Your Name: $288.8 million
Spirited Away: $289.1 million
Moana: $408.1 million

Can tiny little nips even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is that Donkey Kong?

Is it bad that I used to know a girl who looked exactly like that?

We've all met one at some point, user.

Moana also cost at least $150 to produce, and nearly that cost again to market.

Your Name couldn't have cost more than $20m, tops, because that Ghibli budget territory, and there's no way the marketing costs are anywhere near that.

Free marketing by Sup Forums.

Which one of those had The Rock in it?

>Moana: $408.1 million
That's not even that good. Frozen's meme magic got into $1 billion+.

The irony is that the Polynesians themselves weren't happy with Moana (because they didn't like Maui being portrayed as a bullying oaf apparently).

Honestly let's address the elephant in the room, does ANYONE actually give a shit about cultural Disney movies like Moana? If you're going to think outside the box, do it with interesting cultures. Who gives a fuck about backwater islanders? The reason Lilo and Stitch saved itself was because it wasn't about Hawaii, but about family a general concept....with aliens.

But to pretend that blatantly outdated and minuscule cultures are intriguing? Get out, the box office numbers don't lie. Moana is doing worse than Wreck It Ralph.

No, it's pretty fucking terrible. It's only just making a profit now, after having been out for over a month, while Frozen was taking over the world, and hasn't gone away. Moana's already been forgotten.

I live in Hawaii
People don't even really care that much about it here, they're just glad a local girl got an important part in a disney movie
Most people here acknowledge that the movie is only based on polynesian mythology and isn't supposed to be directly about it so they don't care that much about it

Nice excuses and made-up numbers. Just face it: assembly-line western productions consistently make even runaway successes from the elevens look small time.

Little girls don't want to be chieftains of fucking huts. They want big Germanic fairytale castles, and horses, and servants, and ballrooms, and large fluffy beds.

I'm also from Hawaii and I second this. No one here is pissed, people I know were actually pretty excited for it.

>The Rock beat meme magic

No shit, but specifically Moana isn't doing that hot.

This is true. The highest grossing film in Japan of all time has a gross that would be considered mediocre to a flop nowadays for a Disney production.

>Frozen's meme magic got into $1 billion+.

Your Name is about to go over Frozen and reached 10 billion yen faster than Frozen.

In Japan, at least.

You have to look at scale. Your Name also didn't cost ~$300m (based on previous WDAS films: Frozen, Zootopeia, BH6, WiW) to produce and market.

>Japanese film's meme magic is more powerful in its own country
It's not rocket science.

Frozen was huge in Japan though.

Yeah, it broke meme boundaries.

It just proves that the Rock was better draw than the Japanese outlaw animated movies.

go back to lgbt

because disney movies are marketed to a mass audience while anime is pandered to a niche audience

>meme magic
Why is Sup Forums on Sup Forums? Don't you people think anime is degenerate?

Disney is also marketed to the entire planet while it's unusual for anime to ever open wide outside of Japan and maybe China these days. And wide in Japan means maybe 1/10th of the screens in America alone.

Your Name: Absolute success.
Moana: Under performing.

Kimi no Na wa apologists in a nutshell.

Who cares? If any movie that doesn't make hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue is a failure then why would anyone besides American media conglomerates bother making films?

It was huge everywhere though it made the most in the US.

You do know Kimi no Na wa barely got a release in the US?

In those countries where it got a wide release, it's raked in money. Even down here every screening I've attended has been packed.

>mfw japs thought "let it go" was "ready go"

All boards belong to Sup Forums now.

Nice try, faggot. Go back to your containment board

No, Japan thought it was reddit go

The thing about Maui is that he's venerated across a massive swathe of the pacific, and you're never going to please all of them. So the Hawaii Maui is different from the Tongan Maui, the Samoan Maui and the Maui of New Zealand.

So no matter what version of Maui they took, they were never going to please all the many peoples who venerated Maui.

They can't.

I did as well, she works at wal-mart the last I've seen of her.

Every board is a containment board now.

What I don't understand is why Maui has to be so ugly. I seriously don't see the logic

I thought most of them were complaining that Maui was portrayed as big and kinda chunky. That that played into the stereotype that Polynesians were all fat when they only got that way due to the high-sodium diet introduced in the 20th century.
They are trying to make him look a but like Dwayne Johnson, who is just a bit dopey looking.
At least he can sing.
youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM