Miyazaki on Yamada and Shinkai

>What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of months ago when I was asked to comment on Naoko Yamada. I went to my hōga for a viewing of "Koe no Katachi." I suffered a great deal in the process. The directing was dreadful; the movie was terrible. As I watched, I noticed that every time a character started the conversation, the director chose instead to cut to a shot of a desk or feet. I began marking on the back of my ticket every time that shot was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the ticket several dozen times. I was incredulous. Yamada's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of directing.

>But when I spoke up about this, I was denounced. I was told that children would now watch only Naoko Yamada in schools, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than watching nothing at all? If Yamada was what it took to make them pick up anime, wasn't that a good thing?

>It is not. "Koe no Katachi" will not lead our children on to "Hakujaden." It will not lead them to Atamanov's "Snow Queen" or Yuriy Norshteyn's "Hedgehog in the Fog" or even my own "Princess Mononoke."

>Later I read a lavish, loving review of Koe no Katachi by Makoto Shinkai. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are watching Koe no Katachi at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to watch Kimi no Na wa." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you watch "Koe no Katachi" you are, in fact, trained to watch Makoto Shinkai.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/09/24/dumbing_down_american_readers/
youtube.com/watch?v=WD9fOLb2Ed0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What did he mean by this

Only smart guy in the industry and Sup Forums hates him

Fucking brutal.

I saw Miyazaki at a grocery store in Tokyo yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Sup Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Sup Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...

SAVAGE

Besides the ridiculous self-praise (comparing his condescending borefest to Hedgehog in the Fog and Snow Queen, really?), this is a pretty amusing sick burn. I hate Shinkai-type trash too.

This is a pasta newfriend. I think it originated from Stephen King and Harry potter.

100% true

yamada's movies/shows are so incredibly boring, you can pretty much predict what the next shot is going to be every time

>Hey character A, can we talk for a sec?
>character B turns around
>cue lens flare flash
>close up on the eyes
>cut to shot of classroom desk
>cut to shot of feet
>short yuribait sequence with shaky cam
>shot of clenched fists
>blur

Still true

It was Bloom on Harry Potter i think.

I had the feeling, but I'm back from work after a long day and I want to post on Sup Forums.

Hedgehog in the Fog was experimental as shit, at least to a Burger's eyes, so I don't understand what he's implying there. I haven't seen Koe no Katachi, so I don't understand what he's complaining about?

Poor editing and choice of imagery? He wants to see the emotion on the characters face?

Stephen King gushed over Harry Potter though, at least after the 2nd book.

>mononoke
>boring

>Sup Forums will actually believe he said this

Nailed it.

>No source
Okay bud, I totally believe you.

>People Trying to derail Your Name Hype Train
There is no stopping it bitches, Onwards to 400million $

You have it. archive.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/09/24/dumbing_down_american_readers/

> "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

> Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Carroll's and Kipling's works had their own detractors when they were published as well, in similar tones as Bloom. They bemoaned how children were no longer being raised on a classical diet of Homer or Ovid.

Harold Bloom seems to be arguing that we should always put away new things for the old, because the old has already withstood the test of time. It's a great way to never have to read a modern book.

People here don't study film or even know the first thing about animation history.

Doesn't stop them from pretending like they do.

>A New York Times article in 1994 noted that many younger critics understand Bloom as an "outdated oddity."

>When Doris Lessing was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, he bemoaned the "pure political correctness" of the award to an author of "fourth-rate science fiction."

>the major concern of the volume is reclaiming literature from those he refers to as the "School of resentment", the mostly academic critics who espouse a social purpose in reading. Bloom believes that the goals of reading must be solitary aesthetic pleasure and self-insight rather than the goal held by "forces of resentment" of improving one's society, which he casts as an absurd aim

Basically he's an old fuddy-duddy who, through his long career as a literary critic, thinks that the only good work is stuff that isn't for the masses and popularly liked, nor things that have an explicitly political meaning or purpose, but that great literature, literature worthy of prizes, has to be both beautiful to read and something that makes you think about yourself.

>Sup Forums will think this isn't just an edited copypasta

>As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

Dammit, now I want to do this.

>As a young child I saw my Mother relentlessly beaten by my Father. I can still recall hearing her muffled screams through the walls of my bedroom as I lay trying to fall asleep. Some nights were worse than others, but I remember the mornings my Grandmother would take me to school because my Mother couldn’t be seen in public. She would wear sunglasses and long sleeve shirts for weeks while the bruising and swelling slowly healed around her eyes and arms. I never understood how something as simple as an overcooked meal or spilt glass of sake in the living room could send my Father into these inexplicable fits of rage; not until this very moment. Not until I saw Kimi No Na Wa. It was the stain on my father's imported Western rug and I see no club soda nor salt to scrub it away.
>For an investment of 250,000,000 yen I will purchase all screening rights to this film with a lifetime of royalties and if you even for one second glance in Yamada's direction, I will personally crucify each of your children.

