Shinkai admits his film is mediocre and urges others not to watch it. Also afraid of Miyazaki seeing it

Shinkai admits his film is mediocre and urges others not to watch it. Also afraid of Miyazaki seeing it.
japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGJ9rxsrLIW

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
angryanimebitches.com/2016/11/thoughts-on-kimi-no-na-wa
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-27/shinkai-your-name-novel-to-be-published-in-u.s-and-21-other-countries/.110378
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He just knows he can still improve a lot and don't want to be shadowed by Your Name for the rest of his career.

Based Shinkai is just showing humility as he knows he's about to eternally BTFO out of M*yazaki.

Well he pretty much like to make the same kind of movie again and again so I can see why he thinks mainstream success could be too much pressure or give people unrealistic expectations

Based Shinkai.
Trying to be humbled and take the high road. Ghibli is finished.

I fucking hate how overly-humble japs are. Just be proud of your success fucking hell.

"Anime was a mistake" - Shinkai 2016

how come it's this movie that has gotten the most attention out of all his work?

This, old faggot BTFO

He's taking the moral high ground by being humble instead of turning into the old-man-yelling-at-cloud that miyazaki became

I think Shinkai is asking himself that very same question right now.

Because it's not boring artsy shit. Garden of Words was good but it wasn't really a complete film, just a short.

are you a literal moron?
it's not about him being overly-humble
it's about how his future movies must be on par with kimi no na wa to maintain his unwanted reputation as the "next miyazaki". The burden is too heavy for shinkai to handle

Because Miyazaki's getting real old and they need a new guy to be the next face of mainstream family friendly anime movies. Shinkai's works are safe and appeals to a wide range of demographic so this is the perfect time for him, hence all that marketing to push him as the next Miyazaki etc.

It's feature-length with a happy ending but still has the elements people enjoy about his work.

The Directors felt experience overwhelm popular around the World. I bet he's not sleeping well.

Japanese consuming system is worst thing on the planet

>“For me it’s incomplete, unbalanced. The plot is fine but the film is not at all perfect. Two years was not enough.”
I thought the plot could be tightened and the body-swapping hijinks could be lengthened, while the visuals were more than fine

>“There were things that we couldn’t do,” he says, explaining that his team of animators led by one of Miyazaki’s greatest disciples, Masahi Ando, wanted to keep working on it but with money running out he had to stop.

Sounds like Ando had really high standards for the film. The final product is around the animation level of a Hosoda movie, maybe a bit lower, but it definitely wasn't like a Ghibli production.

It took this long until he finally lost it. Everything he said in the first part of this article is rebuttal of all his previous interviews.

What should I believe in now?

Who was forst to call Shinkai as next Miyazaki? I think this is the main reason. Film very popular among "normal" japanese people as "best anime movie evar". Normal japanese are completly braindead degenerates who only eats popular trends, big names and don't have own opinions. So they somehow hear about "next Miyazaki". Maybe article in newspaper or radio?

worldwide release, and an easily understandable plot structure with likeable characters for a change.

I'm pretty sure that this film is popular overseas as well.

>rebuttal of all his previous interviews.
How? He just understand that his movie is average and don't deserve praise as second coming of Christ

Body switch between male and female has been done to death (not only in anime).
Is the movie that good?

I may exaggerate things,
but at least the part “I don’t think any more people should see it.” is quite negative and opposed to tone of his previous interview.

no. i've been saying it since this came out, its just mediocre. they also had very few of the body swap scenes, you see most of them in the fucking trailer.

there is one good scene that is worth watching at least, but only in theaters.

Maybe it's the part of his master plan.
>please don't watch my movie!
>but it sold fucking good in Japan and China!

>one interview said that he doesn't care if it's a massive success because in the mainstream, he's a literal who and will just continue to make films as he see fit
>now, scared that his film today is a massive success
He should just be scared that Disney might have an interest towards him. I simply don't care even if it took months, or none at all at releasing his films in my country as long there isn't some shady company on his bidding.

