Read genuinely good manga

>read genuinely good manga
>realize how dull was everything you read before

>read a good manga
>on hiatus

It's when you figure out that 90% of manga/anime is a waste of your time, and that you like good stories, and nothing endemic to the tropes of popular manga.

>everything you read after is dull
Cursed

>you like good stories
Every time I hear this statement I want to laugh. It doesn't even fucking mean anything, you're just patting yourself on the back for your own taste.

t.haremfag

always wanted to read this. might as well start now before school starts up again

>t.
Go back to Sup Forums, cancer.
>haremfag
No, but a haremfag could just as easily say they "like good stories," because it's a contentless statement.

That's just the way human mind works.
good stories:
everything I like

bad stories:
everything else

Do it.
I've been putting it to the darkest corners of my backlog cause samuraishit bores me to tears but when I actually read it I loved it.

>author goes on hiatus/translation stops/gets bored of it/gets axed

How about this.

"Nothing about what you like is typified or exclusive to manga. and you've realize that it's more about the quality of the story being told"

>new chapter comes out
>too disinterested in the series at this point to read it

While it's on hiatus for the next 10 years, you can also read Blade of the Immortal, its INCREDIBLY SLIGHTLY worse and more action oriented cousin.

You're still pretending that quality is necessarily distinct from what is typical to manga. Someone who likes those cliches could easily say "but those are good features of a story!"

Or he can just read the actual book

>quality is necessarily distinct from what is typical
I mean, I hate to be all /lit/ but that statement isn't untrue, it just applies to all mediums.

I love Chronicles of Thomas Covenant because it's good, not because I like fantasy. Get it? Just like how I like Vagabond because it's a good story, not because I like manga.

Differences tho.

Also, the book is pretty goddamn dry.

I dont think its dry, and I like how it handled the characters a little better. There's more depth and nuance to it, especially Otsu.

I haven't read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, but are you saying that someone who prioritized fantasy over other genres would be liking things for reasons other than being good? Because if so, I just think you're just wrong - they happen to think that fantasy elements on average make things better, that's all. No one's saying that they like every single fantasy series or manga just because they like fantasy/manga elements in general, but you think things are good for reasons, and those reasons are connected to what's in it. Saying "I like it because it's good" is like saying "I like this food because it's tasty" - it's a generic statement that anyone could say is true of anything they like. You can't divorce "it's good" from the things underlying that.

You're overthinking it. It's like when someone says they like a song, but since they aren't super immersed in the craft of music they have a hard time explaining themselves.

A layman might be able to tell a good song from a bad one, and same with stories, but its only on the emotional level. Someone who knows the craft will be able to give you more refined answers on why a thing can be good or bad.

I think manga/anime is judged by how good it is quality-wise and how fun/comfy/wild it is, and people always misconstrue the two. Like, Code Geass isn't well-written but it's a fun ride and that's why people like it, but some people don't like it and say others shouldn't because it wasn't amazingly written.

I don't think he's overthinking. i think you just don't want to admit that he's right.
You liking a series doesn't make it good which is what you don't understand. Saying that you like a series because it's good, and nothing else, is literally the same thing as saying that you like it because you like it.

You're arguing that there isn't a single objective measurement of quality in regards to written and drawn storytelling.

I swear this is one of my favorite moments in any medium ever.

Did Inoue put the manga on indefinite hiatus or something though?

I'm not the user he's arguing with, just a passerby.

You're right though that someone liking a thing doesn't make it good, but again this all wraps around to how much a person knows about XYZ and being able to determine quality with greater accuracy.

I think you might be genuinely autistic, my man.

I think vagabond is one of the worst manga I ever tried

give Kingdom a try. its also about sword fighting. the beginning is a bit immature but later on it gets pretty decent

No, I'm arguing that it's useless to say that something is good if you don't also mention why that something is good.

He went on hiatus to make more chapters of Real and then after releasing those just stayed on hiatus for both. I don't know what he's doing now but his website and twitter are still active.

> a really good manga is just starting
>you get an immensely excited when new chapters come out

>I think vagabond is one of the worst manga I ever tried
> give Kingdom a try
Now this is shit taste.

>A layman might be able to tell a good song from a bad one, and same with stories, but its only on the emotional level.
I don't see how that matters. Explaining why they're saying pointless redundancies doesn't change the fact that they're saying pointless redundancies.