Yikes, he really went there huh

>Let me re-explain my position. I have a Korean housekeeper named Ji, barely speaks a lick of Japanese. One day Ji walks into the dining room and hands me a handwritten note in broken Japanese, a note which must have taken her over an hour to make. Ji's only daughter just got engaged and she wanted to know what kind of wine to serve when she and her husband hosted the two families for an engagement party this weekend, within their price range of course. I signal to Ji to stay here. A few minutes later I walk back into the dining room and hand Ji a bottle of wine. She immediately begins to cry.I have a bottle of wine with each dinner and Ji knows that she never brings a bottle to my table that costs less than 1,000,000 yen. At first she refused my gift. I communicated to her that I wouldn't accept no for an answer and she finally agreed to accept my gift while at the same time informing me that she will not be accepting a New Year's bonus from me this year. See, Ji comes from nothing. She and her husband Jong raised their four daughters on the incomes of a housekeeper and laborer. They refused to take any form of government assistance because they believe that they owe Japan, not that Japan owes them. The day after the party, Ji's daughter came by my home to personally thank me for the bottle of wine. She told me that the bottle was split amongst all of the guests at the party, just enough wine in each glass that each person was able to have a taste following a toast that her father gave in my honor. Now you're probably thinking, "What does this have to do with Shinkai's film?" See, what I never told Ji was that the bottle of wine I gave her wasn't from my personal wine cellar. Rather, it was a bottle of crap that I keep in my garage because the acidity cleans the grease off my hands after I'm done working on my Porsche. How was I able to get away with this? It is because I am perceived as a winner. Shinkai is perceived as a loser.

Jesus

They're stupid studio warriors who have never leaved Sup Forums to know that this is a foreign pasta.

source?

From his interview with ANN

I saw Miyazaki at a grocery store in Tokyo yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

This guy needs a waifu.

This one was already posted, you fucking retard.

I was only 9 years old. I loved Miyazaki so much, I had all the Ghibli merchandise and movies. I pray to Miyazaki every night before bed thanking him for the life I've been given. Miyazaki is love I say, Miyazaki is life. My dad overhears me and calls me a faggot. I knew he was just jealous of my devotion for Miyazaki. I called him an otaku. He slaps me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and its really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel something touch me. Its Miyazaki. I am so happy. He whispers into my ear "anime was a mistake". He grabs me with his powerful animator hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Miyazaki. He penetrates my butthole. It hurts so much but I do it for Miyazaki. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Miyazaki. He roars a mighty roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Miyazaki looks him straight in the eye and says "i have a crippled friend at my workplace". Miyazaki leaves through my window. Miyazaki is love, Miyazaki is life

>>All these anons with empty fucking brains falling for the pasta with such pride

Nice bait. Shinkai is garbage. Joe no Karachi is a masterpiece.

Stop reverse trolling.

I saw Miyazaki at a KFC restaurant in Tokyo yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen boxes of chicken strips in his hands without paying.

When she took one of the chicken strip boxes and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each box and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by rubbing the strips on his scalp really loudly.

>Shinkai is garbage. Joe no Karachi is a masterpiece.

Well he isn't wrong, but it's not like his movies are full of his own cluster of shitty cliches and tropes as well.

lmao

He is correct. The only director worthy of his praise is Yamakan.

Thanks God KyoAni has Ishidate as new star and Yamada is practically not involved in Hibike S2 where Ishihara and new generation of diretros like Fujita do a fine job.

>Hedgehog in the Fog was experimental as shit,
It wasnt to Russian eyes, since all our animation is like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=WD9fOLb2Ed0

Your name will win the Oscar, mark my words.

Miss Hokosai will, since its LGBT movie.

that's not even from this year

jesus christ, heavy.

Shinkai and Yamada should date desu.

Shinkai is married

What's his opinion on Yamakan?

>the man responsible for hyouka and kyoukai no kanata
Absolute trash

> Hedgehog in the Fog was experimental as shit
Are really you a piece of rotting flesh connected to a computer? It is one of the most direct humane masterpieces.

I don't understand how people can live on Tom & Jerry level for all their lives.

3D... erm... RG shit.

The last hero of Sup Forums, a silent guardian of anime, a watchful protector of 2D animation, the dark knight

High kek
8/10