Baki Dou

So what do you fags think about the extended preview for the upcoming convicts arc anime?

youtube.com/watch?v=vmhiMQUj31g

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-GiX-61j-bY?t=2m43s
mega.nz/#fm/c4JGESZT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Overall good, some parts look kinda cheap. Like Speck's barrage just shows the fists and Hana's face, not him actually throwing a punch. Maybe they just omitted it though. And that CGI Baki at the end gives me bad memories of the first anime. Speaking of which, I that whole sequence with Baki doing pushups and imagination fighting might be part of the opening.

I liked the gore, though. Wonder how it will work for TV, since you can't just black over those blood spurts without covering half the screen.

That manga montage at the start was the part of the whole thing, anyway.

>was the best part

How the fuck did he survive getting shot 6 times. I can kinda excuse Olivia but this?

I remember he was wearing a vest (I guess a really good one?).
Still, why the fuck would anyone not headshot a tied up guy from point blank range? That's just stupid.

I'm more bothered by Igari surviving a beating with a 3plate barbell.

>CGI Baki at the end gives me bad memories
In all honesty, I actually thought that was the exact same model from the first anime's intro. I thought they were making a joke or something, but then it turned out to be serious. Also, why the fuck do they have Baki ready and waiting when the convicts meet the fighters in the anime/OAD? Why the fuck was he a still frame for most of it? That ain't happen in the manga.

>I liked the gore, though. Wonder how it will work for TV ...
I'm hoping/praying that they air it on a channel/at a time where they need not censor it. Otherwise, it could end up worse than the Terraformars television run. How the fuck can you make the Hanayama vs Speck fight without gore? How can you have Doppo getting his hand cut off?

>he was wearing a vest
Correct.

Honestly thought that he'd die, too. He didn't take 1/10th of that damage in any of his previous fights, yet he came out relatively unscathed.

>Also, why the fuck do they have Baki ready and waiting when the convicts meet the fighters in the anime/OAD?
That and the fact that Baki is shirtless and CGI makes me think it's a sequence intended to go in the opening or ending rather than an in-series scene. It's pretty bad CGI though.

>How can you have Doppo getting his hand cut off?
That's easy, just black over the stump, uncensor it for the DVD release. Jojo does it all the time.

>just black over the stump, uncensor it for the DVD release
That's what I meant by "worse than the Terraformars television run"
Not buying BDs just to see what it's supposed to fucking look like

Who?

Katou. Remember, he has that whole mini-arc where he basically dies to Dorian?

Why would Baki even think about Katou, he could have beaten him when he was 13.

Strongly consider the number of people against whom Baki can think about having a real fight, then think about your question again.

Like half of the tournament contestants are a better option, or a Yasha ape considering Kato got his shit kicked in by one. Even Yuri Tchaikovsky is probably stronger.

I like the VA of Dorian and Sikorsky.

Other than that it looks like fairly average anime, doesn't seem that they deviated from the source material, which is a good thing.

All in all, I'm just happy to get some Baki action going. I do wonder what they asked Itagaki though.

Because he was somewhat relevant in the manga, him getting mangled by Dorian was pretty much the impetus for the whole manhunt.

He got quite a bit stronger in the convicts arc by using weapons and fighting dirty.

>I do wonder what they asked Itagaki though.
My spoken Japanese is impossibly poor, so I can't translate [most of] his responses, but I can write up the questions. I'll ask Arstavial after the holidays if he wants to do Itagaki's Q&A, assuming nobody else does it in the meantime.

Questions:
>How do you feel about the 25th anniversary?
>What was the most enjoyable part of these 25 years for you?
>What was the most difficult part of these 25 years?
>Did you imagine that it (the manga) would last for 25 years?
Itagaki: No, no, no; not at all. con't.
>25 years ago, what were the themes that you tried to show in Baki?
>What does strength mean [to you]?
>What are the highlights of this adaptation?
>What inspired the Death Row Inmates?
I: The editor-in-chief, Takafumi-san. con't.
>What did you think of the anime?
I: Baki looked really good. I was very grateful. con't.
>What did you think about the anime's fight scenes?
I: They looked extraordinarily good. You'll enjoy them, too. con't.
>What do you expect from the anime?
>A message for fans watching the anime:

Pretty shit questions, imo - but what more can you expect from a promotional piece?

