Gundam noob here. Never was into the series but it looks cool from what I saw...

Gundam noob here. Never was into the series but it looks cool from what I saw. Which gundam series should i start with or which one is the best in terms of story, characters etc? I heard that Gundam 00 was a letdown and should be skipped is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XCntH4cPX2M
youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_lDST4Q84
youtube.com/watch?v=CoplnxPv-J0
youtube.com/watch?v=v_kFgOWyez0
youtube.com/watch?v=BnaC0RgEPCw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Be a purist and start with the first 1979 show.

Start with the original 1979 TV show. It's not only the first gundam show but a great anime series on its own.
Don't listen to that people; 00 is great.

Original might be a slog for the first few episodes but it's worth it

Turn A gundam is the best series in the franchise but it's the least gundam of all the gundams.

Gundam 00 is let down for Gundam veterans, but if you are a "noob" its litterally the first Gundam you need to watch since its actually looks modern and not complete crap like IBO airing currently.

Seed remaster would be alternative. Otherwise just watch modern OAVs like Unicorn, Thunderbolt or Origin.

There is no point starting with old series if you are new to Gundam, since attractinon of gundam is it being "cool" largely, and its hard to get excited for badly animated outdated chinese pictures. Once you are already fan of plastic toys and sold your soul to Bandai Namko, then its worth watching everything else.

Why do you want to scare of of new Gundam fans so hard, going as far as to prank them?

I watched Gundam 1979 for the first time six months ago and I found it fantastic.

Prank? Do you think i'm joking?

Production order.

00 beginning is IBO tier of crap. Then S2 goes full retard.

>There is no point starting with old series if you are new to Gundam
>recommend Unicorn which needs extensive knowledge of the series to be properly enjoyed

Yeah, so did I.

My condolences.

Gundam 0079 is a show that bombed when it aired and got cancelled. It has terrible pace, terrible characters, terrible animation (compared to say airing in near same years Macross), terrible everything

Gundam became popular in Japan only with Zeta. 0079 is only relevant as establishing of the story and foundation for following movies and OAVs.

If you absolutely want to watch it - you watch compilation movies, or now you also have option of Origin. Seed by the way was intended pretty much retelling of 0079 in non UC setting also.

It gained cultural importance in Japan, after Gundam became popular, but then vaned too with UC losing popularity and Sunrise going for alternate univerces instead.

As said - better watch Origins, or if absolutely insistent on original - movies, also they dont fix all its problems, but least cut lot of shit that make its pace and structure so awful.

Have the most recent version.

IBO is just crap.

00 benefits are modern animation and designs, as well "classic" story somewhat retelling Wing and having all traditional elements of Gundam, as well nice soundtrack and OP/EDs and popular mecha designs. It goes to crap, that cant be questioned - but its the only currently presentably looking TV Gundam unless you count Build, which cant be used as introductionary show.

Also, Unicorn needs ZERO UC knowledge. Its based on LN losely tied to UC at all, and all relevant events are explained in it itself. Either way, the point is it looks good and has good action and core Gundam story.

Meanwhile IBO fails at every aspect, G Reko is not really a Gundam and recommending SEED despite it by far being the most popualr gundam in last decades would trigger /m/ uc fags here.

00 is a great starting point. Great animation, action scenes and character designs. Say what you want about the story, it's my favorite AU Gundam.

SEED isn't as good but it's great for understanding the franchise as a whole since it's filled with almost all the tropes and cliches from previous Gundams.

If you can stomach old animation, just head straight for the original. I find the series very good but if you don't have time on your hands, I find the movie trilogy more than enough.

Why exactly are IBO and Greco terrible?

Just remember that you're not really watching Gundam if Tomino didn't direct it

0079 was the show that started everything. For that reason alone it was worth it. Take your shit taste with you and get the fuck out.

I started with 08th MS team and really enjoyed it.
Then watched 079(movie format) ,80 war in the pocket and 083.

The original is good. It's a little dated, but it's really easy to appreciate with a little historical context. Robot anime at this point was all super robot style shit, very few things played with the """real""" robot style, so it brought a much grittier and realistic approach to the genre. You can watch the compilation movies if you just are interested in the story and find it difficult. Really, watching it in production order isn't a half bad idea when it comes to the UC. A lot of the UC OVA's can be watched whenever except maybe Unicorn. (So things like 0083, war in the pocket (which a lot of people like), and 08th MS team)

Zeta Gundam is wanked over a lot, but for good reason. Excellent music, that classic late 70s/early 80s mecha design, and a solid story. I think it's definitely overrated, but it's certainly an awesome experience.

Gundam has a LOT of sidestories you can dive into instead though, if you aren't into that. G Gundam is a Super Robot style Gundam, complete with shouting and super attacks. 00 Gundam aired recently, and S1 was pretty good. Gundam F91 is a short hour or so OVA with beautiful animation, and you really don't need any context for the UC to get the gist of what's going on. (Although the story is mediocre at best since they condensed a planned series into an OVA)

The origin canon is a lot different from the UC canon.

Greco is decent, but its essentially a worse attempt at Turn A Gundam. Its worth watching, but overall not very interesting and Turn A trumps it in all aspects.

