Toguro was only a B-class demon

>Toguro was only a B-class demon
>Genkai came back
I'm loving this show so far but why is it trying to downplay the Dark Tournament Saga already? Also, Yu Yu Hakusho thread.

So far, Koto's my favorite character fuck Juri, she's a shit and Sayonara Bye Bye's my favorite ED in the show. It might be one of my favorites overall. It's cool that there's a full version of its dubbed version but it's too bad it's not sung by Genkai's voice actor. Yukina's voice actor still does a great job, though.

That's just power creep. Nigh every Shounen has it in some form.

And Yu Yu Hakusho's a relatively mild example. It's not at the level of Dragon Ball, where Piccolo Daimao was millions of times weaker than Majin Buu.

Is someone else marathoning this? I watched like 40 episodes this weekend. I'm 2/3 through chapter black arc and I am remembering why it's my favorite. It's so fucked up.

If Kuwabara isn't your favorite character you are wrong.

My friends and I are watching through the blurays, one disc every other day. We're a bit of the way through Chapter Black.

>there's an infinite labyrinth of monsters in the demon world, with stronger monsters as you keep going down
>nah fuck it just kidding we'll just bring everyone in the entire demon world who's strong at all and have a tournament for some reason
Togashi wanted out of this series so badly....

This series gives up after dark tournament

I like the next arc. I like it all the way up until right before it ends.

But I also like the arc after that I guess just not how that ended either.

Togashi should've found a better way to end the last 2 arcs.

I felt like Flame of Recca generally handled it pretty well. That was generally less focused on power level outright and more on how the powers where used. Hell the lead hero didn't even get an alternate powered up form.

The dark tournament is the peek of shonen tournament arcs. Chapter Black is also great but has the unfortunate ending that segways into the worst arc in the series that's mostly there to wrap up loose ends

This show is also the best example of power creeps done right and ending at their logical conclusions. Kuwabara is the most based man alive.

(OP)
>Toguro's only real power was increasing the strength of his body up to the point that he had to consume all the life around him to sustain it.
>Stronger demons, with more broken abilities than that exist
As far as shounen-ass-pulls go that's not even a blip on the radar.

>Genkai came back
Wasn't this not the case in the manga or something?

Kuwabara's been my guy since I saw the original Adult Swim airings. Best boy, no doubt about it.

Chapter Black is definitely one of the best arcs in the series, which only makes my frustration with anything after it that much worse.

>Japanese_truck_drivers.webm

Two words
Power creep

Read the manga after you finish. It's even more fucked up.

I know it's because of power creep, I'm just shocked at how quickly it went from Toguro having "power absolute" to B-class demon.

>I'm loving this show so far but why is it trying to downplay the Dark Tournament Saga already?
Basically it comes down to a fundamental divide between the human and demon world. Strong demons cannot cross the barrier, so only bitch ass demons are in the human world.

Did someone say Jojo's?

No.

Dark Tournament was the best of the series, it is all downhill after that if you ask me.

Chapter Black is a great followup to Dark Tournament and a nice return to form, but the series generally suffers from power creeping from that point onwards. Gets even worse in the last arc after, since everyone is fucking A or S-class.

I'm reading the manga right now, when does this get good?

>Acts like Gon
>YoYo user like killua
>Uses bungee like ability and has stars on his face like hisoka

Was this kid a hunterxhunter precursor?

>But I also like the arc after that I guess just not how that ended either.
>Chapter Black is also great but has the unfortunate ending that segways into the worst arc in the series that's mostly there to wrap up loose ends

It's a shame because Chapter Black is actually great fun, but it really starts to fall apart in the end when Sensui pulls Sacred Energy out of nowhere and Yusuke turns out to be a demon himself. I kind wish Sensui maintained the whole "technique > raw power" since it actually served to contrast Toguro really well.

The entirety of YuYu Hakusho is a HxH precursor. Heck, Chrollo might as well be Sensui in another life.

>Wasn't this not the case in the manga or something?
She came back after the DT but died at the end of the manga.

Hunterxhunter is set in the YYH universe a few hundred years after Koenma took down the barrier between the demon and human world.

>The drak tournament committee can apparently 'grant wishes'
>Somehow turned Tuguro into a demon
>None of this is ever elaborated on or explained

I love YYH but this gaping plot hole has always pissed me off to no end.

Not exactly, power level creep is clearly a problem, but the whole point of that was showing that power levels are an improper way of judging actual strength.
King piccolo is outclassed dozens of times over by buu, maybe even a hundred, but when you look at their actual feats, it's not as huge as it seems.
I mean, vegeta could destroy planets, roshi could destroy moons, etc.
All the higher power means is how fast they can do that, and how many times.
Yyh does have similar power creep to dragon ball, it just ends earlier.
The dark tournament saw very similar power levels to piccolo jr.

>segways
Segue. Sorry, but this triggers the fuck out of me. A segway is a motor vehicle.

They use the power of money.

Money and magiscience can do anything. Plus, Toguro killed all of them so it's not like anyone would have been able to do anything.

