Show has no story and is basically SOL

>Show has no story and is basically SOL
>Fun and entertaining the whole way through with just enough closure in the last episode that leaves you wanted more but not feeling unsatisfied
>Shows that have plot
>might be good at the start but 99% of the time they shit the bed in the last half of the show and they run out of time/budget to make a satisfying conclusion and make a rushed ending or leave lots of hanging plot holes for people to read about in the mango/LN which are usually never bought outside of Japan

Why does this keep happening? This really wasn't as bad maybe a decade ago but now you're better off sticking to plotless moe because at the very list those shows won't disappoint you in some way

umaru a SHIT

No, she's a cute

bump

*braps*

>Thread dead because Umaru in the OP

Why does Sup Forums hate Umaru so much?

Exactly. Moe SoL shows are constantly my highest rated, yet that isn't my favorite genre at all.

Episodic SoL/comfy anime whatever you call it have been well received most of the time, and it's because as you say they don't have a plot that can ruin the entire thing. At worst it can have a few shite episodes but it just makes the good ones that much better and well remembered and many people can appreciate the series.

Shows that have a plot to speak of are more hit and miss and I don't think there's much discussion to be had about it desu.

But why has this become much more of a thing in the last decade or so? Is it just the industry being able to greenlight so many series each season and the current talent pool of writers and animators just not being as good as older shows?

I tried watching the show because people talked about it a lot.
I was so unimpressed that I can't even remember why I dropped it or criticize it.
Must have been pretty bland and forgettable.

Trends in anime come and go. We're in the middle of an Isekai trend and just coming off the "School Battle Harem" trend. The SoL cute girl trend has actually died down a lot from what it was back in the late 00s and early 10s. It's currently more of a safe fallback because unless it really gets overshadowed or the studio somehow screws it up it's usually a safe investment for a reasonable amount of profit.

I think as a lot of Japan's anime viewers age that we're seeing more iyashikei percolate into the mainstream. This covers a lot of moe SoL as well as more meditative/melancholy offerings.
The market is still aimed more for kids/teens/otaku because that's where the money is, but there seem to be more iyashikei offerings.

How/when did the Isekai trend start? did it come into the spotlight when Mushoku Tensei blew up? I can't even remember, you may have a better insight than I do.

there's always been isekai, but it seems like things reached critical mass around the time of SAO.
I think it was fueled by the growth of web novels where suddenly studios could freely find new content that had already shown a certain level of popularity, buy the rights for cheap from non-professional authors, and have a better return on their investments.

fpbp that show is retarded garbage

/thread

Consider yourself reminded

BUMPU

non non biyori did it right with Hotaru.

umaru is shit and should've just been an elementary school kid

It becoming popular evolved out of Sao's popularity. Sao briefly popularized "Trapped in a fantasy game" style stories which acted as a gateway for full other world Isekai full of video game mechanic systems ripped from Dragon Quest.

Leave Umaru to me