This show will become 5 years old this new year

This show will become 5 years old this new year.

Having that in mind, is this show still worth watching?

Have been 5 years enough time to bury this show with something that does it better?

in only 5 years, madoka fans successfully brought this board to a grisly end

>Having that in mind, is this show still worth watching?
Yes, it's still a pretty solid show even if it's fanbase is complete cancer

>Have been 5 years enough time to bury this show with something that does it better?
Not really

/thread
Came here to say exactly this but in more words

>bury this show with something that does it better?
It's a matter of nuance and taste. If you're above a certain level of quality, it doesn't matter that there are other shows doing mostly the same thing. They aren't highlanders.
And if you somehow haven't watched it yet, go the fuck ahead. It's a good show and 5 years don't change that.

Meduka

Is the fanbase really that bad?

Yes

Yes, it's still worth watching. It's the Evangelion of anime,don'tcha know.

2011 was a fun year.

6 you idiot, it aired in 2011

The five years before 2011 had a bunch of shows that were better than Madoka, but the five years since have not had any. Is anime in terminal decline?

Madoka is a modern masterpiece and Homura is one of the greatest characters of any media in the last 10 years.

>The Evangelion of anime
Oh shit, I forgot than Evangelion was made by Hanna-Barbera

Come the fuck on, it is been that much?

Last episode was five years, eight months ago. First nearly exactly six years

And I still feel like I just watched it last month.
it was the first show i watched, too

Not really, and I can't suggest anything to watch in its place. It was fun when airing, but I couldn't honestly recommend it to anyone.

>tfw can no longer say Madoka was the best anime in the last 5 years

time just marches on, man...

No show since has done Madoka as well as Madoka did

What is the best attribute this show has? quality? story? animation? soundtrack?

>Try to get a casual anime watching friend to try Madoka
>Refuses to watch it because the box is pink
>Says it looks like some 8 year old girl cartoon
How do you get people to look past their first impression? I know that if he actually watched it to episode 4 he'd be hooked but he wouldn't even try it because it looks like standard Moe anime that he despises

isn't walpurgisnight like the first or second scene

Show him the scene from ep. 3. It's designed as a hook anyways. That being said
>your friends don't trust you wnough to watch a show solely based on your reccommendation of it as good
I am ashamed to call you part of Sup Forums

I think it's safe to say it depends on who you ask, it has a lot of things to appeal to a wide variety of people.
For me it's the characters, they're pretty simple but they make me care about them each in their own way.

EVERYONE got that as a first impression, even me, a lowkey fan of the series. You outright need to TELL people that it's dark and violent to make them consider.

He's a normie with a wife and I'm a NEET. We used to watch anime together in college, but he grew out of it when he graduated and got a job

The best attribute is is Mami's breasts.

HomuHomu

The very first scene is the Walpurgis dream.
Which is a pretty standard start to a magical girl show, but someone not familiar with the genre wouldn't realize that anyway.

I really love that scene, forever mad they excised it from the recap movies.

What does he watch these days, if anything

Attack on Titan was the last anime he watched

Well you did say he's a casual.
Is he aware that shounens are as fast food as moe?

Get non-shit friends

I'm kind of that person. It looks like a ''mlp'' at first glance.

How did you overcome that barrier?

Not him but my friend spoiled me on how witches are formed which got me to watch it. It still ended up hitting quite hard when the time came.

No

>How did you overcome that barrier?
I post on Sup Forums. I was actually hoping it would be like K-On

A faggot told me that the blonde girl dies when I asked about the show. Now I feel like I shouldn't bother because I feel I have been spoiled the end

That's like the most well-known spoiler about this show, that hardly ruins the whole plot
That's not at the end either

It happens 3 episodes in, and you're not losing much by knowing that happens
Go watch the show

Madoka is the definition of "it's already been done better." The music and aesthetics are beautiful, but every single other thing it's outclassed in.

