I somehow got a special skill that only I have

>I somehow got a special skill that only I have
This is the greatest asspull ever, why the fuck would an mmo give a special snowflake ability to someone

SAO is badly written gargage.

SAO is shit, we all know it, and we know the reasons. But it's been a while and it's not worth to discuss it again, user. Let it die.

The real question is, why the fuck would someone watch SAO?

Tera online used to have a skill called " Murderous Intent " which only the top 5-10 players of ranked Skyring could use which buffed them insanely, but you had to end the season with being top everything time to keep it.
I honestly support giving special skills for certain achievements.

Yes, that's a great idea but giving someone a special skill without doing anything is just an asspull.

that's every Web/Light/Novel protagonist ever

having a special snowflake ability is what defines them as being a protagonist

prove me wrong

Its because you are newfag. Star Wars Galaxies was giving out "jedy" powers to random players. Similarly Everquest had "rare" races you can only get when you create random character with small chance.

Its nothing out of ordinary and not really different now from someone getting top equipment in korean RNG mmos now.

Villain didn't know why he did the shit he did and you're asking this?

Kayaba was a shitty railroading DM and decided that game will end with him going 1v1 against the player with dual wielding, which skill was supposed to be granted to the player with best reaction times.

The bigger asspull was breaking the game twice with the power of love during the final battle.

Reminder that earlier in the show he killed a guy who dual wielded axes

Who cares about SAO when Moonlight Sculptor exists?

>gookshit

Certainily better than nip shit written by 11 yo.

How so? Both are written by authors who self-insert as the protagonist.

>self insert as Weed
good luck, also didnt know author was a jew

Yeah, because you're an EOP.

Says EOP to person that speaks 4 languages.

nobody ever said that a video game had to be fair

I played a gook mmo once and it was full of shit where 0.001% will just randomly get a +10 upgrade or something for free and made them super op.

SAO is shit but you can't really say that they asspulled this certain part since they did in fact say that the player with the fastest reaction time in game was to be given the skill.

>I speak 4 languages because I said so
I can speak 8 languages fluently though.

>it's a special skill without the player doing anything
Someone didn't watch SAO.

I did, I'm OP. I'm currently at episode 10.

It would be a lot more feasible if we had other guys achieve the same special position. Too bad the author doesn't know shit about world building and concentrated on shitty romance instead.

> currently at episode 10.
Okay, you are forgiven.

BTW Season 1 ends at Episode 14. There is NO Episode 15. There is definitely NO such thing as a Fairy Dance Arc.

>Starting a thread when you're not even halfway through
Go away before you get spoil- ah whatever never mind. Nothing we could ruin anyway.

Still, you can only really shittalk something if you know the whole of it.

the guy who wrote sao doesn't really play mmo
he wrote it more as an adventure self insert style story

a good story that has mmo realism and focuses on some aspects of community building in mmos is log horizon

Well my uncle works for Rosetta Stone

And besides, Kayaba never had actual intention to treat it as an "MMO", but rather as a Hero / Villain Story.

Progressive > anime
Prove me wrong, you cant.

We don't need to, because it's the truth.

The biggest asspull was when Kirito became a master programmer and could code shit at speeds equivalent to Data from fucking Star Trek

>have the fastest reaction time in all of the players
>give a skill to further gap the players

> Master Programmer
> Only using Copy / Paste function
OK

Tell that to Tera Online

I can't, you win.

So they're planning to release 80+ volumes for progressive? Considering the pace so far with 1 or 2 floors every volume.

while I don't like SAO, this is fine.
It's given out to the player with the highest reaction time, witch presumibly changes constantly, Make it to the top of their internal reaction time leader board once, and you get the skill. So 100s (and in a non permadeath game 1000s) of players would have unlocked the skill.

you're forgetting the 8 other conditional skills

it's not an asspull when it has very clear stipulations

kayaba intended for them all to be discovered by floor 100, and to have the band of unique skill users and the rest of the game's strongest players face off against the final boss in a climactic confrontation

Actually, a skill that only unlocks if you beat some worldwide record sounds like a fun challenge, imho.

...well, as long as it isn't TOO broken.

