What age are you watching Shōnen at

At age 21, I can't bear to watch Shōnen anymore. It completely bores me, which I think is natural to some point.
I loath most Shōnen components, but it is kind of annoying I can't enjoy the type of shows I used to
Do you guys still watch Shōnen?
When age did you stop?

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/animelist/giladapt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm 19 and will be 20 next year and I still watch it. There's nothing wrong with the genre itself, but rather individual shows.
Take Hitman Reborn for example. It's a wonderful show, albeit extremely slow in the beginning making it tough to get into.
Whereas One Piece just continues to spiral downwards in terms of everything. Dragged out scenes, shitty artwork, less than 12 minutes of actual new content in a fucking episode with the rest wasted on recapping and a 2 minute op. It's insane how far this show has fallen.

Who knows if I'll stop? I barely watch anime these days anyways. I'm more of a LN/Manga guy now.

Shounen is not a genre.

28. Still waching majority of shonens.

/thread

Learn the difference between genres and target demographics

22, and thought most of the series called shonen bore me to death now, I still like some of them as Boku no Hero or even Fate/ stuff.

As the other anons said, shonen is a target demographics and yeah, it's natural we don't like it that much the older you get.

I'm assuming you mean battle shonen and the like often featured in Jump magazines

I'm in my mid 20's. At around your age or a little younger I was sick of battle shonen in general, especially the popular ones in the west shoved down everyone's throats. On a whim I decided to try One Piece even though I had low expectations and was happily surprised. It's an absolute blast and joy to go through, a true adventure on an incredible scale with a great main cast.

The other action series I follow are mostly seinen

Just turned 27 and I still watch most action shounen like Boku no Hero Academia

Who said it was a genre?

Where did I say it was a genre?
I'm asking when did you stop (if) watching anime with that target demographic. Did that interest subside?
Anime shown in Shōnen Jump

Battle Shōnen would of been better wording, yeah

30 years old and still going.

You implied it very heavily.

The amount of anime airing in recent times have been anime adapted from VN's.
Why'd you make the irreversible change to manga?

Huh, I was reluctant to start Boko no hero and quite contradictory enjoyed it albeit the arguably bad pacing.
some of the fate/ got me into it. Some didn't. Late and still fresh in and in the middle of finding out if I like it or not

I'm 25 and I prefer shounen typesets to what I did at 21.

It's definitely not my favorite genre, but there have been so many fucking failures for the josei/seinen/shoujo demographics lately.

I really enjoy sports too, which are hard to classify as typecast for shounen/seinen.

i've always read manga alongside annie may
i should also add that I read VN more than manga and light novels combined
going through tsukihime right now

it doesn't matter and Obviously it can be spoken just like a genre. Not like it makes any difference anyway

Stopped at 15, started again at 27. Just because you don't like it at the moment doesn't mean you've grown out of it, it just means that the themes don't resonate with you at this point in time. You'll probably be a totally different person 10 years from now, so who knows what your interests will be then?

>just like a genre
No.

How big a chuck would it take up of your favorites. What kinda stuff is in your top list

>How big a chuck would it take up of your favorites.
A rough estimate, 30-60%?

>What kinda stuff is in your top list
Good ones.

>>Just like
>Turning a objective statement into a subjective statement
>A subjective statement of an opinion
>A subjective statement of a subjective subject

I don't even know what you are trying to say anymore.
It's like you are trying to back out of your embarrassment by making intentionally illegible posts. But maybe you just struggle with the English language.

My top are Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile, aku no hana, and probably something like Eureka Seven.

I still prefer well written semi realistic coming of age stories the most, but the quality has really come down. Even sangatsu which I was overjoyed to see get an adaptation has a few episodes backlogged. (Shaft adaptation sucks ass, but thats irrelevant).

I still appreciate/like/am inspired by well written non shounen titles, but when I'm just watching the weekly episode, I find myself drawn to sports anime and easy to watch shounen esque titles the most.

No idea what DRIFTERS is, probably seinen, but I adore it. Really fun and enjoyable.

it's for sure a very blurred line and maybe would be better off ignored

I spread myself out over the demographics; Though there are certain genres that just deter me even if I knew I'd like them like car anime and conventional sport anime

You can speak about battle Shōnen like a genre because it simply IS a typical group of genres, with a usual/recurring execution.