>Vagabond is terrible
>but some shounen-esque retelling of a story already retold 1000 times but with CURAZY BATTLES is good

>inb4 seinen magazine
It's written like jump trash.

>I don't see how that matters. Explaining why they're saying pointless redundancies doesn't change the fact that they're saying pointless redundancies.

That wasn't the point, the idea is you don't have to take it so seriously if they don't back themselves up.

>a story already retold 1000 times
Vagabond >>> Kingdom, but it's not like Musashi is a new topic.

Taking random comments/opinions too seriously is one of the cornerstones of Sup Forums, though.

vagabond is boring shit and at times drawn so ugly you have a hard time telling what is going on. none of the characters are likeable. the protag in particular is a fucking retard. the world is boring, the story retarded

maybe I dropped it just before it was about to get good but the beginning was absolutely terrible

say about kingdom what you want. there are many likeable characters, the world is not boring, the art is good and reading it is actually enjoyable

I dont get what people see in vagabond. in my eyes its overrated shit. maybe I should make a manga version of pic related and put blame and vagabond on it

>vagabond is boring shit and at times drawn so ugly you have a hard time telling what is going on. none of the characters are likeable. the protag in particular is a fucking retard. the world is boring, the story retarded
you are insane

Difference between a car with 80k and a W124 taxi in Africa m8

>the art is good
I am laffin.

see. all you do is trying to insult me instead of actually explaining why you think I am wrong

>I dont like the style therefore the art must be bad

I am semi busy right now but if you insist I will later pick a random page from kingdom and a random page from vagabond and lets see how they compare. gimme an hour or two

>at times drawn so ugly
>the art is good
You're blind friendo. Inoue is easily top 10 in his industry.

>at times drawn so ugly you have a hard time telling what is going on
>say about kingdom what you want. the art is good

>I will later pick a random page from kingdom and a random page from vagabond
So?

I could pick a random page from Blade of the Immortal and a page from Naruto and give you decent odds of the Naruto page being less of a scribble mess than the Samura one.

Doesn't mean that Kishimoto even comes close to touching Samura as an artist.

Early Naruto's art is pretty legit though, he got worse over time

do you even realize how retarded your argument sounds?

>he's a better artist
>so it does not matter that in average his art looks like unrecognizable shit
>after all he's still better if he really tries :^)

Sure m8.

Keep believing that the guy that hasn't figured out how to draw horses and struggles to portray any emotion other than anger is better than what many consider to be the best artists in manga.

Funnily enough, Kishimoto was still cutting Samura's pages out of afternoon and using them for inspiration during that time. He's a huge fanboy.

>gimme an hour or two to pick two random pages
Are you retarded? It takes literally three minutes, I just did it for you. I used an RNG to determine chapter count between 200-350 (to rule out the early art for both of them, since Inoue stopped doing weekly and Hara changed his style after getting advice from Inoue) and page count between 5-20 (to avoid title pages).

Here are page 18 of chapter 320 of Vagabond and Kingdom.

It's not like picking early art from Vagabond will make a difference either

I think this is the first time that someone has argued that Yasuhisa Hara is an amazing artist. His art as always struck me as consistent, decently expressive and totally serviceable. It certainly has a style, but it's not industry leading.

The moment he had to switch from his stylized hand-drawn art to digital was a real shame.

>kid with no proper training keeps defeating elite assassins by yelling
>dropped
It's obvious by first few chapters that Kingdom is badly written.

>retelling of a story already retold 1000 times
It's actually fine to dislike Vagabond for this reason. You're not interested in the story itself.

>the art is so bad that I can't tell what's going on! but I can't provide any examples though
>the characters are bad! I can't say what's bad about any of them though
>the MC is dumb! I can't say what about him is dumb though
Leave this shit out of your posts next time.

Top page is screaming "shounenshit".
I hate this kind of paneling.

If you think that Musashi has been retold nearly as much as Romance of the Three Kingdoms, you're even dumber than I gave you credit for.

I just kind of feel sorry for you. Can't really imagine how someone gets fucked up to the point where they think Kingdom is a masterpiece and Vagabond is trash.

