Can anyone legitimately dispute this being the greatest anime of all time?

Can anyone legitimately dispute this being the greatest anime of all time?

Yes, people can like different things.

>liking something and quality of production are the same thing
You're a stupid idiot.

Do you seriously think that this is the best Japanese animation has to offer in terms of quality?

Yes. Taking everything into account from the thought provoking character exploration, to the incredible visual direction, animation, and the mind-blowing soundtrack, all wrapped in a tight 50 minute viewing experience, there isn't a single anime that tops it.

That one line about dreams not being an escape somehow made the short no longer flawless to me, even if you can argue that the entire animation after they dock in was about that. The visuals are off the charts, though.

From what I understand considerable effort went into the animation and visuals but it's hardly unique in that aspect. Everything else is about average and the story and characters are laughably simplistic which kind of brings the overall impression down a notch or two.

>Everything else is about average and the story and characters are laughably simplistic
Do elaborate. I'm interested to see how you embarrass yourself.

I've elaborated as much as you have.
You are the one making ridiculous claims.

I asked a question. You responded with a shallow claim stating everything is "laughably simplistic", and when you're asked to elaborate, you resort to "y-you haven't said anything yet".

You're a moron, simple as that. No surprise you thought the film was simplistic; it wasn't made for morons.

Not him, but people thinking that any fiction is objectively superior always make me laugh. It all depends on your perception and and can't be understood however many words you use when "explaining" your position.

This thread

You didn't ask a question.You made a generalized statement and I responded with another generalized statement.
I didn't say "everything" was laughably simplistic. I said that "story and characters" are laughably simplistic.

It's true though, my taste will always be superior. Not that I care for this thread or the topic.

OP getting rekt in his own thread

I'd argue that Jin Roh is better than Magnetic Rose in every way.

>I said that "story and characters" are laughably simplistic.
Which proves you're an idiot.

Nope. Visuals and atmosphere are about equal, but Magnetic Rose'e script blows Jin Roh out of the water.

Jin-Roh fell apart a bit toward the end. Magnetic Rose is literal perfection and leaves nothing unfinished.

OK.I am. Explain to me in detail how deep they are.

>OK.I am
Good to see you at least admit you're a retard.

>Explain to me in detail how deep they are.
A broken woman distraught from having her voice taken from her murders her fiance when he stops loving her, and builds a place where she can pretend nothing went wrong and wallow in her memories. That sets everything up.

Then you have Heintz' story, which is masterfully told through imagery alone. You know he has a daughter when the captain mentions her, then he sees the doll fall from the table and a vision of a girl falling from the ceiling, invoking a sad memory. Eva then shows him just how tempting a lie can be through even more visions, but he ultimately overcomes it to stay in reality.

The genius of all this is that every element of this story was laid out perfectly. Nothing comes out of nowhere, everything was established using in-universe logic that is completely sound. It did everything to build up to that one climactic point and succeeded perfectly.

wew

It's definitely fantastic. Anime needs more of that.

Good. Those are the rather generic setup and plot development. And where is the thought provoking character exploration?

>Those are the rather generic setup
Not everything needs to have a wild, abstract setup, idiot. What the setup is has no bearing on the actual quality.

>And where is the thought provoking character exploration?
I just detailed that, idiot. Evidently your comprehension is as bad as your criticism.

And then Magnetic Rose was like "you mustn't run away."

I liked Cannon Fodder more, but Magnetic Rose was also excellent.

>not Stink Bomb

Both crap. Otomo can't write.

We all know Violet Evergarden is the greatest anime of all time.

"My Little Pony Friendship is Magic" is the greatest anime of all times.

For dumbshits like you, yes, it certainly is.

That's very rude and very presumptuous.

>presumptuous
You shouldn't use words you don't know the meaning of.

>Not everything needs to have a wild, abstract setup
Of course not. You just gushed about how well the information was presented when it's a pretty typical mystery/thriller approach. It's fine.

Having bare-bones characterization that is there just to justify the plot and the cookie-cutter pathetic excuse of a moral is not deep character exploration.

>Having bare-bones characterization
Thank you for once again confirming your stupidity.

Yes, there will be something greatest. So it isn't.

stink bomb was the best memory.

Don't know if it is the best, but certainly my all time favorite.

Okay, but Ghibli movies still shit all over this.

You're welcome.

I didnt understand why the crew got hypnotized.

You clearly don't know shit about shit.

Quality thread.

No they don't. They're grand in scale, low on substance. Magnetic Rose is better than every single Ghibli movie.

AHHAHAHA

What a pleb.

>underage idiot
Job done I guess.

My taste is objectively superior in every way to your shit taste though

''Quality of production'' is subjective as it gets and if you mean production values, then Magnetic rose falls short compared to many other films.

>''Quality of production'' is subjective
No it isn't. I can conclusively say it's better than Mars of Destruction, and you'd have to be retarded to suggest otherwise.

