Kimi no Na Wa/Your Name

Did this movie establish once and for all that Shinkai is the new Miyazaki?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGJ9rxsrLIW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Shinkai is the new Miyazaki
Fucking hate this meme.

who

I watched it. It was okay, generic omg so deep and cute anime movie idiot westerners actually like. So yeah, he's the new Miyazaki.

>shinkai is the new old bastard who whines at everything

>Miyazaki is the old Shinkai

Why did this movie give me so many feels when it wasn't even that good?
I think it has to do with the fact that Mistuha a cute

He's definitely the new go to meme animator now.

Are you being tsundere or does the majority of Sup Forums really not enjoy Shinkai?

That's not whichever animators Kyoani employs

There will never be a new Satoshi Kon ;_;

Don't lose hope, maybe a new genius will come along.

Did anyone on Sup Forums actually SEE this movie?

It's really just an average romance.

The ending is really week, too. But that's common in Jap romances generally.

Many people say that Shinkai a good director, but he's not good at piecing together a decent thematic narrative (falls apart towards the end), and he tries to go beyond his abilities. Should just stick to standard teen love.

Beautiful art, but it lacks the charm to compare him to Miyazaki, especially with the generic looking characters.

Your Name is only, like, the third film he's done that has actually received critical acclaim. Leave the dude some time, he's really young too. It's unfair to compare him to Miyazaki.

Name a better film that came out in 2016.

Arrival. If you mean animated then Zootopia. I mean both the films I mentioned are bad, but they're still more watchable than Meme no na Wa. is spot on.

>Zootopia.
>Literal anticapitalist procriminal proganda movie aimed at kids.
>Good.

Naw.

>confirmed for not watching Zootopia

???

Not that user but it was easily the top 3 best animated movies this year with the secret life of pets.

>Zootopia
Is this bait?

Kimi no Na Wa? More like Kimi no Wallpapers.

Did you not like it? Or did you just never watch it?

>no more comfy kimi no na wa threads with 500+ replies
Did the hype die suddenly?

I presume the people who cared finally watched it, and realized it was nothing imrpessive.

Honestly Sup Forums killed it by hyping it to be the greatest romance ever made, when in reality it was just sort of average. Actually, if anything, it was a bit too melodramatic.

I just watched it this evening (in a cinema, not that shitty rip) and was pleasantly surprised since I had low expectations from the start.
The story is nothing impressive, the visuals were great though

>he's really young too.

He's 43. Miyazaki may be old as fuck compared to Shinkai, but 43 seems like an age when you should have your shit together.

Why do I force myself to watch movies like this one, knowing that I'll feel like shit afterwards because of the teenage love meme?

How ascended do you have to be to stop caring?

I thought hosoda was the new miyazaki

Deadpool
Doctor Strange
Rogue One
Civil War
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
Shin Godzilla

>Deadpool
>Rogue One
please fuck off

I hate Kimi no Wa threads, it attracts the worst kind of normalfags on Sup Forums

Case in point: and

Not even close, that would be shounen threads and One piece in particular

Kimi no nawa has within it a formula that made it so appealing, that's the only thing interesting about it.

Story and animation are mediocre as fuck.

No but it's his best film yet even if it's really just a culmination of all of the best parts of his previous films with a more normie friendly presentation
pretty amazing it blew up like it did

Where did the compfy Kimi No Na Wa threads go? and any Baguettes here tell me if it has good results in Baguette land?

>Where did the compfy Kimi No Na Wa threads go?
Shitposter backlash couldn't let people just enjoy things without accusation of circlejerking.

>I presume the people who cared finally watched it, and realized it was nothing impressive.
On the contrary, the people who only watched it because of Sup Forums hype were the ones who didn't care.

You also have to consider the regional factor, the ones who were hyping it were mostly the early bird Bongs and Aussies crowd (who are weeb enough to like anything Japanese) and Southeast Asians (who are much less aggressive in their shitposting) while and the new batch of detractors are either Bongs (horrendous shitposters) who saw it late since it's out of theaters in SEA or Murrikans who downloaded a shitty camrip expecting the second coming of Jesus Yamato.

>formula

you mean fan-service

no, it's a solid love story formula that audiences can relate to

Did the movie end up beating spirited away in the end?

>It's unfair to compare him to Miyazaki.
Tell that to the marketing/media people who keeps pushing that angle.

Pretty much. It's not a bad movie, but it sure isn't the OMG 10/10 masterpiece that most people keep making it out to be.

Actually, it's the other way round. Make any attempt to criticise it or point out that it isn't 10/10 kino and you get called a contrarian who hates it only because it's popular. It's like the opposite of that autist(s) in IBO threads where if you don't call it the worst thing ever, you're an ANN/animesuki shitter.

No why would it?

retard

> get a random girl
> get a random guy
> make them fall in love
> add flashy colors
> $$$

It apparently was very close to beating spirited away in gross profit so was wondering if it had happened.

Because there's nothing new to discuss besides reviewing the film elements.
Keep it up user, maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to get a translator interest in this film. There're plenty untranslated stuff out there to discuss.

Maybe, after Korean and US release.

It will probably surpass it worldwide if you don't adjust for inflation

I'm still disappointed that there are some scenes animated at 10 fps.

Fuck Shinkai couldn't you spare a little bit more money to properly animate those few seconds?

That zoom-out mountain before katawaredoki, right?
Ando wanted to work on this film more but their budget ran dried already, so I guess this is all they could managed to do with their budget.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 12 weeks, 11 weekends
>Has surpassed Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle as #2 Anime Film of All Time in Japan
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$288 million).
>Nominated for an Oscar
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>Has become the no. 1 highest-grossing Japanese movie in China
>Has become the no. 1 movie in Thailand
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million)

So this is meme magic. Not bad.

Already a thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

Reminder that Makoto Shinkai thinks Keit-Ai is a mistake.

japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGJ9rxsrLIW

>within mere months, Kimi no Na wa (288 million USD) is on the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (289.1 million USD), making it the highest grossing anime film and Japanese film of all time

Really tickles my synapses.

inb4 the first keitai ban of 2017

>Nominated for an Oscar
how about no
also, copypasta

>your AMVs, webcomic, and fanfic make Keit-ai into a thing

Every time.

no because his movies are slice and life shit

he should make more tame fantasy movies like this one

>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$288 million).
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million)
has it done it yet? it's been like this for weeks now

According to box office mojo, it's $250 million instead of $288 million because they're using the current exchange rate (against a stronger dollar) instead of using the exchange rate at the time the box office returns were gotten just a few months or even weeks ago.

The movie was decent, certainly not the most interesting or deep romance anime movie I've ever seen. Honestly most of the past Shinkai movies I've seen were too melodramatic and patronizing for my tastes (5 centimeters, garden of words, early days). Your name was actually a pretty good improvement over his previous works.

I've been more hyped to see koe no katachi as it actually seems like a more complex and mature romance movie.