Well I just finished watching, and I'm fucking hyped. It looks promising so I'm really looking forward it.

Hyped, but disappointed, yes? I think we all expected more from this.

it looks better then the complete cancer that was the other 2 series at least.
i like it.

Tfw no ova dvd rips

*subbed

Why do you guys find the Baki series so appealing? Just curious.

There ain't much to translate beyond the interview.

The fights. The art. The story, excluding much of Musashi so far.

bump

Indulging in the over the top edginess and highly charismatic characters. Unique art and fun fight choreography. It's a primal but genuine enjoyment.

Katou isn't even remotely a challenge. He's nowhere near Shinogi's level in his own karate and Shinogi confirmed he knows how to be a dirty fuck when he fights Doyle.

Katou was back when Itagaki didn't think through how he wanted Grappler Baki to be played out. That's why when we first got Yujiro he wasn't an earthquake stopping monster. He was just an intelligent and brutal fighter who could topple anyone because he knew how. Doppo was actually better than him without him going all out and Motobe did the same.

The point is more that Baki started out with cool shit ontop of martial arts like a karate fighter who could use his fingers to pull out nerves or a power wrestler who was a master at Aikido. Then it went full retard after the flashback arc where we got Baki as a kid doing more insane shit than the Baki that was fighting the worlds best martial artists.

The progression is all over the fucking place and one of my biggest gripes. I'd probably say it'd be a much better series if we didn't get the impossible feats like Oliva somehow shifting every GPS in the world by hitting Che as hard as he did but then Baki punching him through a concrete wall is enough to knock him out.

It'd also keep the non-Hanma's in the running by being constantly improving fighters like Doppo did at the Maximum Tournament and we got with Katsumi pre Pickle.

I love Baki over all but the retarded overpowering feats that we get that don't really match the shit they show in fights.

>power wrestler who was a master at Aikido
what
who?
Toba wasn't an aikido guy at all.

>Oliva somehow shifting every GPS in the world by hitting Che
60% chance that's not what the text actually says

>keep the non-Hanma's in the running by being constantly improving fighters
pic related; that's exactly what they're doing
think about Motobe's progression, too
If anything, Pickle is the only one *not* getting stronger

How many more years do I have to wait, before I see the Baki vs Yujiro fight animated?

>who

Not Toba. Hanada. They gave him more hype than Gaia got and he got eaten by Toba. Then we got the same shit with Kureha when he didn't really show much more promise than what we got with Hanada.

>60% chance

It's not what's said but implied. There's guys all around the world who's GPS jumps 50m out of its previous position when Oliva punches Che after he gives that huge speech about how stability is the true power. I don't know if that was a shitty translation chapter or one that got done properly but either way the interpretation I got was that something shifted. Plus with Oliva being the muscle powerhouse at that point and supposedly strong enough to throw down with Yujiro its not unbelievable.

> exactly what they've been doing

Except it's all null and void because none of their training can keep up with a Hanma purely because the series has implied that being a Hanma puts you above everyone else.

Without the OP as fuck feats involved you could believe Doppo had a chance vs Yujiro if it wasn't for the ungodly reaction time but now you need someone utter bullshit like a Dinosaur hunting caveman or a murderhobosamuraifullofbullshit to compare.

Buy more BDs

No, but in all seriousness, if this sells well, they might make more seasons. The anime world is an odd one; anything can happen.

How popular is Baki in japan right now? I have seen even popular shit like berserk, not getting a full adaptation or even a second season for for almost 20 years, so I don't know how likely it is that Baki will get more seasons.

Hanada's absence of a fight was caused by a mistake made by Itagaki. It's never been clarified what the mistake was specifically, but it can only rationally be presumed to be the statement that Hanada is able to do anything that Motobe can do. If Baki were to beat Hanada, he would be greater than Motobe, who openly claimed to be stronger than Doppo. Itagaki was forced to almost retcon Hanada's existence and immediately force in Toba: an enemy whom he'd planned to come later. I can't speak on Kureha, as his showing was rather different.

>GPS jumps 50m out of its previous position when Oliva punches Che ...
It was stated earlier in the series that, if any one of the three men above modern weaponry - Oliva, Che and Yuujiro - were detected to be moving at a speed greater than something like 40 MPH, global GPSs would be rerouted to prevent innocents from inadvertently getting involved with their murder stuff. It had nothing to do with power, beyond implying that Che was punched so hard that he was moving at 40(?) MPH.

