Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

To clarify I mean in popularity and legacy not standalone quality.

Throughout the mid-80's to the early-90's, Dragon Ball had taken the world by storm. Nothing before was quite like it and it was like the largest thing in Japan. It's also a major inspiration for many other titles (even YYH and HxH take some major cues from DB) with no better example than One Piece.

I had always viewed One Piece as the true spiritual successor to Dragon Ball as no series besides really gave that same feeling... that quirky, simplex and epic story but the student may have surpassed the master. The One Piece manga has outsold the Dragon Ball manga making it the current best-selling manga series, the anime gets better tv ratings than Super (which is brand new), and the Film Z movie grossed more than either Battle of Gods or Resurrection F worldwide in Japan alone.

So how is it... did One Piece officially take the throne or does Dragon Ball still sit on top of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/a/thread/138794785
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In Japan one piece has taken the throne I'd say.

Worldwide dragon ball is still THE battle shonen

Worldwide: DB
Japan: Wan Piss

Nothing ever captured my heart quite like Naruto growing up like 10 years ago.

what about a hard cock you fucking faggot

Kinda crazy when you think about how this fact is most likely largely due to 4Kids destroying all the chances One Piece had America.

I think it's still fairly popular in some other countries, but during the prime time for it to come up alongside Bleach and Naruto in the 2000s, it just got the shaft HARD.

Agree with the others. DB is still recognized as the top worldwide and part of that is adults who wont let go. There is a category of people, basically minorities in America and South Americans who idolize DBZ and will unironically watch, hype, and enjoy Super (and Jojos) without watching too much else (One Piece included, though they'll jump on certain other bandwagons like Attack on Titan)

On another note, I think One Piece has taken shonen onto a good path from DBZ. One Piece is okay with leaving the perspectives of the main characters to give us more insight into a bigger world. Now you have a more sprawling story style that other mangaka are trying to emulate. Take The Demon's Plan for example. It is trying very hard to have an intricate world with a lot going on. It's not good, however, because new authors are so afraid to get axed that they have to throw out as much as possible as quickly as possible.

One Piece surpassed DBZ in everything long ago. Sales, reader numbers, integrity, et all.

Except worldwide appeal, and that's due to the butchering of a single localization.

>made me kek

Have a (You)

I'm not sure if the localization was the only problem. The 4kids dub didn't help but old school anime was appealing to westerners because it had a more westernized mentality. Nips liked overseas stuff and manga authors were westaboos. One Piece has pirates but it's very Japanese on its core. Meanwhile DBZ is basically a superhero cartoon viewed from Japan.

From what we have heard from 4Kids, it may not have even been entirely their fault. I believe there was some interview a while back explaining the whole fiasco with the One Piece dub. Apparently, One Piece came as part of a package deal while 4Kids was trying acquire more licenses. They never wanted to dub it in the first place because they were aware of the content in the series and they only handle properties aimed at young audiences. Jump shot themselves in the foot by trying to put all their eggs in one basket. If jump hadn't of been so stubborn about making 4kids take on all the projects or if 4Kids had decided to just do the dub right, we could be living a very different world right now. What a shame.

DB is king, Toriyama will never stop milking it for nostaliga bucks worldwide

>This is what Odafags actually believe

>Toriyama, just like Goku, was willing to step aside and let the new kids to handle the business
>20 years later, anime is a niche market only followed by weeaboos shooting memes and jerking off to cute girls doing cute shit
And you guys wonder why Gohan, Goten and Trunks are treated like shit on Super.

One Piece, even with a better dub, would've never caught on in the west. It would've been going up against Naruto and Naruto had basically ever piece of the formula needed to succeed here: cool looking characters having cool ninja fights using cool powers.

One Piece is cartoony looking characters having cartoony fights using cartoony powers.

To put it another way, Naruto is exactly the show that would've been on Toonami at the turn of the millennium. One Piece would've been thrown onto Fox Kids where it would be like Digimon and maybe get an cult (autistic) following but never anything to make it approach Naruto.

Toriyama stopped milking it years ago (he had made dozens one shots after/before DB)

only recently he started coming back with seeing how tragic DB Evolution was, Oda is the milking king WHO WILL NEVER STOP W*N PI*SS

True, One Piece doesn't have that immediate flashy appeal and hook like Naruto and Bleach. Toonami, however, has had series in the past that had slower build ups and still managed to find success. In its native country, One Piece has an incredibly broad audience in terms of age, which may meant broader appeal here as well. It has also gained notable attention among the the Sup Forums crowd whom may have also latched on to it along with the normal anime fans, especial those pulled in when Toonami started Justice League. Over time, the fanbase could have grown if the 4Kids dub had not salted the earth the way it did.

