Anyone starting to second guess their decision on going to college?

Anyone starting to second guess their decision on going to college?
I'm a Comp Sci major and I have had a shit experience at my uni so far. Currently a sophomore.
Almost every single teacher I've had except for a few are foreigners who can barely speak english or teach.
Basically have to rely on my self through Cal 1 - Cal 3, Physics 1 -2, and my comp sci classes. I have learned everything on my own and am starting to realize how much of a waste of money college is. I'm paying about 20-30k a year and for what? So I can fucking teach myself and pay a fucking foreigner $600 to teach me jack shit.

Anybody else second guessing college and that its a waste of time and money? Is there another route I can go?

Bump

Yes, and no.

Yes: I was bored in college. Never liked school. Only a few topics interested me. I too was a computer science major. I was even bored in that program since I started already familiar with a lot of the concepts being taught. I had already learned a lot of the programming languages I had to take classes on so that was boring as fuck. How ever I did learn more about how processors actually work — that was worth while subject matter for me.

No: I have that supposed magic paper that opened more doors for me, even though it doesn’t mean I know more than someone else.

You aren't support to get spoonfed your courses user
The teacher is only there to lead your own learning.
School is not about you getting taught. It's about you learning how to learn. You paid the money to get the accreditation and nothing more. The teachers aren't there to teach you, they're there to do their own research and to help students where they need.
Shut up, suck it up, finish your shit so when you go to an interview for a job you can say to your employer that you had bad teachers so everything you know is self-taught and university tested and backed. You can get hired because you can say look, I'm a self-driven workhorse and that's why I'm the best for this job, because I will do it all without being asked, told, or spoonfed.
Fucking millenials are so entitled and pathetic. Shut the fuck up already.

Yep. Everything based around computers can, guess what, be learned on a computer. Every single comp sci topic can be learned online, literally. Every language has hundreds of books on how to learn, and every resource is available free or for cheap. I'm in the same boat with computer engineering.

If you want to be taught something then go take women's studies.

Kek

>>Teachers aren't there to teach you
Are you fucking retarded?
Yeah I understand what you're saying but the teachers need to do their job as well. At least give me a base of understanding the topic so I can learn the stuff a lot easier on my own but most teachers can't even do that. It just pisses me off how much money they are getting paid to teach jack shit

It's stem, so there's that. And it's a good field to be in, push through.

I learned nothing from most of my teachers. Their shittyness is what made me go learn it on my own. Nobody is there to hold your hand. Their only obligation is to provide you with notes and toss problems your way every now and then.

I've always thought about trying those online courses like treehouse or Linda. I've read the claims that you can make a career out of it. But I don't want to be fucked for not having that magic piece of paper that gets my foot in door like this guy was referring to

To be honest I got sick of listening to lecturers talking about themselves rather than the subject matter.

>magic piece of paper t
That's basically it. You don't need it to learn the skills, but you're going to need a killer portfolio to get a second look from good companies without a degree. Possible, but you need to crush it.

I went to a private christian college and the professors there were excellent. When i went to take some classes for a license in my field i learned just how nice my college had been. My private christian university gave me a lot more work and i learned things in and out of class. The public school classes were a waste of my time since i learned everything from the textbook and the foreigner teacher was hard to understand anyways.

Im second guessing too, I just finished community and i'm going to finish out my last years at a four year, I looked at my reqs and I still have to take bs cultural studies in upper division. Im about to jump ship for a trade but i'm concerned since this is probably gonna be the easiest time in my life to get a degree out of the way.

That's what I miss about my old high school it was public but in a very wealthy area so the teachers were better than mot. I could easily understand the point they are trying to get across and what's being taught. Now I literally sit in class for 3 hours just to sign the attendance sheet not being taught anything useful in that time period.

That's what I was thinking. It will be easier to stay the route I'm going but more expensive and more bullshit. If go the on my own route I will probably have work my ass off day and night to build a portfolio that gets my foot in the door

Yea. It sucks, but just go a semester at a time

My hematology class (was getting a clinical lab science license) was what made me into a phoneposter.

Did you happen to do or are now doing that?
I've never taken a semester off so I'm not sure how that is like.

Yeah it took me until I got cal 3 to start posting from my phone

the best decision of my life was quitting college, i had no idea why i was there and was withdrawing from classes left and right. i currently have no debt and an awesome full time job with great benefits with you guessed it, no fucking degree. dont get me wrong you get the right degree and it'll definitely help you along your way.... but you know degrees can never give you experience. i know so many kids who never worked a day in their life and they go to college, get a degree in 4-5 years, and just expect life to go for them. then they end up working at best buy or some shit.

