In hindsight was it really that bad?

In hindsight was it really that bad?

What's supposed to be bad about it?

It's super violent and has lots of rape.

Yeah, but what's supposed to be bad about it?

Beats me, that's what I made the thread for.

nothing wrong with the series in general, both of those things are incredibly good

It's too long.

In hindsight, it was fucking great

If the dub was less Devilman and more Mad Bull it would have been 2x better

Not at all.
I don't generally know anyone who dislikes Go Nagais work, or at least doesn't credit Uncle Go for what he's done.

Nagai has a bad rap among normalfags and anime "reviewers" like Bennet the sage

lel figures
Nagai's stuff is great for what it is supposed to be, just unapologetic fun.

A lot of Nagai's stuff isn't just unapologetic fun, it can be social comentary or downright horror. Violence Jack has a lot of social message and reflexion about the human nature between the tits and the gore

Horror fiction is supposed to be fun too, it's entertainment.
Violence Jack might have a message but it's still around pulp. I'm not putting Nagai down, just an observation why the certain types wouldn't respect him.

Yeah the same types who watch moeblob#5432 for its deep message.

His work is more interesting as a comment of a time and generation I will never personally experience. It's amazing how people used to have anxieties about weed and rock and roll, yes people that were in a serious risk of starting WW3 were worried that rock and roll is going to destroy their children. It goes straight from socially aware horror to comedy, sometimes intentionally and sometimes simply because of the time in which it was written.
Another thing I find strange is how the occult used to be this new thing only cool kids were into. How many people now browse /x/ unironically? Two, three?

Just because the jew has made weed "cool" doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Yeah social commentaries lose some of their effect as time goes on, or at the very least you must understand the time period and social/political atmosphere they were written in.
Nagai, though, is often unintentionally funny needless of whether he was reflecting society just there or not.
Yes, but it isn't as widely considered to be that anymore. A social change has affected it.
Let's not turn this into a discussion about recreational intoxicants. The 'dude weed lmao' idiots will crawl out of woodwork

>anime "reviewers" like Bennet the sage
Benis is a fucking retard that not only has terrible taste and 0 critical understanding, he's one of the most nostalgia blind reviewers out there and is incredibly biased. Doesn't help he is also criminally unfunny.

I used to smoke once or twice per year, until I got cucked by a stoner and stopped out of protest. One of the best decisions I made in my life.

How surprising that someone who has to beg people for a dollar and probably lives with his parents is also criminally unfunny. It's almost like youtubers are the scum of the earth, even compared to us.

All of it. It was grimdark shit