The only honest complaint I had when reading Vagabond is that the pacing is pretty slow and some chapters felt mostly full of nothing important.

It's like halfway there. It runs in Weekly Young Jump. Which aside from 2-4 gems, is pretty much Weekly Shonen Jump with tits and more gore.

Kingdom isn't RoTK.

Also even if it was it doesn't dismiss my point, if a person happens tired of a type of story then it's reasonable for them to just not like it when another series does it again (even if it is good like Vagabond)

>I just kind of feel sorry for you. Can't really imagine how someone gets fucked up to the point where they think Kingdom is a masterpiece and Vagabond is trash.
Where did I even say anything about one being trash or one being a masterpiece?

You're misunderstanding each other. Neither of you is the anti-Vagabond guy.

good story:
deep

bad story:
superficial

>only deep stories can be good.

You're arguing with a retard.

i wish he would continue REAL instead of Vagabond honestly

>Re-read Berserk
>Realize after many years that despite all the ultra-violence, Guts is a genuinely heroic guy who tried to act edgy for a couple years after a tragedy

There are good superficial stories. The once with a deeper meaning hidden.

Umineko and Higurashi really set the bar high for VNs and to a lesser extent manga.

Anime I watch to be comfy and entertained, but if I am reading something and I don't feel my neural almonds activating it feels like a waste of time.

>tfw too intelligent for manga

>Umineko and Higurashi really set the bar high for VNs and to a lesser extent manga.

Life is about experience and leaning what it is about. We are here to learn and to grow. It's just natural to want more demanding and interesting input. Because we want to grow, and not be stuck on the same level.

Is there a goal, an end of this? Yes there is. It is when you are finally reached the point of being worthy to enter the kingdom of heaven.

The thing is, growth comes also from pain, and from giving up things, we have a hard time to give up on, even if it's the right thing to do.

>read Berserk
>my standards have risen so exponentially that I can barely read anything else and am starting to become incredibly bored

Fuck off to /r9k/.

Berserk's not even that great, honestly.

I would legitimately love recommendations for VNs that are better. I hope to be proven wrong.

>Berserk's not even that great, honestly.

You need to fuck off to a grave.

It doesn't have to be that great it just needs to be better than most shit.

Black Swordsman is who-cares tier, Golden Age is great (except Wyald); Conviction is also very good but I'm honestly not a big fan of Farnese's whole introduction/subplot there; and then Millennium Falcon and Fantasia have both been just okay on the whole with a lot of meandering plot-wise that's not bad but doesn't really engage me to the degree that Golden Age did. It's not a bad manga by any means, but the idea of it raising anyone's standards exponentially is laughable.

>Implying the plot is the only thing that raised my standards

There isn't. Just aspects found in storytelling that evoke positive reaction often enough that we take them as being a given. Everyone on the planet agreeing that something is of high quality isn't equivalent to objectivity. Someone can believe that something is bad while still "liking" it, but that's not objectivity either in any meaningful sense.

If you can't bring yourself to read anything that doesn't have great art, then that's just your own autism, nigger. Not like there aren't plenty of great artists in both realistic and stylized approaches, anyway.

Those are not superficial then. Also, a deep story can be shit, too. The way you tell a story matters a lot and is at least equally important as the way the story itself is woven.

I also agree that most anime is at best mediocre, but that's because anime isn't as big in Japan as westerners like to think. In fact it is rather niche, sort of like actual nerd culture is over here. And on top of that most of it is glorified advertisement for Manga, LN, and video games, because that is where the money currently lies.

okay so you consider what you posted to be good art?

unrecognizable background, badlly drawn body, what the fuck is up with that nose, not even the fucking eyebrow layering was done right

no you are retarded because clearly you were too unintelligent to understand the part about me being semi busy

>chapter count between 200-350
>when vagabond only has 327 chapters
also that page looks cherrypicked as fuck. I actually looked at both chapters and you (((coincidentally))) picked one of the better pages for vagabond while you picked one of the worst for kingdom

in general inoue draws more realistically which is maybe why you think his art is better. and when he actually puts effort into his art that effort is wasted on nothingness. see . one panel with good art and absolutely nothing of importance is displayed. if I wanted nature shots I'd watch a nature doc. heck, even deviantart has much better to offer, even in full color. then the panels with actual action are absolute shit

I'm not saying hara's art is great but it is much more consistent and most importantly you can always tell what is going on. the art supports the story, not the other way around

here, a page with actual action from the same chapter 320. woooow! this totally isnt shonenshit tier! *teleports behind you* nuffin personnelll!

