Is this like Flip Flappers but for smart people?

Is this like Flip Flappers but for smart people?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodile_tears
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's more like Cowboy Bebop for dumb people.

I kek'd. Great burn.

That's not very Dandy of you, user.

It's more like cowboy bebop but for the underaged and Champloo for even dumber people

More like Flip Flappers but with two seasons, good writing, an overarching plot that doesn't take away from the episodic stories at all, a good ending, better music, and main characters that are actually original and don't rely on pointless fanservice and yuribait to be likable. Also far better visual symbolism in the episodes that incorporate it and the humor is vastly funnier.

It's Space Cobra but for people who enjoy The Big Bang Theory

It's Berserk for people who hated Planetes

So for smart people.

It's weird, Cocona and Papika should be more fun to watch because they're cute girls, but they're somehow boring compared to Dandy, QT, and Meow. The "trippy adventures" just feel so much more fun in Space Dandy than in Flip Flappers.

Cocona is just boring as fuck compared to Dandy

>kek'd

You're so dumb, Sup Forums. Go fuck off.

Are you kidding right now? Papi and Coco are terrible main characters, only waifufags try to deny it and they're treated like sub-humans for a reason. Their actual personalities were never the high point of FF, because it's the exact same 'genki weirdo autist meets shy introverted teenager' shit everyone's already seen a million times by now. It was moreso in the exploration of the world of Pure Illusion and the way the visuals and environment reflected their psyche in a surreal and appealing fashion. Once all that shit went out the window people were unable to ignore how bland and shitty the characters themselves were the vast majority of the FlipFlap circlejerk effectively disowned the latter half of the show.
Compare to Space Dandy which has a core cast so fun to watch that an entire episode spent just on eating different kinds of ramen is both entertaining and enjoyable, the disparity in characterization is immediately apparent.
Also Dandy is a way better surfer than Papika, no question.

Yes, and generally just people with taste. Normalfags really hit the jackpot with this one, it's rare they get treated to an anime that's not only actually good but has a dub superior to the original.

I don't think the first half was any better really. Episode 3 was the only one that was about as fun as a Space Dandy episode, and episode 5 was pretty cool, but otherwise it wasn't very interesting

no for pretentious cucks

>genki weirdo autist meets shy introverted teenager
Who has done this the best, Diebuster maybe?

Episode 1 was very good too.

I don't think so, in hindsight Diebuster was a fucking mess and the relationship between brown loli and Nono felt very shallow and unfulfilling by the end of it. A far cry from the iconic friendship of the original Gunbuster heroines.

Well said.

It's Coke for people who like Pepsi.

Girl Friends

Nonon and Lal'c were characters with a complex relationship, without a doubt better written than Gunbuster's MCs typical shoujo dynamic (that doesn't even fit the criterias of what we're talking about anyway).

Why does everyone keep comparing these two shows? They were trying to do completely different things.

Salty sakugafags still sulking over having Flip Flappers threads hijacked by the rabid yurifags.

Not him but Noriko and Onee-sama's relationship always felt stronger to me because of the personal connection they had over Coach, which wasn't really present in Diebuster. I do agree that the relationship stuff played out better in the second series though, it just lacked some of the foundation of the first one.

And better animation

Though Akko wasn't really a weird autist, she was just a normie

Yes.

Dandy's whole gimmick was the guest animators, episode directors and production always experimenting with and visual elements, like having Yuasa direct a single epsiode before cycling out to someone else. Similarly Flip Flappers was really concerned with the wonky and cerebral portrayals and locations Pure Illusion could manifest in, leading to a very similar idea of experimentation.

