I'm stuck with fucking HorribleSubs shit for nearly everything from the past year or so that I've wanted to watch...

I'm stuck with fucking HorribleSubs shit for nearly everything from the past year or so that I've wanted to watch. What happened to subgroups?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=20PwaJYcnuk
twitter.com/WaryasBe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Horriblesubs didn't release LWA so asenshi subbed it.

CrunchyRoll simulcasts slowly killed off the fansub scene. The early 2010s was probably the last time that fansubs were still prominent and something you could expect for every show.

There was literally no way they could compete with Crunchyroll/Horriblesubs

The cartel extended its tentacles and absorbed every relevant subgroup while killing minor ones. Then at the same time it killed itself. See

Fansubbers trapped themselves in a box of being all about speedsubbing back in the mid 00s. They didn't foresee a future where nearly all popular shows would be simulcast and available for download faster than they could speedsub. Their niche was poached from them and now they have basically nothing. Some groups are adapting though, focusing on Blu-Rays, OVAs, movies, etc, which don't get simulcasts, while only picking up a couple shows each season at most if they feel like it.

You do still have a few shows now and then that don't get simulcasts (this season is LWA) and so you'd think fansubbers would jump on these, but experience shows they surprisingly don't bother most of the time. If not for Asenshi one of the most anticipated anime of the year would have no subs.

Seriously, did you foresee a future where a company could find a profit model simulcasting subbed anime? I sure didn't.
Is Crunchyroll even profitable, or are they operating off of deep-pocketed VCs?

Why are you complaining?

HorribleSubs are fine. Just wait until they kick the bucket then you'll be that much closer to offing yourself.

I've come to prefer them.

[gg] ruined everything

Given that crunchy now has the ad budget to run to run ads on really, normalfag TV, I'll have to say, "yes, fansubs are dead."

Normieroll killed it and soon they'll kill our chinese cartoon hobby.

That's their endgame isn't it. Leave anime in the west a desiccated husk, mined for all the money they can, and then become complicit in it's cultural eradication in concert with the ethics sanctions of major world powers.

I mean, if you had asked me 10 years ago if I thought 90% of all seasonal anime would be simulcasted I would have said no, but I still generally thought putting all your eggs in one basket is stupid. Speedsubbing was mostly about epeen anyway.

But if you look at this really long term, CR is now in the same problem that fansubbers were in: they are relying too heavily on seasonal shows. What will they do when the anime bubble pops? If a bunch of studios close and the number of seasonal shows is cut down to like a third of what it is now or even less? It will be disastrous for them, but fansubbers don't stake their livelihood on speedsubbing anymore so they're actually in a position to make a comeback if/when the bubble pops.

Long live simulcasts.

>If a bunch of studios close and the number of seasonal shows is cut down to like a third of what it is now or even less?
I mean, you're not wrong, but this is kind of a basic danger of their trade. If you work by translating media and that media industry suddenly implodes, you have trouble, yes. I don't think that would lead to fansubbers taking over, though, because there's no reason CR (or some replacement, if they happened to go bankrupt) wouldn't just regress to a smaller operation to deal with the smaller number of shows. Unless anime becomes incredibly fucking niche in the West, there's pretty much no reason some company wouldn't always capitalize on this established market in an era where everyone watches their TV online.

You can't handle [gg].

[gg] had a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for fansubs and you curse [elitistags]. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that fansubbing's death, while tragic, probably saved anime. And [gg]'s existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves anime! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want [gg] on that wall. You need [gg] on that wall.

>Speedsubbing was mostly about epeen anyway.
I'm hoping you said mostly because you get that some of us simply don't want to spend all week on it, yes? We could release sooner (and shoddier) too, but for me it's always been about wherever you decide to balance between time commitment, perfectionism, and a quick release.

>What will they do when the anime bubble pops? If a bunch of studios close and the number of seasonal shows is cut down to like a third of what it is now or even less?

Only about a third of less of every season is watchable and who is to say that the majority of CR subscribers tune in for more than 5 shows.

use commie, best subs hands down

Sadly this is true for a lot of shows these days

Just learn Japanese.

>tfw started learning Japanese for a summer 2 years ago
>If I had kept up with it I would have been able to read Keijo by now instead of waiting for scanlations that will never come.

>because there's no reason CR (or some replacement, if they happened to go bankrupt) wouldn't just regress to a smaller operation to deal with the smaller number of shows
That might not be an option depending on how Japan reacts to a contraction of the industry. if, for example, they decide to jack up the price of licenses on the seasonal shows that remain then CR's balls are gonna be in a vice.

>heroine is dead and Sup Forums doesn't care so the second season of reikenzan will have no subs
hilarious, simulcasting of all shows airing in japan when?

>if, for example, they decide to jack up the price of licenses on the seasonal shows that remain then CR's balls are gonna be in a vice.
They wouldn't jack them up to a point that no one would buy, though, for obvious reasons. Unless they can make more off of licensing a fraction of their shows for a lot each than licensing all of them for a little each, which seems pretty unlikely.

