This is my reaction to Evangelion 3.3
(You) can not fuck this up again

Play both of these videos at the same time:

youtube.com/watch?v=tlPfWxul5F4
youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYVrBX4v0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DWkRFsVwOkQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Same. I was legit staring at the ceiling.

You can (not) redo is an embarrassment. In retrospect, it really is a catastrophic failure. It sold less physical copies than it's predecessor 2.22 which didn't even have half the hype. The only reason it made any money at all in the box office was because people was super excited after 2.22 and was dying to watch the sequel.

It made decent cash thanks to 2.22's hype, around 60M. It sounds like a lot, until you have a look at what an actually decent anime movie that isn't all pandering garbage can make. Enter "Your Name", which has as of now earned a staggering 220 million US dollars in the box office, and is STILL going strong.

Quite honestly, if anime wasn't a simple entertainment but serious business, people who liked, hoped for or worked on 3.33 should be dragged out in the streets and shot, and their families burned for good measure.

I honestly wish that 3.0 was so bad it was good so I could get a good laugh but it's just bad.

The best part of Rebuild was the Schick campaign.

youtube.com/watch?v=DWkRFsVwOkQ

The zoid eva and transforming tentacle/jetpack were just stupid. Creature design took a step backward even by Rebuild standards.

>that last sentence
Uh, wow. I really hope you're a NEET, or at least doing something absolutely inconsequential that doesn't require making any decisions that affect anyone anywhere.

>until you have a look at what an actually decent anime movie that isn't all pandering garbage can make.
>Enter "Your Name"
Jesus Christ has an argument ever been killed as much as this post has?

Still haven't seen any of the Rebuilds. Should I bother?

Beautiful animation, kinda dumb plot. Mari a shit.

>It sold less physical copies than it's predecessor 2.22 which didn't even have half the hype
>It made decent cash thanks to 2.22's hype
Yeah because its not like Evangelion is a highly recognizable and highly regarded brand name or anything.

First two are decent, third one is so bad it's not worth watching any of them.

'Even by rebuild standards'.

I don't know I think Eva 01 and Zerueal looked pretty good.

It's pretty obvious after watching Shin Godzilla that Anno is fed up with working on Eva so he tried to turn it into something else instead.

Just rewatch the original. Rebuilds are just crap knock-offs.

Who said it wasn't?

Are Reifags awake now or is this user a late bloomer?

First is basically a pasta of episodes 1-2+5, short of 3+4 and massive remaster of 6. Worth it for that last part.

Second is basically the Sayonara no Tsubasa of Eva.

Third is just a nonsensical mess that has nothing to do with eva anymore and a narrative void.

You did.

What, no?

Nice butthurt, I relish in it.

I'd recommend against it.

That's part of the point. Being recognizable and being part of a brand with a fantastic pedigree (at least up until 3.33) is a great help, but despite that it's under-performing. There's far more potential for anime, and Rebuild ended up just catering to eva otaku and other basic otaku rather than actually trying to be good on it's own. It's coasting on EVA fame, when it had the chance to be much more. It's a shame.

All of the redesigns were pretty good up until 3.0. I even thought Eva-05 and ZA BEASTO were pretty good and still consistent with existing Evangelion design conventions. Then things got out of hand with 3.0's excessively cartoony shit.

>and being part of a brand with a fantastic pedigree

I actually watched it again this weekend. For me, 3.33 gets better each time I watch it, and I hated it the first time I saw it. The more I watch it though the more I understand and puck up on.

The story actually makes a lot of sense now. There are still elements of the film I dislike though (namely introducing all the Wille characters and then doing nothing with them, and everyone in Wille not telling Shinji shit).

My prediction for 4.0 is that it will take place before 3.0 and tell the events of 3rd impact and the formation of Wille. Thus leaving the conclusion to the Rebuild series open and ambiguous, or paving the way for a sequal TV series that starts after 3.33's events.

Anno really is brilliant desu.

It was the 19th highest grossing animated film in Japan despite being a shit movie.

>The more I watch it though the more I understand and puck up on.

If that was true, you'd hate the movie even more.

True, but in interviews he has said the Shin Godzilla has given him the inspiration to get back to work on Evangelion.

I think the faggot means that people expect better from the movie, and was let down to its crap factor was higher than the hype behind it.

19th place, for one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed franchises? Not that impressive, to be honest.

The only reason it actually made that spot was because of the hype from previous movies. Half the audience literally ditched it the first week, check box office mojo if you don't believe me.

