After watching Kemono no Souja Erin...

After watching Kemono no Souja Erin, Mugen no Ryvius and Juuni Kokuki in the middle of the winter 2016 season I came to realize that modern anime is shit. Even the good shows of the season like Natsume Yuujinchou Go, Flip Flappers and Drifters are garbage compared to the older classics. What happened? And don't say it's just moe that is shit because it isn't.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U4f2yyI8aD8
youtube.com/watch?v=K0lQNuRoP2Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mob Psycho is better than all this trash. Kemono and Juuni were pretty bad from a production angle all things considered

>flip flappers
>good

>Kemono
>2009

kill yourself.

Your statement is true though, I'll give you that.

>Kemono no Souja Erin
>Mugen no Ryvius
>Juuni Kokuki
Are you looking for some hard critiques for those shows? Or you're newfag who never watched Juuni Kokuki in ongoing?

MP100 was so fucking terrible I had to drop it in the middle of EP1. REEEEE:Zero was a million times better

Compared to the rest of the shows this season, yeah definitely

A lot has changed in the past few years. I'd rank Kemono on the same level as Haibane Renmei and Kino no Tabi

I started watching anime during the winter 2013/2014 and I've seen about 500 shows so far. Those 3 shows were really good. Ryvius was the weakest but it might just be the age showing

But Kemono no Sonja was shit. Literally "wtf I love eagles now" the anime

>I started watching anime during the winter 2013/2014

>A lot has changed in the past few years. I'd rank Kemono on the same level as Haibane Renmei and Kino no Tabi

All modern anime, retard.

It was really comfy and it made you actually care about the characters and what happened to them. It also had some decent world building

Pls no bully
My first animu was S&W aside from Poké- and Digimon, but it was when I saw SAO in 2013 that I really got into it :^)

>modern anime
But the one you praised are "modern" anime.
BTW, I'm reading all Juuni Kokuki books now, finally I'll discover how Taiki's story ends. And more important, if Risai's smile will be protected.

Kindly fuck back off to r9k.

I didn't think Erin was all that good.

get the fuck out and neck yourself

Haibane - 2002
Kino - 2003
Kemono - 2009

The newest of them are almost 10 years old

Haven't been there for a very long time, why would I go there?

Hating SAO is a meme and you know it. It isn't perfect but it's pretty good

I bet you also think 9/11 didn't happen in the modern world.

>The newest of them are almost 10 years old
What your age? 20 years? They are pretty recent for me.

>ree
>spoiler abuse
>:^)

Please do not post on this board until you have fixed these habits.

Thank you.

>MOB
>Awful
Wow, this is either the shittiest bait ever or the shittiest opinion ever

It didn't. 2010+ is modern, or 2015+ really

Around 25

I don't usually post on Sup Forums

>le pretentious artsy 2deep4u cancer
It was worse than FLCL. At least I managed to finish that show

You should really get on to killing yourself.

Why are you so mean user? I just want to discuss animu

>Around 25
No. You can't be this retarded. You're 20yo maximum

I'm gonna say 15, maximum.

24 actually but I'm very autistic too so maybe that's the problem

>I don't usually post on Sup Forums
Keep it that way.

I will, but not tonight. You are all such bullies

Kemono no Souja Erin is just a shitter modern attempt at World Masterpiece Theater.

What's shitty about it?

>shitter

Don't you dare post touhou images you secondary trash, get the fuck out of here. Your opinions on what is and isn't modern are laughable, and your posting style outs you as a newcomer.

Around here, people usually classify modern anime under 00s period onward, when the usage of digital processing became more prevalent. Some even included 90s because of some reasons, like Eva changing the whole industry, anime becoming more popular in the US, etc.

I visit jaypee more than Sup Forums so why not? And how is it a bad way to define modern anime? The style of 2006 is so different from the one in 2016 that it can't be compared

Yeah those are definitely the big milestones with really defining changes to the industry, but modern for me is the past 3 - 5 years. I'm not saying that everything else is to be classified as retro or old, but it still isn't modern anymore

After watching Horus, Prince of the Sun and Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon in the middle of the winter 2016 season I came to realize that modern anime is shit. Even the good shows like Kemono no Souja Erin, Mugen no Ryvius and Juuni Kokuki are garbage compared to the older classics.

