Since Your Name is about to overtake it as #1 in Japan

What makes Spirited Away better than Your Name? Is it just as overrated, or does it deserve its #1 spot?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ArsV7AFZBHY
youtube.com/watch?v=GwTqNNXNQnA
japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGJ9rxsrLIW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>not even an oscar nomination

The only reason people like Spirited Away is for its visuals and monster designs. Beyond that, there is nothing enjoyable about the experience. There is no story in Spirited Away, and the soundtrack is awful. And that's saying something, since Miyazaki almost always makes stories about literally nothing. At least films like the Wind Rises and Howl's Moving Castle outperform this pile of shit. Glad to see it'll be going away to be replaced by a superior movie.

Disagree, about Spirited Away but

Arietty has no story and it made me mad.

Spirited Away is the greatest anime of all time.

>soundtrack is awful
>whining about based Hisaishi

end yourself

>There is no story in Spirited Away

"A pampered girl travels to plane inhabited by youkai and must not only escape but rescue her parents. Along the way she learns the value of hard work." That was easy.

>and the soundtrack is awful
But you're clearly trolling anyways.

youtube.com/watch?v=ArsV7AFZBHY

>Miyazaki almost always makes stories about literally nothing

Miyazaki always makes stories about environmental awareness.

>#1 spot (in what, sales?)
>in nipland
>important

if you're going to waste peoples time with a "discussion", at least wait until something worth mentioning happens, newfag.

>newfag
The ironing.

t. Miyazaki

it's not even the best anime movie

I can't tell you how many times I listen to this song. It puts me in a 'mood' like nothing else.

youtube.com/watch?v=GwTqNNXNQnA

It's critically acclaimed. That's why it's considered the best

>wallpaper
>600x450

>critically acclaimed
You need exposure to be critically acclaimed. Oscar bait does a bunch of tacky shit to get 'critically acclaimed'. Any hack can write a feel good story with a lot of sad scenes. Critical acclaim is not something you should strive for. No one remembers movies because critics said it was good. It has to speak to people, not just make them feel sad about the little orphan boy on screen

Spirited Away is a tour de force of Japanese mythology. It's the sort of thing that 500 years from now, archaeologists, anthropologists, and historians would be studying off of carefully-restored filmreels and DVDs to serve as a reference for a mythos that might otherwise be lost to time. It's significance as a cultural artifact far surpasses any of the common-fodder anime that we speak of.

pic unrelated

How do the ticket prices of today compare with when it came out in japan back then?

I love Spirited Away. The one Miyazaki Ghibli film I think is overrated is Princess Mononokek, I just didn't get the appeal. Feel free to call me a pleb though.

>soundtrack is awful
have does it feel to have inferior taste?

> The only reason people like Spirited Away

Sorry, user but I stopped reading right there. Easy to tell an obvious shit post right from the opening line

>Garbage: The Movie

I personally love Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away is still my favourite tho

The one I find overrated is Totoro I find it unbearably boring, I like Kiki way more than Totoro even if both are of the "nothing really happens" kind of movie.

>replaced by a superior movie
stopped reading there

Please do not imply that Shinkai's meme movie is anywhere close to as good as Spirited Away again.

What a bore.

Totoro is a movie for small children. Last time I ended up in a group of people watching it, I had to distract myself with my phone to keep from losing brain cells.

>The one I find overrated is Totoro I find it unbearably boring, I like Kiki way more than Totoro even if both are of the "nothing really happens" kind of movie.

Both are leaps and bounds above the acid trip that was Ponyo.

>anime

>(((Academy Awards)))

Howl's Moving Castle was garbage though.

>francein2017.gif

How is it doing in Baguette Land? is it doing good?

The frogs love it.

You shouldn't even compare Shinkaishit to a film as artistic as Spirited Away.

Definitely overrated.
The only ghibli movie that became a cultural icon was Totoro.

But what inspired many director to anime industry is Howl.

Nigga what? Howl's came out in 2004 when the anime industry was already well-established. You're thinking of Laputa,

>Your name is about to overtake it.
In Japan it's impossible for YN to overtake Spirited Away unless the japs bring a new life to it with the IMAX viewings. At the rate it's going now it won't even pass Frozen.

>Is it just as overrated
I don't know if Keit-Ai is overrated or not, as I haven't seen it, but Spirited Away is overrated as fuck. The characters are all shallow, and their actions don't make any sense. The old lady literally goes from being the antagonist to being friendly for no reason, and the dragon boy is there for no reason.

Miyazaki is just smoke and mirrors. There's no depth to his work.

good post

It's a good movie but Miyazaki is just salty he never managed to make one as good and that people stopped sucking his dick over it and the way he acts now king of overshadows the good stuff he did unfortunately. Definitely overrated though the film itself isn't bad or mediocre or anything.

Literally normalfag's first isekai anime.

>ywn help Zeniba knit while living in her cozy house with No-Face

Totoro was just boring. At least Ponyo didn't bore me to death.

Oh, right. I meant Laputa.

He had his buddy Lasseter shill for him. Just look at pic related. Utter mediocrity storywise but gets nomination because 'muh miyazaki'.

Oscar winner.

>Your Name will be screened on IMAX starting on January ~, 2017 with addition of new After Scenes about Mitsuha and Taki.
Watch as 60% of nipland watch it again.

>about Mitsuha and Taki
Personally, I want to know more about this バカップル.

>The old lady literally goes from being the antagonist to being friendly for no reason
That bothered me too. Apparently Miyazaki starts making his movies before the scripts are even finished, and it really shows.

>There is no story in Spirited Away
This is the level of discourse in Sup Forums. I think even Sup Forums is more advanced.

Shinkai already confirmed their relationship.

