I'm going to rant for a bit about Haruhi here, if it's TLDR for you then that's okay, I don't mind...

I'm going to rant for a bit about Haruhi here, if it's TLDR for you then that's okay, I don't mind, and no one is forcing you to read.

I've always found it extremely difficult to describe the amount of emotions that I have invested into The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I have never had a more intimate experience with any other show, any other piece of media period.

Rewatching episodes now is a purely blissful experience. I laugh and giggle through nearly every moment and at the end of each episode my jaw is sore because I've been smiling the whole time.

I think the reason why is because every moment, every line, especially in those earlier episodes, is both a funny moment, and further informs you of the characters and/or moves the plot forward. I can't say that for most anime series. Every one of those characters oozes with interesting personalities, drips with multidimensional facets, and their bright colors shine through every single line and every moment. I can't say that for most other shows where there are lulls and there may be duller moments spread out.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fDFaNTr44lE
youtube.com/watch?v=k4SF5K1_Tbs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was so easy to project myself through Kyon, I started doing it without even realizing it. We have very similar personalities, a sharp sense of sarcasm and dry wit, the best way I know to describe him in brief would be "intelligent but apathetic." It describes me too. Even from the very first line of the very first episode I could begin projecting myself into him because I never believed in Santa Claus either. By the time we got up to the movie, I shit you not, I was finishing his sentences for him. Something would happen on the screen, I would react to it, and then a second later Kyon would say the exact same thing verbatim; this happened more than once during my first viewing of the movie. I was taken aback, it was almost creepy, like the writer was inside my head somehow. But to be that plugged in, that engaged by what's happening onscreen, that's something no other movie has quite been able to do to me before or since. It was like we went on the journey together. There was nothing else like it.

So as I look back over a lifetime of watching anime I realize that no other show has affected me quite like it has. And as I reflect on the show itself, my opinion of it keeps getting better and better. The future just looks darker every day, but the past, even the dimmer parts of it, just keep getting brighter all the time. And when I look back on how much time has passed, I realize that I've been carrying these characters with me all this time. I've been hearing Kyon's voice in my head for years, sharing every sarcastic response and aggravated sigh through all my little interactions with this world. Haruhi's boundless energy making me smile. Nagato's smile appealing to my heart in my dreams. Tsuruya's dorky laugh making me laugh. These characters and scenarios have become a part of me and my life.

The music has also been etched into my mind. I listen to it during my boring, soul-sucking jobs, and I feel better; it's the only thing that keeps me going some days. The music of The Symphony of Haruhi Suzumiya can make me burst into tears of joy. It takes this music that I already love and am very familiar with and elevates it to the level of classic Disney music, it opens up all those feelings and amplifies them to this grand scale in a way that is so beautiful, it makes me cry. I can't hear any of the music without the image of the characters coming to mind and all those emotions of those scenarios come flooding back. I work through them and somehow it's like they've become a part of me.

How can one show be so powerful?

One thing I find fascinating about all of this is how Tanigawa described the character Haruhi naturally came to him one night, as if he had dreamed her up and had little control over it. That reminds me of how Robert E Howard created Conan the Barbarian, he describes it quite similarly that it was more like he was relating a series of events rather than creating them, it was such an effortless experience. He said it was as if Conan himself was standing over his shoulder telling him what to write. Also reminds me of how the creator of Pokemon says that the first ones came to him in dreams and he got up in he middle of the night to sketch some of them out. There could be some great unknown forces out there that speak to us in our dreams. Remember that Koizumi projected the idea that their existence was a mere dream of a god-like being. Perhaps that was Tanigawa's way of telling us that these stories were the product of his dreams. Perhaps Haruhi herself is some sort of force of nature, some elegant angel that visited Tanigawa so he could share her hope with the rest of the world. Hang on to that thought for later.

I've come to realize that one only has so much "fandom energy" to spend on things you love. When I was a kid and through high school I was THE Star Wars nerd. Then, when you grow up and see how much the prequels suck and that the EU is a hot mess, you realize that the franchise doesn't have anything to offer you anymore. That's why I wasn't excited at all for the new movie, and I still haven't seen it. I became comfortable with the fact that I wouldn't ever see Luke or Leia or Han ever again in a movie. I said goodbye to those characters a long time ago. So when the new movie was announced I was just like "why?" I couldn't motivate myself to care. I had moved on.

Then in college my fandom energy moved from Star Wars to Led Zeppelin. Got all their albums and other collections, the DVDs, some bootlegs, and lots of books written about them. But they were a band that only lasted for 11 years and ended before I was even born. I still love them, but there's only so much material to explore.

Next my fandom energy turned to comics. But the more you explore you come to understand that the truly great stuff was back in DC's Golden Age and the new stuff is being written by fanboys who have lost the original vision of my favorite characters. And those crappy movies are a horrible, watered-down, washed-out, bastardized versions of otherwise great characters, and the fan community has suffered because of it. When something like that happens, you cut yourself loose from that experience. It hurts like cutting off your own limb, but you still love the source material, but you can't continue journeying forward through life with those things anymore. You're forced to leave it behind you.

