Yuri on Ice

>Yuri on Ice
>sports anime

There are actually people who believe this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jt6gOGKfqOY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Nip
>Paler than a Russian

It's a drama that's a better sport's anime than most sports anime only because of the choreography and attention to technical detail

Is it worth watching or is it truly gay shit. I don't want to regret anything.

this t b h

>Attention to technical detail
>Scores make literally no sense

It's worth watching. The gay shit is mostly undertones until episode 7, but the focus is on the skating. Ice skating is fucking gay though.

Both.

Fujoshits need to die

It's gay shit. Whether it's worth watching is determined by your preferences.

>Stop liking thing I don't like
(You)

>OP
>actually having watched YOI

They dedicated almost too much time to the actual skating, they should've cut out more of the programs. Some episodes were literally 90% skating. If it lacks the focus on sport that other sports anime have, it's because Yuuri is already a technically proficient pro and doesn't need a training arc or much time dedicated to skill building. It's a character drama and a romance as well, true, but those subplots were always woven into the skating itself.

How is it not? It's about a competitive sport. The competition is actually the most important thing for the characters. Having homo or fanservice doesn't make it not a sports anime.

It is a sports anime. So much so that it hurts the anime. If we didn't spend 15 minutes an episode on routines, maybe we could have gotten better character development.

What, are you saying you don't love hamfisted internal monologues?

I actually thought the flashbacks were the best part of the skating scenes. I just would have prefered less of them.

End yourself, fag.

It's a good show but if you hate gay men you won't enjoy it.

They're just cartoons.

I wish they had more chunni fantasy sequences like with Georgi and China. That was fun.

Wonder how many of the hetposters cried themselves to sleep when they realised they were in love with Viktor.

The sports parts were really well done.
It had a massive amount of gay as well, but don't try and act as though there wasn't any ice skating

Official choreographer skating on the anime's programs:

youtube.com/watch?v=jt6gOGKfqOY

Except they do:

Yurio

successfully landed all jumps cleanly
3A 4S-3T(x) 4T(x)
step sequence and spins slowed down towards the end

Yuuri

landed all jumps, but 4S stepped-out+one hand down (-3 GOE)
3A(x) 4S(x) 4T-3T(x)
step sequence and spins carried very well throughout

(x)= landed in the second half = 10% added to base value (so a jump that’s 10.5 points would be worth 11.55 points)
3T= Triple Toe-loop
3A= Triple Axel
4T= Quadruple Toe-loop
4S= Quadruple Salchow
GOE = Grade Of Execution (-3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3 points)(added to jumps, spins, and step sequence)

Yurio’s strengths:

higher-quality jumps (so he would get bonus points for execution)

i.e. Yuuri’s step-out+hand-down 4S would earn 7.5 points instead of the base score of 10.5 - if we include the 10% bonus from being in the second half, he earned 8.55 out of the possible 11.55 points; in contrast, if Yurio jumped a clean&well-executed solo 4S in the second half, he would get some positive GOE points and it might be worth 13.55~14.55 points. That’s 5~6 points difference.

the harder combination jump

Yurio’s 4S-3T > Yuuri’s 4T-3T
4S+3T = 14.8 +10% bonus = 16.28
4T+3T = 14.6 +10% bonus = 16.06
And if he nails it (which he did here) that’s even more points.

Yuuri’s strengths:

more difficult transitions into the jumps (he has the skating skills to pull it off)

One of the criteria for the “bonus points” (GOE) is tricky or unique entrances/exits of a jump.

more stamina

Helped by having great skating skills, this allows him to keep the energy high in the second half (fast spins, precise choreography, complex footwork). This means his PCS gets a boost. Also, this lets him push all of his jumps to the second half.

Yeah after that it started getting boring, flashbacks are not the same and it's mainly why I was so disappointed with how they did Otabek.

JJ should have gotten zero points but Momo.