Having a large selection of new titles is good for the convenience store effect. People go into the store maybe looking for one specific thing, but then they see all these other products while they're looking for their one thing and end up walking out with a 4 or 5 things. It's the logic behind putting a side bar or related video feed at the end of a video. But yeah CR could stand to lose a large chunk of their library and not suffer too much because it's mainly just super popular shit and longrunners that they depend on for subscriptions. But when the pool of anime shrinks the competition becomes more fierce, and Japan is likely to up the prices.

>They wouldn't jack them up to a point that no one would buy
Being so expensive you can't afford it and being so expensive it's no longer profitable to buy it are two different things.

I said mostly because I know fansubbers are, like their name suggests, fans. Meaning personal interest plays a large part in determining what they pick up. I doubt somebody would tolerate sitting there timing subs for a show they hate (unless they work for Commie) so they have to have some modicum of interest in the shows being picked up. But during the height of speedsubbing it was undeniably mostly fueled by epeen. Who could get their release out the fastest and therefore get the most praise and downloads.

>don't get simulcasts (this season is LWA

You can blame Netflix for that. They throw around exorbitant amounts of money to secure streaming rights. CR would most definitely have picked it up if they were not interested.

What? How does that matter? They sell at market price, that's that. They won't jack the price up beyond what CR/Funi/whoever are willing to pay, and nothing else matters.

killed it. no tenchi muyo subs for you.

>duwang
ayy

>in 2014

So what's the image for the current year?

You get choice [A] or [B].
They both look the same and taste the same but they have different names.

This needs a Daisuki version. Remember Stella?

>choice
I don't think so. You hope that whatever HorribleSubs rips isn't too terrible.

> that bento looks fucking oishii

every time, something on this gets me.

Why is he so based?

He made HorribleSubs and FastPokeMap.
twitter.com/WaryasBe

I hope Netflix does not ruin the market.

Maybe the Japanese should bundle shows so that less popular ones get releases too.

Hollywood is doing that with TV/Movie overseas licensing aren't they?

>They sell at market price
they've shown this to not always be true with dvd/blurays, I can see them making the same mistake again

they are now working with cr anyways

>gg came back to save kuromukuro then drops it
fug

you do realize fansubing was and still is illegal right?
how the fuck were they supposed to adapt?

Fansubs were slow, unreliable and had meme galore, who gives a fuck?
I'm not saying CR is perfect, it's just he same shit as fansubs but faster.

>What happened to subgroups?
They got hired by Funi and Crunchy. Same shit, different asshole.

And? Crunchyroll used to be an illegal streaming site too.

crunchyroll was never into fansubing anime thou.
before they turned legit.

Fansubs are still around for manga and lns if you really want them for some reason

Aren't there still few groups around who don't compete with HS in speed, but release full subbed seasons some time after they finish airing?

>fansubing
>illegal

>release full subbed seasons some time after they finish airing?
Why would anyone do that. There are few that sub while airing and don't race HS. Then there are others that sub when funimation is taking too long. In the end its best to just learn Japanese since all subs suck.

This

Well I do sometimes notice difference in simple words, I bet it's even worse for a person who actually learned in japanese, not picked it up a bit from thousands of hours of anime.

>In the end its best to just learn Japanese since all subs suck.
I have resigned myself to this fate. It's not even that bad once you get over initial laziness.

The thing that irks me the most is when subbers take 13-episode show, do 8, 9 episode, then stop and next season they grab new shows.
I understand some of them are doing it for free, but if you are not going to finish it, why even start it? For who are you subbing and why? Aren't there more productive things they could do with their time?

>CR subs something
>everyone watches it
>fansub group proceeds to sub it afterward
>no one watches it
there you go

Of course it's illegal, you are distributing copyrighted material without permission from the owners, this whole "lol it's not licensed" is a meme.

>Seriously, did you foresee a future where a company could find a profit model simulcasting subbed anime?
>I sure didn't.
Are you people legally retarded?

Fan translated lns are always shit though, it's not like translating dialogue alone where you can get away with being a shit writer

If you think that everyone is legally retarded but not you, it's more likely that everyone is actually sane and you are the one who is legally retarded.

tl;dr you are legally retarded.

No, the quality will drop. Just look at the quality Funi and Daisuki provides.

CR's real problem is that they can't keep up the quality because the supply of motivated slaves from former fansub groups has dried up. They have to hire "professional" translators, which are either shit, or fucking expensive.

>hardsubs vs [gg] chapter blogshit

I kinda miss animated subs but that's about it. Thanks for reminding me to delete all my archived gg shit

Thank god. Fansubbing is dead. No more internet whores.

>I didn't see obvious market shift coming
>someone else did
>and it happened
>but they're the stupid one, not me
>btw I'm going to show analpained I am over the insult they threw at me by throwing it back
Noiiiice

>I'll call everyone retarded!
>I'm so wise
No, you are a piece of shit. Nobody saw it coming 10 years ago. Now shut up before raising the stupidity in this thread even more.

>Nobody saw it coming 10 years ago

If nobody means you, then you are right. Stop projecting.

