Anime Director

Netflix is looking for an international originals - anime director: jobs.netflix.com/jobs/860476

Why aren't you applying anons? Isn't your chance to be influent in the industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-24/netflix-to-stream-production-i.g-perfect-bones-anime-worldwide/.99052
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2016-02-25/netflix-brings-new-original-anime-series-perfect-bones-to-members-worldwide/.99067
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

As if anyone here has even the slightest qualifications.

That would technically really be quite interesting if some user grabbed that job and started making some original anime content that pleases both Japan and the rest of the world.

What the fuck even constitutes a "Netflix original"?

I watched my buddy going through his netflix queue the other day and several anime like Sidonia were labeled as "Netflix original" does netflix actually produce these anime? do they just fund them or what?

It's for the nips. No one else has that much required experience with anime.

Thanks, I will save anime.

""""experience"""""

Yes they produce them, which in industry terms means funding them.

>REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

-Extensive background in sourcing and developing anime content
-Solid relationships in the anime creative community (writers, producers, etc.)
-Demonstrated mastery of verbal and written communication skills including the ability to cultivate internal and external relationships
-Ability to work independently and change direction frequently
-Ability to manage and process detailed information while keeping perspective on the bigger picture
-Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally
-Excellent project and time management skills
-Demonstrated love and understanding of video content in multiple international markets
-Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is a must

So basically a nip director.

>They will contract RWBY producers and we all be damned for all eternity

"Knowledge of Japanese language highly preferred"
>nip director

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

>-Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is a must
I like how this is a qualification, as if they're going to reject any qualified director who can't use MS Office.

>BA/BS required
>At least 10 years of work experience is required with at least 5 years of development and/or production development
Who have worked at least 10 y in anime in the west?

Netflix original anime is an interesting prospect but I can't really imagine any good shows coming out of it

What if all the incompetent directors are bad because they can't use MS Office?

>Why aren't you applying anons? Isn't your chance to be influent in the industry?
Because Sup Forums is underage board.

Clearly they are looking for ex shaft employees

That would mean someone that has worked in anime since 2006-2007. That's a good chunk of people, since the west has been doing stuff with anime officially since the late 80's/90's.

Eh, Netflix would just fulfill the very same role like Warner Bros Japan or the Anime Consortium who also finance original anime.
Original anime can be a hit or a miss.

I don't see word "anime" in "10 years of work experience" phrase, which bothers me much

Will it be worse than Chinese anime?

There's probably a bunch of Frenchs or Koreans who do fulfill the qualifications.

A lie counts as experience, yes. I have 20 years of industry experience, speak fluent japanese and will create the best anime every. that anime will be so great it will blow your mind, better then the japanese anime. it will be huge bigger then china and more profit than apple

trust me

I can't afford living in Cali

Lack of Microsoft office ability is the cancer killing anime. Thank you Netflix for showing us the light

Not anime if its not made in japan.

What is BS BA?

Frozen is the best selling anime of all time.

Well yeah, that's why the director will have to work with producers and writers from the anime industry, who are all living in Japan. So the director will have to work with Japanese living in Japan making anime.

It seems more like they're looking to fund anime rather than make their own, it's not like they're trying to hire a full studio's worth of talent.

a bachelors degree, either in the arts or the sciences

>>BA/BS required
Didn't quite a number of animators graduate from technical colleges? Do they count as degree-granting institutions?

>What is the future of funding anime productions, then?

>Right now, video and music companies are very important in terms of funding and they represent a high percentage for the financing of anime. But I think the future belongs to platforms like Amazon or Netflix. They're taking a chance on anime and I think they will change the thinking about how it's done. Doing their own productions for their own platforms, the trend of funding anime productions is going to change.

It's only future of anime if you like anime, not idoltrash/fujotrash

Well, makes sense that they want to test out the waters before going full original, right?

>fund anime rather than make their own
Isn't that what they do with their original live-action series anyway? Funding in exchange for exclusive rights.