That's how I felt, a really solid relationship cannot be built on a weak and shallow foundation. For Nono and Lal'c it was
>WOW SHE'S SO COOL I IMMEDIATELY LOVE HER SO MUCH SHE'S JUST LIKE NONO-RIRI
And then near the end they wanted to force a bunch of drama into it to try and give it some depth, but by that point it was far too little too late. They even had the poor taste to add all the yuri subtext to make it look more meaningful than it was, whereas Gunbuster was all about a pure yet complex friendship that gradually developed and was all the better for it. When you take a step back and look at it all, there's really no comparing the two. Freud-chan is best girl.
Well, it's BONES. They hit a lot more often than they miss, and you can tell they were more than a little passionate about Dandy.

Didnt the brown girl in diebuster had a boyfriend?

That's a whole other can of worms completely. Her relationship with him wasn't explicit from what I could tell, but it seemed a very one-sided infatuation that all ended in disaster when "that" happened. Still kind of scratching my head over all of that, but nice to know if he'd ever forced himself on her she would have let it happen.

Cheeeeeeko > flaming german bitch

I know this is a bait thread, but can someone explain to me HOW is Cocona a good character? She felt like a half-assed Shinji clone.

every thread

>cuck

Fuck off

She wasn't, and neither was Papika. The only characters they seemed to put any real effort into were Salt and Yayaka.

First reply best reply as always. space blandy is hipstershit for fedora tippers, Im glad it bombed.

>hipstershit for fedora tippers
>not cowboy bebop
ok

It is a vicious deconstruction of the sorry state of writing in modern anime posing a quirky comedy. In between poking fun at the lazy and dumb stuff writers do, they take time to slay the sacred cows of "so deeeeeeeeep" endings, and even manage to put together a coherent plot for 30 minutes.

>thinking you can even touch this perfection
Bratty loli has nothing on feisty heroic firecrotch.

Flip Flappers is already Flip Flappers for smart people

dumb flip fapper

I want to offer one of my piss bottles to a thirsty Papika

Space Dandy is the best Chinese cartoon of the past 2-3 centuries at least.

FLFL is the Space Dandy of Eva.

Papika's feet

Hirohito is the Teddy Roosevelt of Okinawa.

Puppyka is a genius!

Jesus is the Kurosawa of Iceland.

It actually fun to watch unlike that borefest known as Flip Flappers

What's Dandys Pure illusion like?

Flip Flappers and Space Dandy are allied franchises!

Why are you faggots trying to create a rift between them?

Just give it up, it's sad and pathetic. The flappers and the dandys are friends and have more in common than you people would like to admit.

This is now a flip flappers thread because the last one died.

This thread is now under new management. Undesirables will be sent to the shadow realm.

pic related x10000

Space Dandy is garbage for stoners.

This is true, i like both Dandys and Flappers and if i like it it's objectively good because i'm very important.

not kino enough

What about Matoi? Matoi is the sister franchise right?

This is a very good post.
Please tell us more.

Childhood friend, they come from very different families but they have the same age and a lot in common. They also got stuck in the same poor neighborhood.

What do you want to hear?

Official Sup Forums ranks
Space dandy>>>>>>>>>>samurai champloo>>>>>fecal matter>>>cowboy bebop.

There are only 4 watchable episodes in bebop. Whereas the other 2 are fun and amazing the entire ride.

someone really doesn't like flip flappers huh

Was Mimi actually trying to trick Cocona with fake tears?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodile_tears

Tell us more about Yayaka's ass.

Deepest lore.

Overall, no. It had it's strong points no doubt, but all in all it was rather subpar.

which doesn't exist.

I like how you started the second sentence with "similarly" and then described something that wasn't similar to the description of the first sentence at all.

I'm interested to know what you think wasn't subpar in the same season. Or maybe even give some examples of shows that have a remotely similar creative style and unique settings.

>controlling mom trying to use literal crocodile tears to manipulate her daughter
I can't tell if it's pathetic that she stooped that low, or funny that her upbringing was so warped that she actually thought she could cry to get what she wants.

