Decides to watch eva again

>decides to watch eva again
>tries dubs to spice things up
>pic related

How can a voice actor be so bad at something so simple?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aPyQ6dHsG3I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is she really that bad. I remember watching the dub as a kid thinking it was pretty good actually, I thought the guy who played Shinji did a good job.

*?

she over over-dramatises every line which cheapens the delivery. You aren't meant to cringe in the Rei Room your meant to feel shock and 'oh shit.' But she's so over the top it just comes off as if she has bi polar

Been several months since I last watched the dub but I don't recall her being particularly bad. I think it is likely more you than her

>it just comes off as if she has bi polar

The sub she is more autistic, so I can see how bi polar is overacting.

Yamaguchi's performance was platinum. She's tired, feeling sullied, and it's old horror to her. She's not confessing, her verve is proportionate to how much she cares beyond assassinating Rei's character to Shinji as part of killing as much Rei as she can.

I felt that Ritsuko's character was the most disgusting person in the entire show. She was directly responsible for much of the pain caused to the other characters, especially the pilots, while at the same time being the least justified for using her own troubles as an excuse for her horrible actions.

Pretty much an autistic sociopath that deserved a much more horrible ending than what she got.

Ritsuko's hells of accessory but that's pretty much it for her responsibility for everybody suffering, she was in middle school during Second Impact, there were already Evas and Rei when she started at Gehirn. For a lot of her appearances she's representing NERV policies to Misato as an avatar Misato can beat in the face and yell at and she accepts it guiltily, then in her scenes with Gendo she's the one raising any ethics or concern for the Children at all. Worst she did was keep her mouth shut, she's about half a Fuyutsuki in that area. Cuntiest she did was treat Rei as a person who could be murdered in jealousy for Gendo to show how much less than that he thought of Rei.

sweet jesus its an anti-at field

I've never heard the dub. Anyone have a link to the audio only?

Don't forget that Ritsuko also made fun of Shinji for him not being able to recall how his mother really died.

She was, in all cases, a fucking cunt.

is from an artbook?

are you actually retarded?

She tells Shinji something he's known all along to set him up for the directly related revelations she called him down to make, she doesn't make a joke. Her cunty fun was sending him to Rei's apartment and the jabs at Misato's home life.

>watching dubs
I can't people actually do this.

the eva dub honestly isn't too bad

I watched it years ago back when I was a dumb newfag who thought subtitles were for nerds

it's serviceable

The thing that salvages the dub, at least for me, is Freeman's commentary after the show.

It's a fucking terrible dub

Yes, it is. Now.

Back when it was dubbed, back in 199-fucking-8, the dub was vastly superior to most of what was out there.

Seriously, go back to the dubs of 1998 and see how much worse most of the others are.

It's aged very, very poorly, which is a testament to the massive increase in dub quality. A lot of them are still shit, but compared to the old days...

If it wasn't clear, I was after the audio files only, not the complete video as I already have great copies of those.

>go back to the dubs of 1998
Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, Yugioh?
They were all a lot better than fucking Eva's dub.

It's not like people started taking animation and voice acting more seriously after Eva.

Cowboy Bebop wasn't dubbed in 1998. Yugioh wasn't yet adapted into an anime. (at least not the Duel Masters one), much less dubbed. The only Sailor Moon dub at that time was the DiC one, and while that one too was at the cream of the crop... well... it ain't all that hot either.

>tfw watched dub Evangelion as a kid
>tfw can't even listen to original because of how deep the dub digged into my mind
>watch dub with subtitles to not miss anything
seriously, I just can't handle the original, it seems so shitty, most of the dialogues are bland, of course at the end when series take serious tone it's quite good, but still I just can't

You liar.

I liked dub Kaji, Kaworu, Shinji, Misato (at some moments), Asuka sounded too mature but emotionally right

Which dub Kaworu? Greg Ayres? Because he's the only decent one.

>is Freeman's commentary after the show.

Yes. That is gold.

I like that people in an Eva thread are praising DiC Sailor Moon.

The dub has serious flaws, but I get what you mean as it gives serious personality to the cast that often was barely there in the original.

Shinji especially comes off as a much more sympathetic character, much less girly and more willing to speak his mind, while being a relateably clumsy dork. Japanese Shinji is just unnervingly complacent, which is the point, but I see why it wouldn't feel the same after the dub.

