What is it about mecha that keeps western casual/normalfags out?

What is it about mecha that keeps western casual/normalfags out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n-55YJpaDys
twitter.com/realgdt/status/749035767628861444
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because most decent mecha is over a decade old at best and stuff like Gundam has too many series for newfags to be interested.

It's just fucking robots.

The same reason every single popular show is a cop drama

"Muh Realism".

I always figured they hated echii most.

Because it's harder to self insert as a pilot because their vehicle of power is a robot instead of being incredibly powerful for no rhyme or reason.

Elaborate.
I don't get it.

Ecchi shows are actually pretty popular, considering they tend to get licensed/dubbed fairly frequently.

It's a travesty. They made the mayor of Ankara demolish that 20-ft tall Zaku he built with taxpayer money and replaced it with a fucking dinosaur.
How is a dinosaur supposed to defend Zeon from terrorism?

To be fair, some of them have the "pilot connects with his mecha and destroys everything" power up.
You'd think it's easier when the MC is a normal(by anime standards) human bean outside of it.

>how is a dinosaur supposed to defend Zeon from terrorism?
You can't protect Zeon against itself.

Someone post the "I don't like mechs but" chart

They can hop on AU stuff.

This, a lot of excuses I've seen for uninterest or hating mecha is from people who go "but tanks are more realistic" when realism isn't the point.

Others just associate mecha with transformers and automatically assume it's childish, and this isn't really helped by the color schemes.

>it's made to sell toys
Is the most common thing they say, meanwhile most popular unicorn mech don't have and won't have MG gunpla because plastic bent under it's own weight. Also they see no irony whatsoever in buying tons of shit with Rem on it.

this

they just want tanks

Because they have their own Mecha Shows
>Voltron Force
>Voltron Legendary Defender
>Symbiotic Titan
And
>Generator Rex

Then, how come shit like Pacific Rim is popular?
They're fine with One Piece, saints seya when mecha can blend both
youtube.com/watch?v=n-55YJpaDys

>Pacific Rim
>popular
user, the only place PR did good was China, and every movie does well in China. PR did get good reception, but it never made it big in the west, which is why they canned PR2.

>mfw they promised PR2 would have more robots vs robots stuff and now we'll never get it

>how come shit like Pacific Rim is popular?
>It panders to americans and the chinese who will pay to watch anything fight
>is a live-action movie that has a somewhat "realistic" atmosphere compared to the bright color of
>made by a well known director

From what I've seen, its popular amongst those that are already into mecha anyway.

While stylized, Voltron is produced by nips.
It's like saying Robotech or Star blazers is Western

A lot of the good ones are like 30 years old

They can't self-insert an good MC piloting a sick mech.

>which is why they canned PR2
Are you for real?

he's lying del toro is working on PR2

pretty sure he's still working on it but it got delayed

Last I heard they went around in China looking for investors.
Do you have a credible source for that? I'm serious, if you have a good source, I'd love it, since I want PR2 too.

It's pretty hilarious to see "friends" who go to japan and take a selfies in front of that very statue when they didn't watch a single Gundam show.

Everyone I've ever asked has cited Politics as the answer. Too much talking, too much realism. They basically want the DBZ of mecha. I point them towards TTGL but they never even give it a chance thinking it's just going to be more Gundam.

But ecchi battle harem is popular as fuck.

twitter.com/realgdt/status/749035767628861444

Thanks user, you brough me hope

within anime circles, or privately

that's because the real answer is westerners think giant battling robots is fucking stupid

>nothing is animated in America

>westerners think giant battling robots is fucking stupid

So Transformers and Pacific Rim weren't huge box office successes then?

>protect Zeon from terrorists

But user, Zekes ARE the terrorists

The designs don't help at all. Too stupid more often than not.

PR only made twice more of it's budget, and most of that came from chinks. Transformers I'll give, but it's mostly because of childhood nostalgia and aggressive marketing.

Mainstream shonen designs are pretty retarded too.

Because muh politics. Also for gundam sheer amount of series and the high episode count for each is probably intimidating

The designs. It's in an unsatisfying middle ground that puts off those who both love and hate big weapons and military stuff. The west, or at least a lot of the anglosphere, want what they love about machines in this kind of stuff. There was also a: why not just watch a regular battle shounen? question that was posed in one of these threads, when the mecha combat is too out there.