But with Haruhi it's been different. It's never gotten old or stale, never boring, never lacking. That world has stayed as bright and vibrant as ever. I think it's because I've carried the characters and scenarios with me through my everyday life like I have. It's like they've come with me on my journey and helped me along the way. That colorful world, those powerful moments, those emotions have moved with me and kept me going. And maybe that experience IS Season 3. Maybe moving through life with this great experience is what Tanigawa wanted to give us. Or maybe it's what Haruhi gave to us through Tanigawa, perhaps he was just a vessel.

Remember how I explained that other franchises only have so much material to explore? Well, because there is no end to Haruhi, I sort of feel like there's no end to that experience, because I carry them with me in my heart. When Kyon asks you if you can wait a little longer, it's not a statement meant to stimulate suffering because we won't get more stories. Our lives IS the waiting.

I feel like this show has given me a very specific sense of joy and happiness that I can't imagine coming from any other source. Tanigawa gave me a great gift. He gave me an emotional support system that keeps me going. And that is my Season 3. Haruhi, Kyon, Nagato, and all the others, we're on this journey together, and we'll keep moving forward sharing everything.

>You can wait a little longer, right?

Yes Kyon. I'll always be waiting. Not for you to come back to me, but for you to come along with me. That word "wait" has become a beautiful doublespeak metaphor to me. That experience of walking forward through life together with the thing I love is the waiting.

Is this a pasta?

seek help

This evidently isn't pasta, so I'm going to tell you to keep on doing what you're doing. Have fun, user.

nope. But it could be, I don't care one way or the other.
haha!
Thanks user. Life is fun, thanks to Haruhi.

I like your dedicated OP. TOO bad we'll never see them again.

your autism inspires me OP

>It was so easy to project myself through Kyon, I started doing it without even realizing it. We have very similar personalities, a sharp sense of sarcasm and dry wit, the best way I know to describe him in brief would be "intelligent but apathetic." It describes me too. Even from the very first line of the very first episode I could begin projecting myself into him because I never believed in Santa Claus either.
How intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor of you, user.

We see them all the time, everywhere. It is through our lives we experience them.
I am thankful, and I hope that you can keep moving on with others.
You are welcome user.

I think it's time to move on

Man, if only other shitposters put this much effort into it

>TFW have put off watching Haruhi for years
I feel like I shouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole now, thanks for the excuse

Moving on is what I am am doing, if you could read that far.
Shitposting? I am honest posting.

neck yourself my man

This right here is what I love about Sup Forums. Instead of lambasting this guy as "cringy" like every other place on the internet, you just embrace the autism. I love you guys so much, and I'm gonna be so sad when Hiro finally kills this place.

I admire your passion, but you have to understand that this posting style isn't very suitable for Sup Forums, so anons will most likely ignore or insult you even though you are at least showing passion for the medium rather than parroting that everything is shit like most of Sup Forums does these days.
>hur dur cringe
>hahaha autism
OP isn't cancer, this is cancer.

How has nobody posted the video yet?
youtube.com/watch?v=fDFaNTr44lE

you are cancer.

You sure showed him

someone had to do it!

You know what, good on you, OP. I'm happy for you.

How come no one has posted this? Live action 00 episode. Pretty good for HS nip students in 2006. youtube.com/watch?v=k4SF5K1_Tbs

Thank you user, I really appreciate that, I really do.

Did you watch Haruhi when it first aired?

>there's no way this isn't pasta
>people are saying it isn't pasta
Dude...

I didn't like Haruhi that much when I watched it but I'm glad you enjoy it a lot user. Were there any other shows that made you feel this way? Anime is one hell of an escapism drug

>You will never love something as much as OP loves Haruh

Every pasta started somewhere.

The only thing I liked about Haruhi is Haruhi herself.

>You can wait a little longer, right?
It's been 6 years. I was still a teenager when the movie came out. I was in highschool when the anime first aired, and now I'm practically pushing 30 still watching anime about highschoolers.
This is too much for me.

CRINGE

;_;

haruhi is gay

I just watched Haruhi for the first time yesterday.

She is a douche. I started to dislike the character which is sad because I like her design the most.
Kyon should've gotten the punch in, at least that would start some interesting shit with her powers.

Have you even read the light novel?

Its blogposting of the Sup Forumsutism tier
Which is normal posting but longer

She starts off as a douche and (very) gradually improves, though the show doesn't cover it all and also fucks up the development by placing the Sighs arc last (before the movie)

Well it was an interesting read

Interesting read. The show means a lot to me in general. It was my first non shounen anime and the anime I've constantly have come back to over the years. I met one of the first people I've ever loved through our love for haruhi and other anime. For the nostalgia and memories of the show it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Sorry for the autism

Are you on adderall right now OP?

Haruhi is such an autist bitch that takes advantage of anyone she can. I can't imagine how anyone could ever like her.