YOUR NAME

I don't have a lot of experience with Anime in general, or the genre of romance, but I did like this movie. I know some people here found it to be underwhelming or inferior in comparision to similiar genre films, so what would those be? And why?

Regarding 'Your Name', it became somewhat unique later on before ending very stereotypical. It felt like the season finale of 'Friends'. But still, the plot was interesting. The characters forgettable. But it made me emotional anyways. I'm easily moved by that shit, so it worked nonetheless.

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139
youtu.be/5pzRAoMD7H0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's enjoyable. The story isn't fantastic but the soundtrack and visuals are amazing.
faggots on Sup Forums don't like it because it's successful

>visuals
You sure? They looked pretty standard to me

Nah. The background department shits on every TV anime in these last 3 years.

But this is a movie. What about in comparision to other Anime films?

can't find bd version

Because there's no BD out yet

I'd say it's unique Shinkai's touch as always.

what other romantic Anime movies are better or as good as this one?

Last one that came close was tokikake. Romance isn't anime strong suit unlike live action.

Such a good anime, I've never cried at anything before but I cried at this movie twice.

But there are so many shows out there about guys and gals in high school

Man, still waiting for rips of that Oscars DVD.

>yfw oscars
>yfw sing gets nominated
>yfw this doesn't

They were either all shit or mediocre.
Shinkai was the only one that did it remotely well with his previous movie. Just look at all the other high budget movie flop like patema inverted or kiddy romance in ghibli movies and you would realize how bad the medium is with romance.

Japanese people are bad at romance, and anime directors/writers are especially bad.

it looks worse than both garden of words and 5cm per second.

Ocean waves
From up on Poppy Hill

Aren't their actors also much more theatrical, exeggerating emotions et al?

There are great romance series in anime though especially most of the pre 2010s noitaminA anime

I thought patema would do well, the concept seemed like something people who don't even watch anime would be able to enjoy.

>tfw 1 and a half hour flight

If you are watching it on the plane, might as well just download the 480p copy.

>the background department
You know that's not all there is to visuals.
>TV anime
When you explicitly compare visual quality of a movie to only TV anime, you're being a faggot.

Meme movie basically overrated heap of trash

>hnc
>nodame
Erm, no?
You probably need to go further back with stuff like KoR. I think the only romance series that I actually like recently is white album 2.

01.46 including 5 minutes credits. Just stay on the plane till the movie's finished, even if they arrest you for hijacking the plane

>H&C and Nodame are bad
>Kimagure Orange fucking Road is good
Not his fault your taste is terrible.
>Erm, no?
Stop typing like an underaged girl.

Nah, they just play to type more.

Tough Yakuza guy, stoic samurai, helpless maiden, quiet little girl, punk teens

Live action is garbage with romance, though. For every actually good one, there's five hundred generic romcoms, which I actually find worse than generic anime romcoms.

Yeah, Shinkai himself stated that he didn't satisfied with it, but there were time and budget constraints. That means it could be better in Shinkai's standard. But his lighting and coloring signature are still in it.
Almost no QUALITY frames at all. This movie has pretty high standard sakuga if you don't mind not having flashy action keyframes at all.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 12 weeks, 11 weekends
>Has surpassed Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle as #2 Anime Film of All Time in Japan
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$288 million).
>Considered for an Oscar
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>Has become the no. 1 highest-grossing Japanese movie in China
>Has become the no. 1 movie in Thailand
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million)
>The film immediately topped Korea's box office opening on 555 screens all around the country which is a new record for the Japanese film.
>Also dominated China breaking the all-time records for the most advance tickets sold and the fastest film to reach 100 million yuan ($ 14 million or 1.7 billion yen), with the first 100 yuan earned in just the film's opening day.
>The film also dominated the charts of Hong Kong and Taiwan becoming the number 2 and top highest grossing Japanese film on the respective countries
>Inexplicably jumps 41% in the Japanese box office and climbs from 7th place to 3rd place in one week
>On the verge of surpassing Spirited Away's worldwide gross, making it the highest grossing anime of all time
>Still in the top 10 in the Japanese box office towards the beginning of 2017

So this is meme magic. Not bad.

what stuff do YOU like then

>>H&C and Nodame are bad
>Not his fault your taste is terrible.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he probably likes H&C and Nodame, genius.

What's the update on the gross? Has it surpassed Spirited Away yet?