>No it isn't. I can conclusively say it's better than Mars of Destruction
Nope, you can't. Any attempt of trying to explain why one is better than the other will be based on your own personal perspective. The very reasons that make you like Magnetic Rose may be the reasons for someone disliking It and the same goes for Mars of Destruction.
>But my points make more sense!
Doesn't matter, you simply can't prove him wrong objectively. Every claim or explanation you make will fall upon subjectivity and arbitrarity and may be more or less true depending on who is reading or listening them.
>But everyone says that Mars is shit and magnetic rose is bad
So you are saying that we consensus is what dictates quality?

I will say in advance that you simply can't win this, kid. But do try.

Yes, Steins;Gate exists.

So did the German guy die at the end or what? His crew's ship got pulled in but wasn't he just drifting through space?

It's one of my favorite films of all time and it's what I show people when I want to try to get someone interested in anime without alienating them and making them think I'm a fag.
I point to the innovative perspective shots, the integration of old and cutting edge techniques at the time, the gorgeous visuals and realistic physics and that score, saxophone has rarely been so haunting. The HR Geiger/Ridley Scott vibes get me every time in the set design.

One of my personal 10s OP

>someone interested in anime without alienating them and making them think I'm a fag
Any Satoshi Kon stuff is fine for this.

Perfect Blue and Millennium actress are too real for most people, too Japanese, watching magnetic rose or stink bomb people are shocked by how detailed and representative animation can be of a scifi story.

I wish people weren't so quick to judge, but whatever

>Nope, you can't
Stupidity confirmed. Not reading the rest of your post.

No, I'm sure he floated safely back to Earth and lived happily ever after.

Wtf did you expect from something with the length of a 1/3 movie?
A good character isn't something you get by giving him a complex personality with tons of situations to show how he'd react.
Given the time the characters are "simple" but very effective. If you actually think "bare bones" and "cookie cutter" are words to describe this movie i guess i can't help you anymore

>muh objective quality
Fuck off, nigger. "Greatest" is not and will never be independent of what you like.

Nothing to do with what I like, it just happens to be the most well-made anime ever.

Grave of the Fireflies tries to evoke emotion from the audience with scenes that have no diegetic reason to exist, like a montage of setsuko doing little girl things, and the mc staring into the camera at the end to impose guilt on the viewer

In Magnetic Rose, everything Heintz has witnessed, the audience has witnessed, meaning his reactions inform the audience's reaction, richly engaging the viewer with his emotions

Sorry you were stupid enough to be moved by a character breaking the fourth wall.

What is this about?

>A deep space salvage freighter is out on a mission when it encounters a distress signal and responds to it. They come upon a spaceship graveyard orbiting a giant space station. The crew's two engineers, Heintz and Miguel, enter it to get a closer look.
That's all you need to know. Do yourself a favor and watch it.

Okay, I'll try to watch it tomorrow. Playing Pokemon Moon right now.

>montage of setsuko doing little girl things, and the mc staring into the camera at the end to impose guilt on the viewer
That's literally only the last 5 minutes of the entire movie though.

Worst Kon

Yes, I said it.
It helps that it's his first too.

>Yes, I said it.
and it means nothing.

>That's literally only the last 5 minutes of the entire movie though.
Also known as the climax.
Also known as the point the film builds towards, as the start illustrated.
Also know as the moment people(retards) cite as one of the saddest moments in cinematic history when it's just emotional exposition.

Grave of the Fireflies is absolute garbage, and I mean that with sincerity.

It's definitely the best horror anime, but not the best overall.

Miguel could've used a lot more development in order to make his decision at the end make a lot more sense. If it had just 10 more minutes it would have been totally flawless.

What decision? Him losing himself to reality?

The film was never about Miguel; he was only ever a prop. This was Heintz's story.

The whole gimmick of the ship is that allows people to live in their cherished memories forever. The illusions Miguel saw should've been similar to Heintz's, in that they were related to a precious memory he didn't want to let go of.

Plus, I just don't buy that Miguel would be mind broken immediately after touching the signal source, especially since the illusions are a product of technology, not magic.

Also, how the computer was able to get an extensive record of Heintz's past and how Eva was able to afford to build the ship to begin with are questionable.

All of that could've been answered if the film had just a little more time.

>The whole gimmick of the ship
>gimmick

Hey, that's totally unnecessary. You must not explain these things in detail in a story like this. You can completely understand Heintz's or Eva's past enough to see what's going on. This is the story about memories and however sweet they are, it can ruin you. And Miguel was seduced by Eva into believing he is her fiancée. Because was looking forward to seeing his girlfriend again.

>it just happens to be the most well-made anime ever
Define what that means without reference to what you like. Then explain how that relates to "greatest anime of all time", again without reference to what you like.

>scenes that have no diegetic reason to exist
What does that mean?