Why are sports anime getting so overhyped in the last couple of years?

Why are sports anime getting so overhyped in the last couple of years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CImqTuRjWm4
youtube.com/watch?v=tr6XsZVb-ZE
youtube.com/watch?v=9lpYmyoGjCs
animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2015-04-11/.86914
youtube.com/watch?v=Knemz6iNYTI
youtube.com/watch?v=x1VNM57PHms
olympic.org/tokyo-2020
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fujoshit money.

>overhyped

Because they are enjoyable and full of adrenaline, sport manga are the only decent reason to even read Jump.

literally this, fucking fujos took over sports anime

They all want to be Slam Dunk but they can't

This desu.

Slam Dunk is the only one worth giving a shit.

people like them because the sport can be the drama, allowing relationships and characterization to develop without being forced like in so many other types of manga

They all want to be Ashita no Joe.

Because unless you were a beta faggot that didn't play sports growing up, it's easy to relate to the goals and friendships gained in a sports anime.

I'm a beta faggot who didn't play sports and I can relate to sports manga protagonists.

user, where do you think you are?

>not being hyped for Yowamushi Pedal
What are you, gay?

First post best post

>grew up playing sports
>don't like sports anime because of how unrealistically the sports play out in most of them

>sports anime being popular is a recent thing

Why wouldn't you want to watch a show full of cute, young boys with rippling physiques and intimate bonds with each other?

First time and last time I saw Slam Dunk was on Jump Ultimate Stars 3DS
Majority will admit that Kuroko no basket is better

I guess It's popular because we now have better graphics for le epic secret skill MVP of the match.

Literally no-one thinks KnB is better except fujos.

Well, it's fucking anime. If I wanted to see the sport playing just like IRL, I'd might as well go play the sport IRL then.

Indeed, sports anime are usually full of best boys.

>The first/last time I saw a series that ran in the early 90s was a game centered on mashing together decades of nostalgia.
Your neck must get a workout carrying a brain that huge. I don't know where you're getting that notion the majority of people who have read/watched both KnB and Slam Dunk think that KnB is better. Even in KnB threads people will tell you that Slam Dunk is superior, but can still enjoy KnB despite that. If you've seen something that's considered the one of best in the genre, that doesn't mean you're prevented from enjoying anything else similar to that thing.

ants.png

Do you hate Yugioh as well because the anime doesn't portray the duels exactly like the actual card game?

Sadly I bought into the hype and recently watched this show. It fucking sucked.

If you're gonna botter making a show about a sport, at least make it seem believable to people who know how the sport works.

No, I hate YGO because it's shit.

I'm not a fujoshi and I like KnB more than Slam Dunk, but they are barely comparable. The only similarity is that they play the same sport. KnB is great, it's a shame the author had such a bishonen style, that shit only attracts fujos who can't understand manly feelings of camaradery and rivalry and have to shit on it with their shipping.

The best sports series for me is Eyeshield 21, luckily fujos weren't a thing back then.

>If you're gonna botter making a show about a sport, at least make it seem believable to people who know how the sport works.

i.e. slam dunk

despite the obvious over-exaggerated moments for comic relief. its quite accurate.

>If you're gonna botter making a show about a sport, at least make it seem believable to people who know how the sport works.

It's about finding balance. Sport anime can be full of crazy shit and still teach you a lot about the game and the rules. If you're making a manga it doesn't make sense to be so strict with realism, it's like Kenshin with sword fights, it was unrealistic as fuck but none the less enjoyable because of that.

But of course that's subjective. There's people who prefers more realism and people who prefers more bullshit, so it's no point arguing about that. Even the most realistic sports series will ussually hit a point where they become too shonen just by sheer escalating of the rivals.

You're a god damn fujo.

afaik only kuroko no basket is unrealistic where they have a guy that shoots 3's as casual as steph curry

Kuroko is better than Haikyuu

I thought Ping Pong was pretty good

Have you ever heard of Prince of Tennis?

Congratulations user, you are a pleb fuck with no taste. At least the fujos have an excuse of enjoying KnB for the fuccbois.

I really should pick up Eyeshield 21. I was browsing old SJ covers and every volume that featured Eyeshield 21 stood out because of the gorgeous art.

We need a new anime. I want the match with Sannoh animated.

oh, and need also a new anime for Eyeshield21.

Not forget Capitan Tsubasa

youtube.com/watch?v=CImqTuRjWm4

I've been meaning to do that as well, but my backlog is a mile long. I was told to beware of the Dinosaurs arc since it was tacked on because of how popular the series was.