>and being part of a brand with a fantastic pedigree (at least up until 3.33)
Ya blew it
>but despite that it's under-performing
It made the most money out of all the Rebuilds senpai and is the highest grossing Eva film too.

How come user?

Hey autismo, one post is enough, you don't make any more points or even at all contribute with each "greentext" and non-reply.

>The only reason it actually made that spot was because of the hype from previous movies
Why would an establish franchise need hype from a previous film? Are you fucking stupid?

>ZA BEASTO

There was much backlash when it came out but the thing still is very Eva like and pretty cool as well.

The megaman cat is just retarded.

What's wrong user? Is your ass sore or something?

>until you have a look at what an actually decent anime movie that isn't all pandering garbage can make.
>Enter "Your Name"

Because you'd start seeing all the plot holes and issues with the film? So don't come here lying to us, you're just a fantard trying to promote a film you liked in the first place.

It's a shallow, boring dud of a film user, and forcing yourself to like it doesn't change anything.

>these butthurt Asukafag autist replies carrying no argument

It's a shame Asuka fans have to bring down the thread quality all the time. Imagine how we could be discussing Evangelion and it's future, but now we'res tuck with acidic, butthurt Asukafags?

Oh, so you don't have any actual points, just generic shitposting? Okay...

Not really, or not at all, but they can't be described so you'll probably end up watching them anyway.

All the characters are shadows or caricatures of their former selves, and there is nothing in it that made Eva Eva. There is no compelling story or realtionships, it's just an anime about women in rubber suits punching Cthulhu. There is also half an hour of homoerotic piano lessons, as well as a ton of overt fanservice. In the case of Mari, the sebisu is so strong it goes straight from sexy to creepy. She doesn't do anything except show off her butt and get in predicaments. Almost like she's not part of the scenes, but exists on a meta-layer between the movie and the audience.

Okay then, if you watched it and apparently understood more, then how do you rationalize the unrealistic behavior of the main cast during the first half of the film aboard the Wunder?

You did think it out, didn't you? Keep in mind, "rationalizing" and "excusing" is not the same as "thinking" or "understanding".

>Rebuild is told out of order
>4.0 is the ending preview from 2.0 and the last quarter or so of the film jump cuts to 3.0's ending
>Wille defeats Nerv and starts to rebuild humanity from scratch
>Neo-humanity is closely linked to the Evangelion technology
>Anno remakes the scrapped EoE sequel project
>TV series 200 years after 4.0
>Wille/Nerv/Seele and the Children are all mythological figures
>humanity lives in a single city protected by a massive AT Field (which is actually coming from Wunder + Eva-01's core deep underground)
>child soldiers pilot completely biological Evas from the womb
>battle children of the other Adams while trying to find the truth of the past

NEXT AFTER EVANGERION SHIN GEKISHOUBAN:
HUMANITY IS ON THE BRINK OF EXTINCTION
THE ANGELS' "ATTACK ON EVANGELION" PERSISTS
AND A NEW HERO EMERGES
There'll also be plenty of fanservice!

Why did you even bother with that shit post?

You didn't read my post did you? That was one of my grievances. Try again user.

And thus Evangelion remains relevant for another decade and a half. I'd be down for the ride.

Most of the Wunder's crew were teenagers or young adults when Third Impact happened, and Shinji seems to have become the target for blame because he was the catalyst (absorbed Zeruel ENTIRELY, allowed Lilith's soul to merge with Eva-01 by taking in Rei). Their behavior is totally rational if this is their understanding, and the only main cast with further understanding of events who interact with him are Misato, Ritsuko, and Sakura.

Misato goes along with the crew's belief because she needs to maintain their respect. She doesn't kill Shinji, which is enough to show that she doesn't blame him for what happened and thinks he deserves a second chance even if it means risking the entire world. It's just an awful situation for her and she's pressured into acting out of character.

Likewise, Ritsuko is fairly neutral towards him because she also knows what happened wasn't his fault (plus she probably knows it was all a set-up by Seele if she's anything like in the original series).

And Sakura is openly friendly to Shinji, knowing that he was friends with Toji who had probably told her about how Shinji saved him and Kensuke from Shamshel.

That whole intro scene actually makes more and more sense the more you think about it and rewatch it. The only part I'd still complain about is that Ritsuko could and should have directly explained everything to Shinji after they confirmed it was him, but maybe they were still a little bit uncertain or didn't have time since the attack seemed to occur hours after he woke up.

For the numerically challenged, here's what is saying.