She was originally supposed to be the super duper big bad and string puller in Miyazaki's original storyboard, but his producer Suzuki rejected it because it made the movie go to almost 4 hours. So he had to rewrite the entire second half.

People say how Miyazaki always writes no real good or bad guys have no idea what they're talking about.

You just aren't Totoro target audience.
Totoro was fucking great for its time. Ask any kids that watched that show and I bet they would still remember the bus scene even after 20years later.

Chances of surpassing Spirited?

Domestically, need musubi power.
Worldwide, maybe after US release.

>it's another 'Only the biggest faggots feel the need to maintain an identity on this website' episode

It will be a failure in the USA

That's faggot Funimation's fault for waiting Oscar shit.

>worldwide
Spirited Away: $273m
Your Rope: $288m

I doubt it will fail in the US.

>>The old lady literally goes from being the antagonist to being friendly for no reason

That was her good twin, Zeniba. Yubaba stayed as the antagonist.
Literal children can follow this movie, you people are retarded.
You people are retarded.

Of course Sup Forums have no understanding of cinema that works on the level of Spirited Away, look at what it cums over.

hahahahaha

But she wasn't a NEET. And what was her special ability? Complaining?

>muh Hisaishi
Overly mediocre composer that had his compositions become reduced to mostly sounding the same. His best works were pretty much left at his minimalist era.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but they did let "Sixth Station" carry an entire 5 minutes of that movie with no dialogue whatsoever. I'd say he still had it there.

>$288m
>Using fixed exchange rate when Yen is at its strongest point
It still need another $30m to break Miyazaki.

It's like you're trying to be the most wrong you can possibly be.

>The one Miyazaki Ghibli film I think is overrated is Princess Mononokek
I agree.
It's like a Holywood version of Nausica.

>There's no depth to his work.
Said the neet with 50 IQ KEK

Laputa is a pinnacle of action adventure.

I think it's actually my least favourite of that kind of Miyazaki movie. Still a masterwork, but I prefer the story and characters of Conan and the folklore of Princess Mononoke.

Nadia was better.

Look at the animation detail of the backgrounds in spirited away and compare it to Your Name

Your Name doesn't stand a fucking chance. The amount of depth and life Hayao Miyazaki brought into this universe is unmatched, and it's not even fucking supposed to be taking place in the real world.

That's the difference between them. Shinkai once said he doesn't have a talent in creat ing things from pure imagination like Miyazaki. That's why he always refuses when people call him the second Miyazaki.

>Conan

It's funny you bring up Conan as I would consider that the weakest Miyazaki adventure story, for the simple fact that the MC is close to an immortal kid who can do and survive everything. Of course it's also the most influential MIyazaki story and set down the many tropes of the shonen anime, but I don't think anyone nowadays looks back on them kindly.

>for the simple fact that the MC is close to an immortal kid who can do and survive everything.
Just that? And also not that most of the cast aside from Monsley and Dyce(?) are pretty one-dimensional at best? Or that the pacing somewhat suffers during the High Harbor arc?

>for the simple fact that the MC is close to an immortal kid who can do and survive everything.
I think that's actually one of the things that add to the general melancholy, but I can understand why many people would consider this a flaw.

Shameful.

Are people taking their children to see Your Name? It seems like a teen/young adult romance with less of a broad appeal. Spirited Away was so successful because literally anybody could enjoy it, from baby shitting diapers to old man.

Well, you ended reading everything.

Anime movies can only offer animation
Everything live action is better

Spirited Away is terrifying as a kid though. I remember me shitting my pants when my grandma took me to the theater to see it.

>can only offer animation
Animation is limitless. Everything that's impossible to do in real life, even with sfx or cgi, you can animate it.

That's true but the shock factor is what made it so mesmerizing. That's what made it truly feel like another world and the cute MC girl is like the rock that keeps you from getting too scared. On the other hand, yeah I was pretty afraid that my parents were going to turn into pigs.

porco best ghibli

Well, Nipponese in my country takes their children to watch it because they have a wrong impression that anime is for children.

I recently watched Totoro again with a friend who had never watched Ghibli movies before. I was a little worried about it before since I remembered it being not as instantly gratifying as some of the more action-packed films, but we both enjoyed it a lot in the end. There's a clear structure to it, while Spirited Away just feels disconnected and dispersed, and instead of just delighting in rolling out tons of Jap mythology on screen, Totoro is content to just remind you of childhood days.
Preach.

I have a bachelor's in creative writing.

Your argumentation is shit, but I'm loving how you drew the anger of all the fags that hype a mediocre Miyazaki work.

You'd have to be pretty retarded to not realize that his creativity pretty much peaked with Porco Rosso. And while Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are good movies, his creativity was already slowly declining, and it totally plummeted with Howl and Ponyo.

Both Shinkai and Miyazaki are hacks at this point, and the only Oscar worthy nominee in the past years was obviously Kaguya. If you don't realize this, you should fuck off to Reddit or MAL.

So many buzzwords... Just fucking kill yourself

You're a nut, you know that?

kek

>S-Senpai, dame! Don't look at my work, it's so horrible compared to what you do! It's trash! PURE GARBAGE!

japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/12/27/films/please-dont-see-animated-blockbuster-says-japans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGJ9rxsrLIW

These Miyazaki/Shinkai threads are so fucking cancerous, holy shit.
>Muh oscar means shit
>Muh sales
>Muh critics
This folks is what happens when people try to bring celeb and industry drama to the table, one of the main reasons Sup Forums is garbage and infesteded by normalfags is that 50% of the threads are like this shit.

We cant find a cinema showing it.

He's completely right about anime nowadays and its tendency to create 3D trash.

It came and went, just like Kimi no na wa in the Philippines.