Just started watching this, when does it get good?

Just started watching this, when does it get good?

When you watch every episode of every series then need an excuse to justify that lost time

Basically; it starts off slow; while building up characters and starting off with and going with jokes. If basically gets super good and establishes the main cast up to around 76; and beyond that; gets better and better and picks up speed.

If I remember correctly some of the first 20 ish episodes are meh in their comedy, but I liked them since it introduced the characters, but it if you want to know what Gintama usually feels like watch the panty thief episode,

Probably the most re-watchable long running shounen

I don't know...you tell me

dropped like a hot potato

The real question is when did it get bad? The answer Utsuro

This, fuck Utsuro. Ruined what would otherwise have been the best season of Gintama.

Gintama is great if you keep at it.
I think it gets good after the second season though I wouldnt know because I dropped it after watching like 150 episodes. So basically I didnt even survive the first season.

Never. I want my 30 hours back.

Yes.

>it gets better after 50+ episodes
Holy shit how can you recommend anything like this? Most good anime are good at the start, at the worst you give them 5 or so episodes to get into groove. Might as well watch 4 or more good 1-cour comedies in the amount of time it takes to slog through the shitty parts of Gintama.

Never. Drop it immediately and try Beelzebub.

Not meaning it is completely shit for the first 50 episodes. Some may enjoy them, others will find them slow. Reason for this is, as mentioned, the build up for the lot of characters and their background stories. Nothing really new to anime, just that Gintama takes a bigger run on this with its cast.
Also while the first 50 episodes are slow, it gets off extremely well afterwards. After having watched all episodes I would say it was worth it, even though the start was a little tough. What you get later on pretty much evenned it out.

It gets better once you hit around 200 episodes.

Nabeleon.

Nabeleon is a great fucking episode.

Wait, how the hell i've never seen this one? is it from the old seasons?
When did they use shit CGI?

That's an actual mannequin.

How does one start watching a show that requires almost 80 episodes before enjoyment begins?

irl/3dpd gintoki looks awful

You're acting like the first 80 episodes are an experience akin to staring at a wall. They're not that bad. They're just not as great as the rest of the series.

But you see a show with top 10 rating everyone loves it and what theyre rating is episodes 90-300, and people who start watching it think "why does this suck so bad?"

Disagree

Utsuro was planned and is probably the char most ingrained in the story.

To put it in a spoiler free way, his relation with Shouyou explains a lot of things. For example the reason why the Naraku and Tendoshu made such an effort to capture & execute Shoyou. How did Oboro know of Shouyou? Why would the Naraku, an elite assassination group, put their sights on a ronin teacher and his students? By that point, Gin & the rest were not joui. Something must have happened behind the scenes.

You don't deserve to have an opinion if that is how you rationalise Utsuro's existence in Gintama.

huh, THIS thread again.

I myself started watching Gintama for the first time just couple months ago, and finished all of the released material mere couple weeks ago.

I´ve said it a couple times just recently, but I´ll repeat it once more: The show´s pretty "meh" for the first 20-25 eps, but all of that is still necessary introduction and foreshadowing material, that you WILL be glad you sat through. The show really picks up the pace after the 2nd year, with the first major "arc", which starts around ep50 or so, being the big turning point of the series. Think Bleach´s Soul Society arc, just shorter.

I do hope you skipped the first 2 episodes, because those are literal filler.

>The show really picks up the pace after the 1st year
FTFM,
meant the 1st year is overall the weakest of the bunch, but the show does steadily improve towards the end. There´s ups & downs, and some people prefer the "serious" arcs over the silly episodes.

Well spoken. I agree with this statement.

Episode 3

Not him, but I started enjoying the show waaay before ep80. I´d say the first ""recap"" episode around the ep25 or so was the point when I could honestly say that I was warming up for the anime; it helped that the episode itself was one of the earliest examples of the show´s better kind of comedy and directing.
The "Benizakura arc", that starts ~ep 58, is widely considered THE point in the series where shit gets real. If that one does not seal the deal for ya, then I guess Gintama´s not for you.

