I've been rewarching Haruhi and I've realized this show has not withstood the test of time. It's not funny...

I've been rewarching Haruhi and I've realized this show has not withstood the test of time. It's not funny, every character except Haruhi is boring, the plot is boring, the arcs drag on, and the animation and music are lackluster.

Nostalgia is the only thing that keeps this show relevant. That and Endless Eight memes.

None of that is true though

I only watched it for the first time last year and it was one of the best I've seen.

Normally I avoid the Sup Forums meme-tier anime but I really liked it, so I'd say it stands up today for sure

The first season is still great. Second season was shit except for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

It's the "Seinfeld isn't funny" meme.

Seinfeld is funny. Haruhi isn't.

Every supporting character being a n anime trope isn't "xD hehe lmao" material anymore.

>deadpan flatchested girl

>big breasted shy idiot

> yaoi bait

Sure the show is self aware, at least enough to try to parody some common anime tropes, but pointing out an overused trope isn't enough to make something a parody, or even funny. The characters for all intents and purposes are played completely straight. The interactions are bland.

The show depends on the 12 year old sense of humor of "recognize this meme? Aren't we so funny for acknowledging tropes xD?"

>The animation and music are lackluster
This is simply objectively false.

I rewatched Haruhi last december.
I was planning on watching one episode every day but it was so good I ended marathoning the whole thing.
I still can't decide which is my favorite episode. Bamboo leaf rhapsody or Day of Sagitarius.

My favorite episode is the movie

I SAY I SAY MY HEAVEN!

>this can't withstand the test of time cuz I don't like it now

Yeah no

except endless shit, Haruhi is pretty good to be fair.

As somebody who has never watched Haruhi, should I watch it?

DO IT FAGGOT!

Yes, in broadcast order.

You might as well, it's not going anywhere.
Then again, it's not going anywhere, so what's the point?

Live Alive is objectively the best episode of all time.

>>>/reddit/

>I can't come up with an answer
>le reddit

Lurk 2 years before posting

tied with Someday in the Rain

also OP has shit taste and fuck Tanigawa for not finishing his story

Except the show barely ever points out the tropey nature of the characters. You can straight ignore all of that and take them for what they are, characters with their own motives, agenda and personality.

I can say that ive watched the movie at least 3 or 4 times so i disagree

>an answer
To what? Your shallow analysis on the characters in Haruhi?
I don't see what you're asking for at all.

Haruhi is not some grand intelligent satire on anime though, it doesn't even try to be that.
It has characters that are literal tropes, but circumstances make them much more interesting than the generic trope BECAUSE of Haruhi.
It's what she wanted!

EIIIIIIGHT
FUUUUCKING
WEEEEEKS

>personality

That's stretching it. The characters are 2 dimensional cardboard cutouts. They're only there to entertain Haruhi. The entire show depends on you having enough stamina to grit your teeth and deal with all the mediocrity to be able to enjoy Haruhi, the one good character.

>shallow

Implying there's anything more to say about them. But I don't know what I expected from an avatarfag. Get a trip so I can filter you.

>That's stretching it. The characters are 2 dimensional cardboard cutouts. They're only there to entertain Haruhi
Not really. Nagato doesn't even try to entertain her, and Koizumi only assists in some ways, so that only applies to present Mikuru, which is the only one to fit your description, but still has a character with her future version.
Nagato and Koizumi have both their own motives. Nagato did lots of egotistical yet justified stuff in Disappearance. Koizumi wants the best for Haruhi but is conflicted because of his place in this whole mess and the strain it puts on him, trying to win over Kyon but not display all his cards at once. Kyon pretty much has more character than Haruhi.

>avatarfag
That was my first post, in this thread. I don't know how you can ever come to that conclusion.

>to be able to enjoy Haruhi, the one good character

Haruhi pls go

>Haruhi
>the one good character.
?????

where's my goddamn season 3

But that's the reason I dropped it.

The fact tat they don't try to entertain her intentionally doesn't mean that isn't their sole purpose. They only exist because Haruhi wanted them to. Their personalities are like that because it's what Haruhi envisioned as being the perfect dynamic. Whether they like it or not they're part of her little ensemble.

>Disappearance

Is still solid. Best part of the series desu.

>Koizumi wants the best for Haruhi but is conflicted because of his place in this whole mess and the strain it puts on him, trying to win over Kyon but not display all his cards at once

That's pretty reaching. The only character that gets any meaningful internal conflict is Nagato.

In the good timeline, i.e. not this one.

I watched it around 3 weeks ago. It was mediocre. I enjoyed watching it but it wasn't as good as people make it out to be.
Disappearance was also OKAY. It wasn't like holy shit oh my god this show is so fucking good.
All it really gets is a nod of approval. Nothing more.

>meaningful internal conflict
>Nagato
It was really Kyon's internal conflict, though. He's the narrator.

>implying you enjoy Nagato, the literal non-character with 15 seconds of screentime each episode

>implying you enjoy Koizumi, yaoi bait 2 electric boogaloo

>implying you enjoy tittybait

That leaves either Kyon or Haruhi

Enough people out there must like those characters though, as they all got their own spin-offs.

