What is it about a tournament arc the brings out the best in a Shonen series?

What is it about a tournament arc the brings out the best in a Shonen series?

>best

best parts of KLK were the tournaments part

prove me wrong Sup Forums

They allow authors to introduce and develop large swaths of characters quickly.

>Love tournament arcs in anime
>Hate them in vidya.

I guess it's because they feel more "relaxed" after big world-ending fights shonen tends to lean toward.

There was nothing good about KLK.

Well there was the first episode. Then it went downhill so fast it dropped off a cliff.

because we get to see more characters show off their abilities and how capable they are without an mc dealing the final blow on every arc villain
Its a way for a character to get more popular and get more screentime and hopefully give impressions on how impactful they would be to the overall story

Did bleach have a tournament arc?

Maybe classic tournament arcs, today's tournament arcs are fucking shit. Yeah I'm still mad how this ended.

>Did bleach have a tournament arc?
Nope

tournaments are basically a do-or-die moment for a shonen's battle system

they also make it easy to introduce new characters

We get to see characters with a vast range and variety of abilities and skills. Gives the writers a chance to come up with something new

Well at least the women in it are great.

Tournament arcs are lazy as hell and are shitty. Not to mention they make boring ass fights. Its fucking shitty unimaginative 1v1 fights taken to the most uninspiring conclusion.

They're not great, they're just half naked and you have shit taste.

They're not Ryuko looks nice but her personality is garbage, and every other woman is just garbage in general.

Tournament arcs are the worst part

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the Dark Tournament.

They're good for authors on time restrictions, because it allows them to focus on a lot of core things, like the fights, and what's going on with the characters, while at its core, being a formulaic structure: character A battles character B, then character C against character D. It also lets the artist draw the same basic locations over and over, rather than be forced to make new locales for more dynamic stories.

It's all in all more sensible from a time management perspective, but to be honest, I kinda hate them. So many involve characters just standing around and gawking at what's going on, while fighting is done in this copy and pasted arena.

You just described every other tsundere character. Acts like a bitch but is cute.

Not very fond of tourney arcs overall, but:

Yu Yu Hakusho had the greatest tourney arc IMO.
Dragon Ball had first three were great
Naruto blew after the first one (not sure if that was the only one)
Ranma wasn't shounen per se, but it needed a tourney, with all those wacky characters

They really don't.
There are few exceptions, Togashi is notable for making tournaments work.
Tournaments are boring because the fights usually have a very bland and uncreative setting, like a plain arena.
Good battles need a creative setting and objective, something that simply doesn't exist in 90% of tournament arcs.

Now that I remember, Flame of Recca had a neat tournament. It was pure edgy fun

Buddha best boy

Only shounen fighting manga to do good tournament arcs are Kinnikuman and Sakigake!! Otokojuku.

>there are people that don't like tournament arcs

Chunin exam was pretty much the peak of the series

After all that shit Kubo stole from YYH he didn't even do a fucking tournament? The best fucking thing about YYH?

No wonder his manga fell off.

G Gundam went downhill once the actual tournament started, the best part about the show was traveling to fuck people's worlds up

Clear goal: WIN
Good(protagonist side) vs Evil(opponent side)
MC is struggling
MC trained hard for this (either flash backs or training arc before tournament arc)
All contestant's bullshit skills explained in detail
Flashy action scenes
Reactions from the audience, allies & commentators directs what the viewer should be feeling
A chance that previous rival will be rooting for the MC to win

I hated how they booked the tournament in Shokugeki no Soma.