Remember when ANIME use to have more testosterone than it knew what to do with?

Remember when ANIME use to have more testosterone than it knew what to do with?

youtu.be/8kctlrahZsM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ffl4HDp-_S4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Geist will never murder the living fuck out of you
Should I just murder the living fuck out of myself?

I wish Japan didn't change so much. I grew up watching anime that was ultra-violent, sexual(but without the lolis), and non-cringe romance. Normally all these would be wrapped into one jam-packed package, but I haven't seen an anime with these qualities in year and I really do miss it.

That Drifters show that recently aired was ok, but it felt like it was trying too hard to be violent instead of doing it naturally like Hellsing or MD geist. Animes changed m8, and with that I'll proceed to leave this board for another year or so since romcoms, cutesy comedies, and harems rule the market leaving no room for "manime". cya spergs later.

New Geist anime when?

Honestly, kill yourself m8

I think the difference between modern shounen and old shounen is that old shounen is male power fantasy, while modern shounen is wish-fullfilment.

Well, we still have Tiger Mask W, probably the last manly thing that japan will produce in the next decade.

Yes, I remember when anime was gay as fuck. Thank God now we have cute girls doing cute things for us straight guys.

fuck off sissy faggot

No need to be so hostile, for all the cutesy shit this board likes to do the second someone disagrees with the hivemind you resort to regurgitating stale memes at me. Guessing by the way you replied, you probably love the shows I dislike, but as the market shows your types of shows are the overwhelming majority with the more violent stuff seeing maybe one show a season.

You genre already won, but you continue to sling shit at any opinion that isnt 'approved' by Sup Forums, be it your own opinion to do so or just a reflex to this boards culture. Just like a spoiled child getting all the ice cream at your eternal birthday party only to scream and yell at the kid eating coffee flavored ice cream so instead of eating your prefered flavor you don't rest until the child eating coffee ice cream is thrown out of your party or converts to your tastes.

I know I'll get the usual troll responses parroted like sheep this board normally breeds, but seeing as I won't visit this board for another year I thought I'd get it out there in hopes of a newfag seeing it and rethinking their decision of spending enough time on this board to corrupt your mind and turning you into a self-loathing sperg that finds enjoyment in lashing out at strangers.

Cmon boys, I know you have all that pent up anger bottled up you just want to unleash at me for not conforming to Sup Forumss culture, let me hear those parroted memes!

Bye.

nah, your right bro. I personally like 'both' so it sucks to see one side so completely dominate, but it makes sense- Japan likes cute things, and Japan is the market that matters. Its unfortunate but its the truth.

The only old anime you were aware of were OAVs and shows imported for focus group western audience. They definitely weren't the norm ever.

I honestly think its a reflection of the times
90s - Times were good, so cool, edgy and violent fiction was all the rage and there was less access to foreign media. Edgy anime sold relatively well, so more edgy anime was made
2010s - Due the events of the last two decades cutesy, relatively "light", kind, funny, escapist works are popular now; look at the Avengers. An action movie that is interspersed with light humor, heartwarming moments and themes, along with enough logic-moments to get the audience always wanting more. Made a billion bucks. In addition, due to the internet, anime has a much potential bigger audience now, as well as a more easily offended one. Edge lords are seen as childish now, instead of the height of awesomeness. These factors make anime more lighter than it was, to its detriment
Just my 2 cents

This. They were never the norm.

As much as I would love to have Jin Roh every fucking day or wtv.

Its mainly the West that venerates Berserk and GITS etc. ( I know Japan does as well but still)

We still have decent comics in the West, Euro comics are doing some great shit.

The pendulum will swing the other way around now.

We sadly got the transition to the internet phase, so the web needs to grow in order for good shit to start to appear again. Even Disney went to shit because we dont know it, but we are living revolutionary times, everything is changing.

Yeah, it was filled with dumb teenage pandering shit that would even make Michael Bay cringe

If only MD Geist was as good as its song.
youtube.com/watch?v=ffl4HDp-_S4

I remembered watching an anime so manly that the subs didnt have periods.

The 90s were an awful time in Nippon, actually. They literally didn't have an economy.

youre thinking of the 80's. the late 90s was the start of the sjw nu male fag uprising

Stop reposting this thread.

I do OP.

the kinnikuman manga is still going in japan and is pretty damn manly.
also anime when?

