Flip Flappers Appreciation

Can we have an appreciation about how this anime uses no CGI and no Digital Animation and sticks entirely to Traditional hand drawn animation?

I can't remember the last time I saw a moving vehicle in an anime that wasn't at least partially CGI, or fast moving fights with a rotating camera that weren't cheating by using a CGI background.

Flip Flappers also reminded me why I fell in love with anime in the first place: creative and imaginative worlds and situations, over the top actions, likable and exaggerated characterization, light hearted tone contrasted by darker subject matter, and plenty of fanservice- double points for plenty of loli fanservice.

I can understand why some people are a bit disappointed that the past 2 episodes have been mainly plot and exposition development to prepare for the explosive finale, but can we at least appreciate how absolutely BASED this show is? We haven't had an anime this proud to be an anime in a long time.

Sorry, user, but everyone is too busy praising badly animated homos on ice

It's an animated painting.

Mate, the show featured a number of animators who use digital animation. They're still hand-drawn frame-by-frame of course, but it's done on a tablet rather than pencil and paper.

>We haven't had an anime this proud to be an anime in a long time
ConRevo was just 2 seasons ago.

I love love LOVE Papikana!

This is the best show of the year, there is little doubt about that.

>It's not digital
Source.

It is digital, OP is just throwing words around.

If it is digital, then I am very surprised. They have done an excellent job of mimicking and capturing the feeling and style of traditional Cel animation if that is the case, more so than any other show in the past decade.

Nobody uses cels anymore, user. Nobody.
There's also no reason for digital animation to look different from cel animation. When it looks worse, or appears to "lack the charm" of cel animation, it's because they deliberately made the choice to cut corners in ways that only digital production allows, or else flooded each shot with an excess of post-processing effects (eg. ufotable). Digital is simply a more efficient method of "filming" animation.

ok, thanks for clearing it up then. So its not that Digital is actually inferior, its just that most studios are lazy as fuck and 3hz is just being BASED and putting in lots of extra effort?

>They have done an excellent job of mimicking and capturing the feeling and style of traditional Cel animation if that is the case
It looks very modern, save for the hand-painted backgrounds thanks to Studio Pablo's work. Flip Flappers has good art and colour direction, so it helps with the visual appeal.

It doesn't look anything like cel.
It's also pretty terrible.

>It looks very modern

I don't know, to me it looks like it would fit in a lot with early 2000s shows like Azumanga Daioh.

Maybe it is just good art and color direction, but I really just get an early 2000s vibe from this show throughout.

Actually the animation is done on paper and then scanned and colorized on a computer

That is mostly the case for the industry, but animators and studios are slowly switching over to digital key animation.

>no digital animation
It is made with digital tools. Even if there was room for doubt you'd be able to tell from the colors. No digital anime I've ever seen has been able to mimic cel paints and I doubt anyone has even tried. And more importantly, the color direction is completely different. There's less pure black, contrast is weaker, bright colors are softer, 'neutral' colors for objects are more common with filters replacing direct coloring for creating the effect of colored light, gradients are more common and in general more colors are used per shot.

Is that a bad thing?

It's not laziness so much as it is financial reality.
You have to save costs to stay within budget. The fact that a more affordable method exists means that more anime can afford to be funded, but that also means you get lots of low-budget anime.

And low-budget anime is by no means unique to digital. There were tonnes of absolutely terrible-looking low budget trash pushed out in the golden age of cel animation, it's just that you probably never watched those. The convenience of living one generation removed from it is that all of the best works have risen to the top of the pile and can be picked and chosen at your leisure, while all of the bad ones faded into obscurity. You get a cherry-picked platter of the 30 or so best works cel animation has to offer. Watching anime seasonally is like experiencing a cross-section of all the good and the bad together, and like always it tends to be 100 bad or mediocre series for each single 1 that will end up standing the test of time.

no, to me its a good thing.

I wish the anime was more like the ending, though.