If anything, first timers have it much easier nowadays; they can just marathon through the first season, without week-long pauses between eps, and fairly quickly get to the "good stuff". Besides the earlier mentioned "recap" episode, the Umibozu mini-arc around ep40 is pretty good early appetizer for the more serious shit in the show.

user... I can't sleep...

>Nemurenai Aru
I´d sleep with her, IYKWIM

>the episode barrier and 20 episode slog keeps shitters out of my superior entertainment
Fuck off, Gintama is full

Episode 25
50 if you're autistic
75 if you're very autistic
100 if you're extremely autistic

It gets really good around episode 300 though so keep watching

>when does it get good

>tfw I thought it was good from the very first episode

You mean the very 3st episode

Nope. First episode.

That time machine gag got me good

If you need something like that to keep yourself going you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Just watch it at your own pace. If it clicks and you need to marathon it then marathon it.

Sooo..... The 3st episode then. Ok

I liked gintama after 200 episodes and it became my favourite anime at 219 ! How autistic am I ? Altho I watched the first 200 when I was a pleb and after rewatching it I noticed it was amazing since the very beginning

Gintama isn't really entry level show.

I love Kagura!

That's a loaded question.

you can skip most of the episodes you know.

How to know which episodes to skip on the first wach through?

after the second episode

It only gets good if you're 12 years old and find fart jokes funny.

>Gintama live action movie

Someone explain to me how the serious arcs are bad, I mean I thought they were pretty good

They're not bad. In fact, in some respects they're the high point of the series.

Yeah, I know some of those moments are pretty hype and can really make someone cry like a bitch, I think people say that because they only like Gintama for the comedy

The first 2 episodes are fairly weak and anime-only (although technically based on rejected manga chapters).

Episode 25 has a very different humorous style from previous ones and more indicative of later episodes. It was the first episode I considered really funny from beginning to the ending. If you don't like episode 25, I'd just recommend dropping the show.

My guess is it starts out as an anime and gintoki and the gang fuck up and become 3d and spend the movie trying to get back to 2d

Well, there's the tendency of attempt to redeem almost every single villain which can get rather repetitive.

Still, I enjoy the pacing and style of Gintama's serious arcs too. Although I wouldn't like it nearly as much if it were serious arcs like that all the time (and don't like these final arcs as much due to that), I'd still take it over most other action shounen series.

KEK

Most all of them are really good. The last shogun arc and season kinda fell on a flat note though

Explain

Are you refering to the phenomena, that japanese tend to poll the chapters during serious are comparably lower than the pure comedy chapters?

I would assume it's because monkey sensei wants to depict the them as people and maybe not just villas, a lot less forced then naruto's villains turning good

It just kinda dragged on a bit longer than a lot of the other arcs. It was still good but overall I'd consider it the lowest out of all the arcs

Nah, at least not in my opinion, the only serious arc that I thought dragged was the yoshiwara one. The best arc is the shinsengumi crisis one

The first 20 something episode is fine to skip. True me, you ain't missing shit.

Eh, you do miss a few backstories that can add to the characters later in the series

when does it get good?

It's not good by any means, even though it has it's moments when it really shines, but it gets old rather quickly, since it pretty much follows the same formula from time to time.

The real shit begins in Benizakura arc then it gets better from there, so you still have a long way to go.

Gintama it's basically:

LE SO RANDOM LE SO FUNNY LMAO R-RIGHT GUYS? XDXDXD

with some serious arcs in between, which you find in your regular shounen.

The only think that really stands out are some of his characters and their chemistry.

Anyway, as usual, the manga went to shit now that it's close to his end so fuck it.

>when does it get good?
If you get past the hot pot episode (25 IIRC) and you still don't enjoy it, then it's not for you.
Or you can try the Benizakura movie to see if at least the serious arcs are your cup of tea.

badger badger badger

The manga is worse than the anime.