>everyone who ever topped the leaderboard would get the skill and keep it permanently
>multiple people would have Dual Blades
[Citation Needed]

>I have been recognized as capable of replacing my idol, as he must sacrifice himself for the good of mankind
>If I continue to prove myself, I will be advancing in his footsteps
Your point being?

it's called a unique skill, emphasis on unique
there are no duplicates

I'm going to be a nice guy, and strongly recommend you stop watching this series immediately.
If you're really interested, pick up the LN. After reading through the first 4 volumes of the LN and the first volume of progressive you should be clear to watch the anime. The reason I say this is A-1's adaptation botches a great deal of the things that made the LN rather enjoyable, and sometimes just cuts them out altogether. If you have any hope for this series, there is far more to be found in the LN. In fact, you may just like Fairy Dance more than the Aincrad arc, because Fairy Dance was TERRIBLE in the anime.
Once again, because I feel fully the need to reiterate: You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you watch the anime.

It's only called Unique because there are no reports of having another player using it.

Heck, the existence of the skill was well hidden for 6 months, so it's possible someone else would have gotten the skill.

Case in point, you can't prove unique means that it's really unique.

It's okay, I'm thinking of reading Progressive after I finish the anime.

Gladly read 80+ vol of kiseki work.

Kayaba states that his unique skill is indeed, well, unique.
Furthermore, he goes out of his way to state that there were indeed other unique-unique skills, roughly equal in power, that were never discovered, and never will be.

That's interesting.

Wait, it has a manga? What's the difference between the light novel and manga of Progressive and which one should I read?

If so, I wonder what would happen if someone else garned a new record while he was training the skill. Would his skill just dissappear suddenly? Or would it be pointless at that time?

This was one thing that actually was explained. Kayaba was a big fat chuuni who wanted to live out his dream story about this fantasy world. In that world there has to be heroes and those heroes have to be stronger and better than everyone else.

Basically SAO was never designed to be balanced or even a real MMO, it was designed by a psychopath who wanted to live out his lifelong fantasy.

The manga sucks by default. Go read the LN instead.

This.

Holy shit, you guys weren't lying when you said this anime was bad. It was never foreshadowed at all and suddenly he's some master programmer.

Actually, it's very likely that if another candidate appeared, he would get a different unique skill.
The endgame plan was essentially 'only the people with unique skills would be able to beat the final boss.' Kayaba's plan through the whole game was to scout potential candidates to replace him and carry on his will for Alicization after he kills himself to create the Medicuboid. Whoever shows a great love and care for VR and VR technology, with a clear drive to see it go places, is considered.
In fact, the whole final boss battle, with the 'cheating death' for both Asuna and Kirito was a means for Kayaba to solidify the gravity of Kirito's new undertaking. "If you're not careful, your path will devour you and everyone you love." kind of deal.
I can assure you that if another unique skill appeared, Kayaba would be the first to see how his candidates would use it.

Just wait until the part where he builds a robot capable of housing an artificial intelligence with intelligence equal to a human.

So he's not just a programmer, but also an engineer, expert in robotics and an expert in artificial intelligence to boot.

>Watch Isekai
>Watch modern anime
>Wow why is this bad

Yet Again
This isn't some stupid shit; he literally just copied Yui's file into an item before she disappeared. I bet at least 50% of us here knows how to use "help" and "copy".
And yes, he was studying robotics after FD Arc on English Forums to accommodate Yui's needs

There are actual reasons why the anime is bad; these are not it. It's the director.

Stop sucking snob's dick.

>80+ volumes
What, the fuck, how many monkeys do they employ to prduce such quantity?

Quite apparently none.

>Actually, a skill that only unlocks if you beat some worldwide record sounds like a fun challenge, imho.
Yeah, let's reward OP players with skills that make them make gap between them ond other players even bigger.

It's just a hypothesis since Progressive is supposed to show Kirito clearing the floors in great detail. There's four volumes out so far and it has only covered 5 floors. Considering the pace, it wouldn't be surprising to expect 1 to 3 floors every volume. Anything more than that would just lose the purpose of Progressive.

Is rape possible in the VR MMOs?

Would that make SAO Progressive the longest light novel series of all time?

I mean seriously, that's about 74 volumes if it does 1 floor per volume from now on, which is also approximately 30-40 years that the writing of progressive would have to span.

I honestly find it hard to believe that Kawahara can keep it up for that long.

>used to
Why was it removed? That's a pretty cool concept.

It probably became too pay to win.

Nobody cares about your shit game you wolfshirt faggot

I agree as well, making Progressive was too much of a risk since he'd end up rushing it again, or stopping it completely. He should have just started a new series while writing SAO since the brand is too big to suddenly end.