This board is full of fucking faggots.

Cheesy CG aside, the Golgo movies had some cool action scenes. Too bad the series was better later on, when the focus shifted towards who could use the services of/piss off/get in the way of Golgo 13, the unstoppable killing machine.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kinnikuman getting the Tiger Mask W treatment.

FUCK testosterone!

I just posted the webm because its aesthetic as fuck. I agree.

Anime should just be gritty post-apocalyptic or cyberpunk. Like Ninja Slayer, etc.

golgo was hilarious, and i'm still not sure if it was good, or so-bad-it's-good

some of it is really well done, but after the first few episodes you realize how often they're reusing voices, and some parts are too over-the-top, corny and dramatic, or downright stupid. i liked it overall though

To my knowledge, the TV series was basically 50 of the better Golgo stories plucked from the manga, remade in modern times and told in no particular order.

You can kind of tell the earlier stories from the later ones by how much emphasis is on Duke Togo himself: The more focus on action and less on his employer/target/antagonist, the earlier the story is chronologically.

Are the series and the movies good?

The series is episodic, but enjoyable if you like seeing Duke Togo blast people away, get accused of murder, and then getting away with it every single time.

What about manga though? Is there not a whole lot of gritty violent types anymore? I remember reading one about a team of elite soldiers executing a covert assassination mission in an enemy planet-state or something. When they succeeded, suddenly the team one by one were brainwashed into attacking each others. Also, in the beginning there was a dream scene where the MC sees the corpses of all the people he killed and his family. I'm not sure if they used mechs or power armor or something. That manga was like trying to checklist every gritty 80s tropes or something to me (asshole military/politicians, gore, crapsack world, etc.)

After seeing mellowlink recently I am in for some 80s cheese so yeah going to watch it.

I think its a bit of a shame most "testosterone fuelled" content as been channelled to videogames and other media, animation either in Japan or the west is frankly boring.

another thing i find funny about golgo is that, while some people liken him to a japanese-007 type character, he's actually a total scumbag with zero class besides the suit. they missed the mark if they were going for a classy british agent sort of character, but that just makes it more funny

It's 80s as fuck. Good OPs too. I kind of miss that wave of 80s nostalgia that gave us this, Birdy, and Cobra.

sakigake!! otokojuku is probably the most manly anime, in my opinion

I feel some of the movies hold up and the TV series is fun, especially when Duke Togo gets to assassinate a Donald Trump lookalike. The TV series also had kind of a "Case Closed in Reverse" kind of feel at times with all of the preparations Duke Togo would sometimes do to pull off a job.

He never really was a 007 type at all IMO. He's more like The Punisher with OCD.

i know, but that's how people often describe him

>ninja slayer
fucking trash

Who is this handsome fella? Im GAR for him.

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

the same is true of 90's games. doom, diablo, quake, etc.

i don't know what it is, but nothing modern has the same feel to it. every time a modern game tries to be dark and serious it just comes off as cheesy and dumb. kind of sucks.

80's/90's games and anime were better, no doubt.

Not that I disagree with you, but look where the fuck you are, faggot. People tell eachother to kill themselves all the time here. Writing up all of this nonsense just because someone disagrees with you is silly. Learn to roll with the punches, faggot.

you grew faggot, that is all.
get away of the nostalgia googles

that's not it. new games are objectively worse. they're watered down to appeal to a wider audience.

You wa shock!

Nope. Haven't seen any anime like that recently.

Its not nostalgia. The user is right, Sure we pick and choose the best with hindisght, but there were clear distinctive aesthetic choices.

Unless you to tell me Doom original cyberdemon even compares to the modern one.

Fantasy in shit like Hexen was dark and gothic, styles just changed.
The only series that tries to actually look dark in fantasy is the Souls series.

>muh jojo
fucking cancer

can't have a manly anime thread hit the archive with so few posts

bump

Are those highschool students?

My theory is that the transition period from niche hobby based to full blown industry has the best content-to-quality ratio
Doom, morrowind, earthbound, early metal gears, you name it. Their predecessors were made at a time where both the people making and people playing them were almost exclusively hardcore fans. When the surge in popularity happenned, the creators had a sudden growth in money and manpower to make bigger games, and for a while they stood unspoiled. Then after they reached critical mass and the men in suits started taking notice, the great watering down came in full force.
I think it followed a similar structure for every medium, games evolved the fastest because they're the youngest one so far.

yes they are.