>This thread again
Digital animation is still hand drawn, OP.

but if I understand correctly, Flip Flappers has less of a budget going for it than other shows this season, and still looks better. Hell, Fate/Stay has mammoth budgets in all of its projects, but it still has to rely on CGI and has much less interesting art and animation going on with it.

That would probably too cute and we would all die from heart attacks.

That's precisely what I want.

We don't know the budgets for either shows, and on the topic of Fate, a producer on F/Z actually said they didn't have much money to go around. Also, CGI isn't necessarily cheap.

When we get the kissu at the end of the finale our dicks will die of heart attacks instead.

ITT: dumb people who don't know anything about anime production

If CGI isn't cheap, then why is it used so much on scenes that would take a lot of effort and time otherwise? CGI looks god awful, why is it used so much if it isn't to cut down costs? That shit killed Beserk for me.

Heart boners are the best boners.

Reusable

I haven't felt so strongly for a waifu in a long long time. Since I started watching Flip Flappers, my sex drive has risen through the roof, I have been fapping at least 4x more than normal.

CGI is "cheap" if the assets can be reused many times over. Also, it's better for consistency which is important for complex stuff like mechanical objects.

2D training and teaching is dead, there are no slaves to draft.

Flip Flappers has quite a lot of companies involved. I don't think it's cheap at all, it's probably the most expensive show in terms of production this season.

>ufotable
Ufotable does things differently than typical studios. They build and mockup the scenes in 3D first before cutting and colorizing the stills digitally. This allows them to throw in their CG effects without it looking out of place like it would on hand-drawn stuff.

I like how OP keeps moving goalposts. He keeps trying to twist his initial claims just so his praise on FliFla and 3Hz can continue.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as digital animation, is in fact, traditional/digital animation, or as I've recently taken to calling it, tradigital animation.
People that dont know the process of animation as well as the terms should refrain from commenting on it like they kmow what theure talking about.
Also, Mob was completely hand drawn and even had techniques like paint on glass animation.

You have either watched a total of three anime in your lifetime, or have never seen actual cel-based animation.

I have seen CCS, I know what cel animation looks like.

Then you have a misunderstanding of what it looks like, FlFl doesn't possess any of the characteristics of painted cel anime.

A couple reasons:
Skilled 2d animators are always in high demand and short supply, so delegating some animation work to the 3d animation talent pool helps to save work for 2d animators.
Modeling 3D CGI is time-consuming, but once the models are made, they're infinitely re-usable. This comes in handy for copy-pasting background details like crowds or cars, and means that something you'll be seeing almost every episode with a highly-detailed design, like a mecha, only has to be modeled once and most of the work is done.

And the base of those models can be re-used across other series, so if your studio produces a lot of mecha, you only need to create a generic base mecha model and then add/remove secondary details as needed across different series. Game development uses a similar trick, I vaguely recall one of the later soul calibur games used the same base model for almost all of its characters

FliFla and 3Gz still deserve praise, it's just that they aren't doing anything all that different than the rest of the industry. Most anime have similar budgets, the fact that Flip Flappers looks consistently good is more of a testament to proper production management than anything inherent to how it was made.

and I have accepted that I was wrong the moment this was pointed out to me earlier in the thread, and have spent the rest of the read listening to and learning from helpful anons teaching me the differences.

I don't know why you are so mad.

>Most anime have similar budgets
I don't think you know the exact budget of FliFla, but based on the production committee list, it isn't cheap.

Most anime have a long list in the production committee.

Is OP just baiting of very stupid?

>Most

Post at least 20 shows with 10+ members.

Don't act like you know either.

Hey, you're the one making the claim that their budget was average, prove it.

But that doesn't imply it was expensive necessarily. It could be the other way around, lots of firms not willing to put much money in each because they didn't see a high chance of selling big.

I'm not that user, I'm just saying you shouldn't act like you know the budget when you don't.

ITT: people actually think animation of this quality is below average or "normal"

Too bad it is wasted on yuri trash.

>make well animated anime
>it's garbage
Every fucking time

You're a fucking retard for posting a shitty tumblr gif when you're trying to show off animation.