IBO is just dull. It goes away somewhat from normal path of Gundam telling about military conflict, instead showing limited conflict and kids troupe - but generally just lacks outstanding Gundam characters, epic battles and drama as well just looks gray and dull. So most mediocre Gundam show since ever, even After War is masterpiece in comparison.

You are an idiot and should kill yourself. It doesnt mater if 0079 started anything, it matters that telling new people to watch year 82 show with crap animation, crap story and crap everything would likely turn them away from Gundam franchize instead of making them a fan.

I would recommend anyone original Macross - since its great show that still looks good even now. But for Gundam, 0079 is worst possible start. Its the tedious grind you go through if you want to get into UC timeline fully (ironically, it starts with shit that is 0079 and ends with shit that is Victory, only really shining inbetween)

Not really recommending, but I find 0079 is best enjoyed by watching the trilogy and playing the many PS2 games that cover it like Federation vs Zeon and Encounters in Space. Not even trolling, you'll get more sense of the scale of the war and characters than just watching the series and/or trilogy alone.

I'll agree that the best way to get a sense of the 0079 universe is definitely with material supplementing the original series/trilogy. It's kind of your classic case of "nobody expected this to become as big as it did and nobody thought about the universe until after the fact."

There were a lot of things going on in 0079, all things considered. The death count was pretty severe since a lot of colonists lost their lives as well

Tell everyone telling you to watch UC to fuck off

You`ll not find other Gundam as epic as Seed and Destiny

youtube.com/watch?v=XCntH4cPX2M

Universal Century is all that matters. G-Gundam is gonna be hit or miss for you, wing is pure shit

>Hating on 0079
>Hating on Victory

Holy fuck user, your shit taste is extraordinary.

Gundam no Pico

Tomino looks at you with pity.

THIS IS HOW YOU WATCH GUNDAM:
Gundam origin (6 episodes)
The 0079 movie trilogy.
08th MS Team (12 episodes)
War in Pocket (6 episodes)
Stardust memories (13 episodes)
Zeta Gundam (50 episodes)
Char's Counterattack movie.
Gundam unicorn (7 episodes)
Turn A Gundam (50 episodes)

CONGRATULATIONS! You have now seen everything good that the gundam franchise has to offer.

>You have now seen everything good that the gundam franchise has to offer.
Where is thunderbolt?

00 was my gundam gateway. Controversial opinions are only about the movie because the concept behind it was underwhelming especially after the two-season-buildup. But Visually it's great and a fun watch.
The show itself is great though. Give it a go.
Also you might not want to start from 0079 because it honestly hasn't aged very well and only purists can get into that. Zeta is amazing though, but has direct continuity from 0079.

Tomino: UC was a mistake
Fukuda: I didnt watch any gundam, but i managed to direct the best sold and most popular Gundam to date. Now i make anime about lesbian prison rapes.
Okada: Gundam was a mistake
Bandai Namko: Gundam is dead again. Activate plan "Geass Sequel" and reactivate secret project "Seed 3"

Did you even watch any of UC before Zeta?

Stupid argument heavy on bias that can be summed up as "I like it so it's good".

>modern animation
Pretty much every Gundam produced after offer better, even AGE, which actually features a ridiculous amount of well animated parts.
>and designs
No idea what this even means. Blocky? 00 is like any other gundam shows, some nice designs, some shit ones, some weird stuff. Overall suits got worse as the show went on.
>as well "classic" story
You don't even know what you're talking about.
>somewhat retelling Wing
Every AU takes heavy inspiration from previous series aside from G.
>having all traditional elements of Gundam
It would be faster to come up with Gundam shows that don't have those.
>as well nice soundtrack
Like pretty much any other Gundam show.
>popular mecha designs
IS and SAO are popular things.

>It goes to crap, that cant be questioned
The only way it doesn't go to crap is by being crap from the beginning.

>its the only currently presentably looking TV Gundam unless you count Build, which cant be used as introductionary show
The modern audience are a bunch of idiots then.

>Also, Unicorn needs ZERO UC knowledge
Unicorn requires extensive UC knowledge.

>all relevant events are explained in it itself
Show don't tell. You're not getting a clear picture with the hamfisted exposition summaries Unicorn prodives. Also this show is so damn heavy on exposition for fuck's sake.

>the point is it looks good and has good action
Better go make mindless Kyoani/BONES praise threads you moron.

>Meanwhile IBO fails at every aspect
IBO has the core concepts at the right places and terrible execution and production all around.

>G Reko is not really a Gundam
Did you even watch 0079? Reco feels the closest to it.

>SEED
Is a retelling of 0079 with extra stupid before turning into just extra stupid.

Oh shit!

And this is why Gundam is dead.

>Zeta
>08th
>everything good
Zeta is pretty bad except for soundtrack and sometimes animation
08th starts really solid but becomes dogshit towards the end minus the sick as fuck gouf fight

You need to get the hang of it. Start with Seed (and destiny. Yes I know it suck balls but at least the OP/ED is cool), 00, then Wing.

