Has anime gotten worse or better since 2007?

Has anime gotten worse or better since 2007?

Other urls found in this thread:

anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&last.anime.year=2007&last.anime.month=13
twitter.com/AnonBabble

about the same, but the western fanbase got worse.

I had only been into anime for a little over a year or so, but 2007 was a real peak for me for sure.
>Darker than Black
>Dennou Coil
>Gurren Lagann
>Lucky Star
I wasn't a huge fan of Geass, It seemed okay from what I saw, and I've never really bought into the notion of "it's shit but the Sup Forums threads are fun" making a show worth watching
I like SZS too, I can't remember exactly what year that started since there's been multiple season, if it was 2007 then, that too.

I don't think that year has been topped, at least not for me. There have been worthwhile shows since, but not so densely packed into a year.

>more shit anime
>more good anime
>better animation overall
Better id say

It's a very multi-faceted question. As someone who watched mostly in the early-2000s and came back around 2012 or so, I have to say that it's a radical improvement in the overall experience. More series, easier to find and watch, better, faster subs, higher production values, I could go on.

Now, on a series vs. series basis, I would say pre-2007 is better, though that could likely be to the fact that since there were fewer series airing, they had to be better and that they had to be at least good to even reach me, and nostalgia clouding my vision. But overall, I would say things are at least as good, if in different ways.

My first fucking anime was Ranma 1/2 bootlegs borrowed fro ma friend I stayed up all night copying the VHS's having to use 2 machines of, for christ's sake. Nowadays, I can find and watch an entire series in the time it would have taken me to download a single episode in 120p.

More isn't better. And animation quality is the same excepting a few high-budget outliers like UBW.

Better holy shit

Mid 2000's are the fucking dark age of anime before people learned that just because digital coloring made everything easy didn't mean you didn't have to try at all

>same excepting a few high-budget outliers like UBW.
>One punch man, mob psycho, ping pong, kill la kill, madoka movies.
>all average or below budgets
The thing that makes good anime is the creators, throwing money at it doesn't do shit.
>More isn't better
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

There's not really an objective way of looking at it, some may find old school shit to be better, whole others would feel the recent ones are bad.

It got worse since 2001 then better since around 2007-2008

It got much better. Would you really want a season like
anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&last.anime.year=2007&last.anime.month=13
to be the next season instead of what we are getting now?
Winter 2007 only had 5 (five) good anime.

that's a mighty fresh meme, op

>the western fanbase got worse.
How so? I'd say its level of awfulness has stayed very consistent for the past twenty years myself.

More or less the same I think. There might be less huge hits now, but I think that could be more to do with myself being almost 30 and having no enthusiasm for life in general. I used to be able to endure a lot more crap back then too.

>-GR- Giant Robo

Boy I sure would like to know if this is good or not but SUBS FUCKING NEVER

Shh. Some anons here doesn't know what's in that picture.

It's about the same, but Sup Forums sure made it harder to enjoy discussing the anime.

The anime might have been a bit thin on the ground, but holy fuck those hentai titles are classics.

not an argument

I don't watch that many anime a season anyway, so 5 good anime would be fine with by me. Some of them are even anime that made recommendation charts.
The biggest advantage of 2017 is a far bigger backlog, you have a bug selection of anime that didn't exist in 2007.

>>More isn't better
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Yeah, okay, you're actually an idiot.

You need to explain how having more good shows isn't better, at this point ridicule is all you deserve

I didn't say anything about good shows. Get some reading comprehension.

>>more shit anime
>>more good anime
>response saying more isn't better
>"I didnt say anything about good shows"
user you're being an idiot

Do I need to repeat myself? Don't pretend like you can't read what you just quoted.

There are more both. Would you rather have a season with 2 series airing or 12?

You just wanted an excuse to post that

2 duh

That's way more recycle the same formula anime now.

I mean remember that season we had 3 or 4 anime with the same 'magic highschool' premise. Hell even the main girl was basically the same character. Last fall I think?

ABSOLUTE MADMAN

You responded to "more shit anime, more good anime, better id say" with "more isn't better."
Your response is either A. a completely irrelevant shitpost, since it had nothing to do with my post, in which case you're an idiot or B. saying more good anime and more shit anime isn't better, in which case you're also an idiot.

2007 was late 2000s, baka...

can you make one with the paintings in the background of emilia?

Not to defend that' guy's point, it's illogical if we're being straightforward...

...but it's not like the ratio of good to bad shows each season is consistent. Sometimes it's dire and I tend to feel that with more shows we've had more unoriginality, in the sense that this expansion of the number of shows hasn't exactly boosted the number of number of noteworthy shows to any huge extent

That's a fair point, and you can also argue that with more series, the market share goes down, so series need to start pandering to what will sell instead of just making good series.

The main trend is currently shit. It's always shit. It's always going to be shit. There's a thing called personal taste. That's why you need to watch what you want to watch. I want to watch cute shit. Cute girls doing cute things. That means there's a couple choices each year. Narrow that down by "Is this shit actually cute or just fake cute shit to get easy money?" and there's like 1 or 2 things a year that have a mild hold on me. Everything else is shit to me

Consistency of seasons is arbitrary and meaningless, if you had 10 amazing shows in winter and nothing but shit all the rest of the year you wouldn't bitch about seasons.
Of course we've had more unoriginality, those are called shit shows— and no one stated a causation of "more shows = more good shows," only that there ARE more good shows and shit shows, there was no explanation of why at all. Everything in your post was irrelevant, you just stated obvious facts that everyone here already knows.

I dont blame him

Is pretty much the exact same thing, the only thing that got worse is Sup Forums.

Better in some aspects, worse in others.

Overall, I'd say anime has gotten better, it's just that there's way more shit anime than good anime these days.

>2007
In the beginning, anime sucked. But anime continued to get better until 2007, the year of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, the single greatest thing created by humans. As a result, anime could only get worse after an achievement so great, just as all other art, science, and religion could only get worse after the glorious Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann happened. Amen.

Nice meme op. Could someone do a shop with Yuri from Yuri on Ice in that photo instead of Toyota? Thanks anons

>and no one stated a causation of "more shows = more good shows,"
lolwat, that's literally what was said that set this whole string of posts off

>more shit anime
>more good anime
>better animation overall
>Better id say

I'd say animation and plots generally improved, but finding hidden gems now is basically impossible given the sheer amount of shows.
Popular stuff does seem better than it used to be.

I hope you appreciate all the effort I put into this.

If you put on your glasses and read it again you'd see how stupid what you just said was, here I'll put the post into a sentence for you.
"There are more shit anime, more good anime, and better animation overall. It's better Id say"