So you've been to /jp/ twice and Sup Forums once? Who gives a shit. Fuck off. You couldn't even tell me what the theme of the girl you just posted is called.

>Don't you dare post touhou images you secondary trash
>ZUNs sprites
>secondary trash
You can't be this retarded.

I'm sure you just downloaded an album full of reimu sprites to avatarfag on /vg/ or to pretend you're part of the otacool club on whatever shitty board you come from. My previous point stands.

And I've been on Sup Forums for 10 years next month but yeah, neither /jp/ or Sup Forums are my main boards. Why are you derailing the thread?

And don't fucking insult my 2hufu

There's still plenty of ''classics'' being made. Even 10 years ago there was at most 5 actually good series every season. Also, start looking at shorts, ovas and movies not just full TV anime

>good shows
>Flip Flappers
>Drifters
wew.

Name one "classic" from the last ten years. That was rhetorical, you don't have to answer because I've seen everything good and I won't agree no matter what.

The thread was never on rails because you came looking for validation that your shallow view of what constitutes modern anime was worth anything. I got angry at you because I don't like people posting without lurking because it shits up the board. I got further angry when you posted touhou pictures because in my mind you were some crossboarding secondary scum. When you went on to dodge the question that most actual touhou players would be able to answer about the theme name it further cemented this in my mind.

In the spirit of the holidays I'd like to apologise to you, and wish you the best of luck playing SA. Yuugi is a very nice girl and I'd never insult her.

I want to be completely serious with you. Are you for real? Like you legitimately think that and are not trying to troll us?

You really think there hasn't be any good anime in the last 10 years?

Well, you don't get to define it yourself. It sorta just came out naturally when reflecting upon bygone eras. It's like people periodizing art history. Regarding modern art, i.e. before postmodern and after romantic. Technically that kind of periodization might confuse people since they use a different definition regarding modernity, not the kind that is commonly known (i.e. the trend or style that has just came out a few years ago), as they explained so in terms of artistic style, technique or trends, rather than the socio-historical phenomenon (which IIRC categorize the post-9/11 era as 'contemporary', part of the late modern era that has begun since the 19th century).

Also, you're underestimating the big change after the rise of digital animation. Animators didn't have to use cels anymore, which was a pretty big deal as it required a completely different form of technique.

Looks like you like the world building/politics genre. They try making them every now and them, but they keep failing. They are out there though. They are all trainwrecks though.

To sum it up, this is what happened.
Kemono no Souja Erin sales: 578
Juuni would pretty much suffer the same fate if it was released today. People need to pay for it. You too, if you want more like it. It's a bit late for these ones though. You'd have to give your money to the likes of Alderamin to convince them there's still hope for the genre.

I took classic to mean more than merely good.

Fair enough. But even then I disagree. There's at least one or two titles that will still be watched and remembered years in advance being made every year.

Well, I don't think those three anime you listed as classics either. They're just good.

Oh I agree, I'm not OP.

I guess there is some truth to this since it is easier to filter out the garbage from old seasons than from the currently airing one

I've recently watched a bunch of shorts and OVAs and there are some gems to be found such as Pale Cocoon, Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, Katte ni Kaizou, Miyori no Mori and so on

Name some better ones from this season. That's my point, even the good shows are mediocre

Wanted me to spoonfeed you good remixes of her theme or what?
youtube.com/watch?v=U4f2yyI8aD8

Yes I admit that I'm a newfag to Sup Forums, I've only been here periodically the past 3 years and I only got into 2hu one year ago. My mainboard is Sup Forums

Have a nice christmas user

I do see your point and I understand what you mean. But that definition only applies to some things. You wouldn't call wojak a modern thing right? And you wouldn't call clothing from 2005 modern

>I'm a newfag to Sup Forums
You are supposed to lurk before posting user. It's not just a meme. You cannot speak in Sup Forums well and it is blazing obvious that you are new.

>Implying FLCL is either pretentious or 2deep4anyone
I'm seriously hoping this is bait, user

Only Erin is good the other two are shit, I watched Erin last year and rewatched 12K this year.

