Is anime stagnating?

Is anime stagnating?
Is too much of it becoming the same?
What could shoot some much needed life into it?

No, it's all good.

anime, movies, games, novels, etc tend to favor one or another genre in a period of time.

"retro" say FPS is video games stagnating but most of their favorite series are nothing but nintendo platformers. It's pretty much like that

Nope, fuck off with your shitposting threads.

There's way too much of it and it's far too commercial. It feels like it's stagnating simply because we're offered an unending supply of images, few of which with any power to actually move us, and we're overwhelmed. Best way to "save" anime would to simply have the industry collapse into something smaller and more maintainable.

quit trying to bump your thread OP

How is it shitposting?
No really, a lot of anime is just the same right now.

yeah sure

(you)

I don't think so, more shows get made than ever before, and studios are struggling to keep up with demand. I don't see how Shonen today is much different from the days of Dragon Ball. My main issue right now is that studios are afraid to take risks.

>Compared to some of the works from the 1950s that I will always hold as a gold standard, the animation we are making in the 1980s resembles the food served on jumbo jet airliners. Mass production has changed everything. The emotions and thoughts that should be so moving have given way to showiness, nervousness, and titillation. And work that should be done lovingly by hand has been whittled away at within organized production systems that focus on straight work for hire. I frankly despise the truncated word "anime" because to me it only symbolizes the current desolation of our industry.
>-Hayao Miyazaki, January 1988

>As far as viewers are concerned, well, they are being bombarded with images around the clock, and they have come accustomed to an infinite supply of them; it's gotten to the point where they have no qualms about demanding even more. [...] Sometimes they even have the nerve to tell us that last year there was such and such, but this year there hasn't been anything good on at all.
>-Hayao Miyazaki, January 1985

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Absolutely. All anime today are ripoffs of the classics, and idol moeshit

So anime has been shit for over thirty years and the good stuff was all pre-80s, or what? It seems sort of stupid to complain about anime of "right now" if the issue's persisted for most of TV anime's existence.

too much quantity, not enough quality, we should go back to the 90s when there were less shows produced but the ones being made were better and had more effort put into them

It's not that "anime is shit" - it's that the conditions under which it's made are bad and have been bad since likely the dawn of TV anime. Television isn't inherently bad, but its nature is that that of a mass produced product which sacrifices quality as well as the artistry of those working in it in favour of something fast and marketable.

anime has always just been a shitty advertisement for manga and video games

I hope none of you are exclusively anime watchers who never read manga because that is quite frankly embarrassing, stop being a philistine

Make the consumers stop being baddies.

anime has always been a fuck ton of the same, mainstream anything has always been blan shit that no one really enjoys other than normies, and cute girls were all over the place in the 80s and 90s.

it was ok when it was just advertising manga, toys, and video games.

but now it's advertising webnovels which is unacceptable

You make a good point.

Almost all media is full of mass produced products, though. And surprise, surprise, good stuff gets made anyway. And then in a few decades people forget the bad stuff, and start liking some of the stuff they used to not like because of contrarianism, and suddenly twenty years ago was the golden age.

It's hardly the consumer's fault though, at least in my opinion.

Truly, anime of twenty years ago was better.

eh not really, about 90% of anime adapted from manga either has shitty filler or doesn't read the ending

Just because everything is mass produced these days doesn't make it okay.

one day people will start saying "why can't anime make classics like SAO anymore"

I mean it's happening now with DB so why wouldn't it?

I bet they were better than anything released this season kek

What are you talking about? Dragon Ball is a great anime

Z is not a very good adaptation though because it has filler and drags the fights out with screaming and power ups (and the manga also stagnates in the Cell arc)

But anyway the Dragon ball anime is a good shounen, nothing wrong with it

GaoGaiGar is but it also doesn't get good until like 20+episodes in

Why are all modern anime so fucking shit? I remember 10 years ago when all anime were badass masterpieces full of shading, action, and cool alpha male protagonists. Now it's all yurishit....where did anime go so wrong?

