>people are fighting With fucking axes

Wut

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WDwsDn6M-pU
youtu.be/vd1sxsJ0zJg?t=334
youtube.com/watch?v=G1eGoWoNMMU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The problem isn't that they're axes.
The problem is that they were designed by people who don't understand a thing about close combat.

Where are the katanas?

kek'd with your post

>image.png
>Wut
Why is this allowed on Sup Forums now?

IIRC the combat armor effectively makes laser guns useless by deflecting them so the obvious solution is to go straight medieval and chop people in half with axes

if you shoot da side of the space ship with a laser and put a hole in it then bad things happen

Lasers would hit the hull of the ship and cause explosive decompression. They have rifles on land operations.

>Lasers would hit the hull of the ship and cause explosive decompression.
So they should coat their ships properly and when some barbarians with axes board them they'll shoot them dead.
Lasers are not very effective weapons even against modern planes.

Yeah but then we wouldn't get cool ax fights.

This.
Its like Gundam, there is no logical reason a robotic suit of armor would change the tide of war that has thousands of massive warships three times the size. The Minovsky particles are just there for bs justification. In reality its just because mechas are fuckin cool.

Zephyr particles, shoot aroudn with them and you explode. No to mention most of those heavy amor soildiers are practically bullet proof

No but, the idea is that if you can make armor thats just as strong as hull, you need hull breaching weapons to damage the person inside the armor.

And thats before you get into the gigantic nightmare of Zeyphyr particles, gas leaks, and hitting enviromental systems when missing weapon shots.

Okay Mr CQC expert, tell me what's blatantly wrong with LOGH's portrayal of close combat and what could be done to make it more realistic and keep it just as entertaining.

I'm all ears.

>wanting to be spoonfed
fucking newfags

>using axes
>not superior pikes which would have the advantage
logh still a shit

>happens centuries in the future
>politics dated by at least millennium

Yeah, how dare I expect an actual discussion? I should just change my beliefs based on every two sentence post that could be shat out by any shitposter.

>called legend of the galactic heroes
>doesnt go to another galaxy
>no heroes
>not even legends
this is like some >holy roman empire shit right here

First of all, axes make shitty standalone weapons, unless they are pole-axes and you're wearing so much armor that you don't really care about getting hit a bit. They are not very effective in defense.
So you either want shields and one handed axes or axes that are designed to open armor. The depicted axes are two-handed and double-bladed, in other words, they are neither.
One handed axes should be short (because their center of gravity is in the blade, and the further away this center of gravity is from your hand, the slower the weapon moves). There's also be no real reason for a second axe blade. It's not a very bad idea, but a spike or a hammer head would be good against armor. It depends on what kind of opponents you are planning to fight.
This would not be optional for the two-handed anti-armor type of axe. The only reason you are using it at all is because you are expecting armored combat. Using just a blade against plate is dumb.

>people are retards

Okay that sounds like it makes sense.

They say somewhere that inside spaces the flooded with these particles that cause explosions when they come in contact with laser fire
in the books they make it clear right away
i forget how far into the anime they say it but i remember it being there

That's the point.

Not him, but look up battleaxes from IRL history.
This double-bladed design is fantasy meme, never existed in IRL perhaps except for ornamental or ritual weaponry.
Second blade is literally useless and gets in the way.
Also against armored opponents either piercing mail-breakers or blunt warhammers\maces with built-in inertia amplifiers or electric shock elements would be better.

>never existed in IRL
It did.
>Second blade is literally useless
Medieval fencing treatises were more versatile than later saber fencing because you could attack with your false edge immediately after a maneuver without having to turn your weapon around. The same would be true for axes, except there are no surviving treatises to teach us how they were used.

Okay this is where you're wrong. At least for one handed axes. This guy bothered to get a degree and is the only youtuber worth listening to on the subject matter.

youtube.com/watch?v=WDwsDn6M-pU

Are you retarded or braindead?
Probably both.

What's the problem?

