Anime ahead of it's time?

It's only in the last decade and a half that TV shows with a continoes plot gained traction in the western world, saying that it's even better than movies. Stuff like Sopranos, Lost, 24...stuff that you would "binge watch". Before US TV, was mostly episodic, crime dramas, comedies and sci-fi.

Anime did serials with anticipation from the audience so much earlier.
Sure you could say Sci-fi in the early 70's in the form Leiji Matsumoto has been done before...but really to me, these shows felt like Star Wars in TV format rather than anything else. I felt the same for Ashita no Joe. It's like Rocky, but a TV show.

But especially things like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop, or even Lain were in the later 90's, were just so beyond anything American TV could offer.

I'm not debating whatever Anime or American TV is better or whatever. Just the ideas of serious TV shows with long overarching plots were done with Anime way before it gained traction with US shows.

?

Fuck no, if anything anime is behind in the way stories are structured and restricted to a 20 minute format.

Anime originals fare better in concepts but don't have the funding to pull off what they need if you compare GitS: SAC to most anime.

The concepts in anime are far ahead but the content of broadcasting is also very restrictive.

>The concepts in anime are far ahead

That's what I was arguing. The characters in live action are still way more human in the way they are written.

Altough I still like Anime better because the characters are eccentric.

Western media evolved in a way where "serious" narratives with themes, characters, etc were limited to film. Part of this is because film came before television and many early films were built off of screenplays adapted from existing literature, which already had overarching plots with solid themes and characters.

The history of television is really fucking weird, and it was highly experimental early on. It was more of a utility and service than anything, and network studios had to be careful and make things which had wide enough appeal to generate high ratings so they could satisfy their advertisers and stay on the air.

As media giants emerged, they were able to take more risks and experiment with niche content that had coherent narrative structure to see if there was an audience for it.

This has been happening since the 60s and 70s, but has definitely increased recently because people are starting to realize how much more interesting these shows are and how it's worth investing their time in entertainment that has a higher payoff.

Nip animators realized fairly early on that animated series were a good platform for overarching narratives because the production was more straightforward (and less expensive if you cut corners) than making a TV show with high production values and also had less risks if it ended up flopping because the contracted voice actors just had to be around to record their lines and not do a ton of takes on set like live performers.

Ah, that's very understandable. I find the characters however well beyond pathetic and unrelatable in a lot of anime.

That thing that Miyazaki said about people that have no experience with people writing people is a bit prevalent.

The concepts are fucking stellar of the originals in OP.

"Binge-watching" was really an Otaku thing, who video taped shows or bought an OVA series.

Now it's a normie western thing.

I wonder what other outlandisch niche anime stuff will become mainstream sooner or later. It happened with Pacific Rim.

I think sooner or later western society will start to be looking more inside themselfs as they start questioning if it is all worth it. I think a show like Neon Genesis Evangelion is likely to happen someday.

Op speaks solid truth. Now I understand why I've been otaku all these years.

>The characters in live action are still way more human in the way they are written.
Which makes sense, since they're real people and not just reading off lines. Actors would straight up refuse to do live action adaptations of the shittier seasonal anime we get because they're so awfully written.

otaku's were always ahead of the game. We loved video games first, loved anime first, loved spending too much time online first, loved binge-watching first. Normies make fun of us at first but eventually follow with what we did at the start.

Was Death Note the first show with a young eccentric genius detective?

Sherlock reminded of Death Note when I watched it.

I assume that trope is really old, and I don't know shit.

Yeah I'm a noob.

But my mother used to collection loads of porcelain figurines before i had any kind of figure anyway.

I think series like Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball created a sense of "I fucking need to watch the next episode" every day/week.
At least, that's the first TV show I ever felt it was that way, TV dramas or soap operas also have this, but they're aimed at housewives. Most action cartoons were episodic. I faintly remember Robotech on TV when I was a little kid, a lot of people were hooked on it, but I don't know if it was really because of the plot, it also felt episodic, it has a great climax at the end though.

As for american TV; I guess Twin Peaks could be considered to be the one that caused an effect like that with the audience, at least the first season.

Sherlock was in fact not the original source material for Sherlock Holmes.

Isn't the modern Sherlock pretty different from Holmes. Wasn't the original charismatic and so forth.

In Sherlock he's like the geeky kid or something

>Wasn't the original charismatic and so forth.
No. He was a douche who shit on people for not being as smart as him and abused heroin. Maybe he's not as overtly edgyl by modern standards but by the standards of the time it was the same thing. Weirdo druggy asshole who people put up with because he is so much smarter than everyone else.

>abused heroin
I'm very sure it was cocaine and not heroin. Everything else is accurate.

Strong drugs make it seem like a stereotypical druggie genius.

I like the portrayal in the TV show as a big kid...or something like L from Death Note.

American cartoons are slowly catching up to us with Adventure Time and Steven Universe. They're mostly self contained with hints of lore in the background. South Park is also trying this to varying degrees of success. Season 19 was great while season 20 was a trainwreck. I hope they go back to episodic storytelling for next year.

>or something like L from Death Note.
L from Death Note is a great comparison. Stick a violin in L's hands and some of Columbia's finest (and i'm not talking about their coffee) in his nose you would pretty much have Sherlock.

Robotech was on another level compared to the rest of cartoons of that time. It was the first time the west got exposed to a cartoon with a plot that continued with every episode, characters that actually felt human and non cartoony action. My dad would probably never watch any other anime in his life but he remembers Robotech fondly

I guess if Death Note were not in Shonen Jump, L would do drugs.

The candy is sort of the same thing. He's not concerned with his health and intakes crap that would mess other people up but he can get away with it because he's functioning at a higher level. I dunno if censorship contributed but I could see it as a creative twist. Remove some edginess/cliche to make your character more unique while still retaining implications about the character.

Yeah I guess I don't remember much Robotech from my actual childhood, I only remember the cool robots.
DYRL is an amazing movie though, did your dad watch that?

DYRL didn't got aires in my country so he didn't watch it. I could download it for him but I don't know if he would actually watch it

Anime should try adapting actual japanese novels and not this shallow light novel/visual novel/video game bullshit

>basically make "Hibana" into anime

that shit won't sell and will flop