Dropped (((university))) and am starting as an electrical pre-apprentice tomorrow. Anyone have anything I should know?

Dropped (((university))) and am starting as an electrical pre-apprentice tomorrow. Anyone have anything I should know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mViO9mnCTBo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZuRn4mGxLas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Work hard.

That's how my brother started out. They called him a "helper". Do what your boss tells you and be quick about it.

Congrats sparky

It’s a decent living

Your coworkers will be the funniest people you’ve ever met

better a mile long than an inch short

I've also heard them referred to as "Apus."

Stay out of the way of the tin knockers, they are the total chads of the construction world. All other trades wish they were tin knockers, but most don't have the physical strength to handle heavy ductwork, or the mental prowess required to fit said large ductwork into overly tight areas. They are also the only trade who actually fab the materials they install.

Have fun bending 1/2" EMT tubing your whole career fuckface.

Lol, no

The only two trades that aren’t trash are pipe fitters and electricians

Congratulations. You have successfully dodged the University Jew.
Now begin your life as an electrical Jew.
Best advice if you'll be dealing with a lot of HVAC is to never let your guard down, ESPECIALLY after you're real comfy a few years into it.

The elevator union isnt bad. I mean yeah, it has its ups and downs but generally not that bad.

It's a comfy lifestyle. Learn enough of the basics and you can take it anywhere in the western world. I'm from Virginia, got married lived in the UK and now live in Ireland doing the exact same shit everywhere I've gone. It's the same things just with different names and labels. Good luck sparky-

Shut your mouth and do your job as efficiently as possible until you build a name and end your apprental unit training, (((unions))) don't like wrong think.
t.tinner

Why would you drop out of university? If you don't major in hop scotch and belly button lint scavenging you can get a decent job.

I kekd, corny as it was.

KEK, you're making us look like cunts user.

We

Lol amis

those standing seams really get my dick standing if you know what i mean

Worked for my dad's electrical company in teen years. Don't do residential, it's not worth you time.

Buy some nice steel toes, they're worth every penny

Try to get into termination or the hydraulic lines, pays the best, easiest work, best hours.

Don't be a fucking dumbass, and you'll do great.

A wild plumber appears.

Good choice OP. Once you finish the trade find an area to specialize in and go back to school for courses in said area. You'll make hand over fist in cash.

Source: Myself. Got the ticket 10 years ago, went back to take industrial power and control courses 3 years ago. Am now dual ticketed making $160k-$180k a year.

Yeah, me too. no shit this was one of two turret caps for a literal Mason. I fabbed these almost 15 years ago during my apprenticeship. I had bad ass elliptic 'spike' finials and he got all 'the work isn't finished' and made me uncap the pyramids

I didn't understand what you meant, could you explain please?

This.

You may not understand yet, but you'll hear it again.

>He doesn't know
Found the uni-cuck

Would love to get into electrical. IT manager before and now project management.....I hate IT. At 35, I feel my window has closed. Wish I started at 18

When the tin knocker shows you his path in the ceiling, put up a few sticks of pipe (not ones you are going to use) directly across his path to block him at several points. They'll think it's pretty funny.

just dropped in to say that your picture looks like a puckered asshole

(((unions))) can't discriminate because of age. Just prove your worth during your apprental unit phase and you will be golden. Remember, age means nothing, apprental units are paid to be bitches. get over it.

Listen to your JW. Learn everything you can. Don't give out any personal information. If they ask you to go out to the bars with them don't do it.

Also 1'' conduit is easy to bend if you can't bend it you're a fucking pussy. Stand on the bar if you have too but the minute you can't bend 1'' conduit you're fucked your entire career.

Don't loose your kleins. Don't fuck with welders.

Nah, I got into the apprenticeship at 33. While the 20-something's are showing up late, hung over, etc, you'll be the star apprentice. Hopefully you have the partying out of your system by now.

REEEEEE, I will fucing kill you Electricuck.
Death by a thousand cuts REEEEEEE

Is it easy to get work visa? I'm an aircraft mechanic and saw that they were in demand in the uk to fill technical quotas.

Thanks for the advice friends, I'm looking forward to this. Time for me to leave to fill out paperwork and get my hardhat. Wish me luck

Thou shalt not work on live (hot) equipment lest thou fry in thine own fat and thy friends console thy widow in ways unacceptable to thee.

The absolute truth of the world.

Get into controls. Bacnet, lonworks etc. BAS and the like is the future of the industry. Less dangerous and more pay.