It's Shinkai putting his talents into making a movie that didn't have the moral of "life is unfair, deal with it."

Of course it's going to be popular.

This is version beta.

The final version is a full-on Keit-ai adaptation.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 12 weeks, 11 weekends
>Has surpassed Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle as #2 Anime Film of All Time in Japan
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$288 million).
>Nominated for an Oscar
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>Has become the no. 1 highest-grossing Japanese movie in China
>Has become the no. 1 movie in Thailand
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million)

So this is meme magic. Not bad.

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/

>Nominated for an Oscar
Did it? I thought nominations are announced in January. It's qualifying for a nomination to my knowledge.

I'm just bitter that 3/4 of all the viewers who watched this didn't fucking suffered first on 5cm. I wish Shinkai's next movies do not have happy endings just to weed out filthy normies.

>just to weed out filthy normies.
u wot

Might even be applying for a qualification to be nominated for an Oscar

Maybe some of his words are lost in translation? The tone doesn't fit well with his other previous interview.

>Not even screening in most of the U.S
>Already nominated for Oscar.
This movie won't stop until it conquers everything will it?

It's as much meme magic as it is Trump.

In that a Sup Forums board took credit for a thing they had no hand in making popular in the first place.

Already a thing.

webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

Which one? The one when he passed out after drinking mitsuha saliva?

no, though that scene was decent as well.

i'm talking about when mitsuha is killed by the meteor

So Mottainai is finally going to get an adaptation next, right?

>I'm just bitter that 3/4 of all the viewers who watched this didn't fucking suffered first on 5cm. I wish Shinkai's next movies do not have happy endings just to weed out filthy normies.
5cm does have a happy ending though.

I still don't get what Keit-ai has to do with Kimi no na wa.

it's forced shit meme. You can report those degenerates

I don't know about that.
They fucking meteor splitting up slowly and then crashing into them just didn't do it for me. They repeated it too many times and with too much slowmo that they lost all impact.
The scene after he passed out was pure sakuga

It's on the short list for nomination, not officially nominated yet

>5cm does have a happy ending though.
TAKE THAT BACK. TAKE ALL MY FEELINGS BACK.

Is this the EVA of our generation?

Shinkai is taking a very humble stance and is recognizing his own flaws.
Like a true artist, he's always looking for ways to improve his craft rather than remain stagnant in his career.
This was a very humble and professional comment from him.

>TAKE THAT BACK. TAKE ALL MY FEELINGS BACK.
I mean its bittersweet but ultimately the film ends with the MC letting go of the past and finally being able to move on to a happier state of mind.

And second best selling volume of all time for a light novel.

1 2,323,668 moshi koukou yakyuu no joshi manager ga drucker no "management" wo yondara
2 1,534,225 kimi no na wa.
3 1,309,763 biblia koshodou no jiken techou 1
4 1,160,334 toshokan sensou
5 914,898 biblia koshodou no jiken techou 2
6 792,816 biblia koshodou no jiken techou 3
7 784,423 toshokan sensou 2
8 682,895 toshokan sensou 3
9 656,487 toshokan sensou 4
10 654,786 kagerou daze 1

see >Furthermore, fake Keit-ai posters[18] were made based on promotional images from the Makoto Shinkai movie “Kimi no Na wa (Your Name)”[13], which features plot point similarities (a love story involving cellphones and alternate dimensions) with the copypasta in question. This has gotten to the point that even reviews[47] for the movie reference the meme.

Also, the review in question: angryanimebitches.com/2016/11/thoughts-on-kimi-no-na-wa

>Keit-ai is a light novel

You can't make this shit up.

Because it's an excellent movie that came out at the right time and hit all the right points.
His previous films were too early in his career to boost him to stardom, but they gradually provided a substantial fanbase who helped spread the word of talent.
And now here we are.

Keit-ai has been an overachiever even before Kimi no na wa was released.

Here it is getting third place for manga you want to get an anime adaptation the most.

