Is this 3d render or 2d hand draw?

I can't figure out.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P8suy-0jZlM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Need a webm as well to confirm. By the looks of it, it look hand drawn.

Looks hand drawn.

Which one? The characters or the background? The characters are hand drawn for sure.

I am not even OP but you guys are dumb. Looks 3d rendered to me OP.

There's no reason the characters couldn't have been positioned and posed in 3D, and drawn over like SHAFT does.
The background is definitely 3D with a bunch of lighting effects done in post.

Characters are drawn.
Background is 3d.

Characters are obviously 2D and the background is 3D.

So, this anime is shit, right?

I mean, it is, but it's great in every aspect but one.

Shame the writing is so atrocious.

It is from a mobage apparently and you know how they go.While I do watch some of them but I didnt pick this one up.

I wish I hadn't picked it up.

I can't drop it now that I noticed YuiKaori playing MCs.

Despite the all-star cast the girls are not really very likeable, though you could include that in the writing I guess. Those monster designs are pathetic too. Not to mention the CG backgrounds which are really jarring a lot of the time. It just generally screams "We have tons of money to invest in this anime but we don't know what to do with it."

If the writing wasn't so absolutely cliche, it would be fantastic.

But as it stands, it feels almost like a parody of '90s anime except it has above-average 2010s production values.

If they didn't spend 90% of the budget on the first episode and they are able to keep the animation quality. Then I will watch it to the end.

Yes.

It reeks of 3D rendering that's been traced over. You can usually tell by the eyes. The 3d render has a 3 dimensional face and thus a slight convex curve between the eyes. When they draw over this, the eyes appear to be flatly affixed to a surface that isn't flat. The usual sense of depth from drawing and shading is absent and instead it looks like two flat surfaces intersecting at a small angle, without actually crossing.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if something seems 3d because it actually is, or because the digital colouring job was so lazy that they just put a flat flesh-tone gradient over a large surface and created an uncanny lack of colour variation.

Kaori is Tsubame right?

>implying I remember any of the names
She's the one that looks like Maru and dresses in pink.

Yui's the twintailed loli.

There's also Sawashiro who's the titty monster, KanaHana who's the usual retard (in OP together with Sawashiro's character), and Rina Hidaka who plays the other loli.

IIRC there were other big names in the other two squads. I recognized someone in the first one, but I don't remember... and then the second squad had Yuu Kobayashi. Oh, and Kugyu played that mascot roomba thing.

>Sawashiro who's the titty monster, KanaHana who's the usual retard (in OP together with Sawashiro's character), and Rina Hidaka who plays the other loli.
>yuu kobayashi
>kugyu
Oh fuck, the previous post saying it got crazy va line up isnt joking.Welp, I guess I'm gonna check out the first episode then.

traced over 3d render

>KanaHana who's the usual retard
I didn't even notice. I guess it's been a while since I've heard her.

Don't do it, user.

I don't think I'll be able to drop it, because I kinda feel like I have to watch it due to the cast (and the animation tbqdesu). But man does the writing suck.

I feel like this will be a shit ride but I need my Maru fix.

Too late.Hopefully more user will be snared in

Probably but I've been surprised before. I was on the verge of dropping Ange Vierge but it got me hard by the third and fourth episode.

So I'll be giving the the four episode rule.

YuiKaori are also singing the Akiba's Trip ED, by the way.
youtube.com/watch?v=P8suy-0jZlM

Didn't recognize them as VAs though.

>that sword swing towards the viewer
Noice.

>that drastic style and pace change between keyframes and in-betweens.
They must not have bothered to send the models to the koreans.

That's some intense sakuga

I wonder how do they achieve this sharpness.

If you get something older like Oreimo, SAO, Love Live. They don't look as nearly as sharp as this anime.

Higher ress and overall quality control on the art probably.

Literally in the OP, user.
All the motion is done with 3D models on a 3D background. Then they draw some 2D details over the model to hide the fact that it's 3D.

The "sharpness" you're talking about is just the fact that there's none of the stylistic techniques used in traditional 2D animation to help convey the speed, weight or dynamic qualities of movement. Because there's less animator work involved in "drawing" each keyframe, each frame can afford to be almost completely uniform in its detailing. The result is the uncanny consistency of 3D motion with 2D filming techniques used to eliminate some of its robotic and lifeless qualities.