>you could believe Doppo had a chance vs Yujiro if it wasn't for the ungodly reaction time but now you need someone utter bullshit like a Dinosaur hunting caveman or a murderhobosamuraifullofbullshit to compare.
Motobe trained, and he beat Musashi. Musashi is relatively close in strength to Yuujiro. Musashi absolutely demolished Pickle. Also: Motobe beat Jack. Jack is a Hanma. Shibukawa kinda beat Katsumi. What happens from here on out is anyone's guess, but: it seems apparent to me that Itagaki intends to recreate a more stable power ranking by giving us unexpected developments and returning fights to a more standard form. I've held out on drawing the immediate, direct comparisons, but Dou is taking major measures to replicate the effects and actions used in the first two series. I feel that Itagaki is almost looking for a new story with the old stylizations.

Berserk has like 3 movies; Baki hasn't got any.

Yes and Berserk is 100x bigger than Baki. Baki is so fucking niche that I'd argue it is lucky to still be going.

Berserk got international prestige and interest where as Baki has the most insane barrier against normies and thats the art. I'd argue it borders on homoerotic at times but I think that's Itagaki doing it that way because 'Strength is Beauty' being a major theme in Baki.

Hence why Garouden was less homo.

>What did you think of the anime?
>I: Baki looked really good. I was very grateful. con't.
>>What did you think about the anime's fight scenes?
Are they talking about the old one or the upcoming one?

Baki is not niche in any way. Look into it on your own; it's quite popular. It doesn't have a broad international audience like Berserk, but it has a strong following in Asia.

>Itagaki was forced to almost retcon Hanada's existence
Don't they make several chapters in advance in addition to discussing the plot with an editor? I seriously don't see how this could happen. I took Hanada getting all that hype then being beaten off screen as just a big meta joke, and I did think it was hilarious.

Man what is it with the artists of weird long running manga.

They're fucking vampires

>Yes and Berserk is 100x bigger than Baki
That's why Baki has over 60 million copies sold and Berserk half of that?

>Berserk got international prestige
Irrelevant, it's popular in Asia.

Retard

>I seriously don't see how this could happen.
Read the second paragraph(?) of this: youtu.be/-GiX-61j-bY?t=2m43s

Yes, it's a Wild Fang translation, but I checked the text myself. It's accurate on what it says about Hanada and Toba.

You're right about advance chapters, editors, etc, but consider this - Kentarou Miura (and I don't mean to bring him up again so as to antagonize the berserkposter) once made a mistake so large that he literally could not cover it up; and now has to pretend that it simply doesn't exist. Every once in a while, even the most competent people in any field can let a glaring error pass right by them without a second glance.

Are those muscular guys in the end credits supposed to be the animation staff drawn as Baki characters?

Course.

Is there anywhere I can read that without a microscope, or Wild Fags really stupid enough to only upload to youtube?

Here's a rip if anyone would rather download the OAD. It's still stream quality, though.
mega.nz/#fm/c4JGESZT

Fullscreen it, genius. But yes, they are retarded enough to only upload it to YouTube.

When I get mine, I'll put up a much better quality rip; on mega or something.

Baki's talking part was silent. Is he not cast yet or are they keeping the VA secret?

Also, no new chapter this week.

Trailer looks decent, by the way, Dorian's voice sounds familiar, Unshou Ishizuka perhaps?

Fucking Itagaki always looking the same since decades, If Araki is a pillarman then Itagaki is a Hanma.

Liefeld was genuinely tought to be a good comic book artist back then. It's kinda like that. One day we will look back and finally accept the fact Baki sucks and so does its author.

>Also, no new chapter this week.
This was meant to be a question.

>Liefeld was genuinely tought to be a good comic book artist back then.

Liefeld was critically acclaimed?

doyle>>dorian>speck>sikorsky>yanagi

>Doyle
>got shit on by Oliva
>got shit on by Retsu
>got shit on by Doppo
>got shit on by Katsumi
>got shit on by Yanagi
Did you mix up your symbols or something?

Yes, no new chapter. Shounen Champion took a weird week off - pretty sure every other mag did it last week, or is doing it next week.