Because people are stupid and fall for hype shit all the time.

Which one in Haikyuu that is unrealistic? Granted that I don't know anything about Volleyball.

I guess everything about Kageyama and to some extend Hinata?

Haikyuu is pretty realistic. It's animated in an exaggerated way, but there's nothing in it that's like super out of the bounds of reality.

>It's a shame the author had such a bishounen style
I am suddenly struck by nostalgia at the wave of complaints from Japanese SJ readers (even the fujos) who hated how fucking ugly all the characters were in the beginning. The manga almost got shitcanned because of it. Good thing SJ was desperate and decided to give it a chance, since it turned out to be a smash hit.

On a more general level, there's a reason why people decry 00s-10s SJ as 'Bishounen Jump.' That's just where the artstyle is going for the market. If you want more varied artstyles, you're going to have to read seinen.

I can't get into anime sports because, in reality, Japan sucks at most things athletic. They always have these characters that are really tall and just use the excuse they are only half-japanese or some shit.

I have also yet to encounter a sports anime/manga that truly encapsulates the bromance between teammates. Japanese male authors will never understand because they are so prudish they can't even look at another guy without feeling it's just too gay.

no

baseball manga do that all the time though.

>I have also yet to encounter a sports anime/manga that truly encapsulates the bromance between teammates.
You can't show that on Japanese TV.

You've seen nothing.

how do we get sports anime to be this hype

youtube.com/watch?v=tr6XsZVb-ZE

Hinata is fucking 5' 4.

Will we ever have a popular sport anime with girls?

Excluding the "It's like Saki, but X" stuff

It's mostly realistic but I heard people say one of Kageyama's tosses are actually illegal or impossible. Then you have ridiculously OP characters like Ushijima. It will only gets worse as they have to create characters that are progressively more challenging.

>encapsulates the bromance between teammates

slam dunk characters bond pretty well over the course of the anime. I'd say they do a good job showing how trust can grow over time in a sports setting

youtube.com/watch?v=9lpYmyoGjCs

Keijo!!!!!!!!

We have a number of interesting girls sports anime and manga, but they don't seem to catch on.

Well, one did, but in a time long before we were born.

There's a girls' cycling animu that starts this season. Whether or not it'll be 'cute girls on bikes' or an actual sports series remains to be seen. I'm assuming it'll be cute girls on bikes since 11s seem to go full retard when it comes to women's sports.

A lot of people had bullshit in Kuroko, but Midorima's perfect shooting was probably the most unrealistic. He made full-courts with 100% accuracy with normal jump-shots. The NBA probably scouted him right out of highschool.

Overhyped by who?

We need more of them, They contain the most memorable moments and contain happy sadness joy anger all these different things in one show because of various personalities.

Sport shows are the fucking best and need more adaptations.

Read more manga or go watch older anime.

Hibike Euphonium

I don't hate the artstyle per se, just the crowd it attracts. Eyeshield 21 had the same kinds of relationships between characters than Kuroko yet it's not invaded by fujos because characters aren't typically pretty.

In this decade not so likely, unless it's a cute idol thing. See the list on the following link, nothing wrong with trying out older anime.

animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2015-04-11/.86914

Nishikori is #5 in ATP rankings, and I'm pretty sure there's a 6'3 Japanese woman in the WNBA.

Why do we love Baby Steps?

Attacker You was really popoular ine the '90.

youtube.com/watch?v=Knemz6iNYTI

Hajime no Ippo was my first sports anime and my last too. I have yet to find a great sports anime like Hajime no Ippo.

youtube.com/watch?v=x1VNM57PHms

Men dont buy sport anime unless theyre fake crazy sports and even then its iffy. Unless this trend changes, I don't see it.

Keijo is so unpopular it gets *** for V2 because it didn't rank high enough to register any sales at all.

And Japanese high school nets are 7.87 feet tall (2.4m). So for him to get his head all the way above the net in a jump as he often does in the show, he'd have to jump about 3 feet. The highest standing jump is apparently 5.3 feet, so it's not like he's some crazy freak of nature. But 3 feet is still probably very rare for a high schooler.

This is why making haikyuu realistic was a mistake. Especially since the author is trying to introduce national team level stuff. It started off as a light-hearted inspirational story but the longer it goes on the more depressing it gets.

Nah most sports anime have something equally weird. Captain Tsubasa had a keeper that won't miss even one ball, not even a tennis service. Prince of Tennis had people throwing balls that would not bounce, but just roll back on the floor. Even Slam Dunk had some weird shit, some of those kids had the level of NBA players, they weren't doing anything impossible but they were goddamn asian kids.