I think it looks fucking awful, but it's hardly a mortal sin considering this is a seiyuu anime anyways.

I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

I mean, it's no Occultic 9.

>The result is the uncanny consistency of 3D motion with 2D filming techniques used to eliminate some of its robotic and lifeless qualities.
If it can tone down QUALITY I think its great.

Man I really don't know how to feel about this one. Everything is so well-produced and it's a VA fiesta but I was bored out my mind during the entirety of the first episode with a moment of arousal when the bikini team showed up.

I would say the true give away is the more simple movements they make. They're definitely all drawings, there's no cel-shading or anything like that going on. But it's definitely fishy looking. They're drawing over simply key-framed models I think.

When it comes down to it, a perfect clinical 2D animation should be able to look like a cel-shaded 3D animation, but there's always the issue of inbetweening. Even discounting the 3D accuracy accuracy of the key frames (which will always be done by a more talented artist), inbetweening, unless the inbetweener is expending a ton of mental energy, is still fundamentally a 2D process, so when we have a computer inbetweening a character through 3D space, it's perfect to an extent a human inbetweener is unlikely to achieve.

Apologies for this gif being a gif rather than webm

Look at dem fabric wrinkles boi.

it's okay, i'm glad I heard it's from a mobage though, now I can drop it without feeling bad

MC is best part, sadly she's not so great that she would've saved the show

What they do is animate the entire sequence in 3D and then take what are essentially snapshots of the 3D movement which the animators then draw over as keyframes. There's a distinct jerkiness to the animation in the actual episode that's evidence both of an originally smooth 3D motion that's had in-between motions removed, and of a lack of 2D transitioning effects. Part of why it looks weird is that the keyframes are chosen based on periodicity rather than distinctness or visibility in the motion. The inbetweens are almost indistinguishable from the keyframes as a result.

Oreimo, SAO, and Love Live were pretty sharp for their time though.

So I know JC Staff is the main animation studio for this one but who's the CG studio contracted?

>bikini squad
We've got space/idol, maid and bikini squad. Whats next?

Watch the ED.

There's angels, and... I don't know, some other stuff.

>cowtits everywhere
>not even a decent armpit
DROPPED

Not really, it looks hand drawn as a picture, show a webm and maybe we'll know what you're talking about.

>implying JC Staff couldn't do CG for their characters as well
I'm sure their background guys get riled up when they get different work.

>three ranged DPS
>one fists DPS
>one blades DPS
Why is this team match up so common

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I don't think this is quite right, if I'm understanding what you mean correctly. I don't think the original 3D animation was ever smooth besides a few select scenes that took more work ( ).

It looks to me like the animation in 3D was for the most part pretty simple. the scenes where the 2D workover haven't been particularly embellished look like they're taking the same key frames of the 3D animation to use as key frames in the 2D animation. Where that distinct jerkiness is coming from is that the simple 3D animations didn't have any easing (or cushioning) into and out of the key poses, and the 2D animators followed suit with the spacing/timing that was given to them in 3D.

Whats with the black overlay on some scenes? Epilepsy seizure filter?

Because in groups larger than 3, ranged is objectively better than melee. Multiple ranged is ideal, while two melee provide situational function, like dealing with high-mobility targets or providing a subduing blow to a large target suppressed by ranged fire.

It follows the anime logic that a melee blow will always hurt more than even the largest, strongest, gun, and that any important or humanoid antagonist will be completely immune to ranged fire by virtue of being too important to ever get shot.

Kanahana team pretty much got it covered, though this one seems happy to show some.

These kinds of action scenes really tells you just how good this anime is going to be even if all else fails.

Shit's pretty bland but the animation during the fight was top-notch. Now if they can keep that up pass the first episode then consider me at least in for that alone.

I cant into moon runes.

Looks like a lone "nothing personnel" wolf team too.

How does one get a job to do 3D CG for anime?

Ask Tires

That's very clearly an antagonist, user.

>PA works saving anime.
I found this too in the credits.

Well shit.A lone wolf type would be nice too.

Call me retarded but what's the plot of this supposed to be about? Monster of the week as per usual? Is it going to get serious?

Its mobage based, the fight will probably be. The ending? Nah, PLAY THE GAME.

>doesn't even know the plot
It's like you didn't even watch the episode.
Clearly, they are trying to figure out what these weird monsters are and also trying to become better as a team.

Look at all that sameface.