FMA:B

Seriously, why is this so overrated? I'm not saying it's bad, but i'd give it a 7/10 at best.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2uq34TeWEdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fdjZtaDepfA
youtube.com/watch?v=93Quk-m_tvc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>7/10 at best
Why? There are no real flaws and its a big improvement over the original

I think people rate it so high, because it's one of the few shounen that even adults can genuinely enjoy, because it's not completely retarded. Also it wasn't that predictable and everything felt like it came out of one person's mind at once and not like some popularity polls or editors messed with it.

>There are no real flaws
not op but that is not a reason for giving an anime 10/10 score ! FMA;B wasn't that entertaining or deep

>big improvement over the original

>inferior OST
>inferior villains
>inferior plot
>inferior character arcs
>inferior themes
>even inferiors OPs and EDs

7/10 sounds right. It does nothing outstanding. Even Naruto gets impressive direction and action at times, like with Lee vs Gaara and some of the recent episodes. Almost all of Dragon Ball's villains are superior. Every prominent shonen does something impressive with the exception of FMA Brotherhood.

What's a 10/10 to you?

It was very bland.
Ed getting angry about his height got old very quickly.
I just didn't enjoy it much.

People throw around this term to shitpost a lot but this really is "babbys first anime" that's why it gets rated so high.

It's ok but nowhere near how high it's rated

This story has an interesting premise, but the execution is so boring. And the ending is absolute shit.

I really have no idea why this is regarded as a great classic. I feel like it's above average at best.

All shounenshits are overrated. Rurouni Kenshin should have been the last one

I haven't seen 2003 in a long time, but I remember being annoyed that Ed spent most of the series not in the know about the Homunculi, most of the side characters not feeling very important, and Envy getting away with literally everything.

On the other hand, Brotherhood had a pretty boring main villain, no one really even died over the course of the whole thing, and it felt like it played the shonen card a bit too straightforward especially in the final battle.

Not that I dislike FMA, mind you.

as an entertaining anime i would say
>gurren lagann
>gintama
>ippo
>jojo
> may be code geass

as a deep
>NHK
>eva

FMA:B is the Shakespeare in Love of anime

Debate me, you can't.

Even disregarding the differences between 2003 and Brotherhood, both have

>Interesting setting and themes
>Memorable cast of characters that are developed through the series
>Engaging plot
>Memorable scenes
>Good, even great for chinese cartoons, production values
>Satisfying action
>It doesn't drag on forever

Even if you think it's overrated and your standards for entertainment are much higher than this, you have to admit that FMA is in the top percentile of anime, where most of it is either bait for otaku or fujoshi, glorified toy ads or LN ads that never get finished

>It doesn't drag on forever
Also gives every character an ending.

Bleach had to rely on a light novel to clear up some missing characters while we didn't get to see other characters until Naruto Gaiden.

This.

FMA:B never goes in the territory that creeps normals out. I don't mean the "normie" by /r9k/ standards, but im refering to just an average guy with common sense.

It's characters and settings are interesting enough and it seems like an outsider to the inherent flaws of anything produced by the anime industry: Fanservice, cookie cutter characters, taking seriously the opinions of sweaty otakus to sell more, etc. None of these seem to be a problem for FMA:B. It kept it's integrity and was faithful to what the author truly wanted to do with it.

While not mindblowing, it excels where 99% of anime fail.

Not having major flaws should be nowhere close to enough to earn a 10/10. You can so much better than "good enough" everything. If it's just that, then 7/10 sounds reasonable. 10/10 should be reserved for anime that really excel.
Mayby FMAB has something that makes ot excel to you, and you think it deserves higher, but then say what you think is good about it, "not being a trainwreck" doesn't come close to being a proper defense.

>inferior plot

This is just wrong.

>code geass

It's a meme series that's inferior to the 2003 version in every way.

>he doesn't think code geass is a masterpiece of entertaining

No, it's a trainwreck.

a trainwreck every body enjoyed !even you

R1 is, but R2 is legitimately awful

I would say the reason you rate it 7/10 is that your opinion is bad

they're going to fix it in R3

This.

>And the ending is absolute shit.
No u.

Op 4>Op 2>Op5>Op 1>Op 3

End 4>End 5>End 2>End 1/3

Its a typical shonen ending. Not bad.

>he preferred the grimdark 03 ending
Sad

What did he mean by this

03 just followed the theme "equivalent exchange" rather then "and they lived happily ever after"

I liked Brotherhoods ending man

But everyone lived happily in 03 except Ed.

2003 > 2009

Mathematically incorrect.

>03 just followed the theme "equivalent exchange"
Did you pay attention? It's obvious to Ed by the end that exchange is a lie. Dante teases him with it to which he tells her to shut the fuck up because it doesn't matter since people need principles to believe in.

Throughout the series Ed was drifting into edgelord territory. With the help of his idealistic young brother and by finding what he needs to protect, he redefined his views into something more abstract. Instead of believing in laws of crude matter, he starts believing into abstract moral principles, which he likes to frame as equivalent exchange - do good because one day, even after death, it'll all be repaid.

It's also interesting how he mourns Tucker and his obsession with Nina in the end. In that one episode he gives a very powerful speech which took me by surprise. It was so un-anime, like something you'd read in a western cathecism. With all the alusions to Christianity and the way Edward's character grew, it's not even that much of a stretch - FMA (2003) is basically a Christian anime.
There's a lot which could be analyzed here. Brotherhood, in comparison, had very little depth.

>Brotherhood, in comparison, had very little depth

Brotherhood has Chinese waifus

>Brotherhood has Chinese waifus
But they were annoying and ruined almost every scene they were in.

>grimdark
>literally a HOPEFUL ending
Did we watch the same shit?

Mei is best girl tho.

Uh... Um, Winry is.

That's not how you spell Riza

Without everything building up to the Nationwide Transmutation Circle and the Promised Day, the whole thing falls apart. Arakawa clearly knew where she was going from the very beginning, and 2003 ends up just looking like a complete mess because it throws it all out and makes shit up, taking what was an extremely tight and coherent story and turning it into a bunch of stupid bullshit

Riza>Lan>Winry>Rebecca>Mei.

I can't get over the fuck awful directing. I own all the manga volumes and FMAB just comes off as crap.

and Ed was the one who performed human transmutation

Well it's one the few shounen manga adaptations that is complete and didn't shit the bed in one way or another

FMA just has a really weird execution to me though. You have this really tragic backstory for most of the main characters and a pretty dark , depressing opening but then after Hughes dies is it just becomes a really straightforward and generic shounen.

I know?

Between ep 50/60 is when it gets less lighthearted than 21-40

FMA manga and Brotherhood are one of few manga and anime I've seen that presented a theme, explored, and ended on it. Very few series left me satisfied as FMA

just re-read FMA again and I realized how flat a lot of the characters were without their 2003 scenes.

this
2003 is underrated as heck,2003 greed alone is superior than every villain in the original

>>inferior OST
Brothers repeated 100 times doesn't qualify as ost
>>inferior villains
>>inferior plot
pic related

the kid was shit,but ling yao crew and his crew were all cool ,when i read the manga i got sad they didnt get included in the 2003 version

also i think the manga storyline is great until the final arc,where everything goes to shit so bad it hurts

pic related is one of the many examples of how great that manga was before the final arc,for me fma is like this

>manga before final arc>2003>brotherhood>powergap>manga/brotherhood final arc>movies

Objectively fucking wrong.

"Dancing" alone is better than the whole OST of Brotherhood.

>he puts Code Geass above FMA:B

I would love to hear what anime you consider 10/10 or not overrated

Nausicaa movie,paprika

>Nausicaa movie
Oh gimme a break. If you said the manga I would understand, but the movie? Even Miyazaki said he changed the ending and regretted it later

I want to watch fma series but is the 2003 and this version really that different or just contain few difference? Should I watch 2003 before this?

>2003 Greed
>A dead cuck
>Better than anyone

The manga is a 10/10,but the movie is also god tier for what its supposed to be

You should read the manga, it has better art than both

If you want, you can watch 2003. It's strictly inferior though, so if you watch Brotherhood first, you probably won't even bother finishing 03 with its retarded ending

Read the manga until the final arc,then make a fanfiction ending because even that will be better

Oh, come on man', let's be reasonable - the last 20 or so eps the plot went full retard with the promised day shit:It was a miasma of boring over-the-top fightscenes mixed with cringe-indusing chibi humour ;brain-dead abortion of a villain; fucking zombies and a boss battle that got resolved with a complete asspull.
"Let's punch God with the power of friendship"
Atleast Dante chalanged Ed intellectually, they didn't go fucking DBZ on eachother.
>Dante "Life sucks, so deal with it bitch"
>Edward: "You maybe right, but that's not going to change my moral code"
There - fucking charatcter development.
And don't even start me on fucking Truth , that turned out to me some lame little douchebag prankster that threw the series' theme under a fucking bus.

