AOTY

We all know Rakugo is AOTY. It's fun to shitpost about Hibike and Flip Flappers but even the shitposters have accepted that this is objectively AOTY. So don't get all pent up and start arguing next time you see an aoty shitpost thread. Just join in the fun and have a laugh.

ok

AOTY

This is what I mean. Just join in the fun like these guys,we've already accepted it so just have fun.

I liked it a lot, but I skipped the rakugo parts

You're an idiot.

3-gatsu
Hibike
Natsume
Haikyuu
Rakugo

I also enjoyed New Game and Galko a lot.

They were the best parts you ignoramus

Please,for once,explain to me why Hibike should be AOTY. Please.

Hibike is an emotionally engaging visual masterpiece. Rakugo is gay homosexual shit for gay homosexuals.

No it's not. It's just the same rehashed conclusion.

>something bad happens to character
>spend a couple episodes resolving trouble
>problem is fixed

It lacks any character development or general originality. It's almost identical to season 1.

>Rakugo is an emotionally engaging visual masterpiece. Hibike is gay homosexual shit for gay homosexuals.
see I can do that too

If you seriously think Rakugo is AOTY, remove your homo panties first and try to think again.

What's actually meant to be gay about Rakugo?

Just because the two men act like brothers it's somehow gay? It's not like they fucking hold hands and have romantic chats with one and other.

Honestly,some of you people are so emotionally disconnected to how normal functioning relationships work. It's sad.

I'm deeply offended at the suggestion that literally anything else could be AOTY this year.

Hardly. This year was too consistently weak to have an obvious AOTY - at least in terms of television. I enjoyed it well enough but it's just as bad as most of the other popular shows this year.

>Honestly,some of you people are so emotionally disconnected to how normal functioning relationships work. It's sad.
Where do you think you are?

Why are hetfags either so insistent that something is totally gay and therefore bad, or totally not gay and therefore good? It was somewhat gay, somewhat straight, and was a beautifully written relationship because of it. It is more hetero than most anime (since the men actually have sex and procreate with women), but that doesn't mean it isn't full of gay subtext. The mangaka is a BL writer, she wasn't necessarily aiming to make it gay but the homoerotic tension still leaked out. You can see it in the consistent feminization of Kiku, his prolonged rejection of Miyokichi for Sukeroku's sake, the link between his love for Sukeroku's rakugo and for him as a person, the way they played gay dads for a while, the duet rakugo full of flirting, etc.

>cast is not primarily cute girls
Gay shit for gay homosexuals.

Not the same guy, I will admit there were points where I thought "this is a little gay". I wrote it off as simply them being basically brothers from a different era of time.

Looking forward to the adventures of Konatsu and Yotaro raising a baby together though

>there's something wrong with being gay.

Lol,enjoy your rehashed moe garbage. We had top tier gay anime this year
>Rakugo
>Nanbaka
>Yuri on Ice

That's just to name a few. Face it. Moe is is dead. Yaoi is the future.

>We all know Rakugo is AOTY.
PFFFFFFTHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No
>Keijo
>Re Zero
>Endride
You fucking tried

>Keijo

Went 13 minutes into the first episode and could not continue. Animation was abhorrent and so were the character designs.

>reddit:zero

Good joke, normalfag.

Gotta be Re Zero or Keijo.

Mob Psycho was already unanimously declared AOTY.

>this thread

Retards think that bullshit labels indicate quality. For instance, pic was meant to be a scathing dig but some people took it seriously.

The characters were too dull.

What did Rakugo get right that Fune wo Amu got so wrong?

Flip Flap is AOTY. No joke, no shit, it is.
Rakugo is a boring piece of shit for virgin try-hards.

It was actually about something, and knew it. Fune wo Amu wasn't about nothing but it somehow didn't trust its own mono no aware slice-of-life material enough to not constantly fill everything with the most in-your-face metaphors I've seen in a long time, visual and otherwise.

Did you know that a dictionary is a boat?
On a sea of words?
Have I SHOWN you a literal image of a literal sea of words yet?

This shit's not clever, it's just desperate. And ironically it wasn't even needed because the show would have worked just fine without it.

>Flip Flap is AOTY

tfw you think Flip Flappers and Rakugo are easily the two best shows of the year but you apparently can't call one AOTY without calling the other dogshit.

For the record, I'd still give it to Rakugo.

>without calling the other dogshit
I thought Sup Forums like cuck anime. Rakugo had that and shouldn't be called dogshit.

Its fucking re:zero.

The end was dumb and felt forced with Yurie coming back and immediately wanting to kill herself. Then Sukeroku is holding on to the balcony with just one hand while she's in the other arm just talking about why he wants to die with her when she doesn't even give a shit about him.

It also ignores all of the possible drama that takes place earlier in the show, like the possibility of their master taking it out on his pupils that they're seeing his mistress which can tie into the ending but they don't actually want to blame anyone so it's seen as an unavoidable tragedy instead of a contrivance.

tl;dr no

>The end was dumb and felt forced with Yurie coming back and immediately wanting to kill herself.
Because the ending was a lie. He didn't tell what really happened.

Is that actually confirmed in the manga? I thought about it myself and was about to get real mad when I realized that you can't trust Yakumo on this matter and a sequel was coming.

What's this about and why do people keep calling it homo

So if they both died than why does Sukeroku's daughter only blame him for one death? Also one body.

Also there is a manga page with Yurie and a bloody knife.

It's a serious character drama set in the 30s-50s about a guy that learns rakugo and has to deal with changing circumstances in war/postwar Japan. People call it homo because it's by a BL author and has a fair amount of yaoi character tropes in it, but it's so well written that that doesn't even matter.