It's not even half as popular as Naruto what the fuck makes you think it's more popular than Dragon Ball?

Only japanese care about wan piss

>anime is a niche market only followed by weeaboos
You don't even what a weeaboo is. Fuck off to your home board, retard.

serious question. Never seen or read any of DB, but I'm a huge One Piece fan. Would Dragon Ball be worth watching or reading at this juncture?

Read the manga first then watch Kai.

I've read the smallest bit of it, but it's mostly just raunchy jokes...when does it actually get....good?

no, because nostalgiafags and /or normalfags will always exist

>when does it actually get....good?
Always gonna have some juvenile humor but it's best when it gets past the first arc. The tournaments are simple and the art is great. Nice little adventure series.

>and that's due to the butchering of a single localization.

That would be a 50% of probability. In reality, and like that other user already mentioned, it all comes to the level of appeal the series can get.

I, for example, detest Naruto, but I understand why it got so popular: Cool Ninjas and edginess.

>I, for example, detest Naruto, but I understand why it got so popular: Cool Ninjas and edginess

And with this, I mean in the west. In Japan can be applied the same with One Piece: Goofy and adventurous Pirates going out on adventures.

You guys cant blame 4kids. It definitely wasnt 4kids.

One Piece is my favorite manga but it's WAY too cartoony compared to other shonen. Westerners like their anime more like "manime".

Besides, the 4kids intro for OP is probably one of the best openings no lie.

when does one piece get good?

i read like 800 chapters of this piece of shit and i'm still not impressed

You need DB to OP even exist.

DB is the biggest franchise ever.

Luffy's last fight with Crocodile in Alabasta. At that moment.

pretty sure Pokemon has more noltagiafags than DB

If one piece is trending on Facebook and Twitter in 2030 then we can say it has at least caught up to DB

The Toonnami audiance does eat up the large spectacle, battle shonen like DBZ, Naruto and Bleach, but those aren't the only things that have been successful there. Slow paced shows with less violence like GitS, Inuyasha and Eureka Seven have done well. Comedies like Bobobo, Space Dandy and Zatch Bell have had good runs as well. I can't really see anything about One Piece that would necessarily be a nail in the coffin for the series' success. It wouldn't be an overnight hit like the others, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would flop either.

Dragon Ball arrived fairly late in the us. In france for example, we were watching dragon ball as soon as 1988, so here, dragon ball (and z) are more a nostalgiafag thing. Here it's naruto the first shonen.

Also, take into account that the us are in fact a small market for manga

Naruto:
Japan: 1 000 000 - 1 200 000
France: 200 000
US: 18 000 - 28 000
One Piece:
Japan: 2 900 000 - 3 100 000
France: 150 000 - 170 000
US: 5200 - 5400
Fairy Tail:
Japan: 450 000 - 490 000
France: 90 000 - 115 000
US: 2700 - 3000

>spiritual successor to Dragon Ball
That's Naruto

People like to blame 4kids for One Pieces failure to wow the west but really all the changes they made fit with the general theme.
Japan liked Dragon Ball because of the wacky journey aspect of the childhood goku (which is what One Piece is based on) but Americans loved it for the fighting aspect of the adult goku

Even if 4kids hadn't come through and censored shit and cut content like crazy it never would've been popular

You have no idea what spiritual successor means, do you?

>naruto
>posts hinashit...

this is why people dont like narutards.
Naruto was great until it started pandering to shits like hinafaggs.

>kek

>US: 5200 - 5400
>US: 2700 - 3000
Holy shit I knew most manga didn't sell as much in the US but that's still lower than I expected. How is it even profitable?

Number of anime inspired by One Piece: Zero (kek)

Number of anime inspired by Dragon Ball: So many you can't even count them

I think we know who's king here.

>In france for example, we were watching dragon ball as soon as 1988

I always found that weird. Was Dragon Ball popular in Europe in the 80s? Because they got games and stuff localized there.

I was 10 in 88.
In France, we had tons of anime like Conan, Princess Sarah, Heidi, etc. but Dragon Ball was maybe the first widestream shonen on TV, as soon as 88.
I followed it religiously until high school.

>Wan Piss
>Dragon Balls
> quirky, simplex and epic story

how retarded are you to read 800 chapters of something that you dont like?

Dragonball has had such immense influence, I don't think One Piece has had as much of an impact purely based on that.

