Baki [Dou 139 Translation]

It's time for the fucking worst time of the week, everyone - translating police titles in Baki
Everybody, gather round in a circle

Chapter 139: Versus The State

>Tokugawa: Musashiii!
>T: Come back inside the grounds!

>T: Behind the gates, if you're upset,
>T: You can do whatever you want!
>T: But...
>T: There's a different rule of law outside the gates.

>T: My influence doesn't outrank it.
>T: Saving you from them...
>T: Is no longer within my power.
>MS: You are so kind, Tokugawa.

>T: Musashi,
>T: You can't survive outside the gate.

>MS: Tokugawa.

K-kawaii...

>MS: Thank you.

>T: Musashi...
>T: Musaaaaaashiiiiiiiiiii!!!!

>Narrator: Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Criminal Investigation Bureau First Investigative Division Assistant Inspector, Ootsuka Heibee

>Heebeejeebees: Oho!
>H: You're pretty awesome.

>H: I was a detective for a long time, too, but...
>H: This is the first time I've seen such a huge cordon.

I cut the text up wrong on accident; this is on the last page:

>MS: What became of Utsumi?
>H: Mm...
>H: Since he didn't need to be here,
>H: He asked to go home.

This page:

>H: Anyway, Miyamoto-san.
>H: The two-sworded samurai no longer has the option...
>H: Of going along with the police of his own volition.

>H: You need to get in the car.
>MS: You have no tact.
>MS: If you wish to arrest me, come get me.
>H: By all means, feel free to depend on the sword at your side. But...

>H: You'll turn the entire state...
>H: Into your enemy.
>MS: Tch.
>MS: Are you sure you're all fine with this...?

This, and the next page, is a bit hard to explain - Musashi's not directly responding to the enemy comment; he's implying that they might not want to *cause a war* with him.

>MS: Even if I end up cutting down the country...?

>H: This should be good.
>H: Guess discussions have broken down.

>H: Projectile weapons were also prepared.
>H: If you draw your sword, we'll shoot you.
>MS: Assuming you see it happen.

>MS: Now, then...

>MS: Let's go.
>MS: We're leaving this place.
>H: Forget the draw thing...
>H: If he moves, shoot.

>Editor's comment: The war begins!

Character of the week: the famous Jamaican runner, Wilbur Bolt.

Poem of my choosing of the week - yet another Bowles piece; Sidi Amar in Winter:

But I think I have never seen your face
A rainy day, when the sky's grey arteries
Pulse about the trees, and in your heart
Water running. I have never seen you weeping
With the droning of the night, your head resisting silence.

There will come a day when the lines upon the sky
Will cling no more around the towers
And you who tremble in the night
Will go to grey places with an unknown thing.

End chapter. Say your piece, or whatever, on whatever.

Oh, and Dou's getting the front cover and title page next week or something. Could be cool.

Why doesn't Musashi just

he can't just up and

So do no Japanese officials know Musashi is around Yujiro's level? Because if Yujiro is as strong as Murrica's military, I don't see what they can hope to do against him.

Which chapter did Retsu fight Wilbur? I completely forgot but I remember the hype that he had as a boxer after being the fastest sprinter.

Utsumi is essentially the only Japanese official (besides the Prime Minister and the foreign affairs guy from SoO) who even knows that the strong guys exist. Remember that the US's deal with Yuujiro is totally under the table - nobody knows that it exists except for ~10 people, so nobody knows "just how strong" Yuujiro really is.

For virtually all of Japan, Musashi is just some unhinged guy with apparent high-level connections. His only real public appearances have been him wandering around looking confused, beating up a few cops on camera, and spooking a talk show host. The public has nothing with which to connect him to Yuujiro or the other fighters. Chances are that they only brought a bunch of cops because they saw the video of him beating up the five cops and figured more cops was the answer. That, and the fact that he has a big-ass sword.

What happened with Musashi vs Memetobe?

Either you're consciously being mean and tricking people into checking, or you don't know that that specific fight was never actually shown, which greatly upset many Retsu fans

Noone can outmeme memetobe.

Even bullshitsashi.

I'm hoping that Musashi dies. He was alright for a post Prisoner Arc villain but he suffers from the same level of bullshit we got with Pickle where he wins purely because he wins and not because he's a better fighter.

