Why didn't Yang just side with Rhinehard and use it as an easier route for peace and unification?

Why didn't Yang just side with Rhinehard and use it as an easier route for peace and unification?

Pre-2000s anime and manga thread, let's discuss the oldies.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tagqe9pSuWI
youtube.com/watch?v=tLK-F8lSrGw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Fourth_Republic#Prime_Ministers
youtube.com/watch?v=78juY_OcxrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because his men wouldn't approve and he didn't want to let them down.

Imagine spending your entire life fighting the oppression of the empire, only for your commander to go "lol nevermind, the war was pointless let's just join them"

He also said he doesn't trust dictatorships, in that the current leader might be good, but the ones to follow are always shit

Because Yang was a firm believer in the merits of democracy.

Trunith more than likely would've gotten more support in such a scenario but it's interesting to think about.

Yang wasn't advocating for peace. He was just a fierce supporter of Democracy.
Siding with Reinhard kinda defeats his purpose.

Did Yang ever feel bad for blowing up millions of drafted soldiers?

He did, he even reflects on it before the battle of Vermillion.

>MUH DEMOCRACY
>MUH PENSION
that's why. it's frustrating, but that's how he is.

I only wish he had had more flaws like Reinhard. I liked him a lot, but after a while and dozens of perfect victories and stratagems, it's almost annoying when his biggest character "flaw" is that he's a bit awkward. Well, that and stumbling around like an idiot and getting himself shot.

Yang should've had better protection with him and shouldn't have based his security around who he could beat in chess.

Yang had plenty of flaws, probably more than Reinhard whose only real flaw was continuing to wage war because he didn't have anything else to do. Yang was useless below the neck, lazy, an alcoholic, and committed to his ideals of democracy to such an insane degree that he lost the war even though he had the opportunity to kill Reinhard.

Because he loved Democracy

He was an alcoholic, lacked discipline, didn't clean behind himself to the point his adopted son ended up doing most chores for him. I wouldn't say being ankward was his only flaw.

Lazy, pessimistic alcoholic that can't even feed himself properly without his houseboy who was forever alone until his 30s when the only woman he got was seduced as a child. His flaws are largely personal as opposed to professional.

Except for the fact that if Yang weren't such a slave to the democratic process he would have saved millions of lives and likely ended the war earlier and preserved the FPA.

>corrupt retard FPA government launches invasion and puts retards in charge
"Oh well I'll just follow orders since we arrived at this point through democracy"
>His wife's dad launches a coup to try to stop the FPA from bleeding out due to assholes like Truniht
"Oh well guess I'll kill all of you since this coup has to temporarily suspend democracy until they get a new one running, instead of trying to work with you well intentioned individuals"
>Shithead politicians order Yang to surrender and to not kill Reinhard to save their own pathetic lives
"I'll listen, because you guys are democratically elected"

Schenkopp basically said as much throughout the series. If Yang weren't such a cunt and took charge of the coup he could have forced Reinhard into peace easy.

The galaxy where the FPA coup wins everything is going to probably lead to a worse dictator, unpredictable chaos, mass starvation, and lawlessness. The Empire at least had centuries old infrastructure and tradition to fall back on to prevent the chaos and starvation, and a solid core of supporters not looking to dick over their leader and become the new dictator.

What a bad way to start a retro thread, I almost skipped it because it was at the bottom. And starting with a discussion about something really mainstream is also the perfect way to kill diversity.

I'm currently watching Princess Nine, and I really like it. The romance can be a bit annoying, but bearable, and the characters are really charming with great character design, wonderful animation, good background music, funny and nice to watch, it just makes me smile, but the emotional parts work well too. Unless it completely messes up the last six episodes, this will probably become one of my favourite 1998 anine, at least it will make my '98 3x3, if I make one.
I strongly recommend this anime.

>instead of trying to work with you well intentioned individuals
>well intentioned individuals
Kek
youtube.com/watch?v=Tagqe9pSuWI
20:37

>Why didn't Yang just side with Rhinehard and use it as an easier route for peace and unification?

because he stuck true to what he was fighting for that he decided with his own principles

Literally all the time.

He was a failure of a person aside from being amazing at his job and having a great wife.

Based on what? The coup leaders for the most part intended to restore democracy, and if Yang would have helped them and taken charge it all would have turned out peachy.
The coup brass, not the idiot grunts.

Every military coup with good intentions ever in the history of mankind?