This is true but it doesn't have the penalty of hitting some culture's demographics who love robot stuff the wrong way.

It got delayed/canned after crimson peak went way over budget but its back on again and iirc they are filming it now.

PR no. Most of its money was made in Asia (Mostly China) and in the US it was slow to build up sales. The primary issue was that it had such a huge budget that it was very hard to make a profit off of it.

It pains me to think that Pacific Rim and Grown-Ups 2 were in cinemas at the same time and most people opted to see Grown-Ups 2.

It doesn't keep casual/normalfags out.
the bars are flipped, m8. It keeps autism in.
People who sperg about mech designs and internal socio-political choices of who did what when in a series that came out over three decades ago with scooby-doo tier animation, and sperg out when this is mentioned as well. And autistic fujos who ship every last one of the wing boys with each other, or homos lusting after Loran.

It's friday night, you're on Sup Forums . Tell me I'm wrong.

because its not aesthetic. its just blocks of lego. the fact they are machines means there is an obvious detachment due to a lack of humanity and it makes it hard for well adjusted people to actually relate to them on an emotional level.

They just go "meh, Transformers" and back to playing CounterStrike

guess who's here as well?
YOU

The fad never really caught on in the west.
There was a peak in the 80/90s in Europe, I still have that RX-78 action figure my parents got me back then somewhere.

But that's why all the best mecha builds a strong cast. Robot fights are cool, but you don't care unless you're invested in the people in the robots and/or what they are fighting for.

Yup.

Del Toro is one of us and I only hope he can pull it off again.

No
With normalfags.
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tails.

You forgot dbz

Childhood nostalgia is why people hated Bayformers, while being huge transformers fans. They just remember the boxy toys mom bought them when they were ten, and now they see walking piles of scraps on the screen, that barely resembles the boxes they grew up with.

>the fact they are machines means there is an obvious detachment due to a lack of humanity and it makes it hard for well adjusted people to actually relate to them on an emotional level.
I'm sure that if I show 080 to some normalfag, they'll be all emotional.

Too many series, hard to know where to begin with Gundam.

It's like...it has so many tropes and so much navel gazing by the people who grew up on it that they can't actually see how silly it is.
That they don't have any new blood or ideas coming into the stagnant yet profitable genre.

To that end, it's not as awesome and exploited as it should be.
Unless they honestly go balls deep with the tech and stop jerking off the old guard and mech geeks it will be forever in it's still moderately profitable ghetto.

Or even patlabor movies.

Patlabor 2 wouldn't work emotionally if you aren't up on the series. You need to know what Alphonse means to Noa to know what dismissing it means to her.

>It's like...it has so many tropes and so much navel gazing by the people who grew up on it that they can't actually see how silly it is.
>That they don't have any new blood or ideas coming into the stagnant yet profitable genre.
This is anime as a whole, you could even good in gaming with this statement

080 is the least mecha of the franchise though.
Like Ghibli meets Gundam.

>that scene in GBF with Uso handing over his mother's helmet to his dad.
FUCK Sunrise for that.

GBF is Gundam Valhalla for a reason.

Sunrise hates its viewers, they showed almost every dead person in that show but put some weird dark humor twist on it.

Folks are always going on about how great the wire is, and it's pretty long.
But I suppose folks into that aren't into Chinese cartoons. Their loss, really.

It was also the most original mecha and gundam EVER.
Then Try came along and it devolved into just utter shit. Beyblade Burst did everything it failed miserably in doing, except for making yankable heroines. They did a good job at that.

>Then Try came along and it devolved into just utter shit.
I loved GBF, but I couldn't get beyond 3 episodes of that.

>Folks are always going on about how great the wire is, and it's pretty long.
Only college liberals, other normalfags don't.

>But I suppose folks into that aren't into Chinese cartoons. Their loss, really.
This is more true to reality than the former statement only if you consider the boomer generation. They simply assume cartoons = 4kids, which is generally true since anime is made mostly for Japanese teenagers, with few exception.
American youths are far more exposed to manga and animes and like them.

Well normies still watch breaking bad and the office. US TV shows are generally longer than animu. That's also a shame.