Erin wasn't all that good though. It was a bit repetitive at times, very, very cheaply made, and relied on a good insert song to invoke any sort of empathy from the viewer.
It makes good use of the setting but that's about it.

>Looks like you like the world building/politics genre
Yes, most of my absolute favorites are like that

It seems like it comes in waves though. Like currently there are a lot of isekai being animated

I'm just a moron who didn't think before posting really. I'm so used to other boards being all the same these days that I forgot that Sup Forums still has some board culture remaining. And posting on [s4s] this past week made me pick up some bad shitposting habits

FLCL was decent the first 2 episodes. After that it became one of the worst shows I've ever seen. I'd rate Jin-Roh, Paprika and Coppelion on the same level as FLCL. Absolute garbage

The music really made the whole show go up by 3 points
youtube.com/watch?v=K0lQNuRoP2Y

>keyshit
>hell girl
>necrophilia, the anime
>Code Gayass
I think its just your taste that's shit, m8

Flower Studded Sake Dish on Mt Ooe was the answer I was looking for, but that's fine, Yuugi is a great character in SA I hope you have a nice holiday season.

Your taste is shit by the way.

Watch Mushishi, you will like it since you enjoy world building.

>REEEEE
Get the fuck out of here subhuman.

>re zero is good
>mob is trash
>flcl is trash
One person cannot POSSIBLY have this shit taste

I hear that a lot, especially since I unironically like SAO

What's wrong with Jigoku Shoujo though? And Otome x Amnesia aside from the ending?

Mushishi has been on my backlog for a while now since I'm very interested in youkai but I've been a bit turned off by the fact that It's episodic and seem to lack an overarching story. I'll get around to watching it eventually though

Hey Sup Forums, is Princess Kaguya a classic?
Do you think any of the recent short experimental films (Geidai, etc.) can become a classic? Sorta like Brakhage's Mothlight and so on. I don't know much about experimental animations.

Depends on your definition of classic.

Erin is good series. It's even better if you watch it in kid's perspective.
I think you'll love Shin Sekai Yori, user.

Also, don't believe what Sup Forums says post 2014. Since Sup Forums never watch good anime anymore. They watch it just for shitposting I blame other boards for this.
You do aware decent series thread like Natsume thread & Rakugo thread has so little replies in it right? And shit like Mayoiga always hit the bump limit within 3 hours. Not even memeing.

No it's shit.

>Mayoiga

That shit was enjoyable if you shit post in Sup Forums DIRECTLY After watching it

The other series that was on the same level was Mahouka or Jesus-sama.

The shows were fucking bad for all the right reasons.

Why do you hate the best part of the show?

You know I'm right

I wouldn't call it a classic but Kaguya Hime is among my top 3 movies. You should probably read the story before though or you might not enjoy it as much

>I think you'll love Shin Sekai Yori, user.
You're right. SSY is in my 3x3

>They watch it just for shitposting
It can be pretty fun though. The Mayoiga threads were great and gave me a reason to keep watching that complete fucking trainwreck

You do not belong in Sup Forums at all m8, probably you should stop watching anime altogether and watch some shitty American TV drama with so called plot twists West World or Walking DEAD.

Or just shitpost on Sup Forums on so called good Marvel and DC movies which rides on your nostalgia googles.

>complains about keyshit
>posts k-on

Batman vs Superman was unironically good

You can watch it infinitely but you still can find new things or at least don't get bored from it, even when the production technology is already outdated.

Natsume is the fifth season of a show that's always the same. Flip Flappers is vain even if fun and Drifters is brainless action like there always was. Recently there were Ping Pong, Space Dandy, Shingeki no Kyojin, Aku no Hana, Jojo, and other that didn't catch my eye that are on the same level as Ryvius, Erin, etc.

After that, I agree that there's a kind of evolution in how the public wants animation and how the producers produce it, its kinda the sakuga hype, Flip Flappers could have been neat with some more thought put into it but it's only nice visual experimentation, without anything to serve.

Space Dandy is a fun cartoon but it also suffer from that to a lesser extent, Ping Pong is quite good but the experimental side is really quite random, could say the same for LWA and the Trigger anime.