It would have been revolutionary before Evangelion, but as it stands it does basically nothing that Evangelion doesn't do better. The ending is cop-out bullshit that completely defeats all of its own themes and compromises the concept of "magical girl anime is childish" just so that all the cute girls don't have to die.

It's solid, better than the majority of shows, but if you haven't seen Evangelion then watch Evangelion instead. And if you have watched Evangelion, don't go in expecting the same level of depth.

Is it really that similar to Evangelion

So Asuka > Kyoko?

The show is solid, one of the few animes that are actually great.
That the fanbase is shit is completely irrelevant.

It's the same concept but applied to magical girls.
>start the show pretending it's a typical entry in the genre
>put in some dark foreshadowing
>partway through an "oh shit moment happens"
>tone shifts toward psychological analysis and realism
>all about how the genre is ultimately shallow escapism

Except Eva had more time to flesh itself out and the balls to go full psychoanalysis with a downtrodden ending.

Visuals and soundtrack.

They both 'deconstruct' their respective genres, they're both introspective. That's it.
I agree that Evangelion is superior to Madoka in terms of writing quality. Evangelion is superior to a lot of things in terms of writing quality.
But if you really do think what you just said about the show, madoka was 2deep4u.

>and the balls to go full psychoanalysis with a downtrodden ending
That's a lot of praise for running out of budget

There's much, much more to any given show than a high-level synopsis of "what it's about".

Madoka > NGE
Rebellion < EoE

Yes. Kyoko is the same character but with less depth. Both have personalities based around parental abandonment and abuse but Asuka's has several repercussions (pride, self hatred, sexuality) whereas Kyoko is just a loner.

Not to mention she's much cuter.

EoE > Madoka >= NGE >> Rebellion

Yeah, agreed 100% actually.

Where does Rebuild stand? And if each movie is counted separately?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you didn't understand either of the shows beyond face value.
To further confirm/deny this, i want you to tell me what you think was going on in the scene this shot was from.

Running out of budget led to some of the best moments in all of anime. Kaworu's death scene is fantastic. I'd say Anno likely wrote all that he wrote genuinely and the consttaints of budget forced him to present it experimentally.

>Where does Rebuild stand?
In the trash where it belongs.

It's been forever since I've watched either series, I can't debate the finer points and exact scenes like that, and I think the finer points are distracting you from how blatantly the structure of Madoka takes from Eva.

Like I said Madoka is still solid but it lacks those finer points. The furthest it goes that I recall is all the Faust quotations but that's pretty obvious an analogy.

EoE > Madoka >= NGE > 1.0 (unambitious, some of the changes were neutral others were worse than NGE) > Rebellion = 2.0 (they both kicked the originals in the nuts in the same way with regards to characterisation, fanservice etc)
I'm not gonna judge 3.0 until 3.0+1.0 comes out, but it doesn't look very promising

>there are plebs who think 2.0 is the best part, or the only good part, of the franchise
I was only able to enjoy the movie after actually taking their opinions into consideration

That greentext doesn't sound like it matches the rest of your post.

The high-level premise of a show can only be polished to a certain extent. The higher the quality you're aiming for, the less important the basic premise is.
Yes, if you squint they have a similar overarching structure. But it's the finer details in where the plot goes, how the characters function/interact and all the things in between that make the show good. They diverge by a significant amount, and both are good in their own ways (though NGE+EoE are better as a whole).
You could make an argument like that for say, the yuyuyu anime and madoka. But madoka and evangelion are too different when you get into the nitty gritty that you can't compare them directly.

Kaworu's death is solid.
The rest of episode 25 and 26, not so much.
I'm not saying the idea is bad, or the writing even, but the way it was done was complete garbage, and it was obvious they ran out of time and budget.
If you want to pretend something being done poorly is great, you may as well admire modern art.

Let's just say I WANTED to like Rebuild, and thanks to them I gave it another chance despite the fact that NGE is far superior

Oh, ok. Gotcha.