>going to a 4 year institution as a freshmen
Why even do this? I dropped out of high school, got my associates, and went to college same time as freshmen my age but half way through junior courses, everything transferred, including 3.9gpa. Saved more than half what it should’ve cost. Also every single one of my professors are white because I actually looked at demography

>I've never taken a semester off so I'm not sure how that is like.
I mean I got my degree in mechanical engineering. I don't mean take time off, just focus on getting through each semester, rather than finish the whole thing.
>4 more weeks vs 2 more years of this shit

I'm currently at uni as a Sophomore, this shit is fucking stupid. Gonna join the Air Force and either go to a white uni for free or trade school.

Templefag here.

I was in college of education, saw how kiked it was, then dropped out of that major. Now I'm undeclared and want to drop college altogether, get out into the workforce.

Problem is my parents refuse to even entertain that notion; they still have the "a degree will help you in life sweetie you need to stay in college it'll be worth it" mentality

I've thought about the military route before. It just always seems like a hit or miss

Gotta do your research. It's definitely red pilled as fuck even though you're serving (((our))) over lords. The respect and opportunity it provides someone in their formative years seems invaluable to me.

That piece of paper can do a lot for you, but it's losing its luster. Now a Masters is worth a Bachelors. Non-degree holders or people with associates degrees will all basically end up in retail or a trade. Just finish it out and get good grades.

>Now a Masters is worth a Bachelors
I wouldn't say that. I know the Jews push it because they want you to pay for 2 more years, but it's not that bad yet

Yeah the only thing I dislike about it is serving ((them)). If Trump goes through with draining the swamp maybe it won't be like this for much longer.
I agree the respect and opportunity it provides is great. This is a decision I've been pondering for a while. Almost everyone I talk to tells me to finish school and go in as an officer instead of enlisting and finishing college afterward

They usually don't pay for your college if you go in as an officer, and honestly if you're only going to do 4 years and not a career who cares about the officer thing.

What is the most red pilled branch of the military?

I agree, I'm doing a masters now and out of my three teachers, one is from Zimbabwe and knows nothing, one is Mexican and may be an expert but I can't tell what she's talking about, and one is a moron who just keeps talking about her personal problems. I am also learning from books. At least I'll have that sweet sweet masters.

DESU I have no clue, I know the Air Force is the most comfy, and if I'm going to be serving ((them)) I'd best be doing it in style.

I think air force takes best care of their people. The marines just love killing shit. And sailors are gay.

I don't know my dude, job requirements are getting retardedly specific and advanced. I'm in IT and when I look for jobs the experience options are either a bachelors and at least 5 years experience or a masters and maybe 1 or 2 years experience on top, and these aren't senior level positions.

>That piece of paper can do a lot for you
lmfao, not as much as just working would have done.
Quit trying to buy a ticket to success. You gotta climb for that shit.

>10k a year to give you shit notes and toss problems at you

I'm so glad I dropped out of college. Computer engineering is a trash major. I may go back and finish up my last year, but that shit is almost entirely pointless.

I paid £10 for a online Java course about 2 years ago and got a junior position with the projects I was able to make just a few months later. Spending thousands over the course of 3-5 years to be taught by incoherent academics when you can spend nothing to learn from a cheeky Aussie in a fraction of the time is a meme that needs to die.

Yea I saw a lot of that shit too. I just figured it was hr people being fucking retarded because they're hr people.

This is the issue though

Chem major here.

Get used to it.

My professors are the same way.

Foreign and don’t give a shit about teaching.

It’s no wonder we graduate so few STEM students.

You can take comfort in the fact that the American university system isn’t sustainable and will collapse though.

>Now I'm undeclared
This is such a waste of time and money. Pick a subject you're good at and pick a career you can get out of college that will make you the most money. It doesn't matter if you think you won't like. Just finish anything that makes money so you can get on your own feet. When you make a shitton of money, even if the job sucks, you have money to spend on attaining a career you want. Don't fuck around with anything else. I met so many people in college with no direction only to be in school for too long.
Look at what your school offers for major(in a subject you're good at like math/chem/bio/etc), and then look at job prospects if you have that degree. Do not fall for the "I need a Master's/Doctorate after this Bachelor's. That's all bullshit and you shouldn't waste your time with it. There's a reason why I laugh at students with psych majors in undergrad that complain about college costing too much. You're going to be stuck for another 2-4 years if you want a real job, even then it's shitty.
If your college path isn't
>I get degree now I get job
You're an idiot.
If your college path is
>I get degree so I can get this degree, so I can get this degree, now I get job
You're an idiot, or you're well-off so it doesn't matter.

fuck that. paid a teacher who essentially put the first gold results for every topic on the Canvas page. I can fucking google. a teacher should be able to curate and contextualize complex material. not just throw the kitchen sink at you.