>Sayonara Bye Bye's
Good taste, also i just realized after all these years that the thing that Keiko let go with the wind at the beginning it's the photograph that Yusuke picks up at the end of the ending.
Fuck i'm slow.

should have wished himself an upper S class demon, or Hieh/Kurama/Yusuke's insane growth potential

i demand sauce

He wanted to be as strong as the demon that killed his pupils. Who was the strongest one in Earth but not the strongest of all.

They gave him the strongest demon body available on their side of the barrier.

>A segway is a motor vehicle.
Not really. It uses it's motor for balance, not propulsion.

They did that with Rando and the Saint Beasts, too, so I don't know what you were expecting. Hell, Toguro did it with himself in the Dark Tournament arc after the Rescue Yukina arc.

Chapter Black arc basically tried to introduce Stand Users to make the fighting different, but it went back to regular fighting soon enough.

There is something really satisfying about Kuwabara's matches. It's something to do with people's low expectations of him and me as a viewer not even sure what the outcome of the match will be. With Yusuke, I expect him to win 95% of the time, but Kuwabara is like an even flip which makes it a such treat to watch.

Yusuke vs. Minoru (sp?) was great.

Then Sensui turned out to have multiple personality disorder and it all went downhill from there.

At least most of Chapter Black was pretty great. Kurama's match with Gamemaster was pretty great, and what he does to Toguro afterwards was even better. The encounter with Doctor was alright, too, and Yusuke vs. Sensui (pre-personality fuckery) was pretty fantastic.

Hokuto No Ken was a bit different IIRC. There were power levels all right, but they weren't increasing all the time. Heck, Raoh would wipe the floor with almost every villain after him.

I don't know why this piss me off.

But, Yusuke should be a fucking human. It pisses me off after knowing that he is a demon.

It was Togashi's way to say "I can't stand working anymore" and this is why hiatus is better than this sort of asspull.

Yusuke and friends are the four horseman of the apocalypse.

Yusuke is the white horseman, Conquest, because he's actually an heir to a kingdom.

Kuwabara is the red horseman, War. He holds a "great sword with the power to take piece from men." This is self-explanatory.

Kurama is the black horse, Famine. He controls the barley and wine, with a scale (to regulate the two sides of himself).

Hiei is the pale horse, Death. He has hell follow him.

Sensui is the Antichrist, and beast with 7 heads, and 10 horns. He has seven personalities, but 10 horns because he has three people left at the final confrontation (Game Master, Gourmet, and Gatekeeper).

DEEPEST LORE.

all you need to know is that YYH is technically an average delinquent manga but in a fantasy paint-over

Most demons they are fighting are just random delinquents.
Toguro while an adult was just some thuggish muscle
A and S demons however are straight-up Yakuza this explains the father plot twist

>war is the only human of the 4

Fitting.

What are some good examples of long running battle series avoiding power creep?

FMA
Jojo
dunno if OP avoided power creep (there's Haki but I don't know what they did with it)
HxH and Medaka box has creep but it's not the point

That actually makes it sound more interesting.

I'm watching through this, Hunter x Hunter 2011, and Level-E right now with the goal of finishing all Togashi anime, except for Hunter x Hunter 1999, which I'll watch later, before my winter break ends. It's really interesting to see how different his style is across the three series. I still need to warm up a bit more to Level-E but it's cool to see a full-on comedy done by him. I intend on reading the manga for all three in the future.

I agree. Series would have been better if it just ended after the Dark Tournament and Genkai stayed dead.

Even though she doesn't do much, Botan is fucking hot.

This. I masturbated to her more than any other Togashi girl except Pitou.

She is so sexual.

Pitou's freaking me and my dick out.

I want to rip that kimono off and fondle her titties.

I do too. The kimono always makes her ass look so big and soft. I want her to sit on my face.

More characters will get revived. You know that thing in Naruto where the villains are not really bad, just misunderstood? Well YuYuHakusho does this a lot.

Why did Togashi bench him like that? Kuwabara is best boy.

Favorite song in a Tigashi show? Mine's the opening to Hunter x Hunter 2011. Unlike a lot of people, I love that it's played in every episode. I think it's the perfect song for the show. If they ever continued it and used a different opening song, I'd be upset.

Kuwabara getting benched to live a normal school life was about the best thing Togashi could have done for him and the world of YYH. Having Yusuke deal with spirit stuff and Kuwabara deal with school made YYH feel more down to earth than most other battle manga.

>trying to downplay the Dark Tournament Saga already
Gotta give people something to look forward to.

Naruto did the same thing. Made a huge deal about orchimaru being this badass that took down multiple hokages. Turns out there's an entire organization of villains on the same level as him or higher.

>the villains are not really bad, just misunderstood
>Toguro - I'll become a cold-hearted demon because I crave absolute power, power I never had that made me lose those who I loved. But I want someone to prove me wrong about my selfish desire for power, so I'll beat the shit out of this kid until he becomes strong enough to beat me while blackmailing everyone to join a literal death tournament because shit's fun.
>Sensui - I discovered that humans are irredeemably evil, so I want to kill em all but I'm already terminally ill, so I want to open a portal to the demon world and release all the demons while dying in the demon world peacefully, away from the judging eyes of those I felt betrayed by. Bonus points if the thing that ends up killing me is a half-human, half-demon spawn.