The hilarious thing for me was just hlw thoroughly worse the rebuilds were than NGE.
Not just the big stuff like Mari or 3rd impact (compare eoe and 2.0 impacts side by side jesus christ), but small directing decisions that just bring down the overall thing.
Two things stood out to me in 1.0, when rei looks at shinji in the beginning and when shinji gets her out of the plug.
Tiny little split second changes, focusing on rei's eye for a few frames in the first, adding a small gasp in the latter. And the characterisation just flies off in a whole different direction, the scene has a different feel, colossal fuckups from such small changes.

I hated what they did to Asuka's character at first as well. To appreciate her, I had to pay attention to her character development since that's what most Rebuildfags praise her for, and even then she's overshadowed by her NGE self and only good because she does something different rather than doing everything the same but inferior.

a good show with an autistic fanbase

worth a watch still.

the undertale of anime

I agree on Asuka, though i'm more assblasted by what they did to Rei. They went in different directions with the characters, which is in and of itself fine. But Rei becomes harem member no. 5438603, subtype shy, and Asuka is just a tsundere bitch. I guess i'm more pissed about Rei because for Asuka, they cug down on the reasoning for her behaviour and made her a flatter character. For Rei they took her out back, shot her and brought in sally mcsubmissivetits in a blue wig and a plugsuit.

I'm going to try it now and abandon the thread because of the spoilers I dont want to carry more spoilers on me.

Anyways, whats up with the hate towards their fanbase? They were that annoying when the show came out?

most of the threads on Sup Forums are completely unreadable, not as terrible other places

Not only that, but apparently Rei Q is a big slap in the face to devoted fans of the character.

>popular as all fuck
>cutesy aesthetic
>vocal, gutter trash fanbase
>often accused of ripping off older work
>actually pretty damn good on its own
Whaddayaknow.

It's more a problem with the current-day fanbase, which has declined into tripfag circlejerks and shipping shitposting. Threads like this where people actually talk about the show are an outlier.

there have been pretty much zero spoilers posted in the thread but closing it now would be a good call

People judging shows based solely on the sample size of Sup Forums.

The fanbase turned to pure cancer during the delay between episode ten and eleven

How can anyone claim this story is a masterpiece when it's stolen from Kamen Rider Ryuki?

The fanbase is comparable to that of, say, steven cancerverse. It attracts the same crowd. So Sup Forums pretended to hate the show to filter people out. Now that it's not the hot new thing, reasonable Sup Forumsnons will mostly agree they liked the show or give valid reasons for why not and move on. The ones who stick around and pollute madoka threads are radioactive turbocancer image spamming tripfags.

>which has declined into tripfag circlejerks
I actually think Kevin is pretty swell, m8.

There were better moe faust manga before Madoka arrived, only translated one though is the one about loli happy merchant trying to get fuel for her alien society trough human suffering.

He barely posts anymore, he's not the problem.

>Homura is one of the gayest characters of any media in the last 10 years
FIFY

In anime? Sure. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

>tfw can say Madoka was the best anime in the last 6 years

Daily reminder that Sayaka is best girl

sayaka is a double cutie pie

Aaaaand the thread is dead. Been fun while it lasted.

Indeed she is

Merry Christmas, guys.
Doing anything for tomorrow?

>PMMM was six years ago next month
>ClariS still haven't shown their faces
>we still don't know at the very least their birthdays

I will make one when I finish the series. I just started watching and I cant really contribute much.

Just remember that Homura did nothing wrong and you'll be fine

Watched the movie trilogy the other day, having already watched the TV series.

It's still one of my favorites, just for the setting, character, art, and music. I don't really see that getting old.

It was a little difficult to follow in some parts, but nothing I disliked. Considering what anime looks like these days, idk if anyone could do it better.

> Madoka Magica has a cop-out ending
> Evangelion was done better
I hated every episode of NGE. Literally my most hated show. They're both science fiction and even then that's stretching it.

It's still my favorite show of all time.

i can't think of a better way to end the series, other than maybe shelving rebellion

>It was a little difficult to follow in some parts,
I was going to call you a retard but this seems to be true for most of Sup Forums, which is crazy. Half the show is exposition