Rebuild 3.33 is blue, Your name is red. It's interesting in itself to look at the 3.33 graph, the viewers bailed pretty hard on that one.

I have severe autism.

>You didn't read my post did you? That was one of my grievances. Try again user.
I did, but someone answered anyway. Wow, must suck to be you.

>That whole intro scene actually makes more and more sense the more you think about it and rewatch it.

On the contrary. Even if your above reasoning wasn't purely fanwanked and thus invalid, you're simply making do by ignoring the glaring holes. Onscreen characterization and explanations trump fanwank AKA "fan interpretation", and it's made clear that they're against impacts, and they know that emotional distress may cause one, and yet they still emotionally badger and threaten Shinji. It's sort of like being afraid that a bomb may go off, but then you thrash it around anyway.

Then they would also know that NERV are in fact the bad guys, and that being mad at Shinji is pointless.

The entire thing falls apart completely, and no, the whole "blaming Shinji" doesn't make any sense.

First of all, I'm not the same user.
Second of all, it's not supposed to make sense. Some people praise Anno for creating a feeling of confusion and being lost, but honestly they're either looking for patterns that aren't there or just sucking Anno's dick. A story is supposed to stand on its own. If you make a story that can't be understood, because it's explained by another story that isn't made yet, it's simply a bad story.

Well yeah, that's precisely the point. Quite frankly I think it's downright disturbing how low people who defend 3.33 will go simply to protect their otaku interests.

Even online, they can't be honest and admit hat 3.33 is a garbage movie.

That's besides the point since 3.33 is the 19th highest grossing and the highest grossing Eva film this chart is also missing several factors like the date and the amount of theaters they opened in. This chart is just worthless.

How can you say my interpretation is invalid and then say something like:

>and yet they still emotionally badger and threaten Shinji

Everyone either completely ignores Shinji or avoids him except Sakura. The crew is obviously distressed that they have to deal with him again, but they're not really directly mad at him. If they were, then they would've killed him right off the bat. The whole scene with Shinji getting away is really important in conveying the actual thoughts of the characters. Misato avoids killing him intentionally. Ritsuko doesn't even pressure her into killing him despite standing next to her, knowing full well the consequences.

Yes, it seems kind of ridiculous that they're so rude towards him considering the consequences if he betrays them. But they have to act that way or risk having the rest of the crew who didn't emotionally bond with Shinji 14 years ago lose faith in their commanders.

My God, do I hate Anno, what a troll
>completely idiotic plot
>fanfic-tier writing
>FUCKING HOUR OF HOMO PIANO LESSONS
>FUCKING HOUR OF HOMO PIANO
>m-muh third impact
>m-muh Shinji's at fault
>Mari shitting all over the place with her mere presence (completely pointless shitty character)
>soft pink or whatever it's called faggots all over the place
>kaworufags are shitting again
>Asuka becomes literally who
>Rei becomes literally what
>overly faggy voice work
>m-muh sequel
>A FUCKING HOUR DUDE
>m-muh Nadia references
The only thing that can save this shitfest is a decent final. I hope it will be as kino as "Until You Come to Me"

Here's another graph comparing the two, this time with cumulative earnings.

3.33 flatlines quickly, while Your Name shows consistent growth.

You say it's worthless because you don't like the facts. Regardless of the numbers, the trends of the graph tell a story on their own.

3.33 being the highest grossing movie doesn't say much due to the circumstances, which had a lot of hype from 2.22 and enormous advertising.

I'd love to read your post OP, but unfortunately 3.33 is beyond any conventional criticism that anyone on this board is qualified to make about it, because, simply put, it was a movie that was made for you to hate. It's the film's entire purpose to piss off you and everyone else who fell for the 2.22 meme movie. Anno is a genius and 3.33 proves what he had always believed about the Eva fanbase and Otaku in general.

Maybe I am just starting to suffer from stockholm syndrome but I have really come to appreciate 3.33. I don't know what to call it but it is pure undiluted Anno.

Once again he looked every otaku in the face, called them out, and beat them over the head with a baseball bat. It was beautiful

>How can you say my interpretation is invalid

Because it is. Your objection there just demonstrates my point. You claim everyone "ignores shinji except sakura", but the facts are that he is ordered to the bridge at gunpoint, treated in a dismissive manner, only to be summoned to an interrogation chamber where multiple crew members including Asuka, Misato and Ritsuko gather around to threaten him or badger him.

That's why your interpretation is invalid, you're lying to me and yourself. There is really one rational answer here, and you're trying to avoid it as hard as you can: the movie sucked.