Testosterone is deprecated, estrogen is the future.

>earthbound, early metal gears
>good
opinion fucking discarded

This is also true. But I dont think its the whole case.

Niche hobbies like comics and D&D for example remain vibrant. SO yeah.

Comics were like that too IIRC. Isn't the 80s-90s the era of deep and mature 'graphic novels' (they even popularized the term at the time)?

nigga
have you seen the actual state of comics?
i give you D&D thought

yeah, but there's also been a shift in culture, just as said

>Animes
Fuck off.

You have too dig deep in the US, Europe still does amazing as well, not on the level as before but hell.

They remain vibrant because they are niche. The hardcore audience never goes away, it's the signal to noise ratio that gets fucked and makes people nostalgic. The existence of malfags/jojofags/casuals in general didn't stop Sup Forums from growing. And Sup Forums is still mostly hardcore anime fans as it's always been, with newfags wandering in.
And yeah, there are other factors like the homogenization and lack of personality and integrity present in all modern media, cultural shifts etc, mentioned in this thread.
>not realising i was pulling examples out of my ass as stand-ins for [insert game user considers good from decades ago here]
Alright, there should be bleach and ammonia somewhere in your house. I want you to grab them for me real quick.

>cutesy, relatively "light", kind, funny, escapist works

pure unmitigated cancer imo

I think there is some hope on the generation z however. Maybe.

My younger cousin is a Sup Forums fucktard without even going here, and only listen to synthwave.

jojo parts 1-3 are fantastic, especially compared to all the moe bullshit that's popular here

I unironically agree with that Urobuchi quote. You need adversity in a story, else it's just escapist bullshit.

I suppose I should've expected Sup Forums and Sup Forums talk in a thread like this.

Go fuck yourself, NS was great.

I'm up to part 5 of the manga, jojo's pretty unique in the way it goes about things. Not necessarily good, but a unique and fun ride.
Jojofags, however, are human trash.
Personally i've noticed a cultural backswing in the west. It's looking somewhat promising.
Also synthwave is the shit, though limiting your taste to just one type of anything is objectively plebeian.

Anyone else watch angel cop? It's like edgier dirty Harry with cyberpunk and hot women

Hes 15 he cant help it to limit himself, dont worry I introduce him to Metal and Prog, Kraut Rock as well.

That seems like a huge generalization, but even pretending it were true, explain to me what's inherently bad about escapism as far as quality of the actual work. That means without referring to supposed real life consequences/factors like "it makes you a fat NEET with no girlfriend and also stupid!"

Sup Forums hivemimd ladies and gents

It seems like a huge generalisation because it is a huge generalisation.
Escapism, however, is inherently wrong not because it'll make you into a piece of shit, but because the idea behind it is unhealthy by default. The literal definition is that you're escaping into a fantasy world/scenario because you're running away from your own. Now, the viewer/reader/player/masturbator can do this with any work, which doesn't mean every work is escapist. However, shows like SAO are designed to cater to escapism, and that's effort not put into the quality of the show. In fact, if a work is made to cater to escapism, quality is probably an afterthought.
Iyashikei is in a gray area. Personally i dislike it, but i recognise it has merits.

> the idea behind it is unhealthy by default
I'd say thats a real world consideration and nothing about the quality of the work.
>The literal definition is that you're escaping into a fantasy world/scenario because you're running away from your own.
There's not even anything wrong with this in moderation. The only way you could claim that is if you think everyone needs to constantly confront any issue that may be lurking, which is dumb as fuck - if you want to ignore some shitty stuff for a few hours, there's nothing unhealthy about that. Now, if you're you're going to repeat it and ignore the shitty stuff for weeks on end until it kills you or gets you fired or whatever, then that's unhealthy, but that's a specific circumstance.
> However, shows like SAO are designed to cater to escapism, and that's effort not put into the quality of the show. In fact, if a work is made to cater to escapism, quality is probably an afterthought.
>probably
Then it's not inherently wrong.

The fact that you specified 'without mentioning real world factors' says more about what's wrong with escapism than anything i could write up.

Real world consequences have nothing to do with the quality of a work of fiction. A work that creates school shooters could still be a great work.