>Golden Age is great
I'm tired of this meme.
I'm pretty sure it's fueled by animefags nostalgia.

I came to believe artists are even more autistic than mathematicians. You have to be to draw all this detail.

>good stories
>good book
>good art
>good characters
>good x
Every fucking time, I know how you feel.

an other quality panel from the same chapter 320 from vagabond

an extra large panel! such wonderful art! their faces convey so much emotion, truly stunning. much better than hara who as said can only convey anger

>>chapter count between 200-350
>>when vagabond only has 327 chapters
Yeah, I forgot about that, but it gave me a usable number so it doesn't matter.

>also that page looks cherrypicked as fuck. I actually looked at both chapters and you (((coincidentally))) picked one of the better pages for vagabond while you picked one of the worst for kingdom
Don't start this shit, there's literally no way for me to prove it and I could pull the same nonsense on whatever you use as well.

Please kill yourself.

>Don't start this shit, there's literally no way for me to prove it and I could pull the same nonsense on whatever you use as well.
finally something we can agree on

haha why dont you eat some worms while enjoying this high quality art

>read genuinely good book
>realize how a different medium like manga might still be good
I got you, didn't I?
Your favourite manga is still shit, I'm afraid.

>haha why dont you eat some worms
What sort of an insult is this?

Do you faggots really expect everyone to write an analysis every single time they have to give their judgement on something?
You might be more autistic then I predicted.

Drawing a picture with this much detail takes a few hours for most people, easily two for pros. That's not even a good example.
Actually, compare it to the time it took Michelangelo to finish the ceiling painting in St. Pete's.
You should watch a documentary about Michelangelo, he was pretty autistic.

No, I'm perfectly fine with him saying "I like what I like." Saying "I like good things," however, is saying that same thing while trying to dress it up as something else.

>love several good mangas
>they're by the same artist
>once he goes on hiatus they all go on hiatus

it hurts

Here's your (You)

Once you work out the basic composition of a piece doing details often isn't too bad. The impressive part is doing it on a weekly or biweekly basis. Assistants of course help.

Given the kind of work schedules I see mangaka talking about, I really doubt a spread like that only takes them two hours.

thank you

enjoy the quality art

its not meant to be an insult you doofus. we're just having a bit of fun

I fucking love this demon design. It has cliche elements, like the horns, but those fit well with the overall image. The random shit all over its body, the bumps that look like pockets full of puss about to burst, the eye sitting creepily asymmetrically on the forehead, the weird tongue, the pointy teeth; but most of all its clearly human Visage. This design had some real thought put into it.
I didn't notice anything that wasn't in the face or its immediate vicinity the first time I looked at this. Not sure if the artist is cleverly drawing attention to the human part or if it's because I'm high

samurafag is pretty annoying, but you might be retarded bro.

>unrecognizable background, badlly drawn body, what the fuck is up with that nose, not even the fucking eyebrow layering was done right
retard, don't criticise drawings when you yourself are an absolute novice. The background is clearly to contrast with the clothing, there's nothing wrong with the body and the nose and the eyebrow thing is a godamn stylistic choice that is pretty fuckin' widespread, it indicates that the bangs are rather light (not in color but in density) allowing darker tones (read: eyebrows) to be visible and allowing the expression to be more visible.

>and when he actually puts effort into his art that effort is wasted on nothingness. see . one panel with good art and absolutely nothing of importance is displayed. if I wanted nature shots I'd watch a nature doc. heck, even deviantart has much better to offer, even in full color. then the panels with actual action are absolute shit

you realize he probably didn't even fucking draw that background, right?

mangaka have assistants to do non-crucial heavy inking like that, and inoue or [your favourite artist] is no exception. it's really godamn obvious when a mangaka forgoes utilizing assistants because the art (while not necessarily worse) is often a lot simpler. for example, most of Nanatsu no Taizai is pretty obviously a 1-man-show, and in a lot of later HxH chapters it's obvious that togashi didn't want to use assistants for whatever reason.