The side characters are terribly acted, but the interpretation of the main cast is interesting in its own right.

>He watches anime dubbed in Japanese

I actually prefer the dub to the original. Almost everyone did a great job.

The main draw of the dub is Asuka's english VA. I think she's just flat-out better.

I think Spike Spencer did a great job at voicing shinji, he's a pretty cool guy too.

She sounds like a 50-year old chainsmoker. How the fuck could you think she's better?

I think her delivery is much more expressive than japanese Asuka.

Then you're fucking deaf because Miyamura brought life and realism to Asuka.

That's the only flaw, she sounds too old for a 13 year old, but character is well handled (of course, Miyamura is much better at more emotional scenes, such as Asuka's death)

I disagree.

Then you need to have your ears chopped off because you obviously aren't putting them to good use.

Anyone who prefers the shitshow of a dub which blatantly used mistranslations, misinterpretations of characters/scenes, and overall just made the show sound like a comedy with that ridiculous "acting" over based legends like Mitsuishi, Hayashibara, Ogata, Miyamura, and Ishida needs to have their dick chopped off and forcibly shoved into their mouth.
I can't believe I share a board with retards like you.

I disagree.

Then you can't say you like Eva, you can't say you're an Eva fan, and you certainly can't say you watched Eva.
The dub and all those who support it make a mockery of the franchise.

あなたは日本語を話しますか?

当たり前でしょう?だからこそ英語の吹き替えるのが気にならないよ。

I prefer the dub, what cha gonna do bitch?

Suck your dick until you nut so hard you die

はいわかりました

日本語に苦手だというのは明らかだが、よくやってみたな。
It's obvious you don't really know Japanese, but at least you tried.
Asuka is shit, by the way.

>dubs
>ever

You asked for it.

This.

I'd argue that Spice and Wolf dub is better than original.
Also Haruhi - english Kyon is so much better.

Spice and wolf, maybe. But even then some people think Holo sounds so awful they can't stand it. Haruhi no way, even if Kyon sounds passable, just not even close to the same experience for me.

gaaaaaaaay

Have you tried recording yourself speaking something? Maybe some everyday conversation.

Then try to match your voice to the expression of the drawn character.

I would argue that it's not that simple.

>watching dubs
>for any reason whatsoever

user please dont do this

The Japanese voice work might be equally dreadful to a native speaker, I don't fucking know. But I much prefer blissfull ignorance and subs rather than hearing some middle aged American woman harp on about whatever inane anime I happen to be watching.

Eva dub is bad mainly because of mistranslations. Although I grew up with it and can't totally hate it. I like Spencer's Shinji more than Ogata's (probably because I just don't like Megumi, she's too autistic), and Tiffany Grant sounds livelier in 2nd act when the series turn into this middle-school romantic comedy. But of course in general the original is better. When I watched EoE in original for the first time I thought I'd just vomit, because of how kimouchi warui I felt. The original dramatic delivery is much better then dub.

Nah I'm still gonna watch dubs, allows me to know whats going on whilst i work.

>Also Haruhi - english Kyon is so much better.
I will never understand you people.

>watching dubs
better check them

Wow great argument. The old "ya well u can't do better". He also isn't a paid professional voice actor jackass, it's literally their career to do a decent job dubbing voices and it's never the case. You can blame salaries or whatever, but saying "you can't do better" doesn't make them any less shit. If a pro quarterback goes 0-16, just saying "well playing QB at a NFL level is difficult" doesn't mean he doesn't suck ass.

>last sentence
Now you're just being an obnoxious Reifag shit and projecting to boot.

>reifag
>not recognizing the main kawoshit faggot of this board

Eva's dub is nowhere near as bad as everyone says it is.

It true that some of the voices are awful like Maya's and Fuyutski's, but there are also some voices that are equal or superior to the original audio such as Rei's, Yui's and Asuka's.

Shinji's dub voice falls into the "just okay" category. It does a good job of portraying him as a spineless beta, but it misses the underlying sociopathic tone that was in the Japanese audio.

Overall, the dub is neither great nor shit, it's just serviceable. Believe me when I say that there are worse dubs out there.

Kaworufags like Asuka

Grow a fucking backbone, you pussy.

