Why can't pic related have the recognition it deserves?

Why can't pic related have the recognition it deserves?

It has it.

1. it has it
2. it's not that good

> let's attract normalfags, this time it totally gonna work

Because it's not nearly as good as people make it out to be, it doesn't even have the old-school charm supporting it.
But people make a fuss about it because "muh dark themes" and they have a divine duty to suck Anno's cock.

and the name of it is?

why are they wearing 2 underwears

It's honestly not that amazing. The ending is all people remember.

>But people make a fuss about it because "muh dark themes"
That's a valid reason, though. "Dark themes" are much less explored compared to the 30+ Highschool Harem Romance Comedy shows every season, and when they are it is often pretentious edgy shit like Tokyo Ghoul.

>It's honestly not that amazing. The ending is all people remember.
Well what more does a 6 episode OVA need, except a memorable ending? Sure, Gunbuster might have benefited from less wacky starting episodes, but it's not absolutely necessary,

If I have to struggle through 6 shitty episodes for a good ending its not a good series.
Thankfully for Gunbuster it's only like 4 episodes.
But you are right, in order to be memorable, it has to have a memorable ending. Personally I thought Gakusaver was better than Gunbuster in almost every way except for the ending, but nobody remembers Gakusaver.

Because the only good part of this show was how it treated the difference in flow of time.

Everything else was garbage, and I can't even listen to most dialogues without feeling something between cringe and discomfort.

DieBuster was better (but still pretty meh-tier).

I thought it and its sequel was great, although the ending being a little bittersweet
>12,000 years later
>Everyone you knew is fucking dead and you outlived them all at still 15-16 and ~20-30 years old but at least you get back to earth
>Person that idolized one of the pilots still drifting through space in a broken robot died 10 years before they actually arrived and never got to meet her
I wish those movies weren't recaps.

The best thing about Diebuster was the creation of Hime/Nono futa doujins.

Prove me wrong.

I've watched gunbuster before and thought it was decent, but stopped watching diebuster after the first episode for reasons I can't remember.

Do I try again?

I enjoyed it more than the original, but different strokes for different folks and all that.
If you enjoy cute girls doing mecha things, then go for it.
It reaches the TTGL levels of craziness/autism by the end, and that's always fun to watch.

Imagine if people talked about Gunbuster the way they talk about Evangelion or Gurren Lagann. I love it but too much popularity is a bad thing.

No, Diebuster is trash besides from the opening.

You sold it

>I can't even listen to most dialogues without feeling something between cringe and discomfort.
I don't know if it was the subs or what but I specifically remember reading "If you spill your milk, just pour some more" in episode 4 and I almost dropped it right there.

The contrast between the school setting and the threat at hand completely broke my suspension of disbelief and just threw me out of it.

why was Nono in a comet?

/thread

Another way of looking at it is the later seriousness catches you off guard, making it more impactful.

>first I'm gonna drag them down to my level, and then beat them with experience!

It's a charming series but I think people overstate how good it is due to Annos involvement and pioneering "gainaxing".

Personally I think it's great, but it's not on the level that many of its diehard think it is.

Say what you want about Gunbuster, but "Fly High" is one of the hypest insert songs of all time.

what the fuck are you on about?

it is an academy, 99.99999% of those girls will never go on a mission

It's actually a lot better than it's reputation

It just triggers stupid westerners with its first few episodes because they go in expecting

>muh seriousness
>muh akira
>muh cowpboy beepboop

First few episodes in a nutshell
>o-one-sama!
>K-KOCZIII!!
>o-one-samaaaa

That's pretty much the entire series, just add
>PAPAAAA
>SMISUUUU
and you're covered.

Fun as fuck and it frightens normies with its shojo influence

>SMISUU
Oh yeah, I forgot about that faggot.
She spent like 30 minutes around him and yet we were supposed to believe she loved him so much that she kept fighting to revenge his death for years. Quality writing.

You forgot about the occasional meme move
>inazumaaaa kiiiiiickuuuuu

I just viewed it as her being hit with that people can actually die on missions rather her being in love. While Smith was pretty much a non-character, I do like how his death was handled.

That's not what that means.

Creating a sense of security and taking it away is an entirely legitimate thing.

That's because the original has the recognition it deserves and was way more popular for a reason.

Diebuster is great and does well as a stand alone while retaining the themes of Gunbuster.

This.

FOR THE LAST TIME, IT'S SURVIVOR'S GUILT

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

Diebuster is so bad that it's hard to believe that it's actually a sequal by the same studio. It hurt to watch.

I could say the same thing about Gunbuster.

Anyways, it's sequel to FLCL, TTGL, and re: Cutie Honey. Not Gunbuster. So it's appropriately only related by theme.

No you can't.

I can.

Art Design was god tier but every other aspect of the show drags it down except for the General Relativity stuff which fits into Gun buster like a square in a circular hole.

Did you not watch the science lessons?

If you go an inch below the mainstream you'll see that it does indeed have the recognition it deserves.

It's recognized as celebrating anime, being a tribute to 70s and 80s mecha, and kicking off the super robot craze Sunrise ushered in during the 90s. And it's an extremely noteworthy work because of it being Gainax's first commercial work as well as Anno's directorial debut and how he went around and completely fucked up the genre a decade later with Eva.

I thought it was pretty silly but also immersive because it shows you that to pilot these mechs you have to have whole academies training kids from a young age. And then you just get kicked in the dick when you see things like the FTL ships, the orbital fleet being built, and the Black Hole Bomb that draw your suspension of belief so taught that it feels like it'll break at any moment. But instead it collapses back to reality and you find yourself crying over something that started so lighthearted and fun.

>and how he went around and completely fucked up the genre a decade later with Eva.
Are you saying that's a bad thing?

Dunno, it didn't manage to reach me in any way and I usually get drawn to stuff like that in no time.

NGE makes me cry every episode past ep 16 for example.

No, I'm saying it's amazing that one man managed to create two great works in the same genre that set out to accomplish oppposite goals.

I think Gunbuster has definitely aged with time a bit so if you watch it when you're older the cheesiness and campiness might be too distracting. In which case it might even be worth watching Diebuster first because it has similar dynamics but more modernized.

>No, I'm saying it's amazing that one man managed to create two great works in the same genre that set out to accomplish oppposite goals.
Oh, alright.

>frightens normies with its shojo influence
I thought they liked shojo-based shows.

Is the character in the middle horny? Asking for science, goes without saying.

They're two characters in the middle, user.

captcha: oznara clondyke

Gunbuster was pretty good.

Liked Diebuster more.

1. It's a knockoff of another anime
2. It's a shorter, butchered version of that anime.
3. It's not that good.

Well fuck it's old

Which anime?