24 and i do read shounens like Dragon Ball Super and
Vandel Buster (they are continuing the manga after more
than 10 fucking years hiatus) but gotta admit that i
tend to read the ones that are already finished, those
two are the only i wait for new chapters.

>You can speak about battle Shōnen like a genre
Indeed.
But as you have already noted, you failed to say "battle shonen" in the OP, and when people pointed out that shonen was not a genre, you specified that you were talking about the target demographic.
So when I said you heavily implied "it", I was referring to shonen being a genre, not battle shonen.

Pay attention.

>it's a "autistic pseudo elitists shitpost because someone didn't explicitly state shounen is a demographic" episode

Seriously, just fucking kill yourselves, you clearly got the point and the fact doesn't really matter.

>you clearly got the point
That OP is retarded? yeah we got that. We just tried to entertained ourselves a little bit in this depressingly pointless thread.

>"autistic pseudo elitists shitpost"
That would describe the OP pretty well.

I definitely agree that OP is probably teetering into the "look at my 3x3 i have such awesome taste" territory, but you are equally as stupid for that first comment.

I wouldn't thought it would of been easy to see through and get the essence without being so anal about wording. Albeit, as battle Shōnen can be considered a group, the same could go for, you could say, romance Shōnen. just typical themes for a younger demographic.

But it's pointless to argue and have a fucking English lesson and a roundabout fuck fest.
so Pretty much nailed it.
I'll get the knife, s-senpai

You are talking to OP.

>kissanime
How low will you sink?

26 here.
I still watch some shonens as a way to kill some time, but I have known most of them are garbage for about a decade.
What really bothers me is that Sup Forums is full of people that defends them like they were actually good, complaining about elitism or something and "why can't you just enjoy something enjoyable" or "ah you only watch the "good stuff" right? deepdog.jif"

24 and I completely stopped reading/watching battle type shounen manga. Even after all this years I barely finished reading naruto (not bothering with boruto) and still have to find motivation and will to finish bleach .

I guess I started to lose interest in shounen type (especially battle type) of anime/manga between when I was 21-22. Though I still do enjoy sport shounen for example diamond no ace, yowamushi pedal, haikyuu, ippo etc. I find them quite inspiring and enjoyable.

Oh no! don't insult my streaming site!!

I think I also stopped reading most battle Shounen around your age, except maybe One Piece, though recently I'm starting to read some new ones like Sesuji or BokuAca, I still don't think I'll be able to go back to my battle shounen period like it was 6-7 years ago.

SOL has been my shit for 5 years now and I don't get tired of them, but of course I read all genres.

Out of 10 favorite titles, about 5-6 are shonens, i think.

Most media have large amounts of people with just that mentality. And yeah, it sucks.

I agree it's not about 'the best', about which is better.
Anime like Nichijou or Arakawa under the bridge (might be bad examples) that just try to be themselves and don't get competitive or try and do more than that

My top 5 are:
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Monster
HxH 2011
Death Note
FMAB

So I suppose a lot of it are shounen.

Interesting.
SOL's have such a nice area to dance around it, which almost sounds contradiction, but the execution can really land a hit on the head of the nail of my enjoyment. I totally agree.

In my late 30's

Still enjoying DB,Gintama and some other shows like that.

I'm 27. I mostly just don't watch anime anymore. I get deja vu pretty frequently when I go back and try with brand new stuff.

I used to watch ~50 series a year. I'm down to like 2.

I'm 29 and I liked Hunter X Hunter's Chimera Ant arc (but none of the other arcs).
That arc makes the anime, shounen or not.
Can't think of any other shounen I like, it's all generic shit. Unless you go to the 80s/90s

>watching the One Piece anime

I think Death Note and Monster are considered seinen.

Nah I mostly watch seinen now or just cgdct which is also seinen. Only battle shonen which still interest me is One piece but I haven't watched an episode for a long time and will only resume when its about to end.

still watch/read some shounen

A lot of modern shounen is just isekai garbage. Shounen battle manga is sort of declining, as well.