Program Component Scores (PCS)

This is where Skating Skills, Transitions, Performance, Composition, and Interpretation get points. On a scale of 10, an average high-level Senior skater might get 7′s. Yuuri is known for his skating skills, so I’ll assume he gets scores in the 8.0~9.0 range which is really good.

i.e. Yurio has 7+7.5+8+8+8 = 38.5 points
Yuuri has 8+8.5+9+9+9 = 43.5 points
He could make up for the 4S blunder right here.

Let’s do something crazy: calculating the scores:

Yurio - jump base value calculation:
3A + 4S-3T x + 4T x
8.5 + ((10.5+4.3)+((10.5+4.3)*.10)) + (10.3+(10.3*.10)) =
8.5+16.28+11.33 = 36.11

Yuuri - jump base value calculation:
3A x + 4S x + 4T-3T x
(8.5+(8.5*.10)) + (10.5+(10.5*.10)) + ((10.3+4.3)+((10.3+4.3)*.10)) = 9.35+11.55+16.06 = 36.96

So technically speaking, the difficulty is about equal element-wise, but Yuuri’s program is a little harder since everything is in the second half.
Victor probably held back on putting all of Yurio’s jumps in the second half because of his stamina. He’s not playing favorites, though – at this stage, with Yuuri not as stable with his jumps, the points would more-or-less balance out.

If you add my estimated PCS:
36.11(jumps)+38.5(PCS) = 74.61 (Yurio)
36.96(jumps)+43.5(PCS) = 80.46 (Yuuri)

add in the GOE (Grade Of Execution - the “bonus/deduction points”):
74.61 + (GOE of +2 on 3A) + (GOE of +2 on combination jump) + (GOE of +2 on 4T) =
74.61+6 = 80.61 (Yurio)

80.46 + (GOE of +1 on the 3A (b/c Victor complained a lot)) + (-3 GOE for step-out & one hand down) + (GOE of +2 on combination jump) =
80.46+0 = 80.46 (Yuuri)

Then you have to add spins and the step sequence - which is Yuuri’s forte. There are a bunch of different types of spin positions and steps. A full spin element or step sequence is given a level (1,2,3,4 with 4 as the hardest), and then you add GOE. I’m not so good at reading step sequences to give these levels- and the full step sequence isn’t shown anyway - so we’re going to take into account a few things: 1.Yurio had a good spin at the beginning, but lost some precision and stamina later in his program. 2.Yuuri had more energy than Yurio at the end to keep the final spin and footwork sharp. 3. Yuuri kept his spins and steps high-quality, but it’s early in the season so there’s room for improvement.
I’m using the same spins for both Yurio and Yuuri to level the playing field here. I’m reflecting Yuuri’s strength here by giving him higher levels and GOE.
Sp=spin, StSq= step sequence, # = level

(I’m taking actual scores from the most recent Autumn Classic. Of all the spins, I chose ones that had GOEs which should be fair to Yurio and Yuuri.)
FCSp4 + 0.30 GOE = 3.50
CSSp3 + 1.10 GOE = 3.70
StSq3 + 0.70 GOE = 4.00
CCoSp3 + 0.60 GOE = 3.60
=14.70 (Yurio)

FCSp3 + 0.80 GOE = 3.60
CSSp4 + 0.90 GOE = 3.90
StSq4 + 2.10 GOE = 6.00
CCoSp4 + 1.20 GOE = 4.70
= 18.20 (Yuuri)

Meaning a few points advantage for Yuuri.
80.61+14.70 = 95.31 (Yurio)
80.46+18.20 = 98.66 (Yuuri)

Even if we don’t do guess work on the step sequence and spins, as long as Yuuri was better than Yurio in one spin he would have won the competition. I was also conservative in the PCS because it’s early in the pre-season and I can’t see the step sequence clearly. If Yuuri was as good as Takeshi implied (“a Yuuri like we’ve never seen”), then he could easily have beyond 9′s - which is another few points above Yurio.