Let me show you your choices Sup Forums:

[ ] Garbage gritty sci-fi series that tries to emulate OVAs from the 90s in the worst way possible (eq. Under the Dog)
[ ] Obvious pandering cash-in of whatever is trendy at the time (eq. insert Aniplex original here)
[ ] Jesus fuck what are you doing (eq. It's just Sup Forums shit)
[ ] Oh screw it let's just bring back old but popular series to finally kill them (eq. FLCL, Big O)
[ ] One in a million creative masterpiece that saves anime and drastically pulls in favor from foreigners (eq. This is what Netflix wants to believe)

[ ] Fun things are fun (eq. Japanese Wakfu Japanese Totally Spies)

I don't get the feeling these things will flourish because there's little chance of it. Even among anime mainly produced within Japan, the number of anime that succeed are low. So, unless Netflix/CR/Amazon start pumping out as many anime, chances are we're not gonna get a hit anytime soon.

>Jesus fuck what are you doing (eq. It's just Sup Forums shit)
It's enough as long as normalfags lap it up.

Who knows user, they might take a chance on someone who made something popular with the west but that flopped in japan. We could get that sequel to [beloved series] thanks to this stuff.

I mean it's not likely, but it could happen.

>REAL anime fans support Netflix

Already a thing: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-24/netflix-to-stream-production-i.g-perfect-bones-anime-worldwide/.99052
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2016-02-25/netflix-brings-new-original-anime-series-perfect-bones-to-members-worldwide/.99067

If an user got a hold of making anime, we would get 5 Re:Zero's a year.

>When you have to work on projects with not much support from sponsors, how is it done?

>To work on original things you need money, and if you want to work in new anime, you are going to ask to sponsors that probably are going to say no to you. So when it comes time to make certain projects and you need a certain amount of money, you just have do it with less money.

>I don't want anyone telling me what I have to do, so I think the best way possible to avoid this is to go slowly. First you come up with the manga. Once the manga is successful enough, someone will come along willing to make the anime. That's how it works.

Yeah. Litteraly

What Netflix wants is however anime that their customer base wants to see.
They could easily make a questionnaire or just look at their own internal data what kind of anime their customers have so far watched.
If for example their customers were currently in a mood for watching science fiction stuff, they would probably have their director try to start an anime project that is something scifi-related.

Totally going for Totally spies.

Ladybug OVA Fucking never.

In terms of liklihood i'd say either 4 or 3.

In terms of what I'd be okay with, 1, 4, or 5.

>Totally Spies anime

FUCKING FUND IT
That was literally fetish fuel for all ages.

>US influence on anime
pls no

Already there one, it's called cat's eyes.

The US created anime by putting toxic disnyium into the atom bombs, we have a right to reap the spoils of our experiments.

Let me show you your choices Sup Forums:

[ ] Good Sci-fi series that emulate OVAs from the 90s
[ ] Show inspiring by western animation (P&S, LWA, Space Dandy)
[ ] Sequel for old but popular series. Original staff including
[ ] Creative masterpiece that saves anime

[ ] Fun things are fun

You can't do that though. It doesn't work that way. You can't just focus group creative projects into successes. What becomes a success, initially, almost never makes a whole lot of sense before it releases. Afterwards, there's a lot of 20/20 hindsight talk about oh yea this was going to be a success because of this or that. But then you have shit that everyone expected to be a hit not be a hit. Now, this is in regards to new shit, not like the next Gundam or something. And from a creative or production point of view, all you see is western companies with a lot of cash wanting their own anime. Your investment, unlike some of these people who work off of beans everyday to make their great otaku inspired masterpiece anime, isn't always likely to attract the greatest talent. Not to mention who knows what Amazon/western viewers want. They like RWBY. And there's a reason for that. Cause it was made by a western who like Anime. Not by a Japanese who like Anime.

>western SJW pandering shit like all the Netflix originals
No thanks

You forgot

[] Polygon pictures anime adaptations

Sidonia no Kishi and the upcoming BLAME! movie are considered as "Netflix" series.

If it's for fujoshit like Voltron then no.