I guess fighting in weightless conditions would make axe weight not as much of an issue, though even then the second blade is not worth the additional size of the thing.
Why axes and not though? You just need to make a small hole to kill a dude, not chop his legs off.

>The same would be true for axes
Which is why post viking axes tends to have a impalement spike on the opposite end.
Not a second axeedge

>I guess fighting in weightless conditions would make axe weight not as much of an issue,
No.
The weight of the weapon is a problem because of inertia, not because holding it up tires you out.
Inertia is the same in space as it is on Earth.

>Why axes and not though?
Axe blades are better against unarmored people. You can chop off limbs rather than just put holes into them.

Picks has the unfortunate design flaw of getting stuck a lot.

?

It's supposed to be a throwback to naval boarding actions from the 1600s-1800s.

Come on people.

But those people used cutlasses, not axes.

>Add basic fencing techniques
>Masturbate over it
Sasuga Nippon

They used those things because they were handy to chop thick ropes if needed.
And they used axes too, small ones, obviously.
Can you chop space ropes in space battles?

>Can you chop space ropes in space battles?
You can chop doors.
Panels
Decks
Like firemen

space marine are intentionally corny and over the top.

It might be a callback to the old Lensmen novels. In that, space axes were used because ray guns had become so powerful that firing them carried a high risk of inflicting massive damage to the spaceship, and also because of considerations having to do with a lot of combat taking place in an inertialess environment.

Despite being called "axes," they were described as a sort of hybrid polearm.

Lensman will never get the love it deserves will it?

>pic related

This too.

That being said, there should've been pikes and fencing blades.

I can't imagine intertia-less environments to be healthy for humans.
It sounds like the kind of place you'd cease functioning in immediately.

Should've been /thread after , but I guess this is an LOGH thread now. Also, axes are really cheap.

>Also, axes are really cheap.
In a medieval society.
Nowadays, swords wouldn't really be notably more expensive.

if small arms fire is strong enough to breach hull why are you bothering to board in the first place?

napoleon naval battle often include boarding because cannon was still pretty crap back then.

Once gunnery and technology improvement boarding action become obsolete.

Axes chop through heavy armor.

No.
Spikes may do some minor damage to heavy armor.
Axes don't.

There was some handwaving involved. It was basically just their version of warp drive.

It could be argued that space opera existing as a well-established and popular genre is Lensmen getting the love it deserves.

Presumably because you're interested in capturing the ship (or someone or something onboard) rather than just disintegrating everything.

Axes are the shit.

are you fucking me

Everything about that scene was great.

Most Space Opera in west seem to derivate from Star Wars, OR Star Trek.
Now, sure we can agree that both of these drew from Lensman and Heinlein.
But at the end of the line, inspirations of inspirations isn't inspirations, its forgotten reflections.

I think thats why I love Japan's sci fi so much. It has different sources, so its a lot different.

if you think that about western sci fi you need to read more, you could not be more wrong
that being said japanese sci fi is great as well

Western CINEMA Sci Fi?
Or Western WRITTEN Sci Fi?
Because those are completely different things.

Especially when nobody wants to do live action Sci Fi because costumes and sets are daunting as fuck, and the various groups that is the various movie groups isn't particularly ambitious.

But the HRE were holy, Roman and an empire. R-Right?

you're right about the live action stuff giving anime an edge
i think that some of the best contemporary sci fi outside of books can be found in anime and manga (as well as somes western comics)
but isn't Japanese live action sci fi just shit as well?
From with i've seen it is maybe worse.

Superior space armor is designed to protect from lasers. The solution to them is a war axe.

why don't they make space armor that protects from lasers and axes

I knew from the very beginning that you've been watching the same channels about medieval combat as I did.

Phezzanis are sabotaging research so they can sell both armor that protects from axes and armor that protects from lasers.

>see people talk about oberstein doing nothing wrong before watching LoGH
>figure they're just meming like with Griffith and he must be the worst bastard in the show
>spend entire series waiting for him to stab reinhard in the back
>mfw i get to the end of the series and he literally did NOTHING WRONG

Odin bless Oberstein.

logh went on to long, the asspulls that let yang escape captivity after the fall of the alliance at 60-70 just felt forced to watch and contrived just to increase runtime.