Was Yang autistic?

he was a teafag. As a coffee patrician fan i felt disgusted by his tastes.

Probably somewhere between 30-60% of the main cast of LoGH is on the spectrum.

And I'm not just talking about the rainbow spectrum.

Because siding with autocracy totally begets his character? If, say Yang did join Reinhard, Oberstein would have likely plotted against him anyway and have him indirectly killed off, much like with Kirecheis.
But even so, Yang didn't need to side with Reinhard to achieve peace. By refusing to shoot Reinhard down and allowing the Empire their victory, he still achieved his peace. The only reason Yang continued to fight was because of his desire to maintain at least one bastion of democracy.
If Yang hadn't died, El Facil would have been that system, but since he died, Julian was able to negotiate for Heinessen which holds far more political weight than El Facil would.

Why would Yang want to preserve the FPA? It was a crumbling democratic system. If Yang had saved the FPA (assuming Yang would never take the reigns of governance, because really, he wouldn't ever have), they probably would have offed Yang since the Empire would have lost most of its military capacity. Yang did in a way achieve peace though by letting Reinhard win the war, with the perseverance of democracy in the end.

Oh I've been wanting to watch that's. Tomomi Mochizuki before he got bad. Does it have the same kind of pacing as something like Zettai Shounen or House of Five Leaves?

Iserlohn best girl.

>To the blightest star on the heavenwy scream!
4th OP == Worst OP

You're right, but it's good when I pretend the singer is singing proper English in my head.

>siding with nazis
disgusting

>tfw you realize that you've been watching in the wrong language all along

>Rhinehard

What are some other scenes where they talk about foppery and whim? I need to make more comparison pics.

I'm convinced that was one of the reasons his drinking was starting to get out of hand around the time Julian left for Earth.

Oberstein did nothing wrong.
Also best op: youtube.com/watch?v=tLK-F8lSrGw

>prussian
>nazi

Even if you ignore his personal defects, Yang was an indecisive and ideologically driven autist that could have saved his nation and prevented millions upon millions of lives from being wasted if he had stepped up when it needed him to. First taking over and heading a provisional government after the coup and calling for new elections under the condition the winner has to sue for peace with the Kaiser (whom he already knew would be Reinhart even before things went to shit in both the Alliance and the Empire with their civil wars).

His second and last chance was at Vermillion, when he should have just blown the Brunhild to hell and let the Empire collapse into real anarchy. This would have saved the Alliance but its fleet and economy were already so spent they couldn't possibly have stabilized the mess they'd have next door and a lot more people would die over maybe decades until some admiral, noble or worse, Terraists emerged on top, but by then the FPA would be in much better shape to either win a much quicker war or deter the new entity from starting shit again.

No matter how you see it, he did do a lot of things wrong.

>If Yang had saved the FPA (assuming Yang would never take the reigns of governance, because really, he wouldn't ever have)
This. They did it to Bruce Ashbey after he had scored one of the greatest Alliance victories because he was becoming both too popular with the people and powerful within the military.

>Spanish subs
Back to anime de la grasa

I have a feeling Oberstein despised even Reinhard, that speech when he wanted to use all those important hostages to force Iserlohn to surrender is very telling

S-sorry, kakka...

Holy kek, it's obvious they just BADLY translated the English subs. Out of morbid curiosity, how did they translate yare yare?

>want to get into it
>hear its a masterpiece
>check online
>110 episodes long

Just watch it.

Don't forget the two movies and the prequel gaidens.

You could watch just the first season and decide later whether or not to watch the rest.

The seasons don't end on cliff-hangers, so you won't have any false sense of urgency to make you watch the rest right away.

I powered through Zeta and ZZeta back to back, I think I can do this one, and probably enjoy it more too. Its just intimidating to see.

Give me a scene where he says it and I'll show you.

>tfw every anime I've been interested in watching for the past few years has been 50+ episodes

When talking to Bucock about how there could be a coup in the future around episode 20something.

Why do LOGH edits make me laugh so much?

Why do you think he kept drinking more and more as his career went on?

>when you enjoy the ride until the very last episode where the ending shits the bed
>when you watch the second season for closure that never comes

Because even when the Empire won it lost. Yang and Reinhard both knew this as students of history. Reinhard thought he could fix the system by committing radical reforms, there was every indication that the nobility were going to off him. The system had too much inertia. Ironically the Great Man theory that the series is so fixated on was ultimately defeated by the Iron Law of Institutions.