Because the original Dragonball was actually pretty good and the only thing that compares to it from a similar time frame is Ranma, aka fetish pandering shit with a retarded ending

the 2008 recession happened, this has been discussed many times, studios couldn't take risks anymore and had to make otaku pandering stuff to ensure it would sell

GaoGaiGar is good, Eat-Man is boring, Kero Kero Chime is terrible (and I say this as someone who has no issue with little girls' shows), and I don't think the other three are even translated, but they don't seem particularly good.

people vindicated Love Hina and Tenchi, and I like those series but lets be honest, they have all the shit that you hated form modern day harems.

Love Hina has bitchy tsunderes, misunderstandings, worst girl winning, pussy-ass MC

Tenchi has asexual MC (no I'm not counting the supplementary material it should've been IN the OVAs), harems that flock to him for no real reason, a big expansive plot only occasionally explored since they have to focus the series on harem antics, no real ending in sight

we're talking about Dragon Ball not Love Hina user

> the only thing that compares to it from a similar time frame is Ranma
What the fuck?

even dragon ball is not all that good really

powerlevel and training arcs was as early as the Tao Pai Pai portion of the RR arc, during the pilaf arc it was a gag manga that just made stuff up as it went.

you could say "it's just simple fun" but SAOs "OPMC in MMO getting waifus" can be justified as simple fun as well. And lets not talk of adaption, LNfags been trying to say that the source material was ok for years who will say that they won't end up being the majority?

>all anime
>only watches shounen and ecchi shit

(you)

uhh powerlevels didn't exist until the Saiyan saga m8

and training arcs aren't bad, pleb

well considering what's popular on Sup Forums classic and modern those are the only anime that exists (that and mech anime).

Ranma is a lighthearted martial arts adventure series
Dragonball prior to Z is also a lighthearted martial arts adventure series

Neither of them are similar to, say, Saint Seiya

Dragon Ball is a decent gag series with some action. It's nothing special, seriously. And I don't even know why you're using "it's a good shounen" as though that meant anything; battle shounen have fucking terrible standards.

>oh no I'm finally getting someone I can't easily beat what do I do?
>why not use your brains or creativity to find a good strategy around it?
>nah I'm just going to fuck around a few chapters/episodes and get instantly stronger to curb-stomp them

nah training arcs are garbage

look I know you're trying to sound smart but hating on Dragon ball is pleb 101, it's a good series, get over it

>You're wrong because I said so, stop disagreeing with me!
Thanks for the enlightenment.

>look I know you're trying to sound smart but hating on Sword Arts Online is pleb 101, it's a good series, get over it

this will be our future Sup Forums
hope you will like it

>waaah he didn't beat the villain how I wanted
cry more

Sup Forums does not watch mecha anime

like I said, you're trying too hard and your newfag is showing, Sup Forums has always liked Dragon Ball

>"It's decent"
>"Stop hating on it"

This logic...

they watch it for the waifus

This is true

>like I said, you're trying too hard and your newfag is showing, Sup Forums has always liked SAO

see it's that easy

You do realize Sup Forums didn't exist until almost 20 years after Dragonball aired, right?

you're not very bright are you

I'll have you know I shine in midday. I even know how to use proper punctuation.

What's the left one? Actually does anyone have /m/ beginner guide? (or something like that)

You don't need a chart. Just Goog-

Lurk (don't post on) /m/ and google around for mecha history and read and watch the important series, learn important names.

>tfw most of your favorite anime was made in the 00s

neo-Sup Forums wouldn't know about any of them though

What genre is it now user?

for AAA it is still FPS
for indie it is platformers (and some walking sims)

Create something that's creative and deviates from the typical norm by presenting things in ways that have yet to be presented before.

Cute girls doing cute things in a school club about eating different types of food.

>What could shoot some much needed life into it?
By shooting it in the life. Just let anime die so we can move on with our lives.