ITT: Net Neutrality truth

Please someone for fuck's sake tell me if what's going on good or bad. Trump is on board with repealing net neutrality however almost everybody is against it. If net neutrality rules weren't in place before 2015 then how would it really be negative. Would companies really make these stupid limited access extra priced plans and take away speeds from lower income people. I'm sick of masturbating myself to sleep every night from this fearmongering shit

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Communications_Inc._v._FCC_(2014)
archive.fo/9ebUR
reason.com/archives/2014/11/12/net-neutrality-is-a-lousy-idea
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Upload access will be limited for (((Netflix))), which is bad.

No one needs to explain shit. Read up on Austrian economics.

it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Corporations will still do whatever the fuck they want on the internet and NSA will always spy on you regardless

Internet neutrality is just bullshit. Nothing is neutral

"Net Neutrality" as we have now did not exist before 2015 and what is in place doesn't seem to do anything on the user end; Everything can ban you for nothing and your websites can be blocked as a private action by a private company to a private customer.

Realistically the FCC should have no say in this situation, but somehow they were given authority that they did not need and do not wield. The FTC sets the rules that we would more reasonably regard as "net neutrality" but those rules are not wrapped in a folder with that name.

Its gonna go through even if they say it wont just like SOPA

Obama signed it in. Soros is spending a fortune shilling for it. That should be enough to not want regulation.

and looks at the face of this poo and the orange buffon trying to repeal it. That should be enough to want to keep it

A for Apple

protip: internet isn't a free market. It relies upon huge fucking regulation to avoid monopolies because the backbone of internet is too difficult to allow free market access.

In Canada we attempted free market internet and now lucky us we have an oligopoly and each company doesn't dare cross paths. Telus owns the entirely of our fibre optics, shaw owns the entirety of our cable, rogers and bell split our satellites and rogers owns cable lines in the east where shaw ends their coverage. They're all horrible fucking companies of course, as is the case with any oligopoly,. But canadians wanted a free market and this is what they got.

I'm gonna explain this as simply as I can:
Do you guys realize why the tech giants like google and netflix support net neutrality? It's because ISP's will charge THEM more for their services, like when you sign a contract for cell data usage. It costs more for ISP's to allocate more broadband usage to netflix servers, which send massive amounts of data over a finite amount of broadband, without net neutrality, netflix would have to pay proportionally to how much broadband they use. With net neutrality, netflix pays the same as your anime tiddy meme website that uses much less data. This would mean, since every website must be charged the same no matter their use of data, the one who will have to make up for that gap is the consumer. If net neutrality is removed, the website has to pay for that service.

Let's see some real examples of net neutrality in action:
2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it.
2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.
2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones.
2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube. (they actually sued the FCC over this)
2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bullshit. (this one happened literally months after the trio were busted collaborating with Google to block apps from the android marketplace)
2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. (they were fined $1.25million over this)
2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money.
2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place.

Although I want the internet in my country to stay neutral i hope Comcast rapes you and Sup Forums is 200$ a month extra

So pretty much everything after the one instance in 2005 are cell phone carriers, which are separate entities from ISP and are not beholden to the regulations of net nutrality.

What? The deceit from you shills have been taking to an extreme lately.

>what is precedent
Where can i get money to shill for isps.?

>Trump is on board with repealing net neutrality however almost everybody is against it.
Trump thinks net neutrality lets the government target conservative media. He literally has no idea what it is or does. I'm surprised he doesn't think it's a detergent.

>If net neutrality rules weren't in place before 2015 then how would it really be negative.
Net neutrality rules were in place before 2015. They just changed the legal grounds under which they could be enforced in 2015. The rules didn't change, the legal weight behind them did.

To give you an idea of what I mean, imagine true sapient AI existed. And imagine someone destroyed a sapient AI. Then they said "I didn't murder anyone. AI aren't people." and got away with it because a jury was being retarded. Then the government decides sapient AI are people officially. That decision didn't suddenly fucking make murder illegal. It just let government apply the illegality of murder to situations involving AI which they thought should have been protected in the first fucking place.

The decision in 2015 was similar to that, legal logic hadn't caught up with technological progress so unintended loopholes in the law were developing. All they did was close the loopholes by voting for a reclassification. They didn't implement new rules.

