Why are millennials spending large amounts of money on Pokemon cards?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NlsF9bVXLyA
m.ebay.com/itm/Beckett-10-PRISTINE-Eng-2003-Skyridge-Crystal-Holo-CHARIZARD-146-POP-1/122831056320?hash=item1c994d2dc0:g:QEAAAOSwTQtZ-NVd
ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Card-1st-Edition-Mewtwo-Base-Set-10-102-PSA-10-Gem-Mint/322906251265?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41451&meid=1609c047e6624c5190a810c9ceba3370&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=122831056320&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Why are baby boomers spending large amounts of money on baseball cards?

>Why are greatest generationers spending large amounts of money on stamps?

Some weird fetish i guess. or child like brains

regression

I've noticed this, too. The Pokemon Company must be fucking ecstatic.

Why are Silent Generations spending large amounts of money on cigarette cards?

You're about a decade out of touch OP

This. Pokemon cards are millenial's version of collector items. I am sure the WW2 generation thought collecting baseball cards was retarded too

>You're about a decade out of touch OP

youtube.com/watch?v=NlsF9bVXLyA

We want to remain in suspended adolescence.

>bullshit ebay price
Yeah, no, this ain't Magic. Pokemon cards ain't worth shit. Well, not singles, sealed you can move

I might have a few of those laying around, if those retards are buying them, I might have to try to find them. Hopefully they aren't destroyed by moisture.

Pokemon hasn't been an interesting theme since like 2003.

why do millennials look like webm related?

pokemon card are the new bitcoin

You talking shit about games?

I feel sorry for that couch

delet dis

That firat edition Charizard fetches a good penny.

On a similar note, an Alpha Black Lotus could let me live 24 months without working or collecting unemployment. Living well within my means.

>Hopefully they aren't destroyed by moisture.
its only worth that much if its in pristine condition, definitely never been used by kids playing the game

Hahaha now THAT is a good question.

>On a similar note, an Alpha Black Lotus could let me live 24 months without working or collecting unemployment. Living well within my means.
yeah but those are rare as hell, the alpha run was really short

Welp, there goes that.

Android Netrunner is pretty fun

>I'm a very lucky guy
>My brain is so broken that I make videos about buying cardboard mass-produced art at crazy mark-ups because "muh nostalgia"

Yeah, choose one. I certainly wouldn't think I was a lucky parent if that was my son, LOL

PSA 10 cards from trading games are pretty rare, even if you had them graded freshly from an unopened booster you wouldnt get straight 10s.

The other thing worth considering is that they are an easy way to launder money and they hold their value decently well.

SOURCE FOR CRINGE PURPOSES

pour faver folks

Holy shit I have a holo Charizard somewhere at my parents' place. They go for 20k now?

some cinemassacre christmas special i assume, never saw it so it might be new?

It's not millennials, it's slightly older people going back and re-living their childhoods. This happened for stamps, comics and baseball cards too.

I remember the baseball card boom. There were shops everywhere and it was always high flying 30 somethings buying cases.

If its an early one and perfect condition - remember not only did kids play with them but the foil naturally causes the cards to bend with time.

Just like in magic there are very specific cards with value. Pokemon just doesn't have any eternal formats, so nobody is seeking cards for their power.

m.ebay.com/itm/Beckett-10-PRISTINE-Eng-2003-Skyridge-Crystal-Holo-CHARIZARD-146-POP-1/122831056320?hash=item1c994d2dc0:g:QEAAAOSwTQtZ-NVd

Neither magic nor Pokemon are more than a fart in a windstorm compared to real art collecting.

>When mommy wommy bought you a pack of pokemon cards instead of yugioh

All this gamer nerd shit is just an escape because the real world has become so shitty. I'm not a gamer/nerd myself but I don't blame all your guys that stay in your room all day playing video games because the real world is incredibly depressing.

Kek I still have this card

ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Card-1st-Edition-Mewtwo-Base-Set-10-102-PSA-10-Gem-Mint/322906251265?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41451&meid=1609c047e6624c5190a810c9ceba3370&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=122831056320&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Mike really needs some new friends.

Ever hear of the words collector and collectables

>(((art collecting)))

>tfw I lent my good cards to a friend back in school which proceeded to avoid me so much Im sure he was always looking around the corners for years (seriously, the guy was almost invisible)
Im sure I had a charizard and a mewtwo there, along other things. each time Isee news like this my heart and my wallet hurt

Same reason people spend large amounts of money on defunct, devalued currency from collapsed or extinct civilizations.

Its not as bad as you think, 99.5% of pokemon cards will never come close to being this valuable.

yes, I know, I still have the ones that arent worth anything. or should I say, I only have those now

I opened a pack a week or 2 ago
Got a $40 secret rare

You can probably get $50 depending on the edition and how close to mint it is.

Yeah, sealed boosters on the other hand.

The pokemon collecting communities are extremely normal, and the reason is that it was well designed as a game, the powerful cards were not really expensive, there has been WC decks that were as cheap as $300 total, sure sounds like a lot but with $300 you couldnt do shit in other competitive card games. Working on a store i actually was surprised how normal pokemonfags were, compared to weeboos and nerds, the only ones that are more normie were the toy train guys.

I have two of those cards.

Had one of these in 1999, got it the first pack of cards I ever bought.

Lost it few years later, kek.

I have one of those too!

i used to have a few of those :(

Wish i had that Black Lotus. sick condition.

A girl who had a crush on me in grade 4 gave me one of those Charizards because she liked me, I didnt even ask.
Life is easy when youre good looking.

Not 1st Edition. $20,000 dollars is ridiculous tho. You could buy one for $500 a year ago.

I guarantee not a single person in that webm has ever played any sport

Those aren't shadowless you fucking casual

You should see it when people share "most valuable Pokémon cards" lists on Facebook. You see dozens of faggots that had like 50 cards, tops, back in 1999-2001 tagging friends and asking if they had any. All the cards in the list end up being super rare tournament promos, prizes and 1st edition misprints that were rare enough when it was big. As bad as people ITT, if not worse.

>As bad as people ITT
>One guy posted two cards
Uh huh