Original Soundtrack [OST]

So, anyone who regularly listens to anime original soundtracks as a whole CDs? What are your favourites from the last year? Favourite pieces which never get old? Your favourite composers? And what are you looking forward this year?

This year was pretty strong for OST CDs in general. Iwasaki Taku created one of his best in Bungou Stray Dogs 01 and 02 (and also one of his worst with Qualidea Code). Ike Yoshihiro's grand orchestrations proved to be a perfect fit for Yuu Gi Ou! THE DARK SIDE OF DIMENSIONS. Ooshima Michiru created absolutely marvelous music for Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. Kaida Shougo stringed musical score for 91Days was fabulous, just as Oshio Koutarou's light guitar and piano pieces for Doukyuusei. Tsutsumi Hiroaki and Kikuchi Naruyoshi proved to be one of the most promising talents. Tsutsumi with his fantastic Kuromukuro OST and OST2 discs and Kikuchi with his absolutely fantastic free jazz Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt score. And of course there were moreā€¦

But what ultimately blew me away was kotringo's Kono sekai no katasumi ni OST. What an utter joy that CD is. I never really paid much attention to kotringo, only ever listening to her Tsubame Novelette concept album from 2013 but oh dear, KonoSekai OST made me incredibly aware of her.a

youtu.be/C8IYZkoWodE

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/taque68/status/778413287935311872
youtube.com/watch?v=I9yKWYuwMIk
youtu.be/UctHHa-kQ_c?t=10m31s
youtu.be/EAIokaHuMl4
youtube.com/watch?v=PesSt8-naDY
youtube.com/watch?v=0sN-ScjEuXA
youtube.com/watch?v=7Dj1QYHir4A
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1zP1YZuWQUlHZtyDMd-s1UbNV-guxdvP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Iwasaki Taku created one of his best in Bungou Stray Dogs 01 and 02

They didn't include that track in both albums. You know which one I'm talking about.

> They didn't include that track in both albums.
Happens all the time. One of the worst cases was probably Texhnolyze which on its original soundtrack CDs featured mostly unused tracks and different arranges. Many pieces used in the anime were nowhere to be found on the CDs. Even though that despite that the CDs were still quite good, it was a bit shame.

>listens to anime original soundtracks as a whole CD
Wouldn't say tracks are usually placed in right order to make it really pleasant to listen to a whole CD in one go.
Reminds me of that track from first episode of Hellsing TV anime.

seriously what's the point of an OST if it doesn't include the music? I remember this one awesome track from the Cowboy Bebop movie that can't be found in any official release. So there are only shitty edited versions in the web, which fucking sucks

Generally, the CDs are supposed to not simply compile all used music from the project but provide a "pleasing audio experience". Often composer, producer, mixer and sometimes director get together and try to create a well put-together product using music from the project. It's not just (though sometimes it is) smashing everything onto a CD set and putting it out. The music libraries for a project are significantly larger than what we get officially released on CD and even what gets actually used in the project.

ITT : Literal Virgins

stellar post, here's your (you)

Yuyushiki
Ping Pong
Tsuritama
Yuri Kuma Arashi

are all good. I need more laidback OSTs in my life.

>Iwasaki Taku created one of his best in Bungou Stray Dogs 01 and 02 (and also one of his worst with Qualidea Code).

Iwasaki hated Qualidea Code and purposefully made the music as obnoxious and modern Hollywood as possible. He whined about it on Twitter too. Possibly one of the most spiteful people in the whole anime industry.

Link to the tweets?

twitter.com/taque68/status/778413287935311872

Soundtrack of the year belongs to Yoko Kanno for Naotora. Technically not anime, but it's Yoko fucking Kanno so shuddup.

Just listen to this shit:

youtube.com/watch?v=I9yKWYuwMIk

> I need more laidback OSTs in my life.
I can wholeheartedly recommend last year's Doukyuusei OST composed by Oshio Koutarou. Also, Tsutsumi Hiroaki really proved himself last year and next to Kuromukuro also managed to compose orange which also features lost of nice laidback pieces. I'm looking forward to his Long Riders! OST which will be released on 1st March, which should also be full of tasteful laidback tracks.

youtu.be/UctHHa-kQ_c?t=10m31s
youtu.be/EAIokaHuMl4

Currently looking forward to Flip Flappers OST and Sangatsu no Lion OST. Though Sangatsu is distributed by Aniplex which once again means no regular CD release. OST CDs will be only packed with BD Box releases. Dammit, Aniplex, enough with this, please.

I don't listen to anyting else desu.

Ristorante Paradiso and Tsuritama have the best comfy OSTs

>Iwasaki Taku created one of his best in Bungou Stray Dogs 01 and 02
>Bungou Acidjazz
youtube.com/watch?v=PesSt8-naDY
Jesus

Kabaneri had a pretty good soundtrack too. Especially the OP and ED.

I also liked the second Kuromukuro ED.

>thinking that sounds bad

shit taste nigga

>implying i even implied that
Alright then, let me "rephrase" it for you

Yoko Kanno is really one of the most if not THE most talented composer out there. I still catch myself listening to the Terror in Resonance OST, it's really such a shame she doesn't compose for anime as often.

Iwasaki whines about everything he works on because he thinks he's too good for anime. I don't understand why he's still in the industry.

Most of his stuff isn't even that good because he fills it with sub-Sawano tier vocals and chanting.

>Most of his stuff isn't even that good because he fills it with sub-Sawano tier vocals and chanting.

The gap between Iwasaki and Sawano is so large you could fir Jupiter between it. Iwasaki destroyed almost every other living composer with his Kenshin debut. The only reason he's going full wub and electronic is because he's mastered traditional music. Listen to his older stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=0sN-ScjEuXA

Speaking of which, any musicfags here?
youtube.com/watch?v=7Dj1QYHir4A
Anyone know the time signature for 2:37 onwards?

>I don't understand why he's still in the industry.

Because anime music gives some of the most freedom to composers. Unlike Hollywood where you have literally a couple weeks to write a soundtrack, and have to follow temp tracks.

>sub-Sawano tier vocals and chanting

Iwasaki doesn't have garbage singers like AIMER for one.

CHECK IT OUT PARTY PEEPS
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1zP1YZuWQUlHZtyDMd-s1UbNV-guxdvP

The Katanagatari OST.

>sub-Sawano tier
>thinking you can do worse than Sawano [nZk]

SaWAAAAHnofags are the worst.