Godspeed user and goodluck

oh so go back to the university to learn to code before chin and igor decide to blow up your switch

HVAC are the masters of all jobsites, Son.

Why not? I like making friends.

That's not what he's saying and you don't need to go to a uni to learn BACnet to a useful degree to work i the field.

Local 134 Chicago here, First and foremost BE ON TIME!! No sick days unless you are near death, let them send you home if you look/feel like shit. Think of nothing else in the universe but the job at hand. Listen to, and obey your foreman, then the JW's in that order. Be sure to write down tasks you need to get done for the day, and don't fuck up the lunch orders, carry a small notebook, looking at your phone seems like you're fucking around, the attitude on this is changing but not with old timers. Don't bitch about ANYTHING, everyone of us has had to physically exert ourselves and worked in horrific conditions, you'll sound like a pussy. Don't engage in job site gossip until you know who you can trust. Don't steal. Wear your safety equipment ALWAYS, especially safety glasses. Good luck kid, it's a tough gig, but well worth it (unless you're sitting home waiting for the next job like I'm doing right now) you'll learn invaluable skills, be able to do side work for cash (when you know what you're doing) and you'll make some great friends. A lot of guys are pretty based in construction, watch out for the democrat cocksuckers though. Cheers!

You're going to have to take a certain amount of shit with a good attitude.
Don’t stand around with your hands on your pockets. Stay off your phone. Pay attention, take notes if it seems important.
Stay safe, work hard, good luck.

Well it's nice to hear younger folks getting into the electrical trade. But you should really consider not joining the union.
Advice though... Be prepared for goofy fucks be all up in your way on jobsites.

What these anons said.

It isn't glamorous work but you'll always have a job.

Stay off the drugs.

Correct. Getting a tridium ax cert on your own isnt too tough, or any of the other controls protocols.

Yeah demand is huge for qualified guys, you might be taking a paycut though. Trades are more popular over here and not looked down upon as much. I think the going rate is 20-35 euro an hour

Depends on your area user, I started at 18 was vested by 24-25 in two pensions (yeah one will go bankrupt) and an employer funded 401k. I was free and clean of contractual obligations by 31. In my area non-union workers hate coworkers that were previously union but employers ride their dicks because 8 out of 10 times they have more knowledge, staying employed.

When I was an apprentice worked at the Cape on the big tankers. We worked about 50ft up in the air had some other apprentice buy a brand new pair of kleins and dropped them. Welders were down below told him don't drop'em again. He dropped'em again and by the time he got back down to pick'em up they welded them to the tanker. Funniest shit ever. Also if they're working above you they don't call out falling molten lava balls and they will hit you and fuck you up.

What's the word on electrical versus going in to welding? Been considering going in to welding, but are there ways to specialize that don't involve doing shit like underwater welding?

Are trades in big demand stateside? I heard you can get crazy money over there. Worst thing my friend said about being a sparky are the tall ladders and rats. The pranks construcution guys pull are funny
>Glass hammer
>Long ladder
>Sky hook
>Get me the bubble for the level.
Anyone have other jokes? haha

So many autistic tradies are Sup Forumsacks
*wanting to know who in my area intensifies*

Here in NC, the union is a joke. Perhaps the training is better up north where they seem to have a lock down on electrical work. The brief time I spent on a union job though was a horrible experience. I have honestly never seen such bad work being done by so called journeymen.

What were you taking in uni?
It'll probably be perfect for you if those (((parentheses))) were unironic, but I personally can't stand the majority of my coworkers.
The vast majority of them are racist, sexist, scientifically illiterate, entitled manchildren

>Go ask foreman for a new rubber hammer
>Tell the fire system guys they need to move their stuff it's in our way

Always a good one.

Electrical makes good dosh. Traveling makes about $100k-$120k depends on where you go. California is best to travel too.

Depends on the area my dude, some areas need help bad but are high tax high cost of living. You have to skate to where the puck is going sometimes.
>I have my own terminology when working apprental units
>the ching-us
>the doo-dah
"Goddammit you take the Ching-us you smack it with the doo-dah and bing bang boom off to the moon, ffs sake it's not that hard aprrental unit #---" I give apprrental units numbers until they prove themselves then make a big deal about them getting a proper nickname.

Bcuz it's more fun working with shit then sitting and cramming for engineering exams.

Why would you go to college? I learnt move reading books and doing tutorials on youtube than in college. College is good for making contacts and some of the smaller tutorials. Everything else is your paying some guy to read a powerpoint to you

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs for sure, kind of why unions are a joke these days in some regions. In AK unless the guys are super specialized union hands are usually much better

I didn't go to college I went to trade school? Maybe you replied to the wrong person m8.