Sure, but those kids are exposed to whatever is not Netflix or Crunchyroll. They ain't like us autists, following the seasons.
He'll, friends I've got who watch anime think me keeping updated is weird. I don't bring it up any more.

Noa is too cute

She is. And you wouldn't care half as much about the Ingrams if she wasn't the one sitting in the one that is always kicking ass.

This. I had a friend who liked Del Toro, but he just refused to watch Pac Rim.

>not liking moneye

Normies just cant handle Tomino

>the real answer is westerners think giant battling robots is fucking stupid
Wrong, most think its fucking cool. The problem is people are also stupid and think that it is something "childish" so they don't try them out or can't find any entertainment out of them because they have deluded themselves into thinking mecha is childish. Really, this applies to most stuff the japs produce. Like SoL, moeblob and so forth.

>because they have deluded themselves into thinking mecha is childish
You've got the rationale backwards. They have deluded themselves into thinking that they are not allowed to enjoy anything that kids enjoy. It's fucking mindboggling stupid.

>People lap up muh space magic and other over the top parts of Star Wars
>Think of mecha as childish at the same time

Simply no appreciation for Wunderwaffen

UC Gundam is fucking dumb at times. Aspects of the technology and how/why things happen require additional side materials to understand the outcomes of some events.

Some characters go full retard, lack of spying/optical records (cameras and security would solve so many problems).

And general 'realism' things of how a 80T biped would rip itself to pieces. With how quick these things are portrayed, just turning around would rip the machine to pieces.

Oh god help me get through ZZ and into CCA. Character decision making capabilities have been severely compromised and Char's a whole other person in CCA, gone completely insane with the 'Get off the earth, you're killing it', crap.

You managed to get through ZG and 0080 and you are having problems getting through ZZ? How did you manage this? ZG and 0080 are both pretty bad on these fronts.

I put ZG gundam on break and picked up Gundam Seed. I'm not sure what I am doing to myself or why I hate myself this much.

Aspects of ZG were great others not so much. Very mixed feelings on it. Enjoyed the OVAs from 79-ZG enough. JUST. is the best way to explain it. I've watched much of the AU that I just want to get through all of UC/late UC to complete the core aspect of the franchise.

The insanity of the 'get off the earth' in Gundam never gets explained or looked at very well. It's mostly just textual side materials. Like holy shit, if there's barely 2b left on earth and most of them are poor fucks who can't afford to get off earth, how are they doing to pollute it (since pollution.overpopulation were driving factors in 'get off the rock').

Lobbing nukes around and throwing a bunch or large rocks only exacerbate the very problem leaving was meant to solve. Zeeks are always full retard.

There is an air of childish toys from it though. Hundreds of models to collect, many do transform or have plug-in like capabilities.

I don't know who was more insane in CCA, Char for dropping asteroids on Earth or the Federation for giving him another asteroid just because he said he wouldn't stop it on Earth.

If Pacific Rim 2 doesn't have a black protagonist and a white love interest, I refuse to see it.

After seeing how the original film pushed racial boundaries, I think it's only fair.

But user, Asians are genuinely underrepresented in lead roles.

>If Pacific Rim 2 doesn't have a black protagonist

He was the only good thing in the latest Star Wars anyways

Can't self insert, people assume it's nothing but dumb robots.

Why does he look like a render?

Too much make up, those lips. Lighting and reflective suit.

Westerners will never understand
巨大ロボットは男のロマン!

This
Why does everyone say how great Daisy Ridley was? She was OK, but left no lasting impact on me and I didn't see any of that great charisma or acting people are talking about. Same thing goes for Po Dameron, I don't get how people are so into him when he only shows up for like five minutes in total.
John Boyega though, his character I actually liked.

Plebs cannot bear to see anything made before 9/11

You guys are implying mechs are popular in Japan or something.
More popular than in the west sure but mecha anime and games have not been popular in Japan for a long time now, it's a genre that is mostly appreciated by a much older generation. Kids these days simply don't care for giant robots anymore. They're more into power armor like Iron Man these days.

Powered armor can be cool, but it's not as versatile for storytelling as giant robos.

>You've got the rationale backwards. They have deluded themselves into thinking that they are not allowed to enjoy anything that kids enjoy. It's fucking mindboggling stupid.

C.S. Lewis got it right. He said that the proof of maturity is when you stop giving a shit about looking like an adult.

>When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”