>Would companies really make these stupid limited access extra priced plans and take away speeds from lower income people.
>Would companies really abuse the loosening of pricing and service regulations to nickel and dime their customers
Is there any fucking benefit in finding out cause I sure as shit have no expectation removing net neutrality will fucking lower prices. Fuck's sake internet's vital and in most places companies have a regional monopoly. The only thing affecting price point is ability to pay, other than that demand is unlimited.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Communications_Inc._v._FCC_(2014)

Here's an interesting Forbes article about the whole media fear-mongering surrounding Net Neutrality and Ajit Pai:

archive.fo/9ebUR

This sounds much more truthful than what the media is attempting to portray. Its obvious now that the media uses dubious claims to push their own agenda, saying that internet companies will increases charges to consumers under this new set of rules, but as Ajit Pai said, this hasn't been proven true in the past. Just like how the media rags on about "we need common sense gun control", their claims are not staked in truth. Net Neutrality is another inversion branding scheme like the Patriot Act made to portray a bad thing as good, I'm going to support repealing NN.

>t's because ISP's will charge THEM more for their services
Doesn't net neutrality also stop ISPs from charging US more for their services?
>which send massive amounts of data over a finite amount of broadband
Last I checked you pay for a rate in the first place (100 mbps for example). That massive amounts of data also comes with massive amounts of bandwidth that also comes with massive amounts of costs to tech giants
>without net neutrality, netflix would have to pay proportionally to how much broadband they use
They already do, see above. What you're talking about is double billing. "Well sure you paid $60 for your unlimited 100 mbps connection this month, but you also need to pay $30 for your expected gbpd usage and if you go over x gbpd you'll get automatically upgraded to the next plan that costs an extra $10 per month. Also we oversold bandwidth in your neighborhood so you won't be getting more than 22 mbps when it's not between 2 and 3 am. Also you'll be throttled to 10 mbps if you torrent."
>This would mean, since every website must be charged the same no matter their use of data
That's not how NN works. Every website must be charged the same for the same bandwidth, which should be governed by how much data they expect to use since it's a hard cap on data. You can still sell sites different amounts of bandwidth at different prices. Netflix and some 20 rustic room bed and breakfast do not pay the same rates for internet cause one has to use far more bandwidth than the other.

>1 post by this ID

Same thread every day

>Net Neutrality is another inversion branding scheme like the Patriot Act made to portray a bad thing as good
Why is ISPs getting fucked a bad thing?

Even if everything the person you responded to was saying was true, nothing about repealing NN would benefit you personally and in fact you could be harmed by companies passing costs through to their customers.

There are a couple instances about blocking emails and outages for people going on strike against telecommunications companies.

Didn't current net neutrality rules come in to play in 2015?

>Almost everyone is against it

Strawpoll showed Sup Forums is split. This is amazing given the constant influx of retards and the obvious lack of understanding of what Net Neutrality is.

It's another mechanism for the government to pressure conservative censorship. It was phase 2 of Obama's plan. Phase 1 was using the IRS.

reason.com/archives/2014/11/12/net-neutrality-is-a-lousy-idea

>It's another mechanism for the government to pressure conservative censorship
Once again, still not that nor a laundry detergent.

In fact, if someone can explain to me in a clear and rational way what in the ever loving fuck about net neutrality allows for conservative censorship, I swear I will explain how you can use net neutrality to remove the toughest grease stains while even letting you wash reds with whites.

>With net neutrality, netflix pays the same as your anime tiddy meme website that uses much less data.
Without net neutrality, Netflix pays more to get faster speeds on the ISP's network.
The anime website is running illegally anyway, so it cannot pay at all and will be delivered at blistering fast 56k speeds.
Want to torrent? Buy the torrent package, which allows you unthrottled torrent packages. It includes a mandatory data collection service, in order to make sure that you are a good goy with your torrents.

>It costs more for ISP's to allocate more broadband usage to netflix servers, which send massive amounts of data over a finite amount of broadband
Because the ISP's CUSTOMERS who paid for their BANDWIDTH choose to use it on Netflix. Why in the fuck should the ISPs be able to double dip just because Netflix happens to be popular? If they can't afford to provide the advertised bandwidth at the advertised rate then that's their fucking problem and theirs alone.

They actually want to quadruple dip.

Download rate, upload rate, download volume, and upload volume.

They're already double dipping.

And they advertise their bandwidth speeds as "up to" a particular speed in the first god damn place and they never god damn provide the max except when 90% of folks are asleep. So it's not like they're harmed even when they don't deliver. Lord fucking knows your only options are pay their asking price and deal with their shitty service or fuck off to DSL.

>"Net Neutrality" as we have now did not exist before 2015
It did though.

2004: FCC Chairman Powell's "Four Freedoms"
2005: FCC Order 2005
2010: Open Internet 2010
2015: Open Internet 2015

More to the point, the laws net neutrality is being enforced under have existed since 1994.

*sips coffee*

Netflix, Facebook & Google don't want to pay for their traffic needs so they freeload off ISPs via net neutrality that bars them from being charged more in proportion to the traffic loads they generate.

Dumb reddit golems are being activated to shill for Netflix/Facebook/Google etc so mega companies can save on costs to ISPs ie. content delivery.