>NUH UH YOU LIARRRRRRRRRRR
>NO ONE COULD HAVE EVER PREDICTED THAT WITH THE ADVENT OF STREAMING VIDEO THAT A COMPANY WOULD SIMULCAST TRANSLATED ANIME FOR PROFIT
Nothing is more musical than the cries of a retard~

This is the answer. Nobody wants to take the time to fansub something CR already did. Even if the quality on a fansub would be better, nobody wants it when CR is instant. speed and convenience win.

>That user who thought there would be an instant raw and multiple groups subbing it the next day.

I let him find out on his own.

learn japanese and join the [Ohys-Raws] cult
Also enjoy superior ReinForce Blu-Rays

Literally the reason I embarked on the studies back in 2009 and now have a Bachelor in it I don't earn money with.

There's good examples though.
Some companies like the guys behind Steins;Gate actively look into the communities and pick their resources from there, that's how Reading;Steiner got an actual paid job translating weebshit he likes for the small price of shilling it on his twitter (or maybe he gets a share of the profits who knows).

Nobody gives a fuck, concern troll.

They gave you Macross Delta you ungrateful shit.

Doki got kicked out of nyaa forever but now they are pretty much the only fansub group still active today.

How do they do it? Why can't other groups survive as well as Doki does?

Macross Delta is garbage and shit.

Official translated prose tends to be trash as well, you have to be very intelligent to translate Japanese within the authors intention. It's almost a good thing lns are just low brow pulp anyway

There isn´t much of a need anymore, CR picks up about half of everything each season with Funi getting the last few.
There are probably maybe 1 or 2 hows a year that are worth watching without an official sub.
Even LWA is actually already picked up by Amazon

>fansub for free and be held accountable by the community since your name is on it
>sub for money from CR and do a shit job anonymously
Hard choice

>I would have been able to read Keijo
Do you mean Kanji?

It's long been dead since Crunchyroll betrayal.

>Current year
>Translate chinese moving board for free
Shiggy Diggy

SallySubs, >Coalgirls, FFF
Even UTW did a series or two a couple season ago iirc

I believe he is talking about the manga, "Keijo!!!!".
You know, the one that just got an anime last season.

>SallySubs
That group just takes translations from other groups and slaps them on BD rips.

The only niche that fansubbing still has is obsessive kids anime fans

Yugioh 5 has had three main groups dominate speedsubbing at different points, NACsubs, MonoSubs and Pot of Subs, each taking the viewership of the last when they became too slow. Two extra groups started since the raws became harder to track, Yurifag and Yoshida, so there are now five groups working on their own versions, three of them speedsubbers.

Digimon's CakeSubs took a week's vacation for christmas and Waffle Subs filled the void. There are now two groups working on it simultaneously, Cake and Waffle

Pokemon 7 only just started, but there are at least three groups on Nyaa already.

All this and no Galko-chan OVA subs.

I don't know why kids anime attracts this level of autism.
I don't know whether to be saddened or impressed.

How much do CRsubbers get payed I wonder.

they died in 2013

What is actually meant by the cartel? I know it vaguely refers to Commie and Underwater and the whole A+ crowd on Nyaa, but not the specifics of it all. Last time I heard it used was in Mikagura threads or something. Maybe Twintails, actually.

The /ai/ and Precure stuff still gets subbed too doesn't it?

Apart from a few lingering ones, Fansubbing died about 3 years ago.

>What happened to subgroups?
There was a "Cartel" formed that wanted fansubs done their elitist way. Those groups that refused to join the cartel were shut out of raws distribution or not allowed to distribute. These highly political tactics occurred when the cartel convinced raw providers to join them and of course cartel members were running nyaa torrent site. That cartel bullshit was also why Tokyo Toshokan was attacked. The cartel didn't want any alternatives to exist outside of their controlled nyaa.

By eliminating alternatives, that solidified their control on the fansubbing scene to ensure things were done their way and met their quality requirements. Even to this day, some sub groups' releases are not on nyaa.

Tokyo Toshokan
www.tokyotosho.info

So the waning of fansub groups existed before horriblesubs really came to power. As one poster said "The cartel extended its tentacles and absorbed every relevant subgroup while killing minor ones." Any new minor groups starting out would get attacked for quality issues. Thus those groups wouldn't have any breathing room to continue and get better, so they quit. Eventually, that attitude by the Cartel killed off new fansubbers, and as Cartel members got older and also quit, the knowledge of fansubbing disappeared as well since there were no new groups to pass the torch to.

Then Crunchyroll got bought out for 80 million by an investment group. So the creators of the once fansub site moved on and made their fortune. That wouldn't happen for the Cartel though. CR got better with the infusion of media resources the investment group and after a few months, CR output ramped up and the quality improved a great deal.

Horriblesubs is basically a ripped copy from Crunchyroll. Apparently, Crunchyroll streaming quality is more than good enough for the fans and anime consumers out there. It is worth subscribing to.

I love all that autistic shit like storing the OP as a separate file to show off the wacky things you could do with MKV chapter information.

啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊啊

>tfw have HDD full of vintage fansubs and old torrent files I'm not even sure work anymore
Maybe I will seed them someday when I figure out how to