The main villains are still evil fucks, they're just given tragic circumstances but even those hardly justify their actions. At that point, their motivations are more admirable than necessarily sympathetic which is what puts Toguro and Sensui above the norm of villains with sob stories.

As an aside, when you think about it, Toguro was basically Yusuke's equivalent of a brutal Spartan dad and Sensui was basically his senpai that's seen some shit and thinks he understands the world.

hes a hybrid from alot of generations ago he is mostly human demon energy is just inherently stronger then spirt energy so it take he primary one he died

Botan's so cute.

>This show is also the best example of power creeps done right and ending at their logical conclusions.

I disagree, the power creep from the dark tournament to the end of the series is absurd. Everyone who fought in the dark tournemant turned out to be hilariously irrelevant in strength, and yet after just a bit of training a few of them suddenly find themselves hundreds of times stronger.

I think Yu Yu Hakusho deserves a remake with an alternate ending for the Three Kings saga. I'd like if they actually went to war instead of holding a tournament. I don't know what was Togashi's original idea.

>Childhood is idolizing Yusuke
>Edgy teen years is worshipping Hiei
>Final years of Uni is when you realize Kuwabara made more sense
>Fully-matured and educated adulthood is when you finally see the light and understand that Kurama is best boy.

>watch series on Cartoon Network when I was young
>series gets to the final round of the Dark Tournament, Team Toguro vs. Team Urameshi
>Cartoon Network never airs the conclusion
>takes the show off the air
>never heard from it again

this was honestly one of the worst experiences of my childhood.

Is YYH any good after the Dark Tournament? I know they bring back Toguro's (reincarnation??), and they do ANOTHER Dark Tournament, and then there's that retarded plot that Yusuke's mom got fucked by that demon dick, so I'm not sure if I want to bother watching this shit again if the later seasons are so bad

best girl

>You finished YYH 16 years ago
Man, these threads make me feel sad

>know they bring back Toguro's (reincarnation??)
No, they don't,not the cool one at least.

they don't make sexies like her anymore.

>I think Yu Yu Hakusho deserves a remake
Despite the ending being a bit underwhelming, i don't think it really needs one. It never dragged it's ass as much as the usual long running shonen battle series, had a great soundtrack which was 90's as fuck in the best possible way and some of the episodes still look phenomenal today. It holds up really well.

>never finished yyh as a child
>buy bd because friends keep telling me its a legit shounen
>almost every important fight at and after suzaku has huge asspulls
I enjoyed it and all but powerlevels re really bs in yyh considering powerups are abundant

Besides the whole killing Genkai thing, what did he do that was actually evil?

He destroied someones unrelated property because he wanted to be cool and be like "Look yousgay TWENTY PERCENT!!!1!"
Thats a real evil dick move

That was anime only, but a good point nonetheless.

Other than that and most of 3 kings what else was anime only?

well, prepare for very little upswing going forwards. it never quite tops the dark tournament, or even the ghost arch after that.

>rushes three kings arc
>still dedicates a chapter to showing her fucked up backstory

There are some moments early in Three Kings when it feels Togashi had a longer story planned.

But then he gets tired and ends it early to fuck it all up.

no, but it would be cool if Yusuke or hiei show up

honestly, I thought she was going to be the love interest if the resurrection plan didn't work out.

I remember watching this as a a kid,and worrying about my organ donor status but also thinking, well, death can't have that many draw backs if the grim reaper is this cute.

That fucking last episode was so comfy and good

I want to fuck Kurama

It always seemed weird to me that Togashi said he hated Keiko, but decided to not push Yusuke and Botan as a way to write her out of the manga. Did he ever give a reason for not doing that?

>Sayonara Bye Bye's my favorite ED in the show

4>3>5>2>1

Literally finished watching it again last week

this
>tfw the anime leaves out one of the best scenes of YYH

>the Dark Continent is actually the Demon realm

I don't know. keiko's role was mostly the wet blanket, but his choice to keep her required a nerfing of botan's charm.

maybe he didn't want a stupid triangle arch that might hint at a harem manga, or maybe botan was too obvious of a choice, so he wanted to stay out of the corner...

YYH deserved to be a lot better than it actually turned out to be. It has great characters and concepts and a good setting, and it wastes it all on tournament shit. And fuck the "you are the demons, Yoosgay" twist. I still love the series, mostly for the characters and the OP and EDs. The ending, especially the anime's, is oddly affecting.

>FOREVER FORNEVER
Fuck.

>but why is it trying to downplay the Dark Tournament Saga already?
Because you ain't seen nothin' yet, kid. Chapter Black is the best fucking arc by far. DT is 60 episodes of filler by comparison

The way Togashi ended the manga managed to be even more comfy.

I think part of it was that A class demons couldn't get through the gate that separated the worlds? So you didn't see them unless you were wandering around the demon world.

Favorite technique from the series?