His Shinigami performance is really good, but I feel like listening to a horror story rather than a comedy.
Isn't rakugo supposed to be funny?

It's usually funny but it doesn't have to be.

If anything the homo enhances it. A platonic bro relationship doesn't carry anywhere near the weight and impact as a romantic one, even if it's not canon or confirmed that sort of dynamic gives interactions more emotional intensity.

Rakugo was a mostly unexceptional production. Decent storyboarding and directing, but that's about it. Ishida carried most of the show with his voice.

A hipster alternative to real AOTY

Does Sup Forums just hate this because it has too many words and not enough action/comedy/SoL? All I see is people saying it's Fujoshit therefore it's bad without actually saying why it's bad.

Well in anime, the visuals should be the words. Dialogue is boring.

I don't think it's even actually fujoshit, it's a bit too slow and restrained for that. If you want to categorize it that way, it's more oscar-baity "mature anime for mature people such as myself, look at this serious period piece about adults" stuff, but it's so good that I can hardly complain about that.

>anime about Rokugo
>should be about visuals and not dialogue

So you just hated the idea from the get-go.

>Dialogue is boring.

Said every kid ever.

Calling Rakugo fujoshit because of its fabulous main characters is like calling Shirobako moeshit because it's about 5 girls' daily life, sure you can't deny it appeals to the crowd but you're also missing the point entirely.

>we
Is this falseflagging? bait?
I'm seriously confused here, Rakugo was plain mediocre, there was a thread during the last episodes were this was explained by the 'Josei expert' faggot.

What it is with people on Sup Forums who hate dialogue heavy shows?

What's with Sup Forums sudden fear of homos?
these posts are more cancerous than the yaoi bait itself.

>Is this falseflagging? bait?
>Josei expert
lol

Because "dialogue heavy anime" usually means "people in a room talking about nonsense", which is not the case for Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Rakugo performance also isn't dialogue.

Especially in a show that has nohomo on a board that has constant YoI threads.

Most anime are not dialogue heavy and rely on shiny visuals.

What about anime with both?

>cast is mostly male
It's fujoshit and disqualified from Sup Forums's AOTY. We watch anime for men here, like K-ON.

Re: Zero ironically
Mob 100 unironically

My point is that most anime are for people that have shorter attention span and have to be stimulated every now and then.
Rakugo is boring to those people because they get bored before getting the good parts.

Legit question, I haven't watched or looked into Re: Zero, why do people hate it so much?

Because it's popular. The usual.

Rakugo deserves not only AOTY but most comfy anime of the year.

Rakugo is not an anime.

AN EXPERIMENTATION IN THE CINEMATIC COMMUNICATION
Of visual phenomena
WITHOUT THE USE OF INTERTITLES
(a film without intertitles)
WITHOUT THE HELP OF A SCENARIO
(a film without a scenario)
WITHOUT THE HELP OF THEATRE
(a film without actors, without sets, etc.)

>most comfy anime of the year
That's not Flying Witch or Shounen Maid.

It's about a performance art based on monologues.

Re:Zero is a bog standard harem-ish isekai with decent execution and a handful of deconstructive aspirations. It's also wildly popular.

So yeah above average but hardly stellar show gets praised to high heavens everywhere, what do you think will happen.

Oh boy, I can't wit for Rakugo to get the same treatment as Ping Pong the Animation again.

At least it's not KABANERI OF THE IRON FORTRESS like on Crunchyrolls AoTY. How is it an option at all?

It's right up there behind Re:Zero and Hibike for me. Re:Zero not only brilliantly blends moe slice of life with action, drama and edgy shit but also keeps it up with very little too no down time over 25 episodes. The only reason I call it excellent or great 9/10 instead of a 10/10 masterpiece is because the last episode could have been better. Rem who? Ending for example. I cannot look past Re:Zero for anime of the year no matter how much whinging you faggots do about the main character or reddit. That's my opinion. H8, r8, go fuck yourselves.

Vertov was great but he's hardly the be-all and end-all of film. There are far greater filmmakers than he, perhaps even a few in animation.

>this is objectively AOTY.
Hahahahaha, thanks for the laugh OP

Pic related is real AOTY

It was my aoty until the guy cucks himself with the onee san.

Seriously, man?

Yeah, why?

I mean why would you offer to take care of someone's child when it is clearly not yours?

I mean I can understand if the kid's already 5 years old and you somehow get really attached to him, but it's still a fetus. What if the kid turns out to be super annoying.

I've just read ch. 1 of the manga. I enjoyed it. Should I keep reading or should I just watch the show instead?

Just started this because Sup Forums wouldn't shut up about it and you guys didn't steer me wrong on Luluco. Ep 1 of Rakugo didn't do much for me though, so if it doesn't pick up by 3 you guys are back in the doghouse and I'm never watching Flip Flappers.

Haven't read the manga, but Anime had some great voice acting, and the animation during the Rakugo scenes was surprisingly nice, so i would say worth of watching even if you read the manga.

I don't think it matters either way, they're pretty different and both are worthwhile. Since you've already started it, just continue on with the manga and watch the anime afterwards.

>the animation during the Rakugo scenes was surprisingly nice
One of the anime's biggest flaws is that it doesn't have any good animation to speak of. It's just functional, never anything more. Same for the character art.

Picked this up on a whim. Already blown away by the sakuga. Glad I stopped in the middle of marathoning the first episode of FlipFlappers for this.

They're both very different. Rakugo also was longer in length and had more substance, Fune wo Amu was a slice of life with realism. I adore both of those for different reasons.

Background art.
Music.
Emotional depth.

>fujoshit
Gaylord

>AOTY
Drifters, pls.

But its not.

Intrigued.

It was boring.

This is objectively the AOTY for all years.

Everything is accurate except 2016.