youtube.com/watch?v=z4_OOcdWQSo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good anime.

Princess Tutu apparently

My favorite anime
Post best girl faggots

Another overrated anime
Or I was too dense to understand it

What could possibly be hard to understand about Tutu?

Why it's so shit

It's hard to understand because it's not true.

Is it okay to lewd Ahiru?

No that's bestiality

But she's already on the OP

Guitar ninjas.

No, too pure.
You can lewd Rue though, she's a slut anyway.

No.

Obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=9197GTl1ASg

One of the greatest anime ever made.

Well, maybe not, but I love it anyway.

One of the three best mahou shoujo ever made.

>the duck never got the dick from Fuckya
My only gripe.

Madoka is number one obviously, Tutu is number two I guess, so which one is number 3?

She could have, if he wrote it in the story. Its left ambiguous on purpose.

Also, spoilers.

Wrong. BSSM and CCS.

>Madoka
who?

No, Tutu is.
1. Tutu, 2. CCS, 3. Madoka.

So nan desu kaaaaaaaaa~

>not giving deserved credit to true art

The creator of Utena worked on the bulk of Sailor Moon. And I prefer the characters and style of Sailor Moon myself. Utena fell apart in the black rose arc and the movie was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Like an art house student film with an unlimited budget.

My only gripe with this show is the lack of ballet animation, I was pretty disappointed to find out that the scenes in the teaser weren't in the show.
youtube.com/watch?v=z4_OOcdWQSo

Also Rue best girl

>Utena fell apart in the black rose arc
Can't say I noticed that but I do wish the series would have been given the movie's money instead.

Utena was fantastic, but it didn't feel like a true Mahou Shoujo to me. Otherwise it'd be #3 in my list, in place of Madoka.

>but it didn't feel like a true Mahou Shoujo to me.
Because its not. Its a weird fusion of a Fujo and a obscure romance drama. Which they somehow classify as 'shoujo'. And even if it was straight shoujo, that's not the same as mahou shoujo. Which most Utena fans can never seem to get.

You know very well what you saw.

Magic Knight Rayearth.

Because the whole point was for it to be a mahou shoujo while not being one.

1. Tutu
2. CSS
3. Nanoha A's.

CCS, I meant

Yes. But only if it is Fakir x Ahiru vanilla.
Or Ahiru x Rue futa rape.

They lewd her in the show.

What's not okay is to have her be with anyone besides Fakia. Including you.

If Utena counts then so does Cutey Honey and Ikuhara might be forced out of the top 5 altogether.

nice armpits

It does but I wouldn't kick him out of the top five.

Can you explain the fondness so many have for CCS because I never quite understood it? I get why Tutu is held so highly as it has likeable characters that get meaningfully challenged through a compelling and well paced narrative that doesn't overstay it's welcome. CCS on the other hand is episodic with samey scenarios quite like the majority of other mahou shoujo. Does the childish romance have anything to do with it? Because that worked wonders for E7.

>Cutey Honey
You're kidding? The masters of this craft, old Gainax, couldn't make a worthwhile watch out of that dull titillation.

I never understood, why were some characters animals? Like the ballerina instructor, why was he a cat? Why was one random girl an anteater?

Swan lake

>I get why Tutu is held so highly as it has likeable characters that get meaningfully challenged through a compelling and well paced narrative that doesn't overstay it's welcome.
You literally described CCS at the same time. It was a show with very good characters that also knew the perfect place to end the story. CCS could have gone on for 10 more seasons with its popularity. But it ended when all the sub plots were concluded and didn't add new ones.

Of course all of this is going to be ruined with the upcoming sequel. But for a good 15 years, CCS was one of the best self contained stories in anime. Not just mahou shoujo.

This was outright said in the last episodes. I recommend re-watching it user.

I guess I should, it's been a very long time. Another question, did the dub call Ahiru by Ahiru or Duck?

Complaining that CCS is episodic when comparing it to Princess Tutu is pretty dumb user. Princess Tutu is far more episodic. While CCS has 1/3 its episodes with no card to collect and has a lot of character arcs going on at the same time.

The best modern fairytale story to come out in recent decades.

Ballet is great. Why isn't it used as a theme in anime more often?

Niggas unironically think this is better than Utena?

hahahahaha u r like a little baby

Its been used before. Princess Tutu was just made specifically with Ballet as the main inspiration and not just a fighting/mahou gimmick.

Your reverse trolling is too transparent. Work harder boy.

It is precisely being episodic what makes it user, CCS is not great because of the overall big plot and themes, but more for the high quality of each individual episode.

The only flawless anime.

The greatest love story ever told.

Well aside from episodes being split into 12 minutes and the 480p resolution.

Not one but two of the best endings in anime. In the same show.

Duck I think, but don't go with the dub. Original has that great but sadly unpopular Ahiru VA, Sakurai and based Nana.

Almost. The ending was a bit rushed and the start of season 2 felt monster of the week-ish.
Apart from that it was perfect. 9/10
Also, don't forget best sidekicks ever.

Blame early digital anime. Same for that other 2002 masterpiece, Haibane Renmei.

The 480p resolution sure. The splitting of episodes is blamed on the network that aired the second season. Wanting to take a 13 episode show and spread it into 26.