Agreed. The only real positive I have for this anime is that the animation is smooth and its somewhat subversive for a shonen (although its to its detriment). Action scene choreography is pretty bland; it's either Ed just randomly slicing in front of him, Scar trying to touch some one, or Mustang snapping his fingers. I never felt any emotional depth; everything is so forced dramatically. Hughes dying had absolutely zero effect on me. Ed and Alphonse being these famous alchemists felt pretty dissonant because they never did anything worthy of their fame. There's plenty of other problems I can't remember off the top of my head but yeah, it's completely overrated.

Agree on everything,the chibi jokes were okay for most of the manga though,but in brotherhood it just felt weird and awkward

The Intrepid is better.

what was the point of the immortal legion of zombies? They were pretty hyped up but only seved so Envy could turn back to normal, or a I missing something?

2003 failed to live up to it's own potential, while Bro-hood is just....inoffensive .
Out of the two i remember more of the 2003 series then Brotherhood.Brotherhood is fun to watch, but completelly forgetfull

As a stand alone series it blazes past the parts that were accurately covered by the original which has some shitty side effects, like making people not give a shit about Hughs.

>mustang snapping his fingers
Uh yeah? I bet you liked the 03 Bradley "fight"

>Muh deep and intellectually challenging plot
I don't really care that it got pretty generic towards the end, I only care about things making sense

Why the fuck were the homunculi even working together in 03 if they weren't all created from the same person? Why would they be named after the seven deadly sins if they were all created entirely independently and the number of them was completely arbitrary? Why the fuck would they go through all the trouble of controlling the military from the highest tiers if they no longer have a plot to fashion the Nationwide Transmutation Circle? Why would Hohenheim ditch his family for no reason, instead of because he had to travel the country setting up the reverse circle?

The entire series was planned out from the very beginning. When you try to change shit, it just stops making sense.

Shut

youtube.com/watch?v=2uq34TeWEdQ

Your

youtube.com/watch?v=fdjZtaDepfA

Mouth

youtube.com/watch?v=93Quk-m_tvc

It's really fucking boring and bland. Code Geass, for example, is infinitely more entertaining and cathartic in its execution despite being more flawed overall.

This is coming from someone that likes the setting and general ideas behind FMA. Best way to describe FMA:B is "consistently above average".

Not that guy, and I generally liked the Brotherhood OPs, but Ready Steady Go is still the best

They weren't really hyped up
They were a freaky looking secret army that brought Central soldiers to their senses so they could fall in line under the Armstrongs and become men who used their brains, not pawns

RSG just always sounded so milquetoast and generic, too much like a Naruto opening rather than something with a unique character.

I never understood why it was so popular other than it playing for the majority of the Adult Swim run.

Its shit man. The only good 03 ones are Rewrite and the that goes TOOKI TOOKI.

IIRC Ed is famous for being the youngest state alchemist ever and not for his accomplishments as an alchemist.

Pacing of brotherhood was much better than 2003.

But the characters and story in 2003 is superior. Better explanation for alchemy, better explanation for the homunculi. Save for the BH greed, each homunculus in 2003 was superior to BH (yes, including 2003 Wrath).

BH Wrath was better

What I meant was that BH Wrath was better off as pride, and 2003 Wrath was better than BH pride.

Also, 2003 Sloth > BH Sloth.

>Better explanation for alchemy
>Uses energy from the deaths of people in DA REAL WORLD, they had been using alchemy so much that more people were dying, and that's the real reason behind WW1
Kill yourself

I am torn between watching this or GitS first. Which one Sup Forums?

FMA was better than code geass as a story and everything . but code geass was way more entertaing

Better than "MUH PLATE TECTONICS" you utter jigaboo

Fuck you

>the year of our emperor of britannia 2017
>people still believe Code Geass not having a simple and straightforward plot makes it bad
ISHYGDDT

I will always give the manga points for keeping the plot on a tight leash until the end. In an industry where serializations drag on forever, FMA is like AssClas in setting up a story and ending it properly.