You're making stuff up, refusing to accept what you saw. The things you say, like
>But they have to act that way or risk having the rest of the crew who didn't emotionally bond with Shinji 14 years ago lose faith in their commanders.

makes no sense whatsoever.

>I'd love to read your post OP, but unfortunately 3.33 is beyond any conventional criticism that anyone on this board is qualified to make about it, because, simply put, it was a movie that was made for you to hate

...aaand you just disqualified yourself. This board is far more qualified than you or any other group you pick out by the looks of it. Why? Because you've conveniently forgotten to mention the indisputable fact that 3.33 was made to be loved by e.g Kaworu fans, who had the biggest helping of Kaworu service in the entire franchises history.

b8

you forgot to attach the graph

That I did.

Should i watch the rebuilds?

>Their behavior is totally rational if this is their understanding, and the only main cast with further understanding of events who interact with him are Misato, Ritsuko, and Sakura.
In all honesty it was one of the most irrational movies I'd seen so far, and in before watch more anime.
Honestly, if the whole cast just stopped what they were doing for half an hour, so the characters could set up an improvised stage with lights and instruments and do a musical number, their behavior wouldn't have been any less rational for doing it.
Why did Misato implant her de facto son with a bomb? After not seeing him for X years? Why is Gendo living in a ruined building like a Madao? Why does no one talk to anyone or try to resolve or negotiate things? No one acts like that. Did the script writers just sit down and roleplay the characters, writing down the stupidest things that came to mind?

>You say it's worthless because you don't like the facts
Nope because your missing key information like number of theaters, competition, etc. If anything you don't like facts because you're downplaying that 3.33 is the highest grossing film in the franchise by comparing it to a fucking abnormality like fucking Your Name as evidence for nothing.

3.33 gets a couple of millions in lead on YourName, but just plummets from thereon and loses badly.

I liked 3.33 for trying to do something different, it was pretty much what happened after instrumentality, and now mankind is in a post apocalyptic situation.

the problem is that Anno did an awful job at introducing the world, and since it's a timeskip, everyone's character is brand new, and should've been properly introduced and fleshed out. it makes it very unnerving as the viewer but also alot of the decisions that are made by shinji don't really make that much sense either.

I can only hope that 3.0 +1.0 covers alot of this bullshitery

Remember also that those crew glaring at Shinji aren't shown interacting with the other Children and the choker was something they already had, they didn't invent that for him. It's conspicuously not established that Shinji is being singled out outside of his own stupid head.

>Comparing a film from different time intervals with different screening intervals as a point

What exactly are you trying to prove?

>Why did Misato implant her de facto son with a bomb?
Last time he piloted eva he nearly ended the world, it was to stop him in the event it happened again, she says as much
>Why is Gendo living in a ruined building like a Madao?
After he went on magical donkey adventure he is still trying to be reunited with his waifu after world almost ended
>Why does no one talk to anyone or try to resolve or negotiate things
With respect to Shinji, because they don't care about him, they don't feel the need to explain, because he is just a tool for them to achieve their objective and they don't trust mr I am so selfish I want to destroy the world

What is the point of Mari's existence in the whole series? Why did she even appear? Just for the sake of fanservice? It's the only character that really annoys me. Don't answer with dumb theories like "she's Asuka's child/mom" or whatever other bullshit, she makes no fucking sense at all.

>Nope because your missing key information like number of theaters, competition, etc

All I hear is butthurt whining. None of your complaints actually matter as described earlier, the rather large dataset so far speaks volumes, and like I said, even discarding the concrete numbers and looking it at it relatively, there is no getting around the fact that

3.33 LITERALLY LOST HALF IT'S AUDIENCE AFTER THE FIRST SHOWING

DESPITE ENDLESS TWITTER BOASTINGS OF KAWORU FANS AND OTHER IDIOTS SAYING HOW THEY ARE REWATCHING IT EVERY SINGLE WEEK

>I liked 3.33 for trying to do something different,

That's like saying you like the McRib coming back for "doing something different". Basically you don't understand the difference and much less what it means.

