How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

A lot. I'm a Shaftfag.

It depends on whether I like the anime or not.

That looks like crap.

For anime it's almost essential.

A lot. I'm a KyoAnifag

that's the joke

A lot.

About that shot with the tea and the cactus:
Tea is basically water that was mixed with plants, and cacti are plants that have a lot of water in them. I just thought that was interesting.

Very much, especially the scenery. I'm a Shinkaifag.

based Kyoani, no one else could have pulled that off

A lot

absolute autism

I can't believe how cinematic that event was.

BRAVO NOLAN

Fucking pleb.
Kyoani is good at fluid animation but their actual direction is garbage. All of the shots are basic and Boring.
If you want real direction go to Madhouse or old Gianax.

>muh biblical imagery

Yeah fuck off

Not my fault you don't understand what good directing is.

more if you gave me the chance to formulate a proper response before asking me again every day like clockwork

this whole thing had better composition than most movies

Really makes you think.

I keked, my brother keked

Don't really care about it, to me it's all about the animation being fluid and using the 12 principles. Most anime deeply dissatisfies me on that front, some movies do decently.

>all that forced animation
Jesus

fuck off with your hipster shit!

The 12 meme principles are not rules, some of them only work when doing cartoony animation.

Wasn't that supposed to be the joke?

Why do these threads always start with naruto? Is it the same guy making them all?

Do you even need to ask? The guy's not even pretending to be subtle.

I don't remember EVA backgrounds looking this good when I last watched it a decade ago, this a BR release?

yes

I appreciate the effort when they do.

>Watching anime
>Actually enjoying the plot
>Episodes constantly reuse animation
>Like constantly, it cycled through the same set of shots up to 5 times
>Pretty clear they are saving budget like a bum pinches pennies
>want to enjoy the series but in pain from this bullshit
Oh God why must they subject us to this, the Japanese government should allocate some of their foreign aid to making anime companies produce anime with some semblance of quality control. It would be a service to humanity.

Oh, neat. maybe I'll rewatch it sometime soon.

It looks pretty damn great. EoE especially, since it was filmed in 35mm.

Reuse of animation is common everywhere not just in anime.

is there a dubbed version of the bluray release?

They just work.
If you aren't making something that takes advantage of the medium, may as well just be doing live action.

Nice, though it makes me a bit sad thinking about all the other animu I will never see in their full glory. Oh well, thanks user.

Not officially, but you can add it in yourself with ffmpeg or find it. I think 2D4U did a dual audio release.

There's a version on nyaa that's multi lang

Those guidelines were made by Disney animators for Disney animators, which use very different techniques from Japan. Their efficiency is subjective, I personally don't like how most western animation from the silver era had this easy-ease going on in every single major body movement, it made even motions that were supposed to feel fast look like they were slowed down.

The principles are open to interpretation. The wording I prefer of that is "you shouldn't do linear interpolation of motions because that shit sucks", and it becomes quite evident when you do any animation, as they look robotic and boring.
What you mention of old Disney is true, but is not explicitly in contradiction to your point, more of a choice in style.

What's good about that, then?

Not my fault you disgregard all the things that direction comprises except for the few you understand. No, shot composition and symbolism isn't all of it.

So actually caring about quality makes me a hipster?

Well I'm sorry that vapid pretty colors don't do it for me. I actually want something intellectually stimulating, but to each their own.

That's actually incredible

>caring about visual direction
>in a visual medium
What do you think?

*whip noises* YEE HAW!
GIDDY UP! *whip noise* GIDDY UP!
*slaps ass and farts in your direction*
SQUARE UP NIGGA OR BE SENT TO THE DEAD ASS SEA!

Are visuals the only thing I should care about in live action movies too then?

>intellectually stimulating
this is false flagging, right?

He didn't say they were the only important things

Story, writing and sound and voice acting are all more important to me.

>Implying lack of attention to visuals and cinematography isn't one of the major reasons cinema is down in the gutter lately

No. I really do use my brain when watching movies, unlike most people. I don't just passively consume my media, I analyze what I watch and I'm better off for it.

Yes direction does matter a lot to me. I feel it's important to convey the themes of the story through framing.

I just fucking heard you fedora tip holy shit

I was going to say something but this guy summed it up pretty well.

Fuck off anti-intellectuals.

>Implying I'm even mad at you acting like an idiot

I hope you realise that all that biblical symbolism in eva was literally just rule of cool you fucking faggot

You're more retarded than I thought

So actually using my brain makes me pretentious huh? It's a good thing people like you never get very far in life. Oh shit wait, one just got elected president.

>anime
>cinematography
pick fucking one

You obviously have absolutely no idea what makes good cinema.

Tell me this isn't a masterful shot, and I'll tell you why you're a retard.

Not that guy, but not cinematography.
>Tfw despite the gorgeus cinematography "The Revenant" was still really boring oscarbait, basically a montage of Leo getting rekt repeteadly, where the only pleasure you could take was in how ridicuously they were trying to have him get his oscar

I agree that cinematography is not the most important. Story and characters mater above all else, but cinematography is fun to analyze.

Tell me why it's good.

First off, The stark nature of Makoto's room already tells us a lot about her. She is detached from most normal human conventions, and she doesn't spend much time on herself, both of which are themes that incorporated to the movie's main theme of losing humanity and transcending physicality.
Secondly I sets the atmosphere of the film beautifully. Even on a bright sunny day with a wide view of the city there is still a stark black border around everything. This gives a feeling of a looming presence that is represented later in the film by the puppet master's presence.

I could go on about this shot but I don't really feel like it.