I bought plenty of realistic sports manga.
I would have bought the anime except I don't like the data carriers that go obsolete too quickly for my taste and are a pain to deal with when you're trying to watch something.

L E A F

And not forget Ace o nerae!.

He sucked judges dicks. Thats the only way its realistic.

The thing with Haikyuu is that you have to know about volleyball to realize how impossible some things are. If you're a casual you can let it pass, but I have a friend who plays volleyball and likes Haikyuu but will go full autistic with some of the plays, Kageyama's tosses for example.

it is normal. If the character had the skill of a real japanese, the manga will end in a volume.

Doesn't Hinata jump like 10 feet in the air? I'm pretty sure they measured it but it seems pretty ridiculous.

What triggered me the most is that you just can't get the ball to the basket with a normal shot. Even when you see people making three pointers from behind half court, they generally just throw the ball like a catapult, because you just can't give the ball enough force with a regular form.

Prince of Tennis's worst example is the Samurai Drive. Not only is it unrealistic (cutting the ball in half with the rope between the net and pole) but it's also completely pointless because split balls stop play.

Yeah I know, I was just making a point about his previous post. But to be fair you can get into the unrealistic territory without having, say, a guy that makes 3 pointers from any point in the court.

Because they appeal harder to shonenfags than shonen nowdays.

I'm glad I never got to see that. It would have ruined sport anime forever for me.

I don't play volleyball but I thought it was pretty unrealistic that he can pinpoint the exact right spot and speed to toss so the spiker doesn't even need to have their eyes open.

In haikyuu you're either an underdog or a fucking magical prodigy elite genius.

That's height + arm length + jump

His vertical reach with a running jump is something like 10'9. Someone who is 6' has a roughly 8' standing reach, so taking his height and shorter arms into account it's 40+ inches.

2020 Olympics
Long term plan to get everybody excited for them, it goes all the way to the top man - it's a conspiracy.

>the most unrealistic
As long as Emperor Eye and Perfect Copy exist, Midorima's perfect shooting will only be the second or third most unrealistic superpower in BSball unless you're separating KnB powers into bullshit magic and mundane but unrealistic categories, in which case Midorima's shooting is the most unrealistic. I reckon most of the Skittles got recruited straight out of high school, except for Purple since his superpower was just being fuckhuge compared to all the tiny Asian kids.

>a 6'3 Japanese woman in the WNBA
Nice desu.

I see what you mean. There's a recent example of that with All Out. The most common complaint I've seen from both fujos and non-fujos is that the character design is awful, even though it's only a couple characters with weird designs. (The second most common complaint is that it's generic, which it is, but it manages to still be a little charming in spite of that.)

Well I didn't realize that, but my friend will always sperg about that. It seemed complicated, but not outright impossible, except the part of having the eyes closed. But yeah, you need magical coordination for that to work.

Because Haikyuu is a good Sports Anime and the OST is always so great and you should go back to /u/

Free remains a bastion of realism.

Don't forget backspin that magically cancels the ball's momentum.

Fujos also cream their pants over Osomatsu, so I don't think it was all artstyle.

olympic.org/tokyo-2020
maybe?

Not as bad as Tezuka zone.

Baby Steps got me into actual tennis

>As long as Emperor Eye and Perfect Copy exist, Midorima's perfect shooting will only be the second or third most unrealistic superpower in BSball unless you're separating KnB powers into bullshit magic and mundane but unrealistic categories

You're right about that. Statistically speaking, having 100% accuracy is total bullshit, and unneccessary because he could have had a 90% and still be a menace. Blocking is really hard, so realistically he should win against everybody.

Perfect Copy and the guy who stole abilities are probably the most unrealistic, Perfect Copy can be as bullshit as Midorima's three pointers but it's also a power with a cooldown, in real life. The guy who steals abilities is worse, how in hell do you make someone unlearn something, even if it's temporary?

Ankle breaker at will is on par with 100% accuracy. Ankle breaks isn't even something that is done voluntarily, for it to happen the other guy has to be running in order to lose balance, yet Akashi makes people fall even if they're standing in place. That must be fun as fuck by the way, definitely the power I would pick up.

Kuroko has straight up magic or mutant powers.

>tfw your sport won't ever be able to be adapted without being fujobait

Ei-chan

Is there an example of sports anime with actual superpowers? Not bullshit that pretends to be explained as human talent, but things that are acknowledged in universe as straight up super powers. It could be interesting.