You realize you're being extremely childish, right? You're basically voiding all and every single movie list, INCLUDING the one you're promoting (MUH 19TH PLACE!) because guess what, those also were aired under different circumstances with differing numbers of screens and more.

read the rest of the post idiot

>What is the point of Mari's existence

She is a thomasson

>you're lying to me and yourself. There is really one rational answer here, and you're trying to avoid it as hard as you can: the movie sucked.
It couldn't be helped, I read this part in Asuka's voice.

red herring

if it doesn't get resolved in 3.0 + 1.0, she's useless

>All I hear is butthurt whining
Yeah from you.
>3.33 LITERALLY LOST HALF IT'S AUDIENCE AFTER THE FIRST SHOWING
Hilariously enough its drop is quite normal so you're literally making a big deal out of nothing.
Pointing out the flaw in your information is the opposite of being childish. You downplaying and ignoring everything is in fact quite childish and doesn't change the fact that 3.0 made more money than most anime films make in a lifetime and using Your Name as an comparison is a ridiculous strawman.

I did read it, faggot. It just proves my point right, the idea that you at all think what 3.33 did is recoverable in any conventional sense means you didn't understand a single thing of what 3.33 did or was.

Try again.

She was probably made because the writers wanted a character like that, and she ended up being the lesbian expansion pack for Asuka, so that the could make Asuka more popular. Sad how that works.

>his and her circumstances

3.33 still sucks as a movie, but the idea that it could've been a good movie, had anno not been a hack, is still valid, you autstic fuck

>Pointing out the flaw in your information is the opposite of being childish.
You didn't point out any flaws, though. You just namedropped a couple of semi-relevant factors and then hypocritically push another "ranking" where none of those factors are applied.

Just bow out gracefully, you loon.

>You didn't point out any flaws, though
You're missing number of theaters, dates they both came out among others. All of which are applicable.

>3.33 still sucks as a movie, but the idea that it could've been a good movie, had anno not been a hack, is still valid, you autstic fuck

That doesn't make sense. 3.33 could have been good if it wasn't 3.33 at all? You can't have it both ways. 3.33 sucks and that's final, fantasizing about some 3.33 that doesn't suck isn't some form of defense. All you're doing is making it clear just how bad 3.33 was.

If we gave it another director, or "unhacked" Anno, 3.33 would simply not exist. The premise and the story isn't bad because of small directorial mistakes in executing it, the premise, the story and the execution itself exists precisely BECAUSE of Anno being a hack.

If we turned back time, slapped some sense into Anno, there'd be no Wunder, no timeskip, no nothing. All of those bad things exists because Anno wanted, like the hack he is, to push the story in a direction that didn't make sense.

The power of Anno compels you. You will rike the movie even if you hate it. You will rike the movie even if it's made for you to hate yourself. That is the true nature of the Eva.

None of them apply, and you've failed to give any form of counter to that fact. It's not enough to say "temperature", "screens", "type of candy sold in the cinema" or any of the billions of factors that apply, you actually need to argue WHY the absence of the factors you point out actually produce a flaw. Which you haven't. Which is what makes you a dumb child, just now you're showcasing just how unintelligent the average 3.33 fan is. I can only hope you're not the "average", and just extremely stupid.

Anyway, you're never getting over the fact that you've already crushed your own argument by citing some unsourced "top 19" list where 3.33 apparently ranks last.

Just bow out gracefully.

She is the antithesis of the other characters. Unlike the other characters, she's just having fun.

you are autistic

3.33 as a concept is pretty cool, returning to the world of eva, After instrumentality has been completed, means that you return to a world where only those who wish to live in the real world exist. because of this they are still in a wasteland after what happened with instrumentality.

it makes complete sense

theres nothing wrong with introducing a timeskip, or introducing wunder, or a new direction. if you think that introducing new things into eva can't be done, then you're an idiot, because there are a ton of unexplained bullshit in eva, and there are a bunch of unexplained bullshit in the rebuilds

again, the problem is that anno doesn't know how to handle any of these new things. he thinks that people would understand character motivation because they understood the old characters, and that's completely off.

seriously, quit being an autistic faggot.

She's tied to the other international Evangelion organization the UN sponsored instead of Nerv, which is tied to Seele not being the UN anymore, which is tied to Seele being disembodied intelligences from before civilization transmitting holograms from inside the New Nerv inverted pyramid, none of which is guaranteed an explanation.

>223 theaters
Your Name
>301 theaters added more after August and will being showing in 4DX and IMAX

This is also not pointing out the fact that 3.0 opened up against One Piece Movie Z within the same timeframe which opened NATIONWIDE while Your Name had virtually no competition until the new Death Note movie moved it from the top spot but was back up again the following week due to adding more theaters.
>None of them apply,
Because you say so right? That's basic rubric retard. You just ignored the factors involved in both films to better suit your argument and when someone calls you out on it you want to call fowl without proving otherwise. 3.0 had a fairly normal drop after a then record breaking opening given, Your Name grew and grew through word of the mouth and is considered an abnormality. Comparing the two makes no fucking sense unless you were trying to prove a point somehow.