The original interpretation I got was that Musashi was winning because he was a no-rules fighter and the Baki crowd were all limited by their self inflicted rules. Thats also why Memetobe 'beat' everyone he fought because he was pre-planning and using everything in the book to fuck with much stronger fighters.

That's was my original idea about WHY Memetobe was worried noone could top him because Musashi would eventually pull out a cheap tactic like the rope technique vs Retsu or the eye shots vs Pickle to beat someone who had the upper hand.

We saw Memetobe pull the exact thing Musashi had done prior by allowing Musashi to assume he'd won and getting choked out.

OH. I didn't realise it never happened. I remember the fight with Joe Smoke and all that but I just assumed I missed it.

DO YOU DARE TO DREAM?

were scanlations droped for this manga?

>Musashi Art Online

Your filename is your answer.

>I'm hoping that Musashi dies. He was alright for a post Prisoner Arc villain but he suffers from the same level of bullshit we got with Pickle where he wins purely because he wins and not because he's a better fighter.
Mostly agree, but for the fact that he beat Pickle, too. Now that everybody 'gets the picture', as it were, I imagine that Doppo, Shibukawa, etc should have the ability to beat him. But the kill will, of course, go to Baki, if anyone.

I dunno. Pickle never lost to Baki. Memetobe driving Musashi to suicide by cop would be a decent ending to an otherwise mediocre character that killed one of the most iconic and influential characters in the series.

>renji
>most iconic and influencial

>who even knows that the strong guys exist
Didn't the whole world watch the father and son fight?

>a cheap tactic like the rope technique vs Retsu
He used a weapon on a fight where they agreed to do so. Nothing cheap about that. Besides, he had even been going easy on Retsu the whole time.

Yeah, but nobody really knows anything about who they are, or why they were so strong, or that there are dozens or comparably strong people and so on. I don't think the public even got Yuujiro or Baki's names, presumably in part due to political shenanigans. The kid who comes up to Yuujiro at the beginning of Dou just calls him "World's Strongest Creature" or something, right? And Baki runs around everywhere in his normal clothes and goes completely unnoticed, so people don't appear to know specifically who he is, either.

The rope itself wasn't the cheap tactic; pretending to be dead/unable to fight was. If you skim through Baki again, you'll notice that virtually nobody ever plays possum, even if it would help them significantly. I think the convicts and Musashi were the only ones to ever do it, and the former persons lacked the strength and/or skill to do so to maximum effect. Musashi and Motobe are masters of it.

Retsu.

You mong.

>The kid who comes up to Yuujiro at the beginning of Dou just calls him "World's Strongest Creature" or something, right?
He called him "Mr. Ogre". Also, I think the random spectators at the father and son fight knew Baki's name for some reason.

>Assuming you see it happen
BASED MEMESASHI

Don't forget Kaku Kaioh who managed to "beat" Yujiro by pretending to die.

Ogre's still another nickname for him, so I'm going to choose to continue to believe that they don't actually know his name.

I'm pretty sure Yuujiro kept calling Baki 'Baki', while Baki called him 'Oyaji', 'Tou-san' etc, so they could have just picked up Baki's given name from that.

He saved face in such a way that even Yujiro couldn't talk shit but saying Kaku "beat" him is going a bit too far.

I deliberately didn't count Kaku, because he didn't actually play possum, nor did he successfully trick Yuujiro himself. He *did *biologically die, which pissed Yuujiro off because he knew that Kaku could choose to revive at any time, but simply wouldn't. That's why he says "yeah, I know" or whatever when Baki goes to tell him that Kaku is somehow still alive.

>And Baki runs around everywhere in his normal clothes and goes completely unnoticed, so people don't appear to know specifically who he is, either.
What I find the most baffling is that Baki isn't famous for kidnapping the POTUS on a live broadcast.

Eh, that's always easy to handwave as a J. Edgar Hoover-tier cover-up or somesuch. At least, I find it easier to handwave than the fact that Jack is still alive. Super-ODs on super steroids which brings him to the brink of death, gets the shit kicked out of him until he's even closer to the brink of death, has his jugular severed and is smashed into the earth by Yuujiro immediately following; and he's still alive to take dozens of extremely high-risk elective bone extension surgeries and continue his drug abuse (at a higher dosage, as well) two years later.

Shit

Strong is .....

>tokugawa scared of nip gov

Soon

You're letting your headcanon get in the way of what's being shown if that's your complaint.

Bump