It starts of well, keeps pacing, there is some poor pacing before Yang kicks the bucket, and then some more.
But the final arc is solid in terms of pacing.

Because the Space-Ax is the manliest weapon in space.

Westerland and getting Kircheis killed

Also he wanted to execute Yang

And he was autistic

Any news on the 2017 remake?

Yeah turns out shooting guns in oxygen rich environments is a bad idea. Whod'a thunk.

youtu.be/vd1sxsJ0zJg?t=334

revolver ocelot

patrick lain

revolver ocelot

>Westerland
More lives were safed than lost, also leaves them in a much better position since they won't have to take as much military losses.
>Kircheis killed
Not his fault
>Also he wanted to execute Yang
Yang was the most dangerous man from the empires perspective, of course he wanted to eliminate him.
>And he was autistic
You have a point there though.
1/4 not a good effort.

They were mostly for intimidating purposes, also for chopping people.

He essentially caused the death of Kircheis.
You can be absolutely fucking sure that he knew it was going to happen and could had prevented it.

Ergo; he was the cause.

>You can be absolutely fucking sure that he knew it was going to happen

dumb phoneposter

>kek

Fuck off

>You can be absolutely fucking sure that he knew it was going to happen
How?

>and could had prevented it.
How?

Remember, it was an attempted assassination of Reinhard, and Oberstein would do fucking ANYTHING to protect Reinhard.

lel

>implying nukes can melt human flesh
>allowing an assassination attempt against reinhard
>guy uses ring laser and fucking rocket launcher
>risking reinhard's life in the hope kircheis will die and reinhard will be uninjured

You're worse than 9/11 truthers

The story is told from a historians perspective, literally looking back and analyzing what all these people were doing in these times. That's where "Legend" comes from, as it's a huge mythos being weaved and looked back on. It's Galactic because it takes place in one galaxy. All of the characters are pretty much hero, and with the death of the Rosenritters, Reinhard, and others, the age of heroes had ended.

Oberstein only objected to Kircheis being shown favor by being the only general in the court able to carry a weapon. Figured it might have sown discontent amongst the other leaders, and that's a very logical conclusion to draw.

He wasn't in charge of the security which let a guy smuggle in a fucking rocket launcher.

This all sounds like you made it up based on your logic, which would seem to make sense.

Except it doesn't when you actually know about CQC.

Post best tracks.
youtube.com/watch?v=G1eGoWoNMMU

This shit would give /k/ an aneurysm, wouldn't it?

>lol muh >hre meme so funny haha
back to

Having a good melee weapon makes sense when
-the inhuman enemies you face come in such stupidly high fucking numbers that getting swarmed in close combat as your magazine empties is inevitable
-future armor and/or alien skin is extremely resistant to most ballistic weaponry or even rockets, but susceptible to specialized tools like a power sword

The sad thing is this show could have been good if it didn't immediately turn into a slice of life show after the first episode.

t. Charlemagne

>wants to save his people by any means necessary
>Sup Forums calls him a villain

>letting Reinhard control the universe and assfuck Phezzan from behind in the process
>saving his people

Everyone always memes about how Oberstein did nothing wrong, but his biggest fuck up of all was keeping Lang around.

This overly ambitious sycophant, who had very little actual talent, really didn't serve much of a purpose. All keeping him around did was result in a large scale betrayal ending in he death of Lang and one of the most important military/political figures in the empire.

I'm gonna replay MGS1 again

There are usually two situation that warrents melee combat in LOGH, zephyr particles makes the environment explode and thus prevents laser or chemical reaction weapons. And the lasers weapons have to be set to low power to not destroy the ship, killing everybody.

The only time where Julian wasn't a total faggot

That's not a neko...

This sounds like a baseless dismissal, based on your prejudice.

But I'm sure you know perfectly well what you are talking about.