And those are the cold-hard facts. (or at least, as numerical as possible)
(btw: a 3.35 point difference is good. Close, but definitely not something you would say “he barely won!”)

End. Take that, deniers. The maths don't lie.

>Some episodes were literally 90% skatin
This. I was agreeably surprised that they didn't half ass that part. No wonder even olympic GOLD medalists love this show.

Goddamn nigga

>ywn have a Pig moaning and writhing underneath you
Just end me now.

what about yurio's sp score being impossible

Do JJ now.

Bait

A FUCKING LEAF

Ice skating, and all sports that are scored like it, seem like bullshit to me

Z E R O. Fucking leaf sucking judges dicks.

it's not even possible to score zero unless you don't do anything at all

IT'S FUCKINGU REAFU STYRRRRR

Victor is so damn handsome in that pic

It's straighter than an arrow

Sometimes I don't know what to do with myself because I love Otabek so much.

For how shitty he was, he might as well have just went out on the ice and fallen down.

Explain how Phichit got that gold

*soviet thumbs up*

Otabek was fucking robbed. So was Chris.

So what you're telling me is that JJ should in fact have scored zero.

Thats not a aportar, where is this category in the olimpyc games??

Otabek is the best

Go to sleep Yurio.

pls no bully

L E A F
E
A
F

He's trying

Bear NTR

My S2 hopes and dreams include Otabeard.

I like to think of it this way.

JJ won the bronze, but Otabek won the blonde.

JJ is superior to Otabek in every way, though. Name one memorable thing about Otabek's skating.

Chris won nothing but a slowly dying career

Please no ;_;

Kill yourself leaf.

Remember when Leaf was supposed to be the big bad and he fucking choked in the SP like a bitch.

Neither Chris or Otabek chocked. Chris only fumbled one time.

Chris has a loving boyfriend, a fluffy cat, and mature eros aplenty. Episode 12 was senseless but he will overcome.

I want yakov and prima to get together

The sparkles was maja

JJ pls go

He'll still never taste that gold

Chris clearly lost because he wasn't feeling it enough to cum on the ice. I think I know why we haven't seen his boyfriend in competitions before.

He'll probably retire and never win again. His story is one of younger kids taking over the sport and old athletes fading away.

He can coach Korea in mature eros. God knows he needs it.

I want him to pull a Victor and coach Korea

He has a fantastic career ahead of him in exotic dance at least

Hilarious to see OP that butthurt from the beginning of his shit thread.
Sorry that your retardness was so easy to demonstrate.

>No nipples
Why is this allowed?

Georgi has spoken.

What did he mean by this

Success breeds jealousy, senpai.

Leave Kotomine alone.

Chris made the ultimate mistake and had sex before the competition and used up all his testosterone.

Why is Yuuri sucking on a straw when he should be sucking Victor's dick?

PHICHIT

NIPPLES

WHEN

>there were people who actually wanted Victor and Yuuri to have sex before GPF

even Chris was a parallel

The love story should have been Yuri and Phichit, they look way better together.

>Pichit
>nipples
"Pichipples"

I find it so funny that Johnny Weir really dislikes Chris, but Adam Rippon calls him his spirit animal.

T-thanks for your hard work user. I g-guess.

I know you didn't write this yourself and are just copypastaing but all of it can be reduced to dust by making you realize Sayo and Kubo forgot about Zayak's rule in Yurio's free.

They had a romance in Detroit. They cohabited while living there. Pre-sequel fucking when?

Weir said that because Chris supposedly reminds him of people he doesn't like (same for JJ), so that has seriously made me wonder about his relationship with Rippon.

>Adam Rippon calls him his spirit animal.
When did this happen?

Who chose this seating arrangement? If it was Victor, he really needs to stop playing himself like this.

I like their relationship the way it is because I like the whole thing about him being to Yuuri what Chris is to Victor.