I don't really blame you for disliking the tropes, but you sound like an ignorant prick if you don't separate demographics, genres, and titles.

Shounen is a genre though.

3 of them arent even shonen

Jump isn't the only magazine for shonen manga. Man, you really suck at this. Your posts are all over the place.

26 y.o. male, most of what i watch, read and like is shonen. i also like pixar movies. the fact that you let the proposed target audience affect what you should and souldn't watch is stupid. i also watch shojo. according to my tracking site i only watched Kids on the Slope of josei. Ofc I also like seinen.

It's not me limiting what I watch, it's more the trend of increasing displeasure from watching the shows with that demographic. It can sound retarded to say "I don't like something that's not in my area, anyway!" but it's more of the effect. of when and to what extent.

Why would you type out this sperglord shit? This is an english board, the accepted romanisation of a long o sound is just ou. Type しょうねん or 少年 if you want to look "cool", but using filthy europoor characters is just the saddest shit imaginable.

This kind of argument doesn't make much sense when My Hero Acedemia was the best battle shounen show in the last decade or so.

I'm sorry you grew up and realised Naruto and Bleach were always dogshit.

>Anime shown in Shōnen Jump

It's more of an average of typicals and commons leading to that general idea. Don't get me wrong, I don't presumptuously omit watching simply because of said tag. It's just a prevalent average.

>watch
I read manga

>shonen
You don't know what that means. Shonen is not a genre, Yotsuba is shonen I guess I won't read it anymore and go for Umaru because Umaru is seinen

You 2 are stupid.

>Legend of Galactic Heroes (R - 17+ the same as Death Note so Shonen)
>Monster (Big Comic Original - seinen magazine)
>HxH 2011 (weekly shone jump manga)
>Death Note (weekly shone jump manga)
>FMAB (Monthly Shonen Gangan manga)

FMA
Death Note
HxH

Shonen

no its not, its a simple "o" Viz's magazine proves that, if you are going to correct someone at least do it right.

LOGH is a novel series and therefore it's not shonen or seinen.

And if we go by that, the manga of LOGH is seinen.

There's nothing about saying they're bad, and there's nothing said about quality; Merely taste. Don't you get that?
They still have a place in the heart, just future episodes wouldn't entice, or watching it from now, instead of then

it still has a target audience though, books do have a target audience. just like harry potter and hunger games are teen (shonen) books. i just don't know the series so I'm not sure which is it.

I didn't realise Viz invented the word now. Shounen is just as valid as Shonen, but the point I was making is that Shōnen isn't ever valid.

point one: I read My Hero and like it.
point two: my hero copies Naruto a lot.
the sports festival was a blatant copy of the Jounin exame, same number of qualifiers, 2nd event was grab an item from the other team to win, 3rd event individual battles. Yeah yeah tournaments exist in all shonen manga but this was clearly ripped of Naruto with added spin.
the One for All vs All for One is the same shit as Indra vs Ashura, a Caim and Abel for the next generations. It's the same trope with the same twist.

but it is valid.

It's not valid. If you can't write in English, you shouldn't be here.

Shōnen (少年?), shonen, or shounen, is a kango word that literally means "few years", and denotes a typical boy from elementary school through high school age. It is used in everyday conversation for a youth, including in legal wording, without regard to gender.
-Wikipedia

You're really not making any points here. ō is a part of the IPA, which has no place on an English-speaking site.

I watch it with my bro. Who would've thought that watching anime together could be so fun?

Watching with my friends, it always ends up with shit talking

19, mostly watching shounen because I'm at the maturity level of a 12 year old.

start reading shoujo

>17+
>shonen
>implying teens will like LoGH

damn i just remember that even the first invasion on UA is the same as the invasion on Konoha by Orochimaru in the Jounin exam. Calling Naruto shit while reading something that takes a lot from it is dumb.