As a series One Piece works better. Dragonball is such a mess of titles, even Z is all over the map and that's just the second one.

and really, the adventure of One Piece is just so much more focused and together with a larger and solid main cast that actually stays relevant, even if it's out of combat mostly.

because people kept saying this shit would get better

in the end it was complete shit since chapter 1
the story keeps repeating itself
the characters get no development
it's just fucking terrible

no it's because One Piece is bland and appeals mostly to Japanese.

Guess you never heard of Fairy Tail, the poor man's One Piece.

Just skip it and read Dr. Slump instead

Sakurafag pls you have no idea what you are talking about.

The problem is that One Piece owes so much to Dragon Ball, you can't know if One Piece is bigger (though it probably will be) until you get a generation of mangaka that claim Oda as their main influence just as Oda was part of a generation that all claimed Toriyama

We're getting to that time now where we'll finally get to see a new generation potentially inspired by Oda as a lot of the Toriyama followers are ending their series

It gets good at around volume 9 and it gets great around volume 14.

Dragon Ball is utter garbage compared to One Piece in every way, even just compared to the first 200 chapters of One Piece.

The world building, depth, action, story and everything is just hundred times better. Even the humor. And it's hotter, too.

Are you an idiot?

And Super is pure cancer which just killed the entire franchise... Super Saiyans don't even look like in your picture anymore, they completely dropped the Aryan hommage and went with some retarded SJW danger color which makes zero sense.

This.

T O E I
O
E
I

what happened with Ruffy's wife

Fun fact: One Piece stopped being good after Alabasta.

I'm not a One Piece fan but I find it mildly entertaining and once in a while check up the current arc to see if something cool has happened recently. It never really grew up on me I wasn't dragged by its style I was with Dragon Ball but I understand why it's popular and it's mark in shonen manga history is irrefutable.

Seeing that Super runs mainly on nostalgia and One Piece is still going fresh and strong I think I can believe the claims of it surpassing its predecessor at least in Japan even if I prefer to watch Goku & Friends.

I wonder if Luffy will find One Piece within our lifetime.

>I wonder if Luffy will find One Piece within our lifetime.

I'm still betting that the One Piece is a Space Ship with a Star Chart roughly describing a Space One Piece. The series needs something to keep it going after the crew explores the entire fucking world.

>hating on Enies Lobby and the Whitebeard saga
I haven't been in touch with One Piece for a long time now, but witnessing these two sagas as they came out together with the rest of fandom was such a magical experience

Its hard to quantify. OP probably brings in more money just from its success in Japan than DB does Worldwide. DB specifically DBZ though seems to be a hit with more audiences though. Makes sense especially here in america. No one cares about Dragon Ball its all about DBZ. So I can see why OP never took off that big especially since it had to compete with Naruto. I wonder how Naruto being over will affect it.

CLUB DOROTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's already years too late for One Piece. People say that probably wouldn't have a chance against Naruto if it also got the Toonami treatment, but I think in the early years it would also be a heavy hitter just like Naruto. Back then Naruto was known as that ninja show about a kid who wanted to be a village leader, and Bleach was known as that supernatural samurai show. One Piece is mostly known in the west for it's goofy pirate rap.

At the end of the day, Naruto and Bleach got the better end of the deal, and if One Piece was given the same deal, it would have been just like them.

I think in the long run One Piece is the most successful. It might not have gotten a chance to be a mega hit outside of Japan, but its definitely a moderate success and still has the steam to run for at least another 10 years.

Within Japan, it is a phenomenon, but outside it's pretty much "Yeah, it's cool." to people.

It's just a shitposter who hangs out in OP threads to do nothing more. Ignore it.

She's about to have her Shichibukai status abolished

True. Most people I know in real life are One Piece fags though funny enough. After the Bleach anime ended it pretty much dropped off the face of the planet for me. Never heard about it again. Didn't even see people talk about the ending even though it was terrible.

Is it "Zoro" or is the result of L and R being basically the same in Nipland making it actually "Zolo"?

Dragon Ball had four butchered localizations and it didn't stop it

The anime had a good ending compared to the manga.

Zoro is the official.

But it only became a real phenomenon when the manga was around enny lobies right?

If you think One Piece is very Japanese, I wonder what you think of Naruto. Naruto is extremely popular in the west so I don't think localization is the issue, especially since One Piece isn't as Japanese as u make it sound.

Zoro official localizations use Zolo to avoid copyright issues.
None of them are as bad as what happened to One Piece.
I think a lot of westerners see anime as cartoons, but for adults. Naruto hits all the notes they want to see. Its edgy and sleek. OP touches on its fair share of mature subjects, but its light on melodrama and remembers its a comic for young boys. Doesn't help the localization company was literally called 4kids.