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

>it's still in the theaters
>it's still in the top five movies after so many months

Haven't seen this much play for a movie since Titanic, tbqhf.

you have to add extra half hour for landing procedures.

>only to find time
Jesus Christ that plot description is a total spoiler.

Not yet, with inflation rate, Spirited away's grossing would be around $360-400m.

I remember at least two scenes where the animation dropped to 10 fps which was surprising for this movie.

I can only guess that Japan is much more forgiving than the west when it comes to skimping on animation frames.

Maybe because it's 2D animation?

>I can only guess that Japan is much more forgiving than the west when it comes to skimping on animation frames.
How is this even a guess? Of course they are, 8/12fps is the standard for most anime. I believe the only full-1s anime ever is still Akira.

Wait. I only heard about its legend.
How many animator are killed during the production?

>meme magic

But Sup Forums had nothing to do with its success tho.

They cut all the services right before landing, so even less time

i liked it

but it wasn't as good as keit-ai

Finally have the chance to watch it here. Really love the time traveling theme and how they connect things together using small stuffs.
I thought it gonna have sad ending because of Shinkai and some comments here but unexpectedly a good one instead.

was the theater packed?

Only 60% seats filled because it was first screened yesterday and I went at noon. I wish it were less crowed tho.

I wish KyoAni would unironically adapt Keit-ai.

thanks for spoiling and considere to kill yourself, vietcong

>tfw my shitty country even gets to screen it but yours doesn't
:^)

>Thinking your 3rd world country with communist Gov is better than other's
>Try to learn English and read the FAQ, seem like they didn't edu you properly[\spoiler]
>and thanks god, no one die ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ [\spoiler]

>01 (03)¥261,000,000($2.3 million),+08%, ¥23,350,000,000 ($221.9 million),Your Name.(Toho) WK21
>02 (---)¥250,000,000($2.2 million), 0, ¥250,000,000 ($2.2 million),Honnouji Hotel(Toho) NEW
>03 (01)¥183,000,000($1.6 million),-36%, ¥3,675,000,000 ($31.8 million),Resident Evil: The Final Chapter(Sony) WK4
>04 (02)¥159,000,000($1.4 million),-37%, ¥4,150,000,000 ($36.0 million),Rogue One: A Star Wars Story(Disney) WK5
>05 (04)¥119,000,000($1.1 million),-47%, ¥3,000,000,000 ($25.9 million),Yo-Kai Watch: The Movie 3(Toho) WK5
>06 (---)¥115,000,000($1.0 million), 0, ¥115,000,000 ($1.0 million),Sentai Zyuohger vs. Ninninger: Super Sentai's Message(Toei) NEW
>07 (05)¥109,000,000($950,000),-35%, ¥7,025,000,000 ($62.2 million),Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them(Warner Bros.) WK8
>08 (10)¥108,000,000($940,000),+41%, ¥1,300,000,000 ($11.3 million),In This Corner of the World(Tokyo Theaters, Co.) W10
>09 (06)¥74,000,000($645,000),-38%, ¥2,050,000,000 ($17.6 million),A Man Called Pirate(Toho) WK6
>10 (07)¥52,000,000($455,000),-49%, ¥1,150,000,000 ($10.1 million),The Mole Song 2: Hong Kong Crazy Uproar Song(Toho) WK4

Kimi no Na Wa is a fucking monster. If it has the same screening period as Spirited Away, it will beat all the record eventually. Good to see that het love can still win the public when TV is conquered by homos.

what maes Keit-Ai better?

It's been almost a month! When is it going to surpass Titanic, Frozen, and Spirited Away!?

wat that

Where can I buy Kuchikamizake?

Sell in Hida, Gifu.

>unu no naha
Please let there be an emotional お前はもう死んでいる panel.

The movie is nice. What pisses me off is how miyazaki shitters (normies) are hyping it even if it's no better than any other Matoko Shinkai's movie or even regular anime. I fucking hate these bandwagoning hipster faggots who felt "delighted and enchanted" after watching the movie in theatre but won't even consider watching standard anime afterward.

Finally found a comrade here
Gonna watch it next Tuesday when Galaxy's tickets are cheaper

I really don't think Shinkai will be able to create a better movie than this, it's probably going to stand as his magnum opus. It was more a stroke of luck than anything else that it turned out so well.

I'd enjoy being wrong though, but I really don't think he's a new Miyazaki or Walt Disney.

What I like about kimi no wa is number.
Yes number. I am eager to see kimi no wa keked evangelion, miyakazi, and others anime sales number.