>SOMEONE WON'T LIKE THE OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED, ULTIMATELY WORSHIPED MAL (HAHA) FAVORITE, LoGH

I'm 27 years old and prefer battle shounen to shit like Flip Flappers, K-ON! and Gurls Und Panzer.

most teenagers watch and like high action content with low presense of mind required, like Gurren Lagann, I cant see how something so low on action like LoGH could be popular among teenagers. A few outliers may like it, of course, but I dont think its ever going to be popular among the general population of teenagers.

okay taste senpai

>Yotsuba is shonen I guess I won't read it anymore and go for Umaru because Umaru is seinen
why not both?
the majority of shounen, don't even get why Yotsuba is a master piece and Himouto Umaru chan is a nice manga, they are to focused on boobs

both your taste and flip flappers are shit.

Please rate my taste more: myanimelist.net/animelist/giladapt

Reborn is one of the worst pieces of trash to be drawn on paper. How can anyone rate it above anything hits me harder than that wall hit the sword kid.

24 and still read it. Albeit I take it much more laid-back than 10 years ago. I remember when I couldn't wait for a new chapter to come and got tremors when in OP Supernovas were shown. That was wonderfull, I really enjoed the emotions One Piece brought me. Guess the target demographic term was on spot. Novadays I take it easy, work takes my time and I guess I did grow up a little, so I don't get shivers but do enjoy reading shonens for pictures or even stories. I stick to the finished series or popular ongoings since it gives a solid chance of series being scanlated up to the end. Hate it when you get into it and then available scans just stop. Would like to get into less known but good series, yet the chance of scans stopping is high.
I see the imperfections, cliches or predictable moments in shonens, but that doesn't stop me from giving some time each week to manga. I see them as an unavoidable and take it easy. No rage, angry posting on Sup Forums over plot taking predictable turn or characters acting cliche or "character building moment" being shoved into the manga. I just relax and enjoy a free ride. Reading shonen is mostly like a popcorn movie - I don't expect depth, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it for what it is. Plus makes me feel easier by reminding me of simplier teenage times. For a handholdless virgin it sometimes is necessary to remember times when I had hope for the tomorrow and things youth can give. Even if I get socialization or even gf it just won't feel the same as when you're a teenager. So a bit of manga takes the load of my chest.
What I follow now is One Piece, JJBA, Attacking Titan (guess that's the right translation ha-ha), BnHA and look forward to Togashi getting back to the table. Guess Berserk is also on the list. Don't list the finished mangas I reread.

You're a quick anime watcher user-kun

>linking mal account
>liking so many gay homosexual shows
Go back to where you came from cancer

I've been on Sup Forums for years. Never used any other anime forum.

The ending was hilariously bad. 409 chapters later and he's still useless as fuck.
>B-b-b-ut I have friends now.

I watch and do whatever I want. Why are you all so fucking insecure.

Look at this motherfucker. Sticking to his guns.

I'm 30. I didn't stop. Shounen is a too braod a term to talk about like this. Yeah, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach... they bore me. But there are many other shounen that don't.

what don't? What are your favourite?

I'm 25. Dropped all shounen except for two that I will follow until they end. Most of them became boring and cliche as I grow older (One Piece for example) or story became retarded (Fairy tail or Magi for example). The new ones (Boku no Hero Academia or Black Clover) are really bad, they have nothing interesting or new (story/character), but I guess 10 year old kids, who never read early 2000 shounen, will love them cause it is their first shounen. And I know a lot of 10 year old kids visit Sup Forums, so I'm not really surprised that those manga have threads.

Target demos are a kind of genre.
I get that it's fun to call people retards for misusing the word genre, but you're wrong. Genre is a catch-all term referring to any possible grouping of works.

At 29, I'm finally getting back into it with HxH and a fulfillment of a ten year long promise to myself to watch Gintama.

>>linking mal account
>Forum Posts 0
>Reviews 0
>Recommendations 0
>Blog Posts 0
He seems to be using MAL in the only acceptable way. However
>Episodes 13,500
>Completed 103
What the fuck.

I'm 18 and getting bored of the genre already. Used to love One Piece and Boku no Hero a lot but I can't just into them anymore.

>What kinda stuff is in your top list
EGAO SATAN

The word you are looking for is 'category'. And yes, you kinda can expect a certain tone and specific themes and tropes from each label of the different labels of target demographics.