RWBY is popular as fuck in Japan.

I personally wouldn't mind some French director. They do have often have good experience trying to make stuff that has a good international appeal, and probably know some french animators who do work in Japan.

hahahahaah epic my dude

Michael Arias, Thomas Romain, Cedric Herole, Bahi JD, Christophe Ferreira?

NON 3D LADY BUG

PLEASE

>-Solid relationships in the anime creative community (writers, producers, etc.)
Wow what a shit. Who the fuck has that?

Just means knowing people.

I highly doubt this

They did good with voltron and LWA might be a huge hit so netflix knows where it's at.

nope

Frog animators are either massive weebs or super pretentious and not the enjoyable kind of pretentious either. A washed up ruskie would be better.

Check niconico and pixiv

>BA/BS required
>Knowledge of Japanese language highly preferred
hahahaha

Thomas Romain definitely meets the qualifications and Michael Arias has directed multiple feature film anime. The others are less experienced though.

>Frog animators are either massive weebs or super pretentious and not the enjoyable kind of pretentious either.
>hurrr pretentious
Sup Forums degenerate, do you know that Gobelins is one of best animation school in world?

It's called networking you dummy, and people who are in the industry and have been for years have that.

The fact that they emphasize networking also pretty much guarantees they are going to go with a jap, jap corporate culture is all about knowing the right people to get your foot in the door. Much moreso than anywhere else.

He work with Satelight

Yeah, but the French animators know nip studios and nip producers and nip writers, which is important to make anime.

You need a good chain of connections, and the Baguettes still do have lots of experience working in Japan.

I would love some kind of reinterpretation of Once upon a time... Space.

Yeah sure I was just pointing out that there are in fact westerners that are qualified to do the work.

>Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is a must

I am okay with anything but the last one. 1, 2 and 5 are most likely what will happen though.

That's probably required to explain the Netflix execs what the anime will even be about so that they can then explain it to their consumers and investors what kind of anime they're funding in the first place.

What about
[ ] Pours tons of time and money into producing actually high quality anime rather than having a rushed production schedule and lots of meddling from production committees retarding creative freedom.

Ironically most people and even you don't know about 50% of functions in word, excel, and powerpoint

Nice joke.

>Muh best school in the world
Frenchie please, when's the last time one of your precious students did anything of real note that wasn't just a short or a kids movie? A decade ago, at least.

nope

lol that doesn't count as "popular as fuck" just because there is stuff on niconico and pixiv
people will throw up fan shit for just about anything on there

I think what you really mean is that its just slightly more popular than you would expect which is for it to not be popular at all

Nope isn't an argument they have done the job in the past and have the required length of experience.

If the anime was made for streaming and would have all episodes be ready at once, then that would be good.
One of the really big problems of modern late-night anime making is that the episodes have to be ready for TV broadcast, and it's all been booked in advance.

These dirty white piggu need to stay the fuck out of the industry. The last thing I need is the SJW fat acceptance agenda BS in my ching chong.

sure thing bro! whatever lets you sleep at night.

nope

Everyone who fullfills the criteria above and below it in the list.

Netflix has decided to become a major producer of content not just a distribution service.

They have plenty of original shows now. And they've produced the most expensive TV series ever made which was a 10 episode series costing 100 million dollars to produce.

It makes sense since if they're going to have trouble with companies licences across borders and what not. Why not make their own and dictate their own terms.

epic shitpost dude, literally LOLed irl

This board really isn't even worth posting on anymore. Bunch of ignorant morons that are more interested in shitposting and You's than discussing anime.

From everything we've seen netflix has a pretty hands off approach to content creation. Basically they operate on the principle that they choose the right people and give them money hoping for a unique final product which makes their service that much more desirable to fags who haven't bought in yet.

Just learn to ignore them, bro.

What kind of proof you need if niconico and pixiv not enough? Really.

>oh noes, they don't agree with me
>Y-YOUR KUST A BUNCH OF TROLLS, YOU DON'T ACTUALLY THINK THAT WAY