>it's just serviceable.
Not with all the mistranslations, change in tone and all the appropriations of the sake of dub team's amusement.

I think all nips sound the same except for a select few so I tend to lean towards dubs.

>AWWW DOES THE BUS COME THROUGH HERE?
>AM I REAL?

Tends to be the point. Dubs run the gamut from good to bad. Subs, you'll never know the difference, unless they're speaking poorly in another language or it's something REALLY fucking obvious.

Only shows you're not used to it.
>REALLY
You clearly don't belong here.

I've been watching anime since the early 90s, I think they all sound the same.

I like that in the dub Asuka speaks German instead of utter gibbrish

Don't forget this classic:

youtube.com/watch?v=aPyQ6dHsG3I

I like how dub Asuka is a crazy Asuka fan. You seen a picture of that bitch's house?

>but it misses the underlying sociopathic tone that was in the Japanese audio

That's kind of what I was saying before. Dub Shinji comes across as a more empathetic person, which is a positive and negative in different ways.

It's the opposite for me.
Dub Shinji sounds like an annoying whiny faggot who I wanted to punch in the face.
Whereas sub Shinji sounded like a qt girl, so I wanted to protect him.

>German character
>speaks terrible German
>just terrible
>but speaks perfect japanese
yeah, sure, original was good
Yuko didn't even try

Pretty sure Asuka is hafu
I mean her name is fucking Asuka

She's 1/4th Japanese, 1/4th Americans, and 2/4ths German.
She's a fucking mixed breed mutt.

She's 1/4 Japanese, 1/4 German and 2/4 either German or American. She lost her half Japanese mother at the age of 4 and was raised in Germany. Pretty sure she should be more fluent in it that in Japanese. She can't even read kanji after all

>Dub Shinji sounds like an annoying whiny faggot who I wanted to punch in the face.

So the dub nailed it?

Ritsuko was actually one of the better people in NGE, she knew a lot of what was really going down but also knew she'd get killed if she started revealing the facts. Anything she did that seemed bad was really because Gendo and Seele had her pinned against a wall, forcing her to take desperate measures.

Her only real personal problems were her complex with her mother and relationship with Gendo. The rivalry with mom wasn't too unhealthy and actually drove her to success. Gendo was pulling her strings and had intentionally ruined both Ritsuko and Naoko's lives so that he could get them out of the picture when his plan reached fruition.

Tiffany Grant is a fluent German speaker. They really couldn't have cast a better dub VA for Asuka than her.

What do you call a half hafu? Kotaa?

Holy shit that pic is giving me shivers. Saved.

>It does a good job of portraying him as a spineless beta, but it misses the underlying sociopathic tone that was in the Japanese audio.
This. As much as I like Freeman, Shinji without teh beast isn't Shinji.

She's so bad that one of her lines is forever stuck in my head.

>NOT EVEN WHEN YOU MAKE LOVE TO ME!

I can still cringe to the delivery just thinking about it.

Would bang though.

A mutt.

A 2.2.

I personally love the dub.

It's a train wreck at the start, but as the actors find their characters, Misato, Ritsuko and Asuka really do a great job.

It's not for everyone though.

Don't hate on black Hygua and monotone "sweethesusitsanantiATfield" Fuyutsuki

This

Could never enjoy myself while having to fucking while watching TV plus, listening to annoying chink speak

The worst dub>the best sub

*read

I'll never forgive them for turning her into a man.

Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, and Allison Keith all do a pretty great job and understand their characters really well. The rest are a mixed bag. Eva's definitely got a higher mid-tier English dub but the Japanese dub is just near-perfect so it's hard to compete.

Also I have no idea why they casted the bitch who does Rei from 2.22 onwards. She even admitted she'd never watched or even heard of Eva and didn't do so before the recording despite 2.0 being a sequel. How can someone expect to make an acting career if they're unabashedly lazy with their work?

Longer hair is impractical if you're constantly doing engineering work on a giant flying battleship, and you'd have no time to style it when not meeting the deadline means the end of humanity.

Also her and Maya are almost openly gay for each other now that Gendo's out of the picture so she's gotta look the role of the domineering butch.

Because the original voice of Rei directed the dub for EoE, which was fucking terrible.
She was also insane.