I can only wait patiently for the bd rip

After fifteen years of loyally torrenting and downloading from IRC, this is going to be the first anime and manga related merchandize I'm going to buy.

Then again buying this movie is more equivalent of buying a Disney or Pixar movie than buying anime to be quite honest.

I agreed with you in term of story telling, but you can imagine it having Kotoha no Niwa quality. What Shinkai could improve in his next work is schedule management.

Then again Lion King also had schedule management problems.

Doesn't mean that Your Name has to be Shinkai's magnum opus. But I also think this is the highest grossing he could get.

Don't think any Disney or Pixar film is this emotional to begin with, they're much more shallow (although Your Name certainly isn't deep either)

it's a film for normie.
I hate normie.
I used to like Shinkai films because of his autistic virgin mindset, but now he fell into normieside.
Die Shinkai.

As someone who spends little to no time in Sup Forums because.... well it's Sup Forums, I liked it. It was fun to indulge in that childhood fantasy of having a soulmate or someone special for you, having a connection that goes beyond the normal world. You know, magical, and having magical stuff happen to you.

I didn't see the twist coming that she was dead for three years because of the comic. I did notice that it was weird he didn't know about the comic and no one was talking about it in his world, but it was pretty well written to make me not question it. It is usually pretty obvious to see Chekhov's Gun and realize what they are trying to hide but they hid it pretty well.

Beyond that the art was outstanding and the music was amazing.

The whole amnesia thing with them forgetting their names kinda frustrated me but it made sense from a dream standpoint. I also thought the ending was perfect with leaving their relationship up to our imagination. I'm glad they realized that was the end of the story and to end it there instead of indulging the viewers.

The only critique I have is their meeting on the edge of the crater where she has a little bit of a moment of tsundere trope and he stands there not doing anything, as if the amnesia was already setting in. I thought they really squandered that meeting between themselves and I thought the story wasted what could have been a heartfelt moment during all the chaos.

So 8/10

Nice. I will rewatch it again maybe we could meet at Nguyen Du.

I'm gonna buy shit too. Probably just the blue ray but still something. I finally have a job so I'd like to support the industry when it doesn't something right for a change.

It'd be really sick if they sold the drawings Taki created, I'd love a copy of the town and the lake.

Yep, I love disney but usually its forced in like the beginning of Up. Then again its hard to reach this level of emotion. I mean to have a connection with someone and then realize they are gone. Fuuuuuuck that. I teared up so badly.

YOU WA FIND (a way)

What I don't get why they didn't try to call each other or meet each other before. Seems like a human thing to do, curiosity et al

Maybe more impactful revelation? (from emotion standpoint).
In the novel, which finished before the anime. Taki mentioned that they tried to contact each other before.

I'm fine with that, it would kind of ruin the magic. I mean swapping bodies and lives and leaving notes for each other written on your bodies and in your journals? It makes sense that they wouldn't want to spoil the magic. Ironically right when Taki did call everything stopped. Might have been coincidence but you never know

I watched this on the plane too, when the titty scenes came up the stranger next to me was just looking at the screen with intrigue and possibly disgust.

It could have been much worse. I thought they handled it pretty well.

Also the scene where he finally swaps with her the last time and is crying while holding her breasts because he didn't lose her completely yet was hilariously heart warming

>right when Taki did call, everything stopped
It would have made sense for it to stop after the cometh. But the girl called him before already as well when she tried to find him in Tokyo. So it is obvious the frequency never worked out.

did you grope your own breasts

>wouldnt spoilt the magic
if you mean the creator, yeah, but any human would fucking call them and whatnot because it is their own body someone is using.

>he's 22 and hasn't got a job
>she's 25

it's kinda sad that she's probably a single christmas cake, and the only way she can go on living is by marrying a jobless NEET who's only interested in her breasts

>tfw 8 star rating system

I didn't know Shinkai made the opening for Ef: A fairy tale of the two. Learn something new every day.

youtu.be/5pzRAoMD7H0

It climbed back to #1?!

but the movie got 9 stars

UNSTOPPABLE

triforce

This

I thought they were the same age?

>it climbed back to no. 1

This is Trump level shit, yo. Meme magic is scary.

kek confirms

Read the translation of the LN, it is explicitly stated there that both tried to call each other, but they weren't able to reach each other.

Yeah seriously, has it surpassed Spirited Away yet or not?

Still a long way to go, Spirited Away's total gross in Japan is over ¥30 billion.