Airing Z first definitely spoiled a lot of US fans. Earliy Toonami could of easliy plowed through Dragon Ball 5 days a week had it been fully dubbed at the time. Then moved on to Z insted of repeating after Goku vs Rakum over and over.

Dragon Ball had butchered localizations in a time where butchered localizations were the norm. 4Kids' One Piece was coming out at a time where one could watch the entire series fansubbed and know that it was a shitty localization (and read the manga which also wasn't a thing when DB aired in the States)

>One Piece, even with a better dub, would've never caught on in the west
Eh, we don't really know that for sure do we? I mean, it never had the same chances shows that did become popular in the West got. It never came on Toonami (well it did but not during Toonami's "every day" years and it was the 4Kids dub first). Yeah, Naruto only came on during the Saturday Toonami too but that had a much better dub and less cut out.

Also, it never got a consistent home release, certainly not an uncut one until, again, years later, it definitely didn't get as much advertising as it should and unlike the popular anime in the West, it came out at a time where people who actually did care could just watch the original and realize how much better that was.

One piece will never surpass what DBZ did, but one piece will be it's own Giant in terms of a shonen. While Dragonball lives for awesome fights, one piece lives for adventure.

None of the people reared on DBZ gave a shit about DB to be honest. Still don't to tell you the truth.

Look at how poorly DB did with the DBZ audience when they tried to air it.

dragon ball cause normies

>One Piece would've been thrown onto Fox Kids where it would be like Digimon and maybe get an cult (autistic) following but never anything to make it approach Naruto.
that's what happened though.
You are right though. People who are into anime are young teens and up. They like it because it is different and still a cartoon with more violence and bad language. The west gravitates to Naruto because of the Ninja motif and the fact it's not as cartoony as one piece. One piece though is like Pixar in Japan. Everyone lives one piece and enjoys it like people do in the west with Pixar movies. If more people would look at One Piece like that instead of the cringey young teen angst that people consider anime as a whole now, it would be more popular.

yeah mind you it goes from gag comic to action. IYou can see where One Piece is heavily influenced by dragonball in terms of characters and creativity.

>One piece though is like McDonald's in Japan. Everyone loves one piece and enjoys it like people do in the west with shit burgers. If more people would look at One Piece like jelly donuts instead of the cringey young teen angst that people consider anime as a whole now, it would be more popular.

ftfy

DB had adventure and humor. DBZ is gay erotica of men shouting at each other and "raising their power level" for 20 minutes, but osmehow that's exactly what the people want.

Blame the artstyle choice

Even Naruto surpassed DB long ago.

Currently in Japan: One Piece
Worldwide: DB
Peak of popularity in Japan: DB
Peak of popularity Worldwide: DB

DB hit the higher highs and is overall still a bigger franchise than OPM.

I think people just like the novelty.

Americans like Naruto because its about ninjas(Japanese) it has an eastern feel and thats what makes it seem cool to young kids watching it.Naruto is about as eastern as anime can get so its big in the west.

Japanese people are interested in novelty too. They like western things, thats why dbz is so popular. It's caucasians with bright blonde hair and big muscles. Not asians. One piece is about as western as anime can get so its big in the east.

I mean, honestly if you like one piece before 4kids youd probably hate it on censored and ignore it. But kids who are new to it wouldnt know its censored...and lets be honest censorship doesnt matter to kids. They don't know what they are missing because unlike an anime fan they havnt SEEN IT BEFORE.

Naruto is the king among weeaboos, it isn't a mainstream phenomenon like DBZ.

>this is why people dont like narutards.

Nardo threads became far more accepted on Sup Forums after the "pandering." Sup Forums exploded with The Last's album reveal.

Though I wonder if this faggot is actually serious or if this is basically a copypasta. That filename is.

4archive.org/board/a/thread/138794785

Well. He's been doing this for over a year so I figure he'll continue whether I feed him or not.

>standalone quality.

Yes, it did.

> in popularity and legacy

No, it will never happen. Dragon ball had way too much impact on the 90-2000 youth. One Piece will always be "the thing that came after DB".

so Japan is not part of the world?

>One Piece
>bland
yeah no, it is more vivid and varied than pretty any other battle manga

Fun fact: You never stopped being a faggot with shit taste

butthurt Toriyama cockscuker in denial detected

>As a series One Piece works better. Dragonball is such a mess of titles, even Z is all over the map and that's just the second one.

What are you talking about? DB, DBZ, and then DBS.

Simple shit.

You have to be 18+ to post here.