What are y'alls thoughts on a comp sci major advance enlisting in the air force with 40+ hours going into Cyber Systems...

What are y'alls thoughts on a comp sci major advance enlisting in the air force with 40+ hours going into Cyber Systems Operations(3d0x3) or Network Admin(3d1x2). Finish up my degree debt free and get some certs along the way during the time I serve. Anybody have any advice on this?

Cyber systems Operations(3d0x2)****

if you have a degree go officer

I do not yet. I still have 2 more years.

You are fucking retarded if you do that. At least go ROTC and serve your time as an officer after college.

finish your degree and go officer, then

Listen to this advice otherwise you are going to end up being the com tech guy for a bunch of army guys, you will be the most valuable target to the enemy because of this and you will wonder what the fuck you even joined the air force for.

Buddy of mine took the same path. Hes stationed in fucking Hawaii and will come out worth 100k/yr. Im honestly jelly.

ROTC sucks and is a shit load of work, I have friends in it and they're busy just about every weekend. Join the air guard instead, more benefits for less work. Good summer job too, and reusme builder. You can commision after you graduate, don't listen to the anons saying its bad to be enlisted.

>t. zero debt 3 delta

E-1 1,599.84 per month
O-1 $3,034.87 per month and that as close as it gets. suck it up, and go officer.

Everybody says go officer for this stuff. I honestly am not looking for a career in the military and don't want to get out when I'm in my 30s.If I enlist at my age now, 20, I would get out around 24-26. I'm just looking for experience, that helps me on my career path, instead of being in a bullshit uni where I can learn everything my self. It just seems like a waste of time and money continuing on the path I'm on right now

Damn he got lucky. Was he a 3D0x2 or a 3D1x2?

Yes but you're neither when you're in college doing ROTC. So get paid as an E-3/E-4 (most don't come in as an E-1) plus any other career bonuses you can snag while going to school, then commission.
Also stay part time and make even more on the civilian side.

it is both a waste of time and money, but take it from some one with over a decade of technical knowledge in my career field but with out a college degree, jobs are tough to come by. Some recruiters will immediately take my resume out because I dont have a degree.
Almost nothing looks better on a resume than being an officer in the US military.
are you talking about the reserves or guard. I was AD so I dont know anything about that side of it.

How are you doing in school user?

Go 3E3 and join a red horse unit. I love it. Got my civil engineering degree and because of the experience got a GS-11 slot on base.

The air force is for niggers and faggots. Drink bleach and don't waste my tax money

The guard. There's bad retention for cyber jobs because they pay so much better in the civvy world, so it's pretty easy to find officer slots.

Good idea but it's not going to matter what you do. If you're putting this much forethought into your future you're already way ahead of the game. Just keep your mind on right and you'll be fine.

thats it bro, get a job with a TS clearance and you can basically start print your own money

dont listen to this idiot. it matters very much what you do!

I was an officer and got out at 26... I think that's pretty normal unless you get an extended contract somehow like pilots.

My gpa is currently a 3.0. Not great but I think I can bring it up in my later years if I decide to go the officer route since I'm pretty sure you need at least a 3.0 to get in.

What if I still get my degree while I was enlisted? My idea was to just finish up school while I'm enlisted and get some certifications. I honestly thought this would look better on a resume than being in a uni

Did you only have to serve 4 years?

Join the guard and you can go to uni and be in the military at the same time, best of both worlds. Only cert the Air Force will give you is Sec+ and only if you go to 3D school.

>not being recruited to cyber command thanks to god-tier shitposting
fucking pleb

They are going to push you to get your degree while enlisted and depending on your time management skills and motivation levels...maybe you will.
So lets say you enlist for 4 years, its going to be shitty dorm life for 3 of those years, your constantly going to be pulled for stupid squadron BS, and your not going to make that much money compared to an officer. Officer life is cool because you get housing allowance as soon as you get to your base as well as food money. its just so much more money and on a resume it looks alot better than being an E-4

Do officers receive debt relief from pursuing a degree once they enlist? I saved enough money to pay for half of my college so I will most likely be in some debt by the time I graduate. I really don't like the idea of going into debt

If you're doing okay, you should probably stick it out and complete your degree. You probably don't want to hear that, but take it from someone who's been there. Buckle down and finish your degree. Many who enlist go in with an idealized set of plans only to find out that life gets in the way. You get married, deployed, or just get busy with work or whatever. You get comfy suckling from Uncle Sam's massive teat and then twenty years, two divorces, and a chronic knee injury later, you haven't accomplished anything you set out to do. Trust me, I've seen it happen. Finish your degree and if you still want to try a career in the military, go officer.

Some get that worked into their contracts. If you are still in school go talk to the folks at your ROTC office about what they can do. If you already have a degree before you join your options are enlisting and dropping a packet to go to OCS or finding a Warrant Officer slot somewhere. But regardless listen to all the advice given and find a way to become an officer rather than enlisting if possible.

1N4 OP.
Also goodfellow is shit
t. 1A8X1 whos stuck here

dont have to have your degree already to join the Marines. Go Marine Corps.

What are you talking about? A video game? Games are cool. I say do it.

How many years do you have left of your degree? Cyber guys are in demand right now, so you've a good chance of getting a ROTC scholarship if you join up. Also they've got new programs allowing people with two or even one year left to go through, and even if that isn't an option, they'll probably take you in OTS. There is literally no reason not to go Officer if you want to join, training is easier, the pay is obscene, the benefits are aplenty, the culture is better, I could go on. Plus if you decide to stay in it'll set you up in a good position to make a real difference in the world.

t. butterbar

Right now in the Air Force, that's gonna be tough. ROTC is fine but OTS has like a 2 year backlog.

Minimum commitment for officers is only 4 years IIRC (except for pilots and a few other AFSCs)

this dude is exactly right, as a former enlisted member i can attest to all of this.
have you though about army or navy, at least go talk to the recruiters see what they can offer you before you decide. you might get a sweet deal.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it

also there is a Military enlistment general /meg/ on /k/, it's a good resource

who /butterbar/ here