How the fuck is moshidora the best selling novel of all time? Do they really use this for management course?

If that's what you got out of the movie you weren't paying attention.

Listen to the ending song again with the lyrics open. The theme of that movie is "Time moves forward no matter what you do and it can never go back. Sometimes the smallest bits of happenstance can destroy your life and you will never know until it's too late to change anything."

Too bad it's a flop in the Philippines.

>Keit-ai beat Mob Psycho in the rankings

top kek

Who gives a shit about the Flips?

I think those who watched at least a few of his previous films got the most out of this though. I took a certain enjoyment in seeing that he could also handle another kind of plot.

I wouldn't call it happy, but I see where you're coming from

Shinkai is so nice. I love him even more now. Can't wait for KnnW release in my country.

>the Philippines
Literally who the fuck cares.

Wait a fucking minute
How old is this shit? Proto keit-ai got a movie in 2015
How the fuck does yuusha ga shinda still not get an anime? It is almost 2017 now

Philippines has better taste than the rest of the world.

>HURR DURR EVERY LOVE STORY WITH CELLPHONES IS KEIT-AI HURR DURR

No, they have just been eating shit for years, they know when there is too much shit to eat

How long has it been screening there? Here in Singapore it's almost at the two month mark, pretty surprising for an anime movie.

>It's just that they have the lowest weabs power in SEA.

Are we calling Kimi no na wa "Keit-ai" the same way we call Utawarerumono as "Underwater Ray Romano"?

>a piracy, capitalistic country's taste matters

Really? In Malaysia it was gone after the second week. Thank god I watched it during the premier

As long as Thailand and in Thailand it's the number 1 movie. Philippinos don't care about Kimi no na wa.

Why haven't we gotten one of these for Kimi no Na wa threads yet?

>knowyourmeme
Consider suicide.

source for that? unless you mean it's flopped since it's not showing in cinema anymore

>webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
>Patreon
>$192

We'll get a DVD screener soon right? God damn why hasn't any Academy screener leaked yet?
It's one of the few things holding me together.

>Malaysia
Is it even allowed in the mudslime shithole? ABSOLUTELY HARAM

>Keit-ai spammers' faces when they realize because of its association with Your Name, no future Keit-ai adaptation will ever live up to the hype

>Malaysia
>hating Keit-ai

Isn't that how most artist feel about work that they create.

Eeww malaysian weebs. Pretty disturbing desu kawan.

So did the stars just happen to align perfectly as Shinkai was making this?

When will this shit come out in theaters in Burgerland already?

Early 2017.

He's just tsundere.

In other news, the lite novel is getting an official translation.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-27/shinkai-your-name-novel-to-be-published-in-u.s-and-21-other-countries/.110378

Miyazaki makes fantastical fairytale movies, Shinkai makes human melodrama. Comparing the two makes about as much sense as calling Chris Nolan the new Steven Spielberg because Dunkirk vaguely resembles Saving Private Ryan if you squint real hard.

Malaysia is only about 60% Muslim. The rest are weeaboo chinks who wish they were Singaporean and non-Muslim Indians.

Incidentally it was even more popular in the even more Muslim Indonesia.

half the person i know who watch the movie seen it atleast twice. what so good about it that you need to see it more than once on cinema?

No idea, I rarely rewatch movie especially not right after watching it. Unless it is those long trilogy that come after years long hiatus I would never purposely rewatch any movie

I think in this case some of them want to rewatch the movie to check for the 3years gap hint before the reveal.

all time shit movies require at least a single rewatch

From my experience, this movie left you with empty feeling that need to be filled, like it amplified the hole in your heart.

This. I was left wanting more, and it was nice catching the little details and hints that were missed out on the first watch.

I refuse to watch this movie if there isn't a single masturbation scene. You've had decades to get your act together, body swap movies. Get it right!

This comparison is indeed stupid but so is yours.

Shinkai movies never had a good plot or characters. I like to watch them for beautiful sceneries (even if they are 90% matte painted photos), but that's all.