>a good story that has mmo realism and focuses on some aspects of community building in mmos is log horizon
>literally trapped in another world and they aren't playing an MMO

Everytime.

>What's the difference between the light novel and manga of Progressive and which one should I read?

They're extremely different, but plotwise, it's technically the same. The same people die, the same bosses are fought.

Read both of them.

Basically only 1 volume comes out a year, and he's already skipping 2016.

>Would that make SAO Progressive the longest light novel series of all time?
Guin Saga (グイン・サーガ Guin Sāga) is a best-selling heroic fantasy novel series by the Japanese author Kaoru Kurimoto, in continuous publication since 1979. A record 100 volumes were originally planned, but the final total stands at 130 volumes and 22 side-story novels.

Ow, and don't mind the dual wielding axes guy in EP 4.

Actually, I wonder if Kawahara and his management ever considered pulling a Churchill and hiring a team of ghostwriters. His prose isn't exactly accomplished or distinctive and the volume of work he has ahead of him is huge.

You are a winner

It's a dual axe

Are you retarded? He was the highest level player.

Someone did a pretty good job of explaining this, but basically if he had access to the source code for the whole game which magically allowed him to access and change it from WITHIN the game in a language built for VR that hadn't been released to the public that he somehow magically knew, why did he bother bullshitting with an artificial intelligence program when he could have done something useful like, i don't know, enable the logout feature?

what is that?
is it an axe with one handle that splits like a fork to have two axes?

yes.
that's why it doesn't count

Watch the damn episode, he clearly attacks with both of his hands, each holding an axe

>Paralysis is ultra broken
>Melee weapons only

How did a shitty MMO get so many buyers

Only if the victim keeps her ethics turned off at all times. While harrassment gets a 'warp offender to prison option', even if the victim can't press said button, I'm fairly sure continued offense teleports the offender anyway. Or disconnects them.
Even if the victim were paralyzed and had their finger moved to disable ethics, ethics could very well be locked by age or preferences. Or, the act of moving somebody against their consent would probably also trigger the harrassment punishment.
In the case of SAO, I wouldn't think taking the risk is worth it, but the female and male both have to consent for nonconsentual sex.
In the end, I guess it all depends on whether or not Cardinal is feeling particularly kinky.

First VR MMO.

If a VR MMO as ambitious as SAO existed, people would have bought it in Day 1. Also Paralysis isn't that broken, it just seemed broken since it became a death game.

Fpbp.

that one's just a straight up blunder

most fans i've seen either accept it as an oversight or reconcile it by considering the axes as a paired weapon, whereas dual blades lets the player equip different swords in both hands simultaneously and use them with a unique skillset

You clearly did not watch the show. There is a difference between using sword skills and attacking manually. The point of the dual wield skill is that you can use special sword skills with two weapons.
Anyone can equip two weapons, but you would only be able to use sword skills with one of them. The other one would have to used manually.

>Paralysis isn't that broken,

You can throw a shitty dagger at an over-leveled player to stun them for a good 2 minutes.

Now that's just grasping at straws.

>can use special sword skills with two weapons.
Was the opposite of that ever mentioned?

because SAO is a meme that got way too far

if wasn't for anime Kawahara would be another hack LN writer that struggles to pay his bills

Which straws, you fucker?
Player one wields 2 weapons. He doesn't have dual-wield skills, only one-handed skills. Therefore he can't dual wield effectively.
Player two also wields 2 weapons with dual wield skills. He has access to dual wield skills, thus can dual-wield effectively.
It's like a priest using a two-hander. It's not like you can't do it, but you are retarded if you do.

It's been some time since I've seen the anime so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there were several people out there with unique skills? I seem to recall the leader of some faction having a unique skill.

IIRC, Kawahara actually played MMOs quite extensively, mostly English-language ones.

Close, but not really.
Kayaba wanted to have epic showdown with him as final boss and other 10 heroes, each with special skill.
But only Kirito showed up with one of the skills. So he decided to go 1v1

>But only Kirito showed up with one of the skills. So he decided to go 1v1
He would have given skills over time. There were still plenty of floors to go until 100.

>I seem to recall the leader of some faction having a unique skill
That was literally the game dev in disguise and he was the only other person to have one

That's assuming it was simply disabled. Kayaba could have completely removed the code to do that in order to better cover himself in case the police tracked him down and kicked in his door.

Also, I don't think we ever actually saw a logout feature in the first place. It may have never existed.