More like people who can tell it's not cel

That's what happens when a production spends its money on good animators rather than a good writer.

If you think that has any value you probably know very little about animation.

but is actually pretty good.

That doesn't even make sense.

What? OP said it wasn't digital, he was wrong.

Yeah he is dumb but so is anyone who is going to seriously argue over cel or digital production techniques.

OP also admitted he was wrong when that was pointed out to him like 2 posts into the thread. This has lead to me and a few other anons educating him on animation while we discuss the real merits of the shows animation quality.

Most sakuga shows of the last few years have had pretty consistent writing though? Are you one of those ANNfags butt blasted over the writer change?

That doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint. Why would you want to invest in a show that might not be well received? The best bets have the most investors. You don't see companies like Google or Apple begging for people to buy their stocks.

Yeah, consistently shit writing.

Every sakuga show in the last few years save Space Dandy has been terrible.

You're right. Haifuri was actually really good. Way better than Flip Floppers at least.

Space Dandy also had shit writing.

If you only have to contribute a small amount that you won't miss if you lose but still have a chance of a relatively large return if it all goes well then it seems like a decent prospect. It's all about risk and return. A small investment with a small chance of paying off that could net large gains still if it goes well can be more attractive than a large investment that will need to make a lot of money to ever recoup your investment.

Space Dandy's writing was more akin to a Saturday morning cartoon than to a novel, and I think it was darn good within that framework.

Likewise, FliFla writing was more akin to a Sunday morning Mahou shoujo for pre-teen girls. This is not an insult, I honestly think it would've been more successful if they went for that audience.

I love the artstyle. I just can't watch any of the pudgy baby faces anime, it makes me cringe until I pass out. Plus they are the only show in a long time that properly designed and color-coordinated their characters properly.

I noticed this too. I was surprised they didn't even fucking use it in the CARS. I love FFP story and animation.

You're life is a shit writing.

It had elements of that but you could could tell it was never the case. I'd have been much happier with it as a Precure clone than the nonsense we ended up with.

It's a sad consequence of shows looking nice. I try to just not watch shows for the plot at a point and focus on the other aspects.

If it had more than just good animation, flifla might have been in my top 3.

as long as the ending doesnt crash hard, it will be in my top 5.

Yep, this is exactly it. If the industry just invested in good writers it would produce much better content.

why

Top what, season or year? This year was pretty damn bland overall, IMO. So as long as it has a nice ending it'll be my AOTS and it'll be on my top 3 AOTY for sure.

Soushin Shoujo Matoi is AOTS.

Flip Flappers is second.

The only comparison to Azumanga would be for the simplistic faces with those big expressive eyes. As much as I loved AD the anime was completely unmemorable in terms of background scenery, unlike this.

It seems so bland. Might telling why it's that good?

I personally like it because it discusses world religions, but a lot of other people enjoy it because its a Mahou Shoujo that's NOT non-stop suffering and angst (i.e fun).

Probably AOTS (Girlish Number is close).

Might even be my AOTY if it weren't for Flying Witch.

Yeah but is it gay

>it discusses world religions, but a lot of other people enjoy it because its a Mahou Shoujo that's NOT non-stop suffering and angst (i.e fun).
user, now I want to pick it up. But I shouldn't because backlog. Fuck you.

Maybe?

That image is not gay enough

>it discusses world religions
You mean the part where "Gods" are just magical tessaracts animated in ugly CGI that live in higher spacial dimensions? Or the part where the Vatican agent just uses some random noname lightning god because the production staff forgot to do their research again? Or what about the part where the MC has the power to magically solve everything and beat every bad guy when she stops crying because her power is literally "all the gods"

It does nothing with world religions except piss on them as a poor excuse to apply real world labels to its silly fantasy metaphysics. Theoretical geometry does not work this way and matoi is bland shit.

she mad

what about this image?

>matoi is bland shit.

No bully!

Cocona seems entirely unperturbed by the errant finger probing her hard palate.

>it discusses world religions
>gods are not gods
nice discussion japan, good job

Looks like they are prepping up for a game of Smash Bros

cute image