Duck.

The encode I have has 26 episodes at standard length.

What are you talking about, Haibane got a glorious 1080p release. ;_;

The dub used the original name for everyone, except Ahiru which they called duck. And it was very stupid. But that's what you get for watching dubs.

>Haibane got a glorious 1080p release.
You mean this filtered to hell and back piece of sh... oh wait, you were being sarcastic.

>watching a dub
>not the best human impersonating an animal voice in history

The seiyuu for Ahiru stole the show not just because she was the star, but because of her voice acting skill. She really personified the crackle and quacking of a duck in human form.

The filters are probably the encoder's doing.

Same source I believe.

Early digital coloring, as dull as it was, kinda worked for Haibane, but Tutu would have really benefited from modern vibrant colors. ;_;

lolno tutu was one of the few early digital shows that actually looked decent.

Not saying Tutu doesn't have good visuals, but there's still some of that washed-out look that bothers me. Maybe it's just the releases that kinda suck.

>but there's still some of that washed-out look that bothers me.
I think what you're referring to is something called "art direction". It involves setting the mood via lighting and colors.

Tutu is one of the few early digital shows that attempted to simulate shading. It didn't get it exactly right. But for such an early (and low budget) show, it was a pretty damn good job. Not unlike Sailor Moon for its time.

>black rose arc
>fell apart
holy fucking shit is this nigga for real

Well, you could say it made the show more fairy tale and dream-like, but as based as Satou is I don't know how much of it was intentional and how much depended on other constrictions.

It is early digital. Early digital looks like shit almost always when given a BD. Aria for example the BD looks like absolute shit. If you upscale the DVD it looks a little better but still not worth it in the end. Some things will just have to stay at 480.

The entire format of the show changed from a show focused on an ensemble cast to a few central characters. Remember all those people who complained Nanami virtually disappeared? That happened right at the start of the Black Rose arc.

Go ahead and prove it wrong if you can.

10/10

Tried watching it. The AMV is much better.

I don't see why one is inherently worse than the other but Black rose adds new characters while progressing/fleshing out literally every character form the first arc with the exception of Touga.

>but Black rose adds new characters
You mean those two gay guys who mostly just sit in a room and fondle roses? That's another flaw.

>two gay guys
I'm confused which two guys do you mean? Because it sounds an awful lot like you didn't get what was going on.

If you meant these two "guys" it's safe to say that at the very least the black rose arc went over your head if not the show entirely.

Penguindrum

Because most of the time, nobody known how to use ballet properly in their stories.

Only time I've ever cried at seeing a duck performing a ballet.

>two gay guys
mikado was utenas parallel and was an elaborate set up to force utena to realize that despite the fact that she claims she's protecting himemiya she is still using a shitty system for her own gain to inflate her self ego and reach goals for her own benefit, and that if she continues on this path she'll end up just like mikage. dead and having lost everything.
mamiya wasn't even the real mamiya, it was anthy, so clearly you weren't fucking paying attention.

>Nanami virtually disappeared
except for the fact that she didnt, she was constantly involved with the student council meetings, keiko was motivated by nanami's actions to be part of black rose, nanami has one of the best fights and coming of age moments in part three where she realizes how shitty the student council, ohtori, and her brother are and she moves the fuck on
are you on glue nigga

What's with the lower case posting and weird spacing? I thought Utenafags were better than this.

That's even less a Mahou Shoujo than Utena.

Some damn fine anime you caveman.

savage!

Is Kill la Kill mahou shoujo?
If Cutie Honey is it must be.

Duck is best girl.

Would someone please explain utena for me!

>So there is a prince who looses his powers (he is also a methapor for satan)
>his sister who happens to be a witch, resurrected him as a man named akio (who is a living Metaphor for the sex, power and corruption of the adult life, while being a huge manchild).
>Akio becomes corrupt and uses Anthys magic to create a school and a timeloop, while raping Anthy every week to keep her under control (thus anthy becomes his enabler, while akio relies on her for his looping world to exist. That is why he rapes her, so he would never loose his enabler)
>so there are a lot of timeloops, where every character is the main character at least once, they have to win all the duels, in order to get some bogus revoution power, while in actuality, the winner just unlocks the prince powers, which Akio will just steal.
>so if akio got the prince powers back, then he will be manchild devil with superpowers.
>The show is the loop where Utena is the main character, but instead of freeing the prince, she actually freed anthys heart from akio.
>Thus breaking the loop, and leaving the manchild devil forever trapped in his world, useless without an enabler.

Here's an easier description:

>muh symbolism

Or that.

It's magical realism, you don't need to use magic or time loop nonsense to explain why the setting is bizarre.

Climbing the stairs,
a girl is there.
We fight for the right,
to bed the purple head.

Our cycle complete,
it begins anew.
Lesbians and Semi trucks,
symbolizing everything and nothing.

A red rose for the pair,
a black rose for despair.
Playing the piano in the sunset,
tossing salad in a tunnel.

Revolution.

>Princess Tutu thread
>devolves into arguing over Utena

Every fucking time. This is why Utena fans are seen as obnoxious.

Mastered at SD, can't have a decent HD encode. BD's filters are awful, stick to the DVD.