Flip Flappers was the most ambitious and fairly realized show of the last two years. It could have been much better but it's still a decent effort for a first-time director. Some people prefer safe soap operas like Rakugo which do nothing interesting with the medium or conceptually speaking. While that show may be less flawed it's significantly less interesting. I think Oshiyama is one of the most unique voices in modern anime and I'm excited for the Yuasa collaboration.

>Dandy's whole gimmick was visual elements
>Pure Illusions whole gimmick was visual elements
Gee whiz user

Why didn't you like Cowboy Bebop? I know it is pretty much entry level but that doesn't mean it is bad.

Anime's whole gimmick is the visual elements you putz

Why would you compare Dandy to yurifag trash like Flipflappers?

If only all the creators understood this. Maybe we could get more interesting shows.

>has a dub superior to the original

Yeah no, fuck off.

Why would you compare Flappers to westernfag trash like Spacedandy?

Please do not bully Rakugo. I like them both, and the rakugo parts in Rakugo are were just like pure illusion parts in Flip Flappers. Those were fun, user.

At which point Mimi is no longer Mimi. Mimi is literally and figuratively the Great Mother archetype, an abstract symbol representing the unconscious aspect. Her sole purpose is to complete the manifestation of the shadow to complement the duality of the Mother. Therefore the imagery of hers cannot be interpreted by character motivation.

>figurative is literal
>archetypes are token specifics
>psychoanalytic archetypes can't be interpreted in relation to the psychology of character they're associated with
>metaphors are concrete descriptors and not comparisons
>up is down
>left is right
>pure illusion is real
Therefore, you're full of shit.
I hope you use better arguments in your papers.

Don't you know? The writer switched with the writer. What you listed are actually all true in this case.

Rarely do I advocate a dub over the subs because 90% of them are trash, but If you don't think Dandy's English VA's did a better job then you're basically admitting to having shit taste.

I like the fact that it makes so much sense given the context.

It was evil Mimi after all, a pure illusion switch which manifested itself during Mimi's moment of extreme desperation because she wanted to protect Cocona so much that she switched with that side of herself which also came with all of the crazy control freak aspect.
But still in the end, it was just another side of the kind and silly old Mimi, the weak and naive little girl who grew up alone and pure as an experiment in a very controlled environment.
That traumatic childhood might have come out through her other side, which turned out to be highly controlling of others but also quite naive itself.

>waaah why does Sup Forums like Flip Flappers and not my favorite reddit manime, better make several threads a day comparing them, that'll show these losers
Here's your (You) my man

Cowboy Bebop is the poster-boy anime for hipstershit and fedora tippers.

Yeah, that's the idea. Mimi's a teen mom throwing a tantrum. She's in that awkward psychological space where she's never had parental affection herself, never properly socialized, and basically alone and isolated her whole life without freedom or agency. At the same time, her existence was so sheltered that she's never had to face hardship beyond her lack of freedom and company.

This shit is all completely new to her.

>Dandys and Flappers
This isn't tumblr, we don't organize ourselves into fandoms with silly names

It's like Cowboy Bebop for people who enjoyed Tytania.

No it's the Spongebob Squarepants of Cowboy Bebop
Wait shit no it's not, because Spongebob is occasionally funny

It's not that I don't like it in fact I love the 4 episodes I really like. Which are the very first episode, and the 3 episodes that actually have something to do with spike and his past. Everything else is trash.

I can understand if you never like any of the other characters but I enjoyed all the characters in Cowboy Bebop. Except Ed's shitty mushroom episode.

Plotfag detected

I like Mai? Does that count for something?
No I just don't like any other episode for bebop.

So you liked it best when it was just Jet and Spike? I guess Faye, Ein and Ed did make things a little more silly if you're some super serious type.

Well here's the thing I don't mind silly it's just every other episode never clicked with me. Fayes background did hit me hard so I'll add that episode. But I didn't care for ein and ed. Jetch was cool I like those characters a lot. But seriously after episode 1 all the other episodes that don't involve spike and vicious are just plain.