Yang on the other hand knew from the outset that the whole struggle was pointless. I can't be sure but I think it was Jessica who showed him that even though the government was awful, the people it served deserved better.

It was a lot better than the OVA.

Nice memory, although it's actually Bucock who says it, not Yang.

Ultimately I don't think the show was particularly great and attempting to split the focus between the three fields of politics, mecha, and occult created a mess where they tended to not have much to do with each other half the time, but it was engaging enough to watch I guess.

And then the ending went "hey evangelion had a weird ending, we can do that too right?" and it went poorly.

Actually not too bad, I was afraid it'd be baia baia

I haven't seen any of those, so I can't tell.

But it's not something deep and artsy, it's just really entertaining and makes you happy

>muh durrmocracy
>gotsta habs muh durrmocracy
When will this meme die?

What did the narrator mean by this?

How did they get away with this?

Saved.

>Why didn't Yang just side with Rhinehard and use it as an easier route for peace and unification?
plot
>Rhinehard: Hey why don't we just a constitution that limits the authority of the emperor and allow people to vote for a senate to represent them and to raise issues to the emperor

They should have just made the Emperor a CEO and established a board of directors that can depose him at any time by turning off all ships remotely. Turn the nobles into stock owners in proportion to how much land they own.

Nah, let's go with the commies. While on Earth, Julian should have rescued some Betamax videocassette tapes of Star Trek. He could have showed them to Reinhard and asked him to create Roddenberrian utopia for hippies.

>establish a board of directors that can depose him at any time
Kek, it might work for a company I dunno but political regimes that do that are too instable and don't last long.
Just look at this shit for instance en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Fourth_Republic#Prime_Ministers
Some didn't even last 1 month.

>why isn't the 19th century in space about super-corporations?????

You're more oblivious than Bittenfeld.

Wasn't the FPA founded to fight against the Goldenbaum dynasty? Why the fuck were they still fighting after Reinhard became emperor?

I don't think it was founded to fight against anything. It was just people who didn't want to live under the yoke of the Empire. Which is exactly why they kept fighting against Reinhard. Even if he's a good ruler he still was trying to conquer them because his dead boyfriend told him to take over the universe.

well FPA didn't fight the empire after Reinhard became the emperor.
it was iserlohn republic.

Pretty it was founded to fight tyranny and autocracy. I remember the Winsor Madam is the FPA council saying it was the FPA's ideological duty.

That's just rhetoric, it's bullshit. Ideology very rarely acts as the first mover in politics.

Never said it wasn't. That user only asked about the FPA's ideology, I'm answering in kind.
The only time it was brought up was as an argument to keep the war going despite economic depression. Because a military victory over the empire is a surefire way to get reelected the next year.

>I remember the Winsor Madam is the FPA council saying it was the FPA's ideological duty.

>that whole scene

I fucking loved that scene. A bit of a caricature maybe but at the same time not so much. youtube.com/watch?v=78juY_OcxrI

Still no news on the remake?

Just assume it's not coming and pretend not to wait for it. You'll feel better should it be canceled.
It's better to be suspicious of anime that are annonced without visuals.

>Ironically the Great Man theory that the series is so fixated on was ultimately defeated by the Iron Law of Institutions.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I got from the ending.
>Hilda might introduce a constitution but then people will want more and more representation
>There are plenty of people that still want to see her and her son dead in and outside the imperial government, or who were loyal to Reinhard but not the Empire
>Neue Land/the former Alliance space is a powder keg, specially with an autonomous, democratic Heinessen system
>Julian, arguably the only person that could lead an effective insurrection says he will be a soldier and keep fighting until autocracy is defeated, also Yang Wenli has become a martyr like no other
>The last legitimate Goldenbaum heir is still alive somewhere
>There are still people who remember fucking Westerland
Reinhard's empire is going to fall apart in 30 years or less.

Don't forget that he was also a bit racist.

kek

How did Yang acquire more ships for his fleet after he founded the Iserlohn Republic? I remember he ordered Merkatz to take the remaining ships he had into hiding, but was that really the bulk of it or was there a secret factory somewhere?

Don't quite remember, but didn't he collect ships from the remaining former FPA factories?

There was a scene where surrendered FPA forces were scuttling their ships (implicitly to comply with Empire orders to reduce or disband their fleet). Yang's people managed to reach in there and grab a few ships before they were destroyed, as well as some ex-FPA personnel.