Overall I agree that there were more grounded in reality anime back then, now mainly brainless shit, good or bad. And the things more grounded in reality are either badly written (Shingeki no Kyojin), or lack the interesting approach of the post-Eva anime like Ryvius.

Ping Pong is interesting but when you know Yuasa it's just "ah, Yuasa weird drawing again". It works, and it's risky, but it's not that interesting anymore, for me at least.

Aku no Hana was interesting but the writing is not amazing and the anime is pretty cheap with bad choices.

There are some more like Sidonia that are genuinely like older grounded shows but not much.

I don't think Sup Forums is a hivemind, dude.

>That shit was enjoyable if you shit post in Sup Forums DIRECTLY After watching it
That's my point.
Don't watch a series based on its thread on Sup Forums. Just find good series by yourself and back logged it. That's the best way to enjoy anime.
Post season review thread is good place to find nice series too actually.

Watching a series and shitposting at the same time can make a series looks 10/10. And you'll realize you've been watching shit this whole time afterwards.

>I think you'll love Shin Sekai Yori, user.
> You're right. SSY is in my 3x3

I hated SSY, it suffers the same problems as Shiki, as the lore contradicts itself on multiple occasions.. its fine to make it semi-realistic but a 1/100 shot the mole rats to be able have a pyschic from Mamoru and Maria and be able to train them.

>Best fucker erin
>Not a great example of shitty reused animation and drawing out an adaptation longer than need be

You make some very good points

Aku no Hana was meant to be a live action show.

K-On is LITERALLY the greatest anime ever made

Why is this thread still up?

Why not?

>Not a great example of shitty reused animation and drawing out an adaptation longer than need be
It's understandable for long run series which rely on rating just like naruto and any other kid series.

Is there really a classic animation from japan? That is, on the same level as Hedgehog in the Fog or early-Hanna-Barbera Tom and Jerry films? I doubt it.

The flashbacks were the only bad part about the show. Juuni Kokuki had the same problem

Looks like you prefer 4 One piece general threads at the same time.

I've never even heard of the things you listed

>REEEE:Zero

Holy shit, you have no room to talk now that we know you're a tastless casual, go kill yourself

Yeah the use of rotoscope didn't really serve the show except by making it "anime", and at some points for surreal imagery near the end. It's really Nagahama cinematographic skills that made everything. Also maybe the background artists skills because real places may not give such a strong feeling of rustiness and shit.

I'm sure some people will say I'm talking shit since I went fast on some parts without explaining because nobody especially asked, but it's the first time I really think about it and as a kind of sakugafag myself I really despise how every good show today seem catered to some sakuga interest, Madhouse 2000-2010 were still the best even if they didn't do such crazy animations most of the time.

Read the entire thread before replying

You mean watched, not heard. Surely you have heard Tom and Jerry.

>9/11
>Modern
Yeah user, sure. The yugoslav wars are really modern too!

In France a lot of older anime shows are considered as classic as H-Bs or your russian forgotten film because they were airing on TV and everybody grew up with it. Dezaki's are to be mentioned.

Even without that, Japan has some classic "Disney-like" feature films. Propaganda and shit.

The worst part about anime these days is really how it's so obviously made to bring in quick money with loads of actions 13 episodes with no real story behind it aside from generic shit. There is no passion anymore or grand adventures

I'd say Pokémon is a global classic at this point

Some could say it's better than when it was all still frame. Some will say that there was also a ton of cancer before, and they'll be right.

We still get good things even if they're no exactly the same. We still can get interesting stories and all, I hope, like maybe if Pluto is adapted. Or even Parasyte was kinda refreshing.

I hope they adapt more VN like they did with Planetarian

There are some VN that I wish were animated. Swan Song, Killer Queen and Ever 17

Did you miss the gratuitous use of cycling through the same shots multiple times to pad the series by minutes per episode?

>Juuni kokuki
That series main problem was trying to adapt a huge series with no end in sight.

Also the constant resets back to square one "finally I've learned not to care what others think, well actually I didn't learn my lesson but now I know not to care what other's think, no wait I didn't learn it that time either, THIS time I won't care what other's think."

>Did you miss the gratuitous use of cycling through the same shots multiple times to pad the series by minutes per episode?
No that's what I mean by flashbacks. They could've removed those and made the show shorter