I think she was originally supposed to be the "trigger" to indicate that Rebuild was going off the rails. Her appearance signified the first major divergence of the plot (S-DAT track skipping, etc).

I don't think she was created COMPLETELY for fanservice, but I'll still be upset if 3.0 + 1.0 comes out and we still don't know why some random Britbong teenager was working with Kaji.

No man, sorry to tell you, but you're autistic. What you're talking about are just vague concepts that to a normal, ordinary person doesn't make sense at all. What you think is "cool" is something that only an autistic geek or frivolous otaku would find cool. It's something that doesn't intrinsically make sense, but is only cool for a niche. It doesn't make sense, and you've somehow convinced yourself that it does - I'm here to shed some light on the whole situation for you.

Someone who's autistic or just obsessed with EVA wouldn't actually care about the cohesiveness or quality of the work, like you they'd just care that "it's more EVA". Well, it's not enough user. It can't just add a ton of stuff and then be good, you need to work it into the story and make it work first, just like NGE did.

Anno knows very well how to do all of this. He just doesn't want to, because he wants to cater to an audience that is like himself, and doesn't have very high standards, much less normal standards for cinema.

>after all this time I was arguing with an anno dick sucker

makes sense

Again, not a relevant factor here as you've failed to provide a reason. 3.33 also lost screens at some points here due to it's loss of popularity. You bring up One Piece Z, a movie with substantially less advertising and hype, which by the way - beat 3.33 at the box office.

Not only that, it's irrelevant as 3.33's audience was halved twice before One Piece Z was even premiered. 3.33 does not have a normal audience loss, it loses half it's audience, remember? You mention One Piece Z, which had an even larger opening, but still had higher audience retention than 3.33 in all subsequent weeks including the opening weekend.

Like I said, you're grasping for straws here and that's why you should gracefully bow out. You're just embarrasing yourself at this point.

>implying I'm sucking Anno's dick

The guy is a complete hack and has been for years and years now. He has talent for directing, but he is completely and utterly uninterested in pursuing his talents because he'd rather please himself.

>he has talent for directing

no he doesn't you fucking autist

>he is completely and utterly uninterested in pursuing his talents

but he did the new godzilla film and it was excellent, even the repurposed music from NGE was great

>3.33 also lost screens at some points here due to it's loss of popularity
This never happens. Films get pulled from theaters when they're closed to their home release. 3.0 are in theaters until February 2 months before its BD/DVD release.
>You bring up One Piece Z, a movie with substantially less advertising and hype
I'm going to assume you're a shitposter at this point.

Come on now. He's rehashing Evangelion and forcing it into Godzilla, and you're STILL giving him praise?

All Godzilla movies sans the first one are shit tier flicks, and the new Godzilla is no different.

>Almost 2017
>Still using (You)

>again, the problem is that anno doesn't know how to handle any of these new things. he thinks that people would understand character motivation because they understood the old characters, and that's completely off.
I'd say the problem is actually that Anno had less involvement in 3.0 than in previous Eva works. The direction seems to have been split fairly evenly between him and Kazuya Tsurumaki (who directed FLCL and Diebuster).

Which is probably why the beginning of the film has such shaky direction. Tsurumaki was doing a lot of work and has a habit of making things look vague yet flashy while having deeper meaning. If you thought of FLCL during the intro sequence (especially when 09 flies off with the cartoony rocket pack), it's probably because Tsurumaki was responsible for directing/storyboarding most of the beginning scenes.

Which makes sense, Anno probably chose to do that intentionally since he's not as good with whimsical shit like a giant fleet of ships being levitated by a living battlestation. It just happened to end up really messy and fuck up peoples' perception of the rest of the film.

>This never happens. Films get pulled from theaters when they're closed to their home release. 3.0 are in theaters until February 2 months before its BD/DVD release.

It lost screens in december, 2012. The BD came out next year, in april.

>I'm going to assume you're a shitposter at this point.
I'm going to assume you're too much of a zealous fanboy to accept that all the facts prove you wrong.

>I'd say the problem is actually that Anno had less involvement in 3.0 than in previous Eva works.
Conjecture and fanwank.

It also isn't an argument because Anno has complete creative control over the entire project. He owns the studio, the rebuild project, and he's the chief writer and director with a proven veto right on absolutely everything that gets written in.