If you still don't like it after Wing, then Gundam isn't for you

Wing is ironic meme tier and not the best to form an opinion on gundam desu.

They're basically a multi level filter to weed out wannabees and flavor of the season kind of fans

Normies, kids and girls love Seed (although only girls love Destiny), the more edgier flock would like 00, while only a true gundam fan would survive Wing

If a guy could watch Wing, they could watch any other gundam series

Different user but
>any
You mean the ONE show that came before it?
How fucking stupid are you.

Zeta is good. ZZ is bad in the beginning but gets good after the half way point. Can't recommend it tho.

>Gundam became popular in Japan only with Zeta
It became popular with the rebroadcast and the compilation movie release. Zeta was then built off of the success of those and the sales of the newly released models.

>or now you also have option of Origin.

The OVA's only cover the flashback arcs and the Manga makes some bigger changes to the story.

Those are literally all AU series. Don't say shit about being a true Gundam fan if you're genuinely saying that Wing is the best that the Gundam has to offer.

exists

>08th starts really solid but becomes dogshit towards the end minus the sick as fuck gouf fight
That show is worth watching for that fight only.
>Zeta
Well i could also recommend the zeta movies, but they are not that great. But you need Zeta if you are watching UC.

No AU shows?

>0079 would likely turn them away from Gundam franchise instead of "making them a fan"

How would they call themselves a "fan" if they don't even watch the original show? Isn't that their problem?

They are all bad.

No, the Movies made gundam popular, not Zeta.

Because new anime watchers would be turned off by the outdated animation. If anything they could just read the Origin manga,

this is a shit list.

Take it this way, the original show is so good that you won't give a shit about its dated animation.
Hell, despite the poor animation, the fights have great choreography.

>better watch Origins
Origins is Char-wank, and doesn't cover any of 0079's plot as of yet

Tomino was actually so peak and awesome in the 80s almost all his shows are god tier

>People recommending the 0079 movies over the series
Why?
You miss out on a ton of characterization that way. And the characters are part of what make 0079 a great show.

Also Doan's Island is fucking amazing.

Don't forget that episode where those random foot soldiers planted bombs on the gundam.

Explain, my dear comrade.

Then that's their problem. It's not like the outdated animation gets them eye cancer or anything. Here, /m/ even celebrated the opening of the show despite its cheesiness and the 80s music.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_lDST4Q84

We shouldn't treat newcomers to the franchise like softies or anything.

That's the stuff

its shit

1:07
Pic related is my favorite burger

>I heard that Gundam 00 was a letdown and should be skipped is this true?
00's letdown was it dropping some of the more interesting ideas of it's S1 due to the viewers' bitching.
It went from good to pleasantly average.
The movie's good as well.
People are mad because of ayylmaos and the resolution, even if they fit with the rest of the series.

Well first of all the only real order to watch gundam is in PRODUCTION ORDER and any other order is fucking retarded

2ndly the lack of G, Wing, and Afterwar X, as well as Victory make Turn A worse because their context and technologies make Turn A all the better.

Watch SEED. Then SEED Destiny. Then wait for SEED movie.

>Zeta is bad

The contrarians never stop. It hurts your butt knowing it's the most popular and highly rated Gundam ever and the only reason Gundam as a whole exists because NOBODY cared about 0079

>Origins is Char-wank

That's why it's so good. What are you, a fucking feddie?

this is an Amuro. He is best boy and most important gundam character

most up to date chart

victory is mine

That's not how you spell Kamille.

is the unicorn series better than unicorn ovas?

No don't bother with it. Just watch the OVAs

no its just the OVAs recut

>G, Wing, and Afterwar X, as well as Victory
But they are all bad.

start with Star Dust memory
youtube.com/watch?v=CoplnxPv-J0
it has really nice animation and its pretty short self contained thing

No they're not.

G gundam is outright great and X is a hidden gem that was sadly cut short

release date

i only watched 79 a few months ago,which i loved,and zeta which i though was mediocre up until the ending

listen to this guy he knows

little girls have no place in a battle between men

Kamiu
youtube.com/watch?v=v_kFgOWyez0

>G
>bad
>Having this much shit taste
You disgust me,

fuckin kek

Victory is literally worst UC though.

no added scenes like in Thunderbolt?
what about those "improved animations"?

I am talking about G though.

There are some scenes that are redrawn, but it's really nothing worth rewatching for.

>although only girls love Destiny
user, everyone here is a little girl.

you mean best

>Gundam 0079 is a show that bombed when it aired and got cancelled.
Explaint o me in no uncertain terms how this matters even the slightest bit.

0079 was and is the Pinnacle of Gundam, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. It has never been surpassed.

Unicorn was pretty meh but the OST was on point

youtube.com/watch?v=BnaC0RgEPCw

>0079
>pinnacle

>implying Turn A isn't the peak of gundam

00 is fine, but 2nd season does have a bit of a dip. I'd say watch it if you want, but DON'T watch the movie. The movie is shit.

Everyone will say UC, but you probably don't want to do that cause "it's too much to watch" or "it's too old". if you aren't like that, awesome, go down that timeline.

disregard ANYONE that says G Gundam isn't worth your time though.