Yeah I actually have two cousins that are retired air force vets. One of them is a pilot now for a big airlines company.
I've always been fond of the marines but I've heard they don't take care of you as well and are struggling financially or someshit.
Air force seems pretty appealing though

He’s likely a boomer and a teacher who espouses the old “pick yourself up by the bootstraps!” line.

Ask them why you should pay the university a dollar for anything other than exam proctoring and grading if you have to teach yourself and watch them melt down.

>Almost every single teacher I've had except for a few are foreigners

that's because american education doesn't work. you have to import.

Sometimes I regret it but I'm too close to finishing to quit and waste all the money I put into it. I learned a lot but I also regret not sticking to my original major. I was supposed to major in foreign language and communications but instead I fucked around and will end up with a Liberal Arts degree.

Kek I'm saving that

>liberal arts
user.....

>I've always been fond of the marines but I've heard they don't take care of you as well and are struggling financially or someshit.
I get the attraction, but yea there is way less support, and you're going to have to deal with some retarded bullshit. That was what killed (not literally) my buddy who was a marine. People would get their ass torn open in front of everyone for suggesting a better way to do something to a higher ranked guy. Unless you're really prepared to deal with that on a daily, I'd be hesitant

>teachers need to do their job as well.
They aren't teachers, they are professors. Their employment and tenure is based on the research they do and the papers they publish for the university. If you get to know any professors personally you'll learn that most of them couldn't give half a shit about the classes they teach - they are focused on churning out research papers so they can stay employed and maybe get tenure. They have their sides and lectures down pat, and any guided assistance a student needs can be provided during the professor's office hours. This for the most part emulates the working world. Your boss ain't gonna sit down and show you everything step by step, he'll give you a rough idea and give you any relevant documentation. You'll work it as much as you can and then go to him with any specific things you need clarified.

>Anyone starting to second guess their decision on going to college?

I too got a comp sci degree but went into Networking. Very close to making 6-figures at the age of 25, so no, I don't regret it at all.

I went to college twice and there is still a ridiculous amount to learn. One of my degrees is CompSci.

If you can't appreciate what you're learning then just get a trade skill or manage a store like all the other brainlets.

>get used to it
Almost every college I looked at had names and usually pictures of entire staff, organized by department. They also had active research pages to allow undergrads to contact them for research projects, so you can even see what they’re currently working on. It is entirely your fault

so, why don't we just pay to take an accredited exam for verification of knowledge. it would be much more efficient in many places, save money and time. seems we go to a lot of lengths to further inefficient institutions in this country.

>tfw about to graduate with BA in Accounting with Honor's but feel like I didn't learn jack shit
>tfw have absolutely no desire for 2 more years of school to be able to sit for the CPA

I had a revelation the other day: the last 3 and half years of schooling were for nothing. Being an auditor/tax/staff accountant is literally something a fucking highschool grad with some on-the-job training could do, you only need a degree to do them because accountants, like doctors and lawyers, have been given state power to certify their own industries and thus they jack up educational requirements and regulations to ensure their own salaries go up.

FFS one of my professors took the CPA exam in the 80s and there weren't any fucking schooling requirements, you could literally show up to each section, pass, and get a CPA license if you actually knew your shit through self study. Now you need 5+ years of school (including getting into a grad school), aka $100k plus another $3-5k for a study guide program. College is just one massive fucking meme.

You're better off diving into the material yourself and actually learning it. It'll make you a better engineer.

Better yet, why aren’t 99% of degrees offered online?

See all these people telling you to suck it up and stop complaining about not getting the education you payed for, while offering you no actual advice?

There’s a reason they have nothing to offer you.

Hint: They didn’t make it through 1 semester of community college.

I quit college 17 years ago as a comp sci major. Applied for entry level programming jobs. Learned way more at work and online than I was ecer did at school. Eventually moved on to be a sysadmin contractor for the govt and make way more than anyone I know, without any debt.

Just quit and go get your experience .

Alright, I think I figured out a decent career plan where I at least don't have to pay for this shit.
Advance enlist in the Air Force aiming for Cyber System Operations. Pursue that for 4 years while on the side finishing my degree and certs to become a network engineer and a system admin.

Anyone else lurking, y'all think this is a good idea?

I think you're in the wrong field op. Can't say what's right for you but if you don't like working with ESLs you're limiting your job prospects to real small timers. Can't say your military will be much different either