Can a Moortuguese make it? I wish I could move to Canada or the US and learn a trade.

Bring sexy female relatives pl0x.
Look into it Portu-bro winds are changing with our immigration for sure.

Just expect to be treated like shit as a CW. Be on time, be willing to learn and be efficient. And get into the apprenticeship as soon as you can.

Sad indeed... And with the average age of electricians being 55, the future looks dim. (no pun intended.)
However, if I can find good helps years down the road, being mid 30's now, self employed, and holding a license in my state that less than 20 people younger than me have; means I'll be able to charge whatever I want in the years to come.... Gotta find that good help though!

Dont play with your phone. Period.

Awesome, I wish you luck. I have found ex-military and the occasional fuck-up kid that just needs a firm hand and a chance make great apprental units.

Also, drive American and buy American.

The IBEW is full of shit. Another democrat scam organization. There are so many Journeymen in it that don't even know how to read a fucking residential blueprint.

What is adult learning, they provide material and conditions to learn. Somewhere down the line union workers forgot that is it up to them to be the tradie they want to be.

I like portuguese girls as much as you but I don't see how that is possible.

For real tough I'm either going to the UK to study CS or Industrial design or if I could go to canada and learn a trade, I'll look into it.

>wire stretcher

Always fun to send an apprentice looking for one. But best time to bring it up is during those excruciating 10 seconds of panic when it is discovered the $10k wire is too short. Made a dude choke on his spit.

What's the license?

Well as you know I'm not union so I won't say brother... But instead, thanks step-brother for the well wishes and advice. Plenty of ex military here and definitely lots of fuck-ups! So yeah, perhaps I'll have to try and whip a few into shape and make a tradesman out of em.

As far as OP goes... Well good luck to you man! There's a million ways to do lots of things you're gonna be doing. Get trained by someone who does them right! It's easy to tell, even without knowledge, if someone's doing shitty work. Take pride in what you're work. Many don't!

Hardworking tradies are all brothers. I'm not a koolaid union member, I respect free association and talent 1st and foremost Brother.

We consider you guys lost Brothers and hope one day you will come home.

Not sure if you're in NC...
But basically it's an electrical contracting license.
I'm limited to under 600V, and $50,000 per project. That's it. Jobs can be commercial, industrial, or residential.
There's shittier "specialty" licenses a person can get here with a lot less needed to take the exam. But they're highly restricted as far as scope of work that can be done.
There's also an "unlimited" license, but you've gotta prove bonding ability with a bank and bunch of other stuff. I don't plan on wiring football stadiums or high rises anytime soon, so it's not needed for me.

IBEW usually dont do residential, that basic bitch beaner-tier. They are too overqualified to crawl around in attics (unless its side work).

My paycheck and benefits say otherwise (not being a cunt) a lot of us are just Riding the Tiger user.

Trips of truth?

Welding is a great hobby. Not a great career. Go with pipefitting or maybe plumbing if you want to weld stuff and have a decent life.

youtube.com/watch?v=mViO9mnCTBo

>be me
>tinner
>Tfw the description of tinsmith is true

IBEW doesnt descriminate for age anymore. Go in and take the tests, score high and they will love you, as well as your background. At first you will be making way less money BUT you will find that you are much happier. Later on you can apply your previous skillset to programmable logic controls, bank and be ecstatic you left that cubicle culture bullshit behind.

Use your fucking head, the life you save might be your own....

don't get caught fucking around on your phone or otherwise playing with your balls

also don't act all faggy

Live your life while you still can!

This one's good too.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZuRn4mGxLas

It's a good trade that they can't take away, not as long as people still use electricity.

LEL, so fucking true Eletricucks are such assholes, even HVAC Control guys (think tinner electricians) are the same. My sides are in orbit. I always make good with electricians because of this.

Tin workers and elevator unions are two of the best paying trades.

Which is forever

I prefer to work with live wires.

One of the best lessons I was taught early on in my career was, "sometimes you gotta be an asshole".... It's very true! Except the longer I do this, it's more of an all the time thing, not just sometimes.

Fuck you Senpai

you're in a cult, but thats alright. theres also a small chance to you'll get electrocuted to death

>Machinist
King of trades. Nothing else comes close.

Checked... Dickhead.

Learn all you can and be smart with your money.You are on a really good path user

yeah, dont blow your self up...lol

Bro flea laborer here.