>The fact tat they don't try to entertain her intentionally doesn't mean that isn't their sole purpose. They only exist because Haruhi wanted them to. Their personalities are like that because it's what Haruhi envisioned as being the perfect dynamic. Whether they like it or not they're part of her little ensemble.
Except 80% of what they do is unknown to Haruhi. Only their facade is Haruhi's doing (and even that crumbles as the story advances)

>That's pretty reaching. The only character that gets any meaningful internal conflict is Nagato.
Not really, we've seen him being jealous of Kyon, we've seen him tired of his job and trying to fix stuff, and we've seen him trying to get Kyon to cooperate. Koizumi keeps his real persona secret but his dialogues tell a lot about himself.

Nagato had one too, although it was not directly narrated (except in the ending song)

Nagato wouldn't stand on her own, but she works fine in a group. And she gets more personality later, as her development implies.
Koizumi is good. Tittybait sucks but future tittybait is okay.

Kyon and Haruhi carry most of the thing anyway, since Kyon keeps talking all the fucking time and Haruhi takes the spotlight everytime she's on screen.

These characters all get much more interesting if you read the novels though.

Especially Mikuru, in my opinion.

Which is my point though, if you're going to slog through mediocre characters in the main cast just to get your fill of best girl, why not just watch something like Haiyore Nyaruko-san that doesn't even pretend to give a shit about its supporting cast?

What didn't you like about it?

The show kinda glossed over the fact Mikuru might be literal tittybait for Kyon, right? That's too bad since other than that and her future self (retroactively) she really develops after the movie.

But the best girl is Haruhi, Nagato sets up the movie and lots of other stuff and Koizumi is like a third of the show. They all contribute but they don't hog the spotlight.

It's like how Mulder is always the one going on about aliens and 'believing' but in the end he's a rationalist looking for evidence and Scully is the one who sees the evidence but identifies with the spiritual.

Why would it be tittybait for Kyon if the world revolved around Haruhi?

Thats the whole story if you think about it.

He's the key.

Who's the God then Sup Forums?

Haruhi, Kyon or both?

See

If you have to ask then go rewatch the anime.

Going with both since it sounds more fun

It's implied in the novels that Kyon is the one with the power to influence over who can attain 'godly' powers. I.e. Sasaki & Haruhi. Especially after the whole anti-SOS brigade shenanigans, it seems pretty clear Kyon is more important than an average guy

You clearly didn't pay much attention.
One of the most important questions is "Why Kyon?"

Don't be dumb, the test of time has nothing to do with your personal preferences. All that matters is how widely remembered a show is years after airing and what the consensus opinion on it is. So haruhi does withstand the test of time regardless of your feelings.

I didn't dislike it, I just didn't like it enough to bother, I guess. If I disliked one thing, it was the story style, with going back and forth in time. I'm thinking of starting it again, but chronologically (the DVD/BD order, I believe). That way might be easier to follow, making it more fun.

Not if we don't get that damn s3 soon

The broadcast order.

So this year for sure?

>he doesn't know

>shit taste

My man.

Someday in The Rain is hands down the best episode of Haruhi. Let's enumerate the ways:

1. The direction is actually incredible.
2. The misdirect at the end.
3. The way it flawlessly sets up the movie.
4. The fact that it can't even be understood until rewatching in chrono order after having seen the movie.
5. Despite all this it was broadcast in the FIRST season.
6. The callback at the end of disappearance.

Lots of people love Someday in The Rain, but I'd argue it's still underappreciated. It's one of the best episodes of anime ever produced.

Know what?

Someday in the Rain would be much better without music.
The soundtrack ruins it.

It really aged like shit. Looks like shit, has shit writing, has shit characters, has shit plot.

>implying Endless Eight memes are still relevant
Haruhi is amazingly subtle and this is what makes it re-watchable. Every time I've revisited the show a different episode stands out to me and I notice something new in almost every episode.
This episode was awesome and was my favourite on first watch
This episode was also amazing. I love how on first watch it seems like a dumb boring episode then becomes something amazing and fun as you watch it again after seeing the season 2 episodes.
Anyone who doesn't like Haruhi obviously doesn't like subtle playing around with tropes or creating fun characters and putting them in scenarios where they can cleverly interact with each other.

Also the movie is my all time favourite movie. It just fits the show so perfectly and is unexpectedly different, yet still fits the series so well.

nah the shows way more boring in chronological order. the finale happens in episode 6 chronologically and the rest of the episodes are just side stories.

It's because you are watching boring shit like Haruhi instead of true masterpieces like Phantom World.

The PW OVA was pretty good though

Nu-Kyoanifags in a nutshell.

Konata shitting on it on 2chan pretty much cements it for me as an all-time favorite.
On a meta level, it's fascinating that Tanigawa wrote the script for Some Day in the Rain. He also did the script for the first episode of Sighs, 80% of which takes place in the clubroom. If you look through interviews, he apparently added a number of great little details throughout the series; e.g. the very last scene of Disappearance where Yuki covers her mouth with a book.
The only other screenwriting I'm aware of from him was helping Shinobu Yoshioka write the Black Rock Shooter OVA